LCD The Book Eating Magician

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Land Of Tea, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Daoist Deux

Daoist Deux Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm dunno, lets see how it will play in the future.

Also interesting side now googling the title of the novel 1st result is NU and 2nd and 3rd are other sites than WW.

2. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "For that reason, previous Pupil Tournaments the final token count had been somewhere in the range of 30 to 40 tokens." Apparently, the author has already forgotten that this is the first time they've used tokens.

With that many high class magicians, how could they fail to notice that he used Memorize? How does he plan to explain it when he definitely doesn't have the ability to simulcast three spells?

The book has to be magical for Gluttony to be interested.

0000000 likes this.
  3. bob3002

bob3002 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to say, the structure of the pupil tournament is really bad if they were trying to construct a ranking instead of just choosing a champion. A few reasons:

1. You're 100% eliminated as soon as you lose. So if Theo beats Sylvia she's dropping out of the ranking completely instead of dropping to #2.
    2. Sylvia has to accept challenges from anyone just because she's first ranked. No way should Theo with 5 tokens be able to usurp her position with one fight. What if he hadn't fought Phillip? Should he have been able to challenge with only one token?
    3. Theo basically sniped the only challenge against Sylvia because it's almost time for the adult tournament. No one else gets a shot at her, so the champion will be one of the two of them.

As a fan of game design, here is my suggestion for a better tournament:
    Double elimination with 50% of your points being given to your opponent in your first loss and your remaining points being given away after your second loss. On the last day or if there are only 8 players left, take the top 8 scores and do a single-elimination tournament seeded by rank. Final rank is the tier they reach (champion, finalist, semifinalist, quarter-finalist) with ties broken by initial seed.

1. This guarantees that the person who beats you hops your position, because half your points go to him/her. You're still out if you lose a second time.
    2. If a favorite is upset by a dark horse, they at least get a chance to get back into the finals because they only lost half.
    3. Because no one knows how many points are needed to get into the finals, there'll be more people scrambling to challenge others instead of hiding away.
    4. It prevents a champion from avoiding fights from all rivals and only picking on beginners. The winner will have to beat 3 top-8 finishers to win the prize.

(I know the author will never read this rant, but bad tournament design in novels always annoys me.)

Slayer713 likes this.
  4. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Whelp, I am actually hoping that Theo will gets beat to a bloody pulp and Sylvia gets to go into the tournament, letting Theo win just because he is MC is just too BS, I get that Gluttony is impressive along with Mitra, but letting him win just because he has a golden finger is so xianxia. If Sylvia is to lose, I hope that she at least breaks both his legs (and perhaps the third one in between).

5. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm going to throw out a prediction here, based on nothing.

The current score is 1-1. Theo had a fireball in his first two Memorize slots but we don't know what he stored in the third. If he can even the score at 2-2 without using his last trump card, he'll probably either win or they'll mutually defeat each other (probably the best option, a tie would fuel the rivalry). If he has to use it to score the second point he'll probably lose.

6. Midnight Coffee

Midnight Coffee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually agree with you that he should lose, but not quite agree with the, well, horrible description of his injury. Yeah, that's harsh, mate.

If the author somehow made that our MC lose and let him taste the despair of losing again, even after gaining a cheat grimoire, I think this novel will be better. Losing is the best way to learn after all. But at least let him lose with dignity intact.

7. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Friend route ahead!

Anyone shipping TheodoreXSylvia yet?

PS: I still want Sylvia to beat Theo.

Slayer713 likes this.
  8. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This tournament is really stupid. we are never given all the rules but the rules we are given are retarded.

I can understand a free for all elimination rounds due to too many participants, but that should follow the path of "3 losses and you are out" and continue until they winnowed down the contestants enough to have them join a normal tournament.

Heck, with how random it is, people cannot even see the fights properly. And the entire tournament is basically decided by some guy challenging number 1 and winning.

9. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if she'll break through to the fifth circle in the middle of this battle? And if she does, if she'll still wind up losing.

mrttao likes this.
  10. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    She managed to touch 5th circle, but still not yet stabilised.

And yes, she lost to Plot armor and defeat means friendship...

Ok fuck Theodore fucking won because he is the goddamn MC.

Slayer713 and mrttao like this.
  11. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    ...the author is lazy, a lot like most xianxia writers who happen to input shit.

Heck, I am still reading this for Gluttony

Slayer713 and mrttao like this.
  12. bob3002

Reading List:
    Link
    "TL: Some people might’ve forgotten but Memorize slots are determined by number of circles. So he gained four slots after reaching the 4th Circle."

Yep. Totally forgot this. I guessed the match result kind of right, though. Meh. Maybe a training arc coming up?

tskalabri and mrttao like this.
  13. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course Theo going to win he has the cheat Gluttony

mrttao likes this.
  14. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda wish she won. they still could have ended up as friends too, and he could surpass her later, but she deserved this win
    should have been a close one too, win by 1 point

15. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess Theo have to win to pay Vince his expense and buy additional rare candy(artifacts) to lvl up Theo. Since Vince has spend alot of gold just to defeat Sylvia.
    [​IMG]
    Theo also need to graduate cause he already learn all the school teaches (Yay no more boring School Arc!!)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    mrttao likes this.
  16. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Getting the feeling that Theo is getting dragged into Red Tower soon. Which is fun, seeing how Theo struggles more.

Slayer713 likes this.
  17. JinVodka

Reading List:
    Link
    Wonder if ever there is a crazy magician who want to experiment Theo cause of Gluttony lol

mrttao likes this.
  18. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With a power like this it's an inevitability.

He's either going to get careless and bring out the tongue in a public location, Gluttony will come out on its own in a public location, or someone (like that Blue Tower guy) will recognize a trademark spell from a powerful magician that will cause an investigation.

mrttao likes this.
  19. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda the reason why Vince told Theodore to be careful. Even though Gluttony cannot be transfered, some might still try and do stupid shit. Also, did the author state anything about slavery magic? If so, Theo might get hit by one from a powerful mage soon after knowing about Gluttony.

JinVodka likes this.
  20. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I'm more upset by the fact that an otherwise decent battle ended in the standard power contest that you see in any generic shounen series. Its even more grating since the MC himself pointed out the stupidity of such a tactic just a few days before.

mrttao likes this.