Discussion Suggestions for must-read novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's your first time! \(^^)/

Mahou-nii-sama likes this.
  2. clockstrikesmera

clockstrikesmera Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another one similar to this is Sansheng, Wangchuan Wu Shang. THIS IS A MUST READ FOR NEW CN ROMANCE READERS! It's a really heartwarming and sweet story and I reread it when I got nothing else. :)

chencking likes this.
  3. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out

4. bighandxyz

bighandxyz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kuro no maou is pretty underrated, though it is fairly slow.

And MC loses a lot and is incredibly weak for like the first 200 chapters, so I guess not a cup of tea for many when popular novel these days have MC that pierces the heaven, take no nonsense, and never have real setbacks.

But if you're looking for some world building and somewhat human related realism, with a "loser" MC its a very good series.

5. MiyaMira

MiyaMira Jobseeking Sloth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Certified Imouto

Reading List:
    Link
    I was looking for people to recommend The Bathroom Goddess. Why isn't anybody recommending this?? http://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-bathroom-goddess/ I mean, it has nice fantasy, good story line, great translation (great thanks to Este-sama) and most importantly, NAKED GODDESS!!! Oh, and it's completed too :3

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *nod nod*

Perhaps people considered it as good, but not a must-read... I remember liking it quite a bit, but there were others I liked more.

7. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    I would recommend My Disciple Died Yet Again. Mainly because it makes fun of the parodies of Xianxia! It also contains it's own uniqueness and is entertaining!

8. Nykooo

Nykooo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The translation just appeared a few days ago, but Green Skin is hilarious at this point. With 11 chapter overall (Prologue included), this korean translation tells the story of a guy reincarnated as a monster and not as hero. It's a good read and I recommand getting in on it as early as you can.
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/green-skin-2/

9. Pyrenose

Pyrenose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone Else is a Returnee (Korean)
    It has okay comedy and quality translations (thanks KobatoChanDaisuki). It's one of the better-translated novels on this site and is really consistent with the world building and character development. Even the chapters featuring side chapters are enjoyable (which, I really can't say for some other novels).

Akuyaku Reijo Ni Koi Wo Shite (Japanese)
    It has great world-building, although a slightly slow beginning. Once you get past the first few chapters and manage to revel in how amazing the main character is, you'll fall in love with the novel. The main character is really well-developed in terms of ambition and motivation, and most, if not all characters are very well developed. Feelings are very appropriately conveyed to the point where the characters that the main character despises, you despise too. I wasn't a big fan of otome game novels, but this is definitely worth a read.

The New Gate (Japanese) (Game)
    Great world building, quality translation where almost nothing is really awkward, and a wide variety of characters to follow. It's a great mix of light comedy, hard game element action, and romance (heartbreak is real). Update speed is a little slow, but plot is very addictive. It also has a manga adaptation.

10. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything (thus far) by Er Gen; I Shall Seal The Heavens (aforementioned), Renagade Immortal, A Will Eternal, Beseech the Heavens & 1 other (it's in my Reading list.
    I believe they are good for beginners as not only do they encompass all the great elements of Wuxia/Xanxia, they are well written, detailed, with great plots, do not suffer from the rinse & repeat symptoms, the MCs & supports are all memorable (including villains), if something's pops up... Expect it to possibly be important & to be off times pleasantly surprised at the ways problem are solved & lastly; if you like characters with an exceeding flaw, MCs who can on occassiin leave you rolling, gasping for air & people who understandably change over time...
    Oh as well as some of the most shameless MCs(in a funny way) in the history of the genre, go Er Gen.

I can agree with you on Mushoku Tensei entirely, that entire novel was gold (& me saying that about an LN is rare praise). The entirety if Rudeus's struggle made an OP end character that I respected, laughed with, cried with, got angry for & happy with. Felt pleasure at his marriage & cringed for him (while laughing) everytime he brought home a new woman. Great story.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2017
  11. vanana

vanana Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My Newbie Completed Novel Starter Pack

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Skoll likes this.
  12. Corensi

Corensi Maiden of Purity

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally love Half Prince. IDK why. Most people would find it off-putting since it's a bit weird, especially with its takes on romance. But that's what makes it nicer for me.

The whole thing is set in a sometimes sci-fi, sometimes fantasy world (because of its premise of being in a VRMMO). The female protag, due to being annoyed with her brother, chooses to play as a male in the newest and most anticipated VRMMO which is Second Life. Normally, this wouldn't be allowed since the game aims for a realistic gaming experience. However, the MC is the first player to log in, so she has this "wish" granted. Surprisingly, she is damn handsome as a guy, leading to numerous problems with being mobbed by ravenous women. Her screen name is Prince.

