Novel The Great Game - The Young Master (Ch.308) [finished]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by rdawv, Apr 20, 2016.

1. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    “I love it when a plan comes together.”
    --Hannibal Smith, ‘The A-Team’

Chapter 151 – Clean up

There was an awful silence once Commander Wang Hong died.

The dozen Imperial Guards who had followed him were aghast as their commander fell to the ground after being speared in the throat by Zhao Sunli the War Goddess. None of them knew what to do, and they stood in mute horror as their commander shuffled off the mortal coil.

Sheltered in the shade of the Ma clan’s residence was Huang Ming. His hands were behind his back and a lazy smile was on his face as he looked on at the scene in satisfaction.

This was the outcome planned by Huang Ming: to have Wang Hong killed at a time when he least expected it.

“Wang Hong has put up his guard lately, it would be difficult for you to fish him out of the safety of his home,” Huang Lang had cautioned.

“He is a man of many vices, he will be easily tempted out,” Huang Ming said.

“You have read too many novels. Wang Hong is rough but not stupid,” Huang Lang said sceptically.

“It doesn’t matter if he is suspicious or not,” Huang Ming argued. “All that matters is that we attempt to entice him. If he’s a fool, he will be tempted by the wine. If he is suspicious, he will want to investigate and catch us.”

Huang Lang nodded. “Fine, but how would you do it?”

“I have already written to Ma Jun, he will do so-and-so,” Huang Ming replied.

In his letter to his friend the Wine Barrel, Huang Ming had detailed certain instructions. Ma Jun was to enter the capital with his finest wines and make his arrival as loud and conspicuous as possible to attract the attention of Wang Hong.

Coupled with rumours spread by the planted agents of Huang Lang and Cao Shuang, the capital was soon abuzz with the fictitious Ma clan competition. In reality, all the wagons that entered the capital belong to Ma Jun’s business, he simply had them enter the capital on various intervals and from different directions to give the impression of a widespread gathering.

The scheme was helped somewhat by Ma Jun’s very real products. Ma Jun really did run a brewery and he saw the entire plot as an opportunity for him to expand the family business. When he received Huang Ming’s letter, he wasted no time in selecting his family’s best (and most expensive) product and chartered a fleet of wagons for the masquerade before any of his clan elders could protest at his recklessness.

However, rumours and excellent product were not enough to draw out Wang Hong. The final piece of the puzzle was General Yin Yanzhao the North Star.

Someone was needed to nudge Wang Hong into action, and the general readily agreed to Huang Ming’s plan.

“I cannot help you search the Jin ambassador for your Nangong Xie, but this is something I can do,” the general had said when they met.

Huang Ming had the sneaky suspicion that the presence of Sunli in that meeting played a part in the general’s decision. Sunli herself remained unaware of her influence, she merely nodded in gratitude. The martial-minded woman was eager for the plan to proceed, as she was to deliver the actual deadly blow itself.

Such was the suddenness of her attack that even a powerful man like Wang Hong stood no chance at all. The way she shook her silver spear to flick away the blood after the killing blow made it all seem so casual, as if she was doing something simple as picking something out of her pocket.

None of Wang Hong’s Imperial Guard moved to retaliate. Indeed, when Sunli’s eyes turned to glare at them, a few of the men backtracked in fear. But before they could break into an escape, General Yin took advantage of their poor morale.

The general seized a spear from one of the men who surrounded him and quickly dispatched its previous owner. In a sequence worthy of an action film, the general brandished the spear with skill and broke free of the encirclement to stand with Sunli, side-by-side.

The duo nodded silently at each other and came to an unspoken agreement, charging simultaneously at the bewildered Imperial Guards.

Huang Ming did not see the point to do more than to watch on from his vantage point. The Imperial Guards were armoured and armed with spears, they were beyond the reach of his wristblade.

Besides, there was no stopping the War Goddess and the North Star. They worked seamlessly together, switching positions and covering each other as their spears struck left and right, high and low at Wang Hong’s men. Soon they lay dead, joining their deceased commander on the ground.

The courtyard which was filled with the sweet aroma of alcohol mere moments ago was now awash in the rusty smell of blood and sweat.

“Well done,” the general praised.

“Indeed,” Huang Ming said as he approached. “Thank you for your aid, General Yin. The King will know of your service.”

“Well, I certainly hope so,” the general remarked lightly. “Otherwise I would be labelled as a traitor for participating in the murder of the Commander of the King’s Imperial Guard.”

Despite the bloody grounds they were in, Huang Ming smiled.

“Do not worry about it, I have already informed the king long ago,” he said.

General Yin arched an eyebrow. “You were so confident? What if I had failed and Wang Hong never came here?”

“Then I would have made another plan. But there was no doubting your success, o’ General,” Huang Ming said. ‘You were a very convincing actor,’ he left unsaid.

Huang Ming had covertly spied on the entire drama, and the general’s acting to lull Wang Hong into the trap was very telling. The general played his role to perfection, like someone who was experienced with wearing a mask to hide the truth.

Had Huang Ming voiced this observation, he would have been ridiculed and be accused of jealousy. General Yin Yanzhao the North Star was a famous patriot, a respected figure from a long family line that defended Wu’s northern borders stalwartly against the Jins. He was so honourable that their long time enemy trusted his word for safe passage.

Yet, the sense of unease that Huang Ming felt whenever he met General Yin never went away. Huang Ming could tell, the man was used to playing a role.

He wondered if it was a mistake to have stayed quiet when the King of Wu told him of his decision to name General Yin as the new commander of the Imperial Guard.

Huang Ming consoled himself in private. Perhaps this was General Yin’s ultimate goal. Perhaps he was weary of the chilling winds and blizzards of the north, tired of constantly being wary of the Jins. Perhaps he wished to move to the capital and take up the prestigious post and enjoy a life of comfort after a saga of family tragedies.

What was done was done. Wang Hong had fallen, Nangong Xie had disappeared.

Now only Prime Minister Tong Xuan remained.

The noose tightens,
    His fears heightened.

2. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “Ah! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!”
    --Hoban ‘Wash’ Washburne, ‘Firefly’

Chapter 152 – Disparity

“That was enough excitement to last me a lifetime,” Ma Jun the Wine Barrel commented as he surveyed the carnage in the courtyard.

“Mmm,” Huang Ming mused distractedly.

Ma Jun heard the non-committal sound and turned to look at his friend. The sight of seeing Huang Ming standing aloof, his eyes staring into the distance, his straight posture and handsome face framed by the bloody backdrop painted a lofty, heroic picture in Ma Jun’s mind.

For a moment, Ma Jun felt he that the Huang Ming before him was a total stranger. Was this really the same person who had whiled countless hours with him drinking and partying?

Ma Jun had never truly believed the words of their mutual friends who said that Huang Ming was mysterious and deep.

Until the day he received the secret letter from Huang Ming, bidding him to carry out the plan that eventually led to the demise of Commander Wang Hong.

Every step proceeded exactly as planned. Yet, the barrel-chested man shivered when he saw the pensive look on Huang Ming’s face. It was as if his friend was not truly satisfied at the outcome even though it resulted in the death of their target.

“Is something wrong?” Ma Jun ventured to ask.

Huang Ming shook his head and smiled faintly. Ma Jun glanced at the direction he was looking and saw the profiles of General Yin and Zhao Sunli in the distance. The two military officers were discussing animatedly, pointing to this or that corpse on the ground and exchanging critiques regarding the massacre that they had committed.

A mischievous smile appeared on Ma Jun’s face.

“Ah, afraid of your fiancée being stolen, eh?” he taunted.

Huang Ming pulled a face. “Don’t be ridiculous,” he scoffed.

“I’m not sure whether you’re not worried that it could happen, or that you actually wish for it to happen,” Ma Jun grinned.

Huang Ming gave him the evil eye. “What do you mean?”

“I won’t be surprised if it’s the latter. The way she killed all those men… She’s… ferocious,” Ma Jun said and shivered, recalling the ease the tanned woman had so easily dispatched Wang Hong and his men.

“Well, they had it coming,” Huang Ming said blandly, as if he was talking about something as mundane as the weather.

Ma Jun was rendered speechless by the way he had defended Sunli’s warlike tendency.

“You’re taking this engagement seriously?” he asked.

“It concerns our marital life, of course I am,” Huang Ming replied.

“But what about-” Ma Jun started to say, and then swallowed the rest of his question.

Huang Ming frowned. “What?”

“I mean, what about another candidate? That woman frightens me,” Ma Jun admitted.

All women are frightening,” Huang Ming replied and rolled his eyes.

“That is very true” a voice drawled lazily. Ma Jun looked over and saw a mysterious stranger approaching. It was a man so unbelievably beautiful that Ma Jun had to make sure that he wasn’t looking at a woman.

“This is…” he muttered uncertainly.

“I am Quan Lu, a close friend of Huang Ming,” the beautiful man answered and cupped his hands in greeting. “I have heard so much about you from him,” Quan Lu continued in his melodious voice.

“Ah, yes, hello,” Ma Jun hurriedly returned the gesture. He glanced questioningly at Huang Ming’s bemused face. ‘A close friend? I never heard of you until today,’ Ma Jun wondered.

