Discussion Suggestions for must-read novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zamornews

zamornews Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldnt recommend books that have really slow release. We want to get this noobs addicted, so minimum 3 chap a week up to whatever deathblade is doing

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess Death Flag Otome is a good one, Bakarina is the most well known Otome Game Reincarnation here on NU, it's pretty funny and it's a good one to introduce the genre.

Also helps that the original WN was already completely translated, so the reader will be able to get a good grasp of the original work of the author.

3. HapUgMata

HapUgMata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    though his endings are pretty meh, his story building can capture and make new readers anticipate for the next part...

4. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I shall seal the heaven's

Stellar Transformation and Coiling Dragon

Desolate Era

Swallowing Star

5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    I hear Ichika does do something - mindblowing, I know - just in a yet-to-be-translated volume.

6. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ....Dude not everyone has money to buy them,and ...

They're all in english,some people live in the other half of the world dude...

:(

7. HapUgMata

Reading List:
    Link
    though i i think a story with already descent stock of release(better if finished) would be better for binge reading though...

zamornews likes this.
  8. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Utsuro no hako to zero no maria.
    Mushoku tensei
    Overlord
    Coiling dragon
    Ttnh

9. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to post perfect example of Lolicon genre but luckily I read Parth ninja edit first while I typing.

10. cellimen45

cellimen45 God of Books (self proclaimed) Convert The Bullies

Reading List:
    Link
    Mushoku tensei as for one it has a special place in my heart as my first Asian novel, secondly it's completed, finnaly it's a good classic fantasy Japanese reincarnation novel so people will know what Asian novels are like

Followed by coiling dragon so they can get to know if they like xianxia/xianhuan/wuxia.

Then either martial world or true martial world (xuanhuan) if your a fast reader and can quickly catch up so you can see if you can handle waiting for the next chapter if not then pick a novel without many chapters for the same reason above (the impatient need not read any incomplete novel it won't end well)

Finnaly dungeon defense, suterareta yuusha no eiyuutan, or arifureta (all fantasy) to get a taste of the darker side of Asian novels

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Dalix likes this.
  11. HapUgMata

Reading List:
    Link
    dude we're in the internet...you just need to search around the corner to find most of the things...

Westeller likes this.
  12. pandicorn

pandicorn ® Ruler of Gay Pandas ®

Reading List:
    Link
    VR - LMS, easy enough to follow without super complicated game mumbo jumbo.

Xianxia - CD, personal bias since it was my first novel. Not too long or too short. Its slightly above average giving readers an expectation of what they can get from this genre while still leaving some room for mindblowing.

Anti hero - dungeon defense, anti hero with that convoluted plot is just like lord fifth and lord third. They go well with each other.

Xuanhuan - UGoW. Has all the usual xuanhuan tropes and was well done. Shows the humour of CN novels as well.

Post apocalypse - i'm a bit torn by this. I'm leaning more to reincarnator but that's probably due to the sheer number of chapters. I would recommend Seoul station necro tho. Best MC personality out of all the P-A korean novel and well excecuted.

Honourable mentions - for comedy - ATTE, though I know its xianxia. U just cannot not recommend ATTE, should have a comedy/shamefulness genre on its own

13. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    For LNs, I think Shieldbro is definitely a good start.

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/tate-no-yuusha-no-nariagari-ln/

It's definitely one of the most popular transmigration story and it has a manga to boot it up, so the ones who are used to reading manga can try reading the manga first, then start on the novel. Although, the translation has been taken down so I don't know if this is viable. If it's not viable, then Mushoku Tensei is another good alternative, for one it is a transmigration story, it is completed, and has manga too.

Next up is The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, the gateway towards VR novels and Korean Novels.

I doubt anyone can argue with this, I mean moonlight sculptor is the leading figure in the vr genre, it is the reason why even rrl actually started after all.

Then, it's down to CN Fantasy novels, which means it's Douluo Dalu.

It's cultivation terms are not confusing and straightaway simple, eveyone ( even newbies ) will be able to understand it and it's kinda a gateway to the xianxia/ xuanhuan genre, should they like Douluo Dalu, and seek such more novels, they can turn into xuanhuan novels.

For Xuanhuan novels or let's say Qihuan, Coiling Dragon is simply the best start.

It's cultivation is very simple and understandable, since it is a Qihuan, means that it's western backgrounds, naming, etc will make it easier for westerners to adapt to the Chinese environment, it also introduces the profound mysteries or ' Dao ' in the latter half of the novel which is not confusing at all to beginners and can enlight beginners on what gaining enlightenment to the Dao is. Coiling Dragon actually seemed like it's tailored towards the westerners that I almost want to say that Coiling Dragon is IET and Qidian's plans to go overseas lol.

Next up is definitely the Xianxia genre I Shall Seal The Heavens.

If those who are not able to enjoy Coiling Dragon and wants to give the CN genre another shot, I Shall Seal The Heavens is definitely the best alternative, it is complex so this is not actually recommended for novel newbies but for Web novel newbies instead, which means that they are already used to reading thick covered novels and is just starting on web novels since ISSTH is by no means simple and might cause severe headaches to some new newbies that have only found out web novels through the manga channel.

Other recommendations do include novels like..

- The King's Avatar, tabletop-rpg genre with latter parts focusing on e-sports. It does only cater towards specific audiences, however with the upcoming anihua/ anime/ dong hua or whatever you call it, it will definitely bring a surge of new novel readers.