Soon, she meets with incredibly odd people who later on become her party members. At first, she takes on the game, aiming to become a legend, with these new people . Along the way, she meets with numerous players and later on, her brother, who doesn't realize it's her. She then becomes particularly famous, especially because of her looks and skills.

But at some point, the novel shows us a new perspective. And that is the MCs real life as the girl who plays as Prince. Since her chara is famous, she's made some enemies of lots of people. Moreover, she doesn't want others to find out that she's a tranny, so she keeps her identity a secret. To her surprise, the players whom she clashed and cooperated with are closer than she thinks.

I adore how this novel explores both the in-game life and real life of the MC. The thrill and comedy brought by the premise of keeping her identity a secret is something I love love love about it. Aside from that, there's quirky characters and unexpected connections. Most of all, there's Prince, who is sometimes amazing and sometimes dense.

All in all, I recommend this novel. It's one of the first ones I've read.

AliceShiki likes this.
  13. Pablo M. Linares

Pablo M. Linares New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So much suggestion that it's gonna take forever to finish reading these.

14. Grandpa_World

Grandpa_World Manly Man-Mob Character C-Lovely Hubby of Alexcia

Reading List:
    Link
    Did anyone recommend The Girl Who Ate a Death God? Probably one of the best light novels I have ever read.

15. halcYONder

halcYONder Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still, Wait for Me.
    A grand story about life.

"
    It's very promising and nicely written in many aspects and you should give it a shot. At least try the first 5 chapters.

The story is the familiar second chance type novel where the MC dies and returns to his younger self. His goal after getting this second chance is to fix all the regrets of his past life. The biggest regret being not getting together with his past love. Now, this is NOT a second chance story that's all about chasing after that past love. The story and MC doesn't waste his second chance just for one girl. Yes, that romance is a large part of it, but there are so many regrets that he wishes to change. It isn't like Rebirth Thief or MMORPG Guardian or Very Pure and Ambiguous when it comes to the action of our MC. It's a much more realistic and meaningful second chance (at least based on these 15 chapters)

Overall if you're looking for a second chance, travel back in time type novel with a likable MC in a realistic setting with good emotion, excellent writing, and great promise check it out. Let's hope it remains this good. It does have things that I hope it can improve, but so far it's a good read better than most other Chinese novels on NU."
    Synopsis:
    Inexplicably reborn in the year 2003, having failed terribly in his previous life, the prevailing concern with Xu Tingsheng, that stands above all else, is none other than her. But alas, he is just months away from entering university, while she is but in her first year of junior high… Regarding this, all he can do is wait silently…for now.

In the meantime, other matters remain. There were quite a few things that went…rather badly, back then. Given the chance to change things, how would it not be the best decision to give that roulette wheel another spin with the odds stacked a better way, to attempt to change those dismal fates? And in some matters, does the alternative even truly exist? Hence flaps the butterfly’s wings…

In Xu Tingsheng’s new ‘second chance’ life, the power of foreknowledge coupled with intelligence pre-empts excellence, and that, coupled with personal charisma and character, begets women. Here he strives for success, while always keeping foremost in his mind that for which he exists, that which his achievements are ultimately meant to protect and cherish. And amidst all this, the season of youth does bloom for the young, deep, complicated romance and spontaneous, hot-blooded fighting never failing to inspire.

Philosophical and deep amidst the great, original tale of modernity it tells, this is a thought-provoking story of life, on life, on living.

16. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    A will eternal/a thought through eternity
    Through love and friendship one great character will be forged by er gen.
    Through love and friendship one happy team will climb the gaming world to stand on the apex together
    Emperor's domination
    Through many lived years one character will rule the world for all eons as the one and only true dominating emperor
    Tales of demons and gods
    Through a cheat book and sad memories a rightous man will conquer the hearts of all beautiful ladies
    Against the gods
    Against logic a man will conquer the world's most beautiful virgin women and make children
    True martial world
    A wonderful story of cultivation that will have dual cultivation too

I should actually right synopsis for stories

17. Dastaan

Dastaan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Against the Gods
    Infinite competitive dungeon
    This tutorial is too hard
    Reincarnator
    Thief who roamed the world
    I don't know about their genre but they are pretty awesome

18. SirPinha

SirPinha #Vaporwave

Reading List:
    Link
    I highly recomend Pure Love x Insult Complex for those who wish to read something more mature... Don't turn it down becouse of The NETORI tag... As i've said Its a complete mature novel ( of course has a lot of sex ) but it has actualy a good plot and is full of good characters... All of them have their personality, their problens and such... Again Its a mature novel, but give it a try... You will not be displeased.

Eyox and Akashura like this.
  19. sherbet

sherbet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just going off of what I see on the OP and not reading what other people have put.

Korean: I'm Sorry for Being Born In This World
    >> Genres, um, I'd say horror and reincarnation in another world (sorta, you could also call it summoning/transmigration). Reason it's good for a beginner is because it's rather different from the typical novel, but does include some interesting aspects that are similar to Japanese novels. I like it because the protagonist is really more of an antagonist and is able to come up with many interesting ways to defeat those he's set against. It can be quite gory and horrifying, though, so that's a good thing to avoid if you're squeamish. Trying not to put any spoilers, so sorry if I'm vague. ^ ^

Japanese:
    1. Evil God Average
    >> Genre is transmigration or comedy. This is a good one because it's an interesting take on how gods can potentially come to be in fantasy worlds. It's also completed currently, so that's a plus. It's easy to read and cute, as well as not the sort of male-oriented harem novel that many translated Japanese novels have turned out to be.
    2. I Appear to have been Reincarnated as a Love Interest in an Otome Game
    >> This one is a reincarnation into another world and also passes as romance and comedy. Rather than being the typical "I must break out of the original plot line at all costs" type of thing, the main character does his hardest to pursue a certain someone, and there are several other interesting twists that are spoilers and I'm not going into. I thought it was quite unique to have a male character in an otome game for once, and one who isn't gay and doesn't end up creating a harem (or reverse harem if that's what you'd prefer to call it). Again, easy to read, and I believe it is finished now, haven't caught up recently, but good story with an interesting plot that can catch you off guard.

Chinese:
    Why aren't there any comedies listed on the Chinese one yet, huh???
    Anyways, here goes.
    1. Sansheng, Death Exists Not at the Road of Oblivion (original version)
    >> This is a romance novel primarily, subgenres being reincarnation and world traveling, I guess. This is a wonderful novel and beautifully translated (I can't confirm if it's 100% accurate, but it's very well-done whether or not it's perfect). The main character's interactions with the male lead are extremely interesting in each life and it's full of emotion. It's an excellent representation of how deep Chinese romance novels can delve and the ending is sweet, heart-rending, and perfect in every way. Naturally, some people out there will probably disagree with me, but if realistic and deep romances are your thing, this is the novel for you.
    2. Come and Eat, Shan Shan
    >> I want to say this is mostly comedy, with the next genre being romance. This is a very cute story and the MC is kind of very ditzy, so if you hate dumb MCs with a passion, you probably should avoid this one. Luckily, if you just sorta dislike them, you'll find that she's not so stupid it pains your heart and soul to keep reading. Like I said before, this is a very cute story and the MC is very cute. It's good if you just want some laughs and to die from overdose of sugar. I got nothing to say about the male lead, he's pretty typical.
    3. The Legend of the Sun Knight
    >> Primarily comedy, this focuses on the backwards personalities of a group of Knights, each of which are meant to be the representatives of different gods of the world. . . or something. I admit I forgot some of the details, but it really is quite good. By "backwards personalities", I mean that their true selves are completely different from how they act. For example, the Sun Knight is meant to be the most holy and pure, never cussing, etc. Think "saint". However, in private, he- eh, just read the summary, it'll be more effective. Anyway, this story is interesting and very funny and CHINESE COMEDIES NEED TO BE KNOWN *ahem* and contrary to first impressions, there actually are a few hidden motives behind the scenes. Anyway, it's good, it's by Yu Wo, everyone should read at least one of her novels.
    4. Dominion's End
    >> Reincarnation(?), more like transmigration into another world. Apocalypse is probably the closest to the official genre. It has an interesting take on how powers would develop in humans in an apocalyptic world and the protagonist is pretty hardened and down-to-earth. It does have some bl inclinations, but so far there hasn't been anything explicit, just, you know, the usual girl in guy's body attracted to hot guys. . . . Some hints at brother/sister-complexes, but nothing too serious (so far). I think it's one of the better thought out apocalypse stories in Chinese that I've read. If you know about My Girlfriend is a Zombie, then you'll know about that plot hole that'll hopefully be filled in eventually (how they got powers), yeah this story has a similar plot hole, but the trigger event is much more obvious. I'm not saying it's realistic or anything (it's definitely not) and it doesn't always make logical sense, but it does have good character development and so on going for it. It's also another Yu Wo novel, lol.
    Well, I ran out of steam, so that's all for now.

20. Azninvasion

Azninvasion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what category Altina the sword princess would go under for Japanese but this novel definitely gives off the feel of a regular novel which will definitely help a new reader settle into reading novels. It also is a great all around novel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.