“You shouldn’t be walking around,” Huang Ming said, giving Quan Lu a stern look.

Quan Lu arched a bewitching eyebrow. “And whose fault was it that my hips were about to give out?”

Huang Ming’s face became ashen. “You-”

‘What…’ Ma Jun was gobsmacked. He looked back and forth at Huang Ming and Quan Lu and saw that they were quite familiar.

‘So that’s why he’s changed so much!’

“I, ah, we’ll talk later, I need to collect my wine jars and write a report,” Ma Jun said hurriedly.

“Wait, this isn’t what you think!” Huang Ming said crestfallenly, but his friend had already scampered off.

‘All women are frightening indeed,’ Huang Ming thought.

Qiong Ying’s soft laughter in his ears did not improve his mood.

“Are you having fun?” he demanded, scowling at the cross-dressing Qiong Ying.

“The look on his face was priceless,” she smirked. Then it faded when she saw Zhao Sunli and General Yin together in the distance. They were still debating about the finer points of martial combat.

“You really need to keep an eye on that,” Qiong Ying murmured.

Huang Ming nodded, knowing that her advice was for Sunli or the general… or both.

They say animals possess a gift when it comes to detecting a natural disaster. Some note that certain beasts would behave strangely and flee in terror hours before an earthquake or flood, that their senses are far superior than those of men.

That was not to say that men were completely oblivious to impending catastrophe.

Take for example the current predicament of Prime Minister Tong Xuan. When word came about the death of Wang Hong in what appeared to be a drunken brawl in public, Tong Xuan’s influence shrunk rapidly. Disparaging rumours and theories about Wang Hong’s less than glorious demise soon tainted him as well, for it was his strong recommendation that elevated Wang Hong in the first place.

The King himself was nonchalant about the death of his Commander of the Imperial Guard, brushing aside Tong Xuan’s memorial for a thorough investigation.

“We are dismayed by his death, but are also displeased by the manner of his passing. An investigation would only reveal embarrassing facts and diminish the dignity of his post. Let us not speak of this any further,” the King of Wu said in court that morning.

Tong Xuan could only withdraw. In years past he would have stood to his full height and used his bombastic voice to cow the king into listening. His chosen subordinates that filled the court would bow simultaneously and repeat his words so that the King had no choice but to obey.

That was how it was, but times had changed.

Even that feeble, decrepit old man Grand Tutor Yuan seem to wallow in Tong Xuan’s reduced powers, walking around the court with a spring in his step. Suddenly that side of the royal court became more vibrant and active, while those on Tong Xuan’s side seemed so dull in their reduced numbers.

Reduced… because those subordinates that he had chosen to prop himself in court, those who used to bow and scrape with respect and fawn over him now avoided his looks and melted away into the shadows with fear. They gave a wide range of excuses, from early retirement due to illness; to attending a funeral somewhere in the distant countryside…

That was why Tong Xuan was forlorn in his study, staring at the memorial on his desk. It was his list of nominees for the new Commander of the Imperial Guard, the handful of men that Tong Xuan could still call upon. He planned to present it to the king before that meddling Grand Tutor Yuan could interfere.

It was a very short list, and Tong Xuan felt it was a stark reminder that his number of reliable allies and servants were becoming very small indeed.

‘Rats abandoning a sinking ship,’ he seethed.

There was a polite knock on the door, shaking him out of his murky thoughts.

It was his nephew, Fang La.

“Uncle, I have made my enquiries about Wang Hong. There was a disturbance at a wine merchant, that is for certain. But nobody knows the full story. Some say he went to stop it, others say that he was the one who actually caused the riot. Most agree that he somehow lost control of the situation and was killed in the panic,” Fang La reported solemnly.

Tong Xuan’s face twitched involuntarily. “He couldn’t resist drinking, even though I had warned him. I know his sort, they always give in to their desires in the end,” he sneered disparagingly.

Fang La kept quiet as his uncle complained about the recently departed Wang Hong. Was this really his uncle Tong Xuan? His eyes were sunken, the lines of worry more numerous, his complexion yellowish.

He looks so… old…’ Fang La thought dispassionately.

“Idiots! I am surrounded by idiots!” Tong Xuan muttered, his fingers trembling.

Fang La blinked as the once powerful man before him now appeared so frail and shaken.

“Uncle…” he said softly.

“What is it?” Tong Xuan asked irritably.

“Perhaps we should… we should consider retiring,” Fang La said.

At first Tong Xuan was in disbelief, then he was furious. He glared at his nephew, the shock of anger seemingly giving him a burst of strength.

“Utter nonsense!” he barked and slammed his fist down on the table. “What manner of a man are you, to give up at the first sign of trouble?”

Fang La’s face turned red at the stinging rebuke.

“Fang La, I know you have been less confident ever since… ever since you returned from Tianxin City,” Tong Xuan sighed. ‘Ever since you failed to wrest command from Huang Zheng,’ he had wanted to say.

“I am sorry, uncle,” Fang La apologized, his eyes downcast.

“I know things might seem unfavourable, but we are not completely helpless,” Tong Xuan said. He gestured at the memorial on his table. “Look, we still have allies left. The King has trusted me for many years, and even though that trust has eroded lately; he is still suspicious of the military after what had happened with Marshal Gao Fang. He has no choice but to listen to my advice.”

Fang La bowed. “I understand, uncle. And I apologize once again. I… I was just worried that we are surrounded by enemies,” he said.

“Enemies?” Tong Xuan scoffed. “We will always be surrounded by those who covet what we have gained. Remember, we did not get to our high position by being kind and soft. To get what we want, we must be clever and decisive!”

“You are right, uncle,” Fang La agreed and a look of determination appeared on his face.

“We must be decisive.”

The persons involved,
    Are full of resolve.

Anon2.0, cray0909, idgetsxx and 5 others like this.
  3. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “Look at me. I'm the captain now.”
    --Adbuwali Muse, ‘Captain Phillips’

Chapter 153 – Reckoning

The day began like any other. Prime Minister Tong Xuan ate his simple breakfast and then took a leisurely bath to cleanse himself. Then he quietly allowed his maids to assist him in putting on his official robes and headdress.

It was part of his daily routine before attending the royal court, a set of practices he had done for many years. Then he carefully placed his sealed memorial into the pocket of his sleeve, ready to be presented to the King of Wu. The memorial contained the names of his trusted men to replace the luckless Wang Hong, and Tong Xuan was eager to strike first before Grand Tutor Yuan or another party put forth their own candidates.

Though he had lost some favour with the king, Tong Xuan knew that the king mistrusted the military even more. Tong Xuan himself caused this to happen, allowing Gao Fang to rise in power and encouraging his excesses so that the king’s suspicions were aroused.

One reason Tong Xuan had collaborated with the former Marshal Gao Fang was to play the two against each other and deflect the king’s wariness away from him. He worked with Gao Fang to control the army, all the while whispering warnings to the king about the marshal’s ambitions.

Gao Fang had overreached himself and paid the price. Now the marshal was no more, and it was time again for a new puppet to fill his place to act as the lightning rod for Tong Xuan’s schemes. It was akin to propping up a painted target for the king to take aim at so as to hide his own deeds.

Thus, the Prime Minister was still quietly confident as he strode into the royal court. The assembled officials greeted him and bowed deeply as befitting his rank, though Tong Xuan noted the lack of actual respect in their eyes. No matter, they will be taught a reminder in due time…

The gong was rung to signal the king’s entrance. Tong Xuan hastily went to his proper spot at the head of the assembly and made sure his sleeves were straight and immaculate, ready to greet the king with a warm, grandfatherly face.

The smile on his face froze when he saw that the king did not arrive alone, for at his side was Huang Ming. The King of Wu had a healthy, rosy complexion as if he had just shared a laugh with the younger man. Indeed, the two men strolled into the court behaving not as ruler and subject, but akin to familiar friends entering a tavern.

“Then, I will withdraw,” Huang Ming said aloud.

“Mmm,” the king nodded in approval and Huang Ming duly retreated.

It was a simple enough event, yet the assembled officers and bureaucrats knew that they had just witnessed something earth-shaking. There was someone who had the king’s ear, and he did not come from their own ranks.

The moment Huang Ming left and the doors closed, a solemn mien came on the king’s face. The joviality was replaced with sternness as the ruler surveyed his officials. His subjects stared back at him in a daze, was the king always this imposing? As far as they can remember, the king lazed around while weighty matters were discussed and decided by the Prime Minister.

Some of the official could not help but glance at Prime Minister Tong Xuan. Was it their imagination or did the prime minister become weaker as the king became healthier?

“Begin the court session,” the king intoned imperiously and the officials hastened to bow. When had the king ever began a session? It was always the Prime Minister who would have the first word.

“Your majesty, our first order of business is the appointment of the new commander of your Imperial Guard,” Tong Xuan said in a deep, commanding voice to take centre stage.

“We do hope you have better candidates in mind this time round,” the king said dryly, a thin humourless smile on his face.

Tong Xuan gulped down the bile rising in his throat and willed himself to remain calm. The king’s increased stature coincided with Huang Ming’s own rising fame, surely it was due to that infuriating young man’s insidious influence.

