Spoiler The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by jossy48, Jan 16, 2017.

1. jossy48

jossy48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So i just watched the movie, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which i had hesitated to watch as i heard it was sad. It is sad. I had a few questions regarding it though.

I was confused about the painting and its connection between the aunt and Chiaki. Also is the aunt also Makoto? I just need clarifications

2. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    One a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the saddest, how sad is it?

3. jossy48

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not too sad to be honest. It mostly just give you emotions, so i will say 4.

akki likes this.
  4. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that doesn't sound too bad actually. I might check it out then~

jossy48 likes this.
  5. jossy48

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea, you should. I found the movie more of a reflection on life choices than anything else.

6. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Wew
    Another movie to watch I see
    (If I already haven't watched it cause I don't remember)

7. jossy48

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand. I do the same, i have a list of anime shows to watch, and novels to read, but i may not get to them or completely forget i watched/read them lol

8. OverlyFriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah lol :(
    It happens a lot
    Sometimes I even have to rewatch most of it till I remember >_>
    Or I know I've watched it but completely forgot what it was about :(

9. jossy48

Reading List:
    Link
    That happens so much to me too with mangas and novels when they are not finished. I even had to make a new reading list on NU called Rereading since i have forgotten where the plot is going and characters, so i have to start over reading them

10. OverlyFriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly
    I especially have to do that to novels that have similar plots to others
    I've even had to reread a novel twice before :(

jossy48 likes this.
  11. Lawlyeth

Lawlyeth [Gorrila Warfare Expert]

Reading List:
    Link
    The ending is fucked up

I've found this anime bad , the plot is non-existant and the ending is
    a freaking cliffhanger *flip the table*
    The plot is too open and nothing is explained , what the fuck is the painting , the aunt , the everything .

Well , I'm comparing this anime with others that talk about romance or/and time travel and other cultural works with similars tags and it isn't so awesome.

They've done a previous anime 20years ago with the same name , apparently it's almost identical , guys thought it's about the aunt but it wasn't , but this time the ending isn't open/cliff but a very sad one :
    what's-his-name (I guess the character upon which Chiaki is inspired) goes back to the future and leaves what's-her-name (ditto for Makoto) -- but erases her memories when he goes. Then he comes back many years later, and visits her at her job (which is a pharmaceutical company). She, obviously, doesn't recognize him and he doesn't attempt to really talk to her... it's like he just went there to check on her. Plus, she was engaged to marry the other guy (I guess ditto for Kensuke)... in the live-action movie they made the other friend fall for Makoto but she didn't like him. So basically it seems to me that it was a miserable ending! She was obviously unhappy and just stuck to the decision of marrying someone who liked her, even if she didn't like him in return.

I don't recomend this anime , well maybe if I would've seen this anime when it was out (2006) I would have appreciated it because it was when this kind of open ending was the thing , but not in 2017 , it's just stubborn/dumb

Even if , in others open ending there's clues about the plot there and there , but not there , when I googled the most voted explanation of the plot is
    The bae is a traveler pimp that got both her aunt and the MC in order to take care of the painting ?!

The romance is fucked up (I repeat but well)
    The MC bae is going out with another girl right before the last rewind , bae most loyal award

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  12. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you spoil me the ending? I also heard it was sad that's why I'm avoiding it. Is it like 5 centimeters per second?

13. Lawlyeth

Lawlyeth [Gorrila Warfare Expert]

Reading List:
    Link
    I will not only spoil you the ending , I will spoil you everything !
    So here's this girl that can rewind time , she uses it to make dumb things like not waking up late or getting rekted by a train (not so dumb that last one)
    She's explaining her superpowers to her aunt which totally believe her and explain her how it works' (dafuk) while repairing a painting an talking about her love that she's still waiting since highschool.
    She has a limited number of uses of rewind , when she used them all she realised that it lead to the death of bestfriend B
    But in fact bestfriend A is a time traveler of the future , he rewind a little and undo in order to save bestfriend B , and he explain her that indeed he come from the future and it's his fault that she can rewind , he also explain the he came here because the painting is important and it's lost in the future (nothing more) and that he used his last rewind for saving the friend and since he explained to a non-traveler time travel he has to go back (so he go back,pouf)

Then she realised that since he undoed her last rewind she has now one more rewind , she rewind to her first rewind and explain it to him that she knows everything.
    He say to her that he will wait for her on a quite touching scene (sunrise , cries of the MC , and shit)
    Pouf it directly goes to the next day where the school learn that he went to study aboard , she isn't sad and say that she knows what she want to do in the future (maybe reparing fucking paintings)

Lil explanations about the romance :
    Bestfriend A asked the MC to go out during a travel , but each time she rewinded because she found it akward (4-5rewind)
    She didn't do the said travel and then the guy started going out with another girl (yeah...)
    She surely realised her feelings the first time he goes back to the future or something.
    There's also some hints there and there about a possible love story between her and bestfriend B , but it's fucked up in the general view

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017