- Arena, a fantasy Korean novel that is of the "called upon on the alternate world" genre, it's downsides is probably the existent tragedy genre. Can't have something too harsh for the newbies right?

- Transcending The Nine Heavens, a peculiarity among xuanhuan novels, however the cultivation's naming might cause problems to new readers on the genre, unlike Coiling Dragon.

- Release that Witch, should be a good start for those who are used to reading western novels, it is a slice-of-life fantasy with hints of medieval darkness.

- My Ranch, an amazing slice of life novel that is filled with informations, some however do not appreciate these informations and calls them info dumps instead so this might not cater towards those who have just started on reading novels as a whole, but might cater towards those who have just started reading online novels.

- Reincarnator, probably the best introducer towards the apocalypse genre, the latter chapters are not of the standard it is at first though.

Something like this? @Parth37955

Haevrus, asriu and Viola like this.
  14. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    I sympathize with your poverty my friend but while I may have communicated my recommendations in English most of them have been translated into a bunch of other languages as well.

15. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    LMS to prepare you for long long LONG stories. Also a good way to show them the Korean staple.

Coiling Dragon to show them the basics of what Chinese Stories can be like.
    Then give them Stellar Transformation so they know what cultivation is.

Mushoku Tensei for Japanese harem. Also goes to remind them that they're a piece of shit, just like the MC. And that they can change, thankfully.
    Shield Hero as well, for a generally nice story, that's ratehr soft on beginners.

Then Arifureta to show them what cringe and edgey things can turn a novel into...

16. NovelsJapan

NovelsJapan |||Master of T-shirts|||「死にたい」「助けて」

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say against the God and MGA since these are the novels I started with. This could make you get used to the so called arrogant mcs in Chinese novels, and get a hang on the forceful ideology of pushing mc's justice on others

17. HapUgMata

Reading List:
    Link
    Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari for Transmigration Story(explained above)...
    Mushoku Tensei for Reincarnation Story...
    The King's Avatar for Game(not VR but PC game)...
    and a tip, search for your favorite anime and add ln then maybe you'll find a lucky hit...

18. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Coiling Dragon, Legend of The Sun Knight, Dualuo Dalu, Overlord / The irregular at Magic Highschool.

Coiling Dragon because it is a very English friendly translation. RWX chose to use English names and did a very good job translation terms and ideas into English equivalents making it a very easy read where the only thing you really have to focus on is the slight cultural differences and the story itself. Anybody starting out would find a novel like world of cultivation a nigh impossible task which is why the easy and finished Coiling Dragon should be on the list.

Legend of the Sun Knight because it gives a good mix of comedy and seriousness,I think that it shows how fun the genre can be while not going to far. A comedy novel which can still have intensely dramatic moment while not letting go of its lightheartedness. It is also another finished novel giving our new readers a sense of completeness instead of picking up different novels that aren't going to end for awhile. It is good to start with something complete and finish it instead of starting many incomplete things like many of us earlier readers had to.

Dualuo Dalu because Tang Jia San SHao truly does a good job writing action scenes with detail yet not letting it drag on. Fights may be more than one chapter but I think he always keeps it interesting. Tang Jia San Shao generally just has a superb mastery of his genres and his writing so I think putting his works on the newbie list really gives people a good standard. We would not want people reading MGA and saying that it sets the bar for what is good. (People can still like that book but I just don't think anyone can say it compares to the really good stuff on this site)

I think Overlord is a self explanatory pick but essentially there really isn't any other novel on the site that stands up to it in my opinion. It is one of the best. The writing is fantastic, the comedy is great, the action is well described and even as dark as it can get I think that it is all around satisfying because the author makes you cheer for the bad guy even as he slaughters thousands of people. The plot is always moving forward and the author treats side characters as a legitimate tool and not some cheap thing to be thrown in then forgotten about a paragraph later. The members of Blue Rose are side characters but they were written very well and with their leader and Evil eye we have been assured that they are not forgotten. There are many others like this.

The Iregular at Magic Highschool I think does a fantastic job at writing it's own rules and sticking to them. It shows how a good author can create something and stick to it instead of just adding things out of the blue as alot of jp and cn novels do. The characters are also written very well. And even though it does lack in areas it is still of a very high quality and a good read for someone getting into the genre of magic.

Side recommendation would be Mushoku Tensei. It is a complete novel with a good amount of reading required and it really let's someone see the full journey of a MC. I also think it is one of the better reincarnation JP novels out there (regardless of truck-san). I wouldn't give it an award or anything but I think it is a good introductory novel.

This was longer than I thought it would be when I started writing it.

ContagioCuriositas and asriu like this.
  19. LoLzM

LoLzM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did this get a drama adaptation? Because I'm pretty sure I watched it when I around 10 in the Philippines.

20. cheval

cheval Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you want these so called beginners to turn into an addict that will harass the translators for more release? for this, the good but slow-fast release type novels would be good. Legendary moonlight sculptor, Transcending The Nine Heaven, Emperor's domination, Heavy Object, Tempest of the Stellar War, Hail the King(Diablo players would love this)

or do you really want them to appreciate some good asian novels? completed ones. Coiling Dragon, Mushoku Tenshei, Stellar Transformation, Tate Yuusha, Hikaru ga Chikyuu ni Itakoro(this is probably the best romance LN from japan I've read), Manuscript screening boy.

btw I just knew that they made cheating craft into an anime...since when japanese people appreciate chinese?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.