First settle the succession of the Imperial Guard, then deal with Huang Ming later…

Tong Xuan coughed and affected a suitably chastened look.

“Please go over this list, Your Majesty,” he said and humbly presented his memorial. An eunuch reverently took the scroll and opened it for the king to read.

The minutes felt like hours as the king frowned over the scroll.

“Prime Minister, are you certain?” the King of Wu asked in a grave tone.

Tong Xuan nodded. “Absolutely, Your Majesty. I am confident in my judgement.”

The king slammed his palm on the table. “Audacious! Do you take us for a fool? You may be the Prime Minister, but you are not immune to the law!” the king thundered.

Tong Xuan stared at him, his mouth agape. “I, ah, I beg your pardon, Your Majesty!” he exclaimed automatically, even though he had no idea what had offended the king.

The King of Wu held up the scroll and waved it angrily. “Did you think that a confession and voluntary retirement is enough recompense for your crimes?”

Gasps of shock filled the court.

‘Confession?’ Tong Xuan’s mind exploded. “I… I do not understand,” he stammered.

“Look over your own crimes and decide if what you are proposing is too lenient or not!” the king stood up and flung the memorial back at him. The king shook his sleeves and turned away to show his displeasure.

The document landed at the prime minister’s feet, sprawled open. Tong Xuan did not bend down to pick it up for a better look as he was frozen in fear. One glance at the sheer amount of text on the scroll was enough to tell him that this was not the shortlist of names he had composed the night before.

Instead of a list of names, it was a list of his crimes, his confessions thereto and a plea to be allowed to retire into obscurity…

It was flawlessly forged, going as far as to include his personal seal’s stamp at the end.

“Switched!” Tong Xuan gasped, his eyes bulged with horror. ‘But who… how!? There was nobody-’

There was somebody.

Fang La had visited him. Tong Xuan remembered the expression on his nephew’s face. He had thought it was the look of a young man sobered by his harsh rebuke. Now Tong Xuan realized that it was a face full of resentment.

Betrayed… by his own flesh and blood.

Why?

What could Tong Xuan do? The entire royal court had witnessed him presenting the document to the king, and the king himself believed the words within.

“Hmph! We will investigate your confession thoroughly to seek redress for all those you have harmed,” the king said grimly.

How could Tong Xuan respond?

“Finished! I am finished!” he laughed bitterly.

The end has come,
    The minister succumbs.

Anon2.0, cray0909, Lagu and 5 others like this.
  4. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “Everybody has a secret they don't want you to find. Find it!”
    --Rankin Fitch, ‘Runaway Jury’ (2003)

Chapter 154 – Nail

“Finished! I am finished!” Tong Xuan laughed bitterly. Yet, he refused to give up without a fight. His laughter grew louder, its harshness echoing in the hall.

“Do you find it so amusing?” the King of Wu asked coldly.

Tong Xuan’s eyes hardened. He cupped his hands deferentially to the king, but remained at his full height and stature; giving the impression that he was an upright official surrounded by slander and forced to defend himself.

“Your Majesty, surely you can see this is an evil plot to harm your humble servant,” he expounded. Before the king could respond, Tong Xuan turned around to face the assembled officials and made a dramatic wave with his robe’s sleeve.

“In recent days we have heard strange happenings engulfing the capital like an evil fog. The recent disturbance at the capital, the death of Commander of the Imperial Guard… it is obvious that there is a nefarious conspiracy to harm our country!” he continued in his booming voice.

Tong Xuan was an accomplished speaker, knowing how to use his deep voice, sweeping gestures and a stern mien to maximum effect. With the addition of his cronies lending their voices of support in the background, he could hold an audience captive and bend them to his will, subtly guiding the course of discussion to his desired outcome.

But not this time. The ‘nefarious conspiracy’ conducted by the brothers Huang had slowly chipped away at Tong Xuan’s base of power. The chained plots removed the prime minister’s closest and most prominent of helpers, akin to cutting down the supporting pillars of a house. It was not surprising that the lesser cronies saw the danger of continuing to stay in the crumbling building.

Though Tong Xuan’s dramatic delivery failed to elicit the usual chorus of agreement, he was heartened by the fact that nobody rose to oppose him directly. Those who were giving him icy looks of contempt belonged to Grand Tutor Yuan’s camp in the first place, and Tong Xuan never counted on them. The other part of the assembled officers remained quiet, adopting a wait and see attitude.

‘There is still hope!’ Tong Xuan rejoiced. He raised his arms high and wide like a doom-proclaiming prophet.

“We have traitors here, aiding and abetting those who would harm the state!” he roared in unfeigned anger. His glare intimidated those who were still on the fence, and he could feel the odds beginning to swing back into his favour.

“So you deny this confession, that it is a forgery?” the King of Wu asked quietly, his eyes looking down on Tong Xuan with ridicule. The question was spoken softly, yet it was if someone had sliced through the thick atmosphere with a knife.

It was a chilling contrast to the prime minister’s fire and fury, and instantly commanded the attention of the assembly. Once more the pendulum swung, and Tong Xuan was cornered once more.

Yet, even a cornered rat will fight for its life. Tong Xuan still have theatrical cards to play. The prime minister’s arms fell back down as he resiliently returned the King of Wu’s stare.

“Of course! This is an obviously evil plot aimed at me. Any child could see that the confession is a laughable attempt at slander!” Tong Xuan exclaimed righteously. He then sighed loudly and allowed his shoulders to droop and his head bent, as if tired from carrying the weight of the world. This was a gamble to save his life and reputation, and Tong Xuan was pulling out all the stops.

“I am ashamed, Your Majesty,” Tong Xuan said sorrowfully, “I am ashamed that my enemies go this far and disrupted this august court by compassing the death of your Commander of the Imperial Guard and concocting this laughable play.”

One could almost admire the prime minister’s attempt to turn the black into white. However, the King of Wu was no longer the sickly, lazy monarch he once was.

“Your enemies must be very persistent,” the king said slowly with a thin smile.

Tong Xuan stroked his wintry beard in a dignified manner. “I have served Your Majesty loyally for many years. In the course of doing my duty unwaveringly I have offended many who wished for me to look away from their derelictions. But never would I have expected to be harmed like this, and I can only offer my abject apologies for this farce,” he intoned and saluted.

He turned to face the assembly once more, giving them a sweeping stare before resting his eyes accusingly on Grand Tutor Yuan. The elderly man had remained quiet the entire time, his face impassive at the Tong Xuan’s theatrics.

“Enough with this piece of falsehood,” Tong Xuan said contemptuously and stepped on the confession scroll. He twisted his foot to crumple the document in a show of defiance.

“Let those who would accuse me come out from the shadows. Who dares to make known his grievances to me, who dares to accuse me here and now?” Prime Minister Tong Xuan challenged, tilting his chin proudly.

It was his final throw of the dice. Let his enemy come forth so as to be crushed by his oratory skills… he feared no one in the court.

“I dare,” someone replied from the ranks of the officers. It was a voice filled with steely determination.

All heads turned to see who had spoken, and Tong Xuan’s face became ashen with disbelief. Gasps of shock filled the air as a dignified official slowly made his way forward.

“Minister Jun!”

“It’s Minister Jun!”

Indeed, it was the missing Minister Jun, the truly righteous and upright official who had opposed Tong Xuan and Marshal Gao vocally and fearlessly at every turn, the subject of Huang Lang’s investigations.

Unfortunately, his residence caught fire and the minister was thought to have perished in the blaze. Pitying the distraught family, Tong Xuan had generously housed them in his own home for their protection. Or so the story went...

With the disappearance of Minister Jun, there was nobody left to oppose the two strongmen from dominating the court. Even Grand Tutor Yuan only emerged from his shell after the disastrous campaign in Wei had ended with the death of Marshal Gao.

Tong Xuan could scarcely believe his eyes. He had ordered the arson at Minister Jun’s residence, yet he remained suspicious about his actual fate. Thus he had captured his surviving family to be used as a hostage lest the unthinkable happened.

And… the unthinkable happened.

Tong Xuan would find out all too late, but this was the result of Huang Lang’s search. He found Minister Jun who had survived the assassination attempt and gave him shelter. This was the reason for Huang Lang’s secrecy, to the extent of not even writing back to his wife Cao Tianyun.

While Tong Xuan was busy orchestrating his defence at court, Huang Lang had his friend Muge Jian and his compatriots from the martial underworld rescue the minister’s family. It would be a tale oft embellished in storytellers in the future, but that is a story to be told another time…

Thus emboldened by his family’s safety, Minister Jun put on his finest official robes and entered the court to deal the final blow to Tong Xuan. The prime minister staggered, reeling from the shock of seeing his nemesis alive and well.

“I dare to accuse you,” Minister Jun repeated, his voice growing in strength and anger as he recounted: “I accuse you of trying to have me murdered and of imprisoning my family. I accuse you of being a corrupt official, enriching yourself with ill-gotten wealth. I accuse you of endangering the country with your evil ways, crippling the government with incompetents and sycophants. I accuse you of being disloyal to the king and harming his dignity!”

The court was in uproar.

“Nonsense… nonsense!” Tong Xuan thundered over the hubbub. “We may have been disagreeable in the past, but we are both servants of the king! Your words are baseless, the whole world knows that I have given the roof of my very own house over your family!”

“Baseless?” Minister Jun sneered. “I have a key witness who would stand with me!”

He gestured grandly to the rear, and once more all heads turned to watch as a younger man appeared to join Minister Jun.

“I dare to accuse you,” the man said softly.

‘Finished! I am finished!’ Tong Xuan’s mind exploded, for he saw it was his own nephew who had come to put the final nail in his coffin.

Waves of discontent,
    From those who resent.
    They rise in dissent,
    Adding to his lament.

5. idgetsxx

idgetsxx The Real Life Snorlax

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy shit NUF alerts please start alerting me again!!!! Thanks for the chapters @rdawv.

rdawv likes this.
  6. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “I'm the one who filed the injunction against you.”
    --Obadiah Stane, ‘Iron Man’ (2008)

Chapter 155 – End of a prime minister

Having gained the undivided attention of the assembled officials, Minister Jun then recounted the myriad of Tong Xuan’s crimes. Each accusation was supported, each allegation affirmed by a dispassionate Lord Fang La who calmly brought out secret books, ledgers and confidential letters as evidence.

At first the charges were the common misdeeds of misappropriation, corruption… then it grew to accusations of malicious interventions, clandestine sabotage and selective persecutions... and then, stories of secret killings and arranged ‘accidents’…

Each revelation, each exposed secret astonished and enraged the officials. Those who were against Tong Xuan felt vindicated, those who were on the fence were stirred into rancor; and those who had supported him previously now lent their voices to the chorus of dissent against him.

Tong Xuan had long lost his will to fight back, his complexion was the colour of ash as he listened the clamour against him. He knew his fate was already sealed, but his attention was on his nephew Fang La. The prime minister’s eyes shook as he gazed on the cold, cold face of his nephew who completely ignored him.

Tong Xuan felt as if he was in the eye of a storm as he walked over to his nephew, oblivious to the cacophony of furor all around him. The royal court had long moved on from discussing the veracity of his crimes and were now shouting at each other, eager to announce themselves as the first to indict the very soon-to-be-former prime minister.

“Why?” he whispered hoarsely.

“You know why,” the younger man answered.

It was if a bolt of lightning had spiked Tong Xuan’s brain. His own nephew, enamoured with his concubine!

“For a woman?” Tong Xuan asked in shock.

Fang La refused to answer. His uncle would never know that Fang La had been persuaded to betray him with the advice from Qiong Ying. She had long known rumours of Fang La’s interest in the youngest concubine of Tong Xuan, and thus suggested to Huang Ming to use a honey trap as a lure.

“Why wouldn’t he just ask his uncle for her?” Huang Ming had said sceptically.

“Fang La is an intelligent man. With the multiple reverses we have inflicted on his uncle, he knows the writing is on the wall. When his uncle falls, he would bring his entire family down with him,” Qiong Ying explained.

“Ah, so you’re saying he will betray his uncle to save himself. And the concubine.”

Therefore Qiong Ying was allowed to fortuitously encounter Fang La in the capital. She carefully engineered further meetings between them, ostensibly as simple acquaintances from the time they had met in Tianxin City.

Being dissatisfied with the way he had been treated by his uncle, overshadowed by Nangong Xie and his heart crushed by his inability to hold the person of his desires; it was easy for Qiong Ying to steer the morose young man into this course of action.

Tong Xuan would not know this, and Fang La had no reason to enlighten him.

“Uncle, you brought this on yourself,” Fang La said instead. “Your transgressions have grown too large and you refuse to see that the tides have turned against us. You were going to lead our clan into ruin.”

Tong Xuan stared at his nephew in disbelief. Then he laughed.

It began as a low snicker of bitter amusement. It rose and became more powerful. Finally it became a roaring, bellowing sound.

The officials in the royal stopped their wrangling and stared at the spectacle of their former prime minister convulsing and shaking with uncontrollable laughter.

It continued for several moments before the prime minister was spent. The laughter then gave way to quiet sobbing.

“You fool…” Tong Xuan said sorrowfully. “You have been played like a puppet. You know nothing, you will not get what you want.”

Fang La looked at his uncle questioningly, but the older man did not elaborate.

“Take him away,” the King of Wu ordered, his voice cutting through the thick atmosphere.

Tong Xuan did not resist and allowed himself to be dragged off to wait his ultimate fate.

When Huang Ming heard what had happened, he merely nodded. His provocation of Nangong Xie, the death of Wang Hong by Sunli, the rescue of Minister Jun by Huang Lang and finally the subversion of Fang La by Qiong Ying finally paid off.

Huang Ming did not feel robbed by not witnessing the culmination of all the subterfuge.

It seemed almost anti-climatic, but Huang Ming knew that there were many instances of powerful figures being brought low with a even simple misspoken word. That it took so much effort to encircle and take down Tong Xuan was testament to the former prime minister’s strength.

In the end, only the result mattered.

A few days later Huang Ming was once more summoned to the king’s inner sanctum.

“We have much to thank you for,” the king said, “But we still require your advice. Now that Tong Xuan and Gao Fang are both gone, the court and the army need new leaders.”

Huang Ming knew the king was afraid of placing so much power in the hands of others.

“Minister Jun has returned, you can trust him,” Huang Ming suggested.

The King of Wu nodded, but Huang Ming saw the wariness in his eyes. Huang Ming understood immediately: Minister Jun had hidden himself so well that even the king was deceived. The king was still suspicious.

“Perhaps you do not need a single right-hand man,” Huang Ming said, not wanting to drag the upright minister into unnecessary trouble.

“What do you mean?”

Huang Ming then explained the concept of a cabinet meeting.

He said: “Elevate the leaders of each ministry and department so that they are able to advise you on the major policies, but only you alone can give the approval. There is no need for you to be bogged down by the smallest of details, give them an objective and allow them broad strokes to accomplish them.”

“How is it any different than the way it is now?” the king asked dubiously.

“Previously, you had a prime minister. All your officials had to first report to him, and only after that would he allow them to bring up their matters in court. Thus Tong Xuan had unchallenged powers, for he stood in the way between you and your ministers. In the new system, they are all answerable only to you. There is no need for them to ingratiate themselves to a gatekeeper,” Huang Ming explained.

The King of Wu nodded. “What about the military?” he then asked.

“You’re the king,” Huang Ming said bluntly. “You should show off your prestige and exercise your authority by allowing the highest of decisions to be decided only by you. This includes the matters of appointments, hiring and firing. Let no general remain in a single location for too long, lest they grow into warlords with their own power base.”

The King of Wu chuckled. “What of your father then? Maybe I should make him marshal and return to the capital,” the King of Wu mused aloud.

It was a test and Huang Ming knew it. A short-sighted person could seek favours but would forever be looked upon with suspicion by the king. Yet, a stark refusal could cause the king to think that his father was reluctant to return because he was building up his own power base.

“My father is already aged. If need be, you can recall my father to the capital in an advisory role. My mother would be much the happier to see him in the comforts of retirement,” Huang Ming replied.

“Your father does not strike me as a restful person,” the king said.

Huang Ming smiled. “Do you know the ages of Tong Xuan and Gao Fang?” he asked casually.

“Old. We only know that they are old,” the King of Wu chuckled bitterly.

“Do you know why there are so many corrupt officials and generals throughout history?”

The King of Wu was startled, not expecting Huang Ming to directly prick at the heart of his worries.

Huang Ming answered his own question: “It is because they seek wealth and security in their old age. You should formulate a generous policy of pension benefits and rewards so that they actually look forward to giving up their authority and responsibilities when they get old. Why would they risk endangering their legacy and blacken their reputation if they have something to look forward to?”

The king was enlightened. “It appears we have many things to ponder,” he murmured.

“You should separate the military. You have the Imperial Guard but they are your personal retinue in the capital. You do not have any eyes and ears of your own throughout the country, and this allowed Gao Fang and Tong Xuan to lie to you without consequence.”

“You mean, we should have recruit informants?”

Huang Ming shook his head. “No, that would only allow unscrupulous slanders. Publicly appoint special officials and give them the authority to conduct inspections and act on the the grievances of the people against the corrupt. Though one cannot eliminate all evils entirely, the common folk would be grateful for someone who could hear their complaints. These officials should not be part of the bureaucracy, but someone they can relate to.”

“Well, what sort of people do you have in mind?”

Thereupon Huang Ming brought up the case of Tian Zhu, the young former bandit that had submitted to him. The tattooed young man was then summoned and presented to the king.

The king was pleased by Tian Zhu’s heroic appearance and immediately appointed him to be one of the special officials that Huang Ming had proposed. With tears in his eyes, Tian Zhu accepted the position and became the first of many fearless inspectors who would roam the country to seek redress for the downtrodden folk. The former bandit would later become the stuff of legends, but that would be a tale for another storyteller…

‘That is one promise done,’ Huang Ming thought, referring to the time when he had first met Tian Zhu.

The King of Wu then looked at Huang Ming critically. “And you, what do you want? Have you reconsidered marrying the princess?”

“My two fiancées were instrumental in the case against Tong Xuan and it would be a disservice to them if I was to wed someone else instead,” Huang Ming said diplomatically.

The King of Wu laughed at his glib tongue. “But surely you cannot go unrewarded.”

“Well, when I think of something I will let you know,” Huang Ming said instead. There were quite a few suggestions in his mind, such as forming a research and development ministry so that he could subtly affect technological changes in the country. But see how distrustful the king was, Huang Ming held his tongue instead.

As the saying goes: “The hunting dog becomes food as well after it can no longer hunt; a good bow is dismantled when it is peacetime; an advisor dies after he helps his lord secures the kingdom”. Such was the fate of many loyal and outspoken subordinates who tragically earned their ruler’s suspicions.

The king nodded at Huang Ming’s reticence. “One last thing. What do you think we should do with Fang La?”

Huang Ming searched the king’s face and saw the hint of disgust within.

“Has he asked for a reward?” Huang Ming inquired.

The king shook his head.

“Then it is enough for you to spare him. Though he had rendered a great service, you should put him at a distance. He betrayed his own flesh and blood, he can never be someone you can truly put your trust in,” Huang Ming said.

“Good, that is what we wanted to hear,” the king said in satisfaction.

Thereafter Huang Ming was allowed to leave, but the king was not alone for long.

“What do you think?” he asked his newest Commander of the Imperial Guard.

General Yin Yanzhao saluted humbly. “He is very clever and reserved, it is difficult to believe he is still just a young man.”

“You have not seen his flippant self, we do miss it. He even refused to name his reward,” the king sighed. “ Unlike that Fang La,” he added with disdain.

“Sire?”

“We said Fang La did not ask for anything, but that was a lie. That man had the temerity of asking for his uncle’s concubine! It is unheard of!” the King of Wu seethed and shook his sleeves in disgust.

“It seems there is no redeeming that family,” General Yin observed.

The King of Wu narrowed his eyes. “He should have done the honourable thing and fall on his own sword after betraying his own uncle, we would have spared his family then. As it stands, we have seen no saving grace in their clan. Yet it is true that he helped to bring down Tong Xuan.”

“Sire, I have a suggestion. Perhaps you can make them witness Tong Xuan’s end, and have them denounce him in public. That way you can spare their lives and be assured that they will never rise again, for they will be vilified and ridiculed as selfish and self-serving,” General Yin said.

“Very good, we shall adopt your plan,” the king ordered. “Now there is only the matter of Huang Ming.”

“You could promote him,” General Yin said. “He is a very talented person and his advice would be very insightful.”

“Mmm. It does place us in an awkward position. He is meritorious, and yet we are at a loss as to where to place him. Do you have a suggestion?”

“As a matter of fact, yes sire, I do…”

Tong Xuan’s faults were many but in the end he was only officially charged with the crime of treason, and the punishment thereto was death.

On the day of his sentencing, he was brought out to be hung publicly. The common folk turned out in droves to see the fallen prime minister, showering him with rotten produce and hurled insults. Those who were harmed by his greed clenched their teeth and their fists shook as their wish for vengeance was being fulfilled before their eyes.

Adding to the misery of Tong Xuan were his own clan members, given front row seats to witness his demise. Surrounded by a rabid crowd, his own family had no choice but to join in their condemnations of the former prime minister as he was led up the platform. Among them were Fang La, giddy with the prospects finally achieving his heart’s desire after the death of his uncle…

When the noose was draped around Tong Xuan’s neck, the crowd hushed to await the moment of sentencing.

Suddenly a woman’s wail broke the suspense.

“My lord! My lord!”

A young female broke free from the crowd and rushed up the platform to give the prime minister an embrace. The executioners and guards saw that she was only a young girl and thus did not stop her.

“Silly girl, you should have stayed quiet,” Tong Xuan said tenderly.

“I am a mere concubine, but I know what loyalty is! My lord, let me join you in death!” the young woman declared with tears running down her cheeks. She turned to give the prime minister’s family a desolate, reproachful glare that shamed them to their very core.

Then she jumped from the platform headfirst.

The crowd was shocked by her suicide, one could almost feel sympathy for Tong Xuan. Tong Xuan saw this and sneered at how easily the common folk had swayed.

“What are you waiting for?” he snarled at his executioners.

They pulled the lever and soon Prime Minister Tong Xuan was no more.

And so the Prime Minister of Wu became yet another precautionary tale of someone who overreached his station as so often found in history, another infamous character in history who was disloyal to his king and selfishly placed his country in peril. Of note was the devotion of the prime minister’s young concubine, a story that soon became the basis of tragic dramas and folk stories.

What of Fang La, the nephew who had betrayed his uncle?

History had no further mentions of him, though some stories would say that a few of the prime minister’s family went home later that day and hung themselves out of shame.

A disloyal minister,
    His greed was boundless.
    He was most sinister,
    His sins heavy and countless.

The king was weak and lacking,
    But when a young hero rose,
    He seized him to be his backing,
    And so the minister was opposed.

Three helpers the minister had,
    Men whose characters were bad.
    The scholar was driven into exile,
    The warrior killed, the nobleman beguiled.

A chain of plots was conceived,
    By cunning his helpers deprived,
    The king’s honour was retrieved,
    And thus the kingdom was revived.

END PART III: THE ENCIRCLEMENT OF TONG XUAN

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Anon2.0, cray0909, Lagu and 6 others like this.
  7. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Swan dive!

8. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    As usual after an arc, taking a week's break to recharge and plan.

Kekeli111 and fuzor100 like this.
  9. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all the work!

rdawv likes this.
  10. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    There were a few spelling mistakes in chapter 155. (primer minister. furore)
    You also have an incomplete sentence. (At first the charges were the common misdeeds of misappropriation, corruption,)
    Enjoy your break.

rdawv likes this.
  11. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you~

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  12. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy Mid-Autumn Festival~

“I am young, I am twenty years old; yet I know nothing of life but despair, death, fear, and fatuous superficiality cast over an abyss of sorrow.”
    --Erich Maria Remarque, ‘All Quiet on the Western Front’

Chapter 156 – To the new frontier

In the vast snow-laden landscape, the small line of carriages and horsemen seemed so insignificant. The light snowfall added a picturesque mood to the scene, but to the men and women of the convoy it was yet another element of drudgery to the journey.

There was no banter, no light-hearted exchange as the caravan made its way north, towards the source of the incoming chill.

Huang Ming stared out of his carriage, an expressionless look on his face. Despite the rickety motion due to the uneven road, the young man felt no discomfort.

The same could not be said for his fellow passenger though, buried under a bundle of warm clothings and blankets. Qiong Ying was asleep in the carriage, yet the frown on her face showed that her slumber was far from restful. She had begun the journey in her male persona of Quan Lu, but as it progressed she shed her disguise and remained in the carriage at all times.

One could easily think that the young woman was simply unused to rough travel, but Huang Ming knew better.

After all, they were travelling to the northern border and perilously close to the kingdom fo Jin, her country of origin. The country which she was forced to flee due to the machinations of her sister, the current Princess of Jin.

After the demise of Tong Xuan, the days passed easily. Huang Ming felt relaxed, knowing that the immediate dangers to his family had finally been eradicated. While waiting for the king’s summons, Huang Ming filled the days leisurely.

The King of Wu had adopted his suggestion and reformed the court to resemble a cabinet style of government. No longer was there a single man in control of the entire bureaucracy. Now the king was surrounded by officials in charge of various departments of equal ranks and importance, and he was always in touch with the concerns of his subjects.

Released from the need to fawn over a corrupt gatekeeper, the promoted officials eagerly put forth their suggestions to the king and prove themselves. The entire kingdom seemed rejuvenated by their energetic renewal.

When the King of Wu summoned him privately to the palace once more, Huang Ming expected to be conferred an ordinary reward and be allowed to return to Tianxin City, where he would continue his plan to train and upgrade the legions under his father’s command.

The king soon dispelled his hopes.

“We could use a good son-in-law,” the king had hinted once more. Once more Huang Ming shook his head, but this time the king was less affable to his refusal. The king can be forgiven for being annoyed, where else in history did someone dare to decline the hand of a princess not once, not twice, but thrice?

Princess Wu Liying herself was not present when the offer was made, but Huang Ming heard later that she was merely mildly miffed. She was more annoyed at her royal father, for she found herself more busy than ever and his meddling was but an unwelcome distraction. Without the spectre of Tong Xuan oppressing the court and encouraged by the king, the princess took an active role in the sweeping reforms the kingdom was going through.

Being a huge admirer of the Princess of Jin who was the leading figure of the day for feminine power, Princess Wu Liying set out to emulate her and took charge of the education ministry, advancing the upward mobility of women in her own kingdom.

But Huang Ming would not be present to see her efforts, for the king gave him a decree.

“We hereby promote you as a Royal Inspector. Congratulations,” the king said unceremoniously.

“Uh. Isn’t that what I proposed for Tian Zhu?” Huang Ming asked in an equally unimpressed tone.

“That does not mean we can have only the one Royal Inspector. He will the roaming the country to right the wrongs as you suggested, but we do require someone to do our bidding directly. Besides, we are thoroughly convinced that you would not abuse your new-found authority.”

“Of course sire,” Huang Ming deadpanned.

“Your first task will for you to go to Beihai.”

“What?” Huang Ming exclaimed.

“We have appointed General Yin as our new Commander of the Imperial Guard, and naturally we require a new bulwark to defend our northern borders,” the king intoned gravely.

“I thought General Yin is going back there,” Huang Ming said.

“He will be escorting the Jin ambassador back. Once that is done, he will make personal arrangements in Beihai and return to take up his new post here in the capital. You will take his place,” the king informed him.

“But-”

“No buts,” the king interrupted sternly.

Huang Ming was flabbergasted, wondering if he had pushed the king too far with his disrespect. The look on his face must have been amusing, for the King of Wu smirked.

“Do not worry, this is not a permanent fixture,” the King of Wu said.

“Ah. Er… yes, sire,” Huang Ming mumbled.

“You might think of us ungrateful for sending you to the distant north, but you have a talent for solving things. And we require that talent once more,” the king said.

“Sire?”

“General Yin’s absence leaves a void in the north. Though his successor is said to be reliable, we would feel much better if you are there to check on the succession. You will only be there until you are confident that the new person in charge is able to handle the responsibility,” the king explained.

“Oh.”

“This is no light matter,” the king warned him. “Our relationship with the kingdom of Jin is not very cordial, to say the least.”

The monarch paused to give him an arched eyebrow. “You of all people should know why.”

Huang Ming grimaced. “But sending me up there could antagonize them…” he pointed out slowly.

“And you will see it coming,” the King of Wu finished the thought.

“Ah. Brilliant, sire,” Huang Ming said in a flat tone.

The king ignored him. “Go to Beihai. Observe, and report. Watch for any possible movements from the Jins, and foil them.”

“Oh, is that all?” Huang Ming muttered.

And that was the reason for Huang Ming’s journey to the north. There was only time for him to write a letter to his parents to explain his sudden ‘promotion’.

Qiong Ying was understandably less than thrilled to hear about it.

“You should stay here in the capital. Or in Tianxin City, whichever you prefer,” Huang Ming suggested.

“I am coming with you,” Qiong Ying interrupted.

“But-”

“No buts. Do I look like someone who would wait at home while you disappear for who knows when?” she scoffed.

“What? No, I mean, it’s the north. You will be uncomfortably close to Jin…”

“You are adorable,” Qiong Ying rolled her emerald eyes. “But I cannot spend my life in fear. If I am to stand up to my sister, this will be as good a time as any to start.”

Huang Ming made some other feeble arguments, but eventually gave in to her wishes. To be honest, he was happy to have a friendly face with him to the northern lands, because Zhao Sunli did not follow him.

The War Goddess stayed on in the capital city.

Huang Ming knew the reasons, but he could not help but feel a little strange without the constant hovering presence of the tall woman around him.

His train of thought broke when he saw one of the escort horsemen coming over to his carriage.

“Sir, we are approaching Beihai.”

Huang Ming nodded.

‘Here we go…’

A new setting in the north,
    The young man sets forth.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Anon2.0, cray0909, Lagu and 5 others like this.
  13. HELLiCOPter

HELLiCOPter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well new territory ... Lets wait and see ...

14. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Original message: “Send reinforcements. We are going to advance.”
    Repeated message: “Send three or four cents. We are going to a dance.”
    --A story about garbled military communications

Chapter 157 – Welcome to Beihai

Li Jing of Beihai had a habit: chewing the leaves of a plant known as srih. It was an expensive, annoying tendency. Not just because the plant had to be imported from its native southern region of Chu, but also his nasty habit of leaving the remains wherever he pleases. He would chew loudly to extract the bitter taste, turning the evergreen leaf into a mushy red paste before spitting it to the side. The sticky remains were difficult to remove and often leave a reddish stain wherever it landed.

Li Jing never took the reprimands and admonishments of his superiors regarding his nasty habit to heart. It was almost like an addiction and the result could be seen whenever he revealed his teeth, for they had turned into an ugly shade of red.

It was rumoured that one reason General Yin Yanzhao had shockingly accepted the transfer back to the capital instead of maintaining his family’s traditional post at Beihai was to finally avoid Li Jing’s srih habit once and for all.

Now that Yin Yanzhao had gone away and Li Jing was in nominal command of Beihai, there was nobody left to restrain his habit. If one was to look for Li Jing, one only needed to follow a fresh trail of gunky, red paste all over the city. It was a source of despair and mockery for its inhabitants.

Fortunately the general was currently outside of the city, awaiting the arrival of the newly appointed Royal Inspector. He was still chewing the leafy paste in his mouth as the caravan halted before his welcoming committee.

A caravan. That was all.

Li Jing was disappointed by the sight, to say the least. And annoyed.

It would be fine if it was someone high up from the army, but from all accounts this new Royal Inspector was a civilian without any actual military rank! Yes, he had heard that the young man had contributed greatly in the campaign in Wei, but that was a disastrous venture in the first place. Surely they had exaggerated the stories to make themselves feel better-

He stopped chewing and nearly swallowed the gooey ball in his mouth when the Royal Inspector stepped out of the carriage.

Despite the light snow, Royal Inspector Huang Ming was dressed lightly, without even a fur-lined cloak. He straightened the creases on his scholarly robes, stretching out his arms as he did so. The young man took a glance of the surroundings before approaching the general with a salutation.

“This humble scholar greets General Li Jing,” the young man greeted with cupped hands.

Li Jing’s aggravation grew when he saw just how young and handsome the Royal Inspector was. Keeping his eyes on Huang Ming, he hawked loudly and launched the mushy paste from his mouth. It landed to the side with a wet splat, the saliva turning the surrounding snow into a sickly red.

“Welcome to Beihai,” Li Jing said with a wide smile, deliberately showing his stained teeth. Li Jing knew the adverse effect it had on people. He took some perverse pleasure in churning the stomachs of those pretentious, hoity-toity types with his vulgar gesture.

Yet Huang Ming did not react, he continued to keep his hands cupped in greetings.

General Li Jing grunted. The young man did not so much as bat an eye at his display. Maybe there was something to those stories after all…

“Well, I’ll show you Beihai,” he said.

Huang Ming climbed the stairs to the city walls, following General Li Jing’s lead. There was no small talk as the general was continuously chewing and spitting srih leaves.

The habit was disgusting, but Huang Ming was used to seeing it in his original life. On Earth, there was a similar custom of chewing and spitting betel leaves. Even the resulting stained teeth was the same. Thus he was not too disturbed, only taking care to avoid stepping on the remains.

Atop the wall, Huang Ming could see the entire layout of the city. Like Tianxin City, it was squarish in shape.

“This is Beihai,” General Li Jing said with a subdued flourish.

Huang Ming nodded, though he frowned when he saw that there were less soldiers than expected manning the city walls and turrets. There were huge gaps in between the sentries standing at attention.

“It’s not the capital and we don’t look like much, but Beihai is the frontline against the Jins,” Li Jing continued, his eyes narrowing.

“I do not mean to be rude,” Huang Ming hastened to say. “But I do admit that I do not understand why you have so few people on the walls. Are your men away patrolling the region?”

“Patrolling? Well, some are. But we are too short-handed as it is. What you see is what you’ve got.”

Huang Ming was startled. “How many men do we have?”

General Li Jing smiled sardonically. “Less than fifteen thousand who are combat effective. More than half of them are veterans, but they too are already approaching the end of their tours.”

“What? But how could that be? Beihai has special dispensation for a standing army, and General Yin maintained a force of thirty thousand men for years. What happened?”

Li Jing grimaced at the mention of his predecessor. “It is difficult to recruit men here. After all, there is real danger of actual combat with the Jins,” he said. “To attract new blood, General Yin revised shorter contract terms. The new recruits would join up and serve for a year or two before being discharged.”

“So that they can go back and brag to their girlfriends and parents that they were war heroes?” Huang Ming asked sarcastically.

Li Jing nodded. “Most of them joined up because of General Yin’s fame. Now that he is gone…”

Huang Ming shook his head. On one hand, General Yin’s action was understandable. Yet on the other hand, it meant that Beihai had a constant movement of part-time soldiers moving in and out of the army. A year or two of service meant nothing at all, there was not enough time to develop a lasting, effective fighting force.

Little wonder then that Yin Yanzhao so easily accepted the post of Commander of the Imperial Guard, and went to the capital instead.

‘So much for the bulwark of the north,’ Huang Ming thought and gave Li Jing a sympathetic look. It seemed that he had underestimated him, the srih-chewing man had inherited a huge problem from General Yin. Perhaps that was the reason for his habit; as a way to relieve his nervous energy.

“I have already written to the capital for troop transfers, and General Yin himself had assured me of reinforcements,” Li Jing said, pointedly looking at Huang Ming as he chewed his srih slowly.

Huang Ming sighed. That explained Li Jing’s surly mood. He had thought Huang Ming was coming with more soldiers.

“Well, at least we have a core of veterans still. How long do we have them for?” Huang Ming asked instead.

“A few months. But don’t expect too much from them.”

Huang Ming tilted his head in askance, silently urging the general to explain.

“Those veterans were recruited under the old terms, meaning that they had signed up for a long service. When General Yin made the new contracts for recruitment, the old contracts were not revised. Therefore what you’ve got now is a bunch of old soldiers grumpy about the unfairness of it all,” Li Jing told him.

Huang Ming noticed the way Li Jing had repeatedly used the word ‘you’, as if he was deferring the problem to him.

“Well, what’s to prevent you from offering them new contracts?” Huang Ming asked, throwing back the emphasis to the general.

Li Jing shrugged. “I’ve tried. More food, better pay. But they won’t agree. They have already served General Yin for many years, and they just want to retire with their lives and limbs intact.”

Li Jing hawked loudly and spat out the srih.

“I’d say you have a big problem on your hands,” he said.

Problems, not just a few,
    The more he heard, the more it grew.

Anon2.0, cray0909, idgetsxx and 5 others like this.
  15. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    delayed due to windows update -_-

fuzor100 likes this.
  16. idgetsxx

idgetsxx The Real Life Snorlax

Reading List:
    Link
    I still don't trust General Yin. Seems like an asshole to me, traitor to the Jins maybe?

17. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “It's a joke in the zoo business, a weary joke, that the paperwork involved in trading a shrew weighs more than an elephant, that the paperwork involved in trading an elephant weighs more than a whale, and that you must never try to trade a whale, never.”
    --Yann Martel, ‘Life of Pi’

Chapter 158 – Paperwork

Huang Ming yawned and stretched mightily and resisted the temptation of rubbing his ink-smeared palm over his eyes. It was smeared from perusing the myriad of scrolls and papers on his desk.

After the short but horrifying briefing by General Li Jing, Huang Ming went straight to his assigned office to start pouring over the documents. Everything therein seem to confirm Li Jing’s words. Beihai looked outwardly imposing, but in reality its defences were in precarious straits.

Adding to Huang Ming’s irritation was that every piece of document was done properly: General Yin Yanzhao had kept meticulous and accurate records of what he had done. On the face of it, every decision and order he had made was based in logic and carefully weighted considerations. The former commander of Beihai could very well say he had done everything to the best of his abilities, that he had not been derelict in fulfilling his duties to solve the problems of Beihai.

Unfortunately they were solved in a way that everything was dependent on Yin Yanzhao’s presence. Huang Ming felt like he was entering an organization which had been dominated by a single, powerful personality who had just departed it.

The absence of Yin Yanzhao the North Star had left a huge void in Beihai, and his shoes were too big for his successor Li Jing. It was Huang Ming’s job to help him fill it.

“‘Observe and report’, my ass,” Huang Ming muttered, recalling the King of Wu’s breezy words.

A soft feminine chuckle drifted to his ears.

“I think it looks fine indeed,” Qiong Ying drawled playfully.

If there was a stranger present in the office, he or she might be fooled into thinking that the newly appointed Royal Inspector Huang Ming had a male lover, for Qiong Ying was in her Quan Lu persona. Not that there was anything wrong with that, for ‘Quan Lu’ was an absolutely beautiful man…

“I appreciate your approval, but there are other things to worry about,” Huang Ming said.

“Pity,” Qiong Ying replied with a faint smile. Then her forehead creased. “The entire city seems listless. People are still working and living here, but there is a sense of inevitable decay,” she said.

“Like a local hero had just gone away, or died?” Huang Ming asked sarcastically.

“I told you to keep an eye on him,” Qiong Ying reminded him.

Huang Ming sighed and his eyes drifted back to the documents. Qiong Ying went around the desk to lean over his shoulder, her emerald eyes scanning the scrolls that had grabbed the attention of her man.

“There is something wrong here,” she declared a few moments later.

“Thank you, Captain Obvious,” Huang Ming commented dryly.

“I ran a business, I know what to look out for,” Qiong Ying said, ignoring the unfamiliar term he had used. “But this is… too clean. See, here and here,” she pointed at different parts of the scroll.

Huang Ming looked… and saw nothing too improper.

“They seem in order.”

“It’s all too perfect,” Qiong Ying insisted. “This amount coming in, and the same exact amount going out. It is as if someone is going out of his way to ensure a constant level of resources in the city.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Huang Ming asked, playing the devil’s advocate.

Qiong Ying shook her head. “Yes, but in this case it is unnatural. This is a frontline city, its growth should be actively encouraged to be self-sufficient. As it is now, it seemed stagnating to the point of declining.”

Huang Ming nodded, concurring with her assessment.

“I have gotten the gist of your problems. What are you going to do?” she asked.

“I am going to ask for some help,” Huang Ming answered and gave the documents on his desk a baleful look. He started to clear the desk and took a sheaf of unused paper and reached for the writing materials, causing Qiong Ying to frown.

“That is enough paperwork for one day,” she admonished gently.

“It’s not so bad. It’s just a lot of paper. And a lot of work,” Huang Ming muttered. He started to pick up the block of inkstone, but a hand from Qiong Ying stopped him.

“Enough. I can think of a few other things for you to work on…” Qiong Ying murmured as she loosened her hair.

Zhongdu City,

Capital of Jin

Jin Hua the Princess of Jin removed her golden headdress and sighed with relief. The head gear was very bejewelled, encrusted with a variety of precious gems and exquisite pieces of carved jade. It was very ornate, very beautiful… and very heavy.

Her handmaidens fell over themselves to surround her and held their breath, for they knew what was to come next. As expected, the princess carelessly tossed aside the priceless headdress, causing their hearts to leap to their mouths. Fortunately it landed into the hands of a perspiring servant, and they let out a collective sigh as the recipient gingerly placed it into its rightful container.

Jin Hua ignored the little drama that she had caused, she had already seated herself to immerse herself in the pile of documents on her desk. Her pretty head bowed over the documents and she completely ignored the handmaidens who busied themselves to loosen her raven hair and straighten it with a phoenix-themed comb made of ivory.

A senior maiden coughed gently and Jin Hua obediently raised her arms so that the servants by her side could remove the heavy outer robes. Next they removed the inner layer so that her pale, flawless jade-like skin of her arms and neck could be seen. They were only observable for a brief moment as the servants quickly replaced it with a thinner robe for comfort.

All the while, the Princess of Jin remained seated, her eyes still focused on reading the scroll on her desk. It was as if she was unaware or did not care about the smooth transition of her change of clothing.

It was decidedly unprincessly behaviour, yet the handmaidens could not help but sigh with admiration as Jin Hua tirelessly read page after page, scroll after scroll. They had trained in the arts and had expected to accompany their royal charge in domestic endeavours such as painting or gardening, but the princess was no mere weak, decorative flower that everyone first thought.

Over time, the entire court realized that the Princess of Jin was a formidable woman of fearsome intellect and indomitable will. There were voices of dissent when the heir of the Jin Empire decided to marry her, the sole survivor of a disgraced clan; but they were soon swept away by her displays of intelligence. Indeed, she proved herself time and time again to be worthy of the Prince of Jin, the leading man of the day by ably assisting her noble husband to advance their realm.

There was a gentle knock on the door, and the handmaidens frowned. This was the private study of their princess, only servants and subordinates would knock. The Prince of Jin would hardly need to, he would easily walk in without impediment. Considering the approaching hour for dinner with the prince, it meant it was someone who was potentially bringing even more paperwork to burden their beloved princess.

Still, they knew the princess did not look kindly on those who presume to make decisions for her, even if they thought they were doing it for her own good. A handmaiden who had loudly blocked a servant from bringing a report during a meal was herself angrily rebuked and dismissed by the princess.

Thus, one of them quickly went over to the door to check before nodding back to her senior. The leader of the handmaidens coughed gently, causing Jin Hua to frown and look up in askance.

“Your highness, there is a report coming,” the senior handmaiden said.

Jin Hua nodded, and the door was opened. As per custom, the incoming male servant kept his eyes on the ground at all times to avoid laying his uncouth eyes on the princess.

“Your highness, a letter from Wu,” the servant said and presented the envelope, crumpled by the rigours of travel.

“Bring it here and reward him,” Jin Hua said, her eyes widening with eagerness. She paid little attention to the servant’s obeisance and profuse thanks, dismissing him with a simple wave.

Her handmaidens saw the way her eyes glinted as she read the letter, and already they knew that dinner was going to be delayed...

Two separated sisters,
    For each other,
    Affection no longer glitters,
    A relation torn asunder.

Anon2.0, cray0909, Lagu and 4 others like this.
  18. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “Deliberate tactical errors and minor losses are the means by which to bait the enemy.”
    --Sun Bin

Chapter 159 – Betting strategy

Over the next few days, Huang Ming took his time to go about his duties. In the day he moved about the city’s defences anonymously; taking note of the walls, the barracks, training grounds and armoury. The state of the facilities were adequate, though he found that the actual soldiers using them were dismally lacking and shambolic.

Sightings of this young man showing up and quietly observing them soon spread among the soldiers. His arrival at Beihai had not been reported with great fanfare, and soon rumours were rife among the men that someone was spying on them without even bothering to hide himself.

There was little need for Huang Ming to conceal himself. Those on duty were unsure of someone who could walk in and out with impunity, while those who were resting had other things to distract them.

Amazingly, or depressingly; it took an entire week before someone actually took the initiative to question Huang Ming. Rather, Huang Ming had allowed himself to be caught.

He was observing on what was supposed to be a horse-riding training session for the mounted troops. Instead, he discovered a crowd of soldiers gambling on horse racing. Such was the scale of indiscipline that the training grounds saw more use as a race track than actual military usage.

As there was money involved, there were actual guards on duty. Huang Ming’s presence was soon detected, and a few burly looking soldiers soon surrounded him.

“Who are you, what are you doing here?” one of them demanded.

“I heard there was gambling here, I thought to try my luck,” Huang Ming said and rubbed the back of his head sheepishly.

“Get lost!”

“How dare you trespass here! This is a military compound, civilians are not allowed to enter!” another soldier said loudly.

Huang Ming thought it was hilarious that the soldiers could say those words with straight faces while the festivities of the horse racing was ongoing in the training field behind them.

“Come on, big brothers,” Huang Ming said ingratiatingly. “I’ve been thrown out of all the other venues, I just need one big win to change my luck!”

“A bankrupt scholar!” they sneered.

“But… but I have money… it’s my last roll of the dice…” Huang Ming whined.

The eyes of the soldiers lit up. They took stock of this young man who seemed to lack the strength to even truss up a chicken, and Huang Ming could literally see their faces itching to say “Ah, fresh meat!”

“Well, this isn’t allowed, but I’m sure we can come to some agreement…” one of them hinted.

“Of course, of course!” Huang Ming said while acting suitably relieved. He presented a few taels of silver and the soldier demonstrated remarkable agility to swipe them into his clothing.

“Good fellow! Come this way,” he said, not even bothering to hide his shark-like grin.

They surrounded him to prevent him from changing his mind. Huang Ming was found himself shepherded to the venue. He did not know whether to laugh or cry when he saw the bustle of activity. There was even a crude concession stand where they were grilling skewers of meat.

He had not seen the soldiers being so lively in his days of observing them. They were listless and lackadaisical while on duty and were not much better than zombies, yet here they were cheering and cursing like bandits.

Huang Ming was soon presented to a mean-looking, battle-scared older soldier who was cursing in disgust at the latest unfavourable result from the races.

“Who’s this?” the veteran growled and eyed him suspiciously.

“Boss, we found an investor,” the soldiers grinned.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, he would like to chip in on our bets,” another said enthusiastically.

Their veteran leader’s sour expression faded slightly.

“Maybe he can change our string of bad luck,” he grunted.

“What? But I’m here to gamble on my own-” Huang Ming began to protest.

The countenance of the soldiers changed. They glared at Huang Ming and began to crowd over him intimidatingly.

“We’re givin’ you the opportunity to roll with the boss of the White Wolves, you gonna say no?”

“How much are we talking here? Are there any limits?” Huang Ming raised his voice, acting like a man who was desperately brave.

The scarred veteran raised an eyebrow. “No limits,” he replied, “But this is more for bragging rights more than anything.”

“Well, what’s the bet?” Huang Ming asked.

“You’re lucky,” the veteran said. “You’re just in time for the main event against the Black Bears. There will be three final races, winner takes all.”

Huang Ming’s eyes narrowed. “Do you know the horses and their riders well?”

“Of course. We have been doing this for a long time,” the veteran guffawed.

Huang Ming suppressed a grimace at the comment. “So it’s best two out of three?” he asked instead.

“Are you deaf? That is exactly what I said.”

“You said winner takes all. You mean as long as you win two races, you’ll come out ahead?” Huang Ming persisted.

“Isn’t that obvious? Why are you asking so many questions?” the veteran fired back in annoyance.

Huang Ming looked at him incredulously. “But you’re still free to decide who competes in what race?”

It was the veteran’s turn to give him a baffled look. “Well, yes. But why? Their abilities are known to everyone, there are no hidden trump cards.”

“Well that simplify matters. Here, take my money and bet all of it. Have your worst horse race against their best.”

“What?”

“For the next race, have your best horse race against their second best,” Huang Ming continued.

“Now you listen here-”

Huang Ming ignored his outburst. “And finally, use your second best against their worst horse. That way you’ll win two out of three.”

The mouth of the veteran leader hung open in mid-protest as he listened to Huang Ming’s advice. His eyes blinked as he processed the information.

“That… that might work,” he admitted slowly.

Huang Ming folded his hands. “Of course, this is assuming you’re accurate about your horses. And that the other side don’t know what you’re doing.”

The scarred veteran nodded in agreement and hastily arranged the horses as Huang Ming told him.

The changes just before the first race caused the opposing side to laugh. The worst horse was up against their best, a foregone conclusion! Even the rookie rider looked terrified at being put in the first race.

“Oi! What are your White Wolves doing to the poor kid?” someone shouted.

“I’m tryin’ to give him some experience!” the scarred veteran shouted back.

It elicited raucous, mocking laughter from the Black Bears; but they did not raise a protest. It was obvious that a fierce rivalry existed between the two units.

The first race proceeded as expected, with a miserable loss for the White Wolves. Even though Huang Ming had told them about the strategy, the White Wolves still shouted themselves hoarse to cheer on their hapless rider. The young rider put up a brave effort but his horse was just too weak when compared against the opposing party’s best.

Then the second race began, with the White Wolves’ higher grade horse and rider taking to the field. The Black Bears thought nothing of it, in their optimistic opinion it was an opportunity for their own horse to cause an upset. The differences between the two were after all quite minor.

But in the end the minor differences were enough to clinch victory for the White Wolves. With the score now tied at 1-1, it was down to the final race.

The faces of the Black Bears became aghast when they realize it was time for their worst grade horse to be up against the White Wolves’ second best. The outcome was just as hard fought as in the second race, but once more the minor differences between the two grades were enough to win the race for the White Wolves.

With two victories, the White Wolves took the entire prize stake.

“Cheating! That’s cheating!” the Black Bears exploded indignantly.

“Shut yer trap you Black Bear scum!” the White Wolves roared back.

The Black Bears wouldn’t have any of it. “You set us up!”

“There ain’t no rules against it! If you’re smart, you could have done it too!” the White Wolves jeered back at them.

Seeing that the atmosphere was boiling over, Huang Ming decided to slip away. Unfortunately, he was the only civilian in the entire field and his scholarly robes stuck out like a sore thumb among the soldiers.

“Is that the guy? He must be the one giving you the tips! Stop him!” the Black Bears roared.

‘Oh boy..’ Huang Ming thought as the mass of soldiers descended towards him.

He won the race,
    But couldn’t leave with grace.

Anon2.0, cray0909, Lagu and 3 others like this.
  19. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “See, what we have here is a failure to communicate.”
    --Major Benson Winifred Payne, ‘Major Payne’

Chapter 160 – Almost a bloody nose

Pandemonium. Absolute pandemonium.

The Black Bears were stung, and the White Wolves were more than happy to jeer at at them.

Huang Ming did not know who threw the first punch. The moment the aggrieved Black Bears yelled and rushed towards him, it sparked an immediate retaliation from the White Wolves.

The training field which had been converted into a race track devolved into an all out melee. The riders wisely and hastily rode their horses away, but those who remained were more than eager to fight. A hundred or so men from the two units brawled using their fists and kicks. Spurts of blood, broken teeth and shouts of pain began to fill the air as mayhem ensued.

In such a hotbed of furious action, Huang Ming kept his calm. The White Wolves were more interested in fighting their Black Bear rivals than actually protecting him, and thus he had to fend for himself. He was not being deliberately picked out yet, and so he ducked and weaved and bobbed his way to avoid being caught in the crossfire.

Eventually Huang Ming found himself being hemmed in by a whirlwind of paired off fights. Fortunately all the combatants were busy fighting each and other and their martial dance formed a rough circle around him, as if he was in the eye of a tornado.

Despite the circumstances, Huang Ming took a few seconds to catch his breath. Everything seemed to move in slow motion around him, the men of the White Wolves and the Black Bears were too preoccupied with bashing each other to notice his serenity.

Huang Ming couldn’t help but carve a small smile at his precarious position. It was like watching a deadly ballet all around him. After all, how often do you find yourself in the middle of such a maelstrom, watching everything blitzing by harmlessly? Especially when you were the one who had caused it.

He was still feeling slightly smug at himself when a stray fist landed on his shoulder. The person delivering it was aiming for someone else who had avoided it. The combatants completely ignored Huang Ming and continued their duel, moving around him as if he was an obstacle.

“Damn it!” Huang Ming cussed as he staggered from from the blow. He crashed on another pair of fighters.

They did not take kindly to his interruption.

“Wait!” Huang Ming yelped, but they unceremoniously kicked him away to resume their personal combat, treating him like he was a mere bag of garbage.

Of course, their actions caused more grief for Huang Ming. He landed directly in the middle of yet another fight. He used one hand to block the punch of a White Wolf soldier, and raised his knee to block the kick from the Black Bear counterpart.

The two soldiers looked at Huang Ming in surprise.

“Sorry!” Huang Ming said… and ducked as both of them turned their attentions on him instead. As if affronted by having their attacked stopped by a young man in scholarly robes, the two soldiers growled and attacked Huang Ming, high and low.

Huang Ming had strengthened his physique since arriving in this world, but these men were trained soldiers. He put up a decent defence for several exchanges, but the soldiers simply had more weight behind their moves. Their flurry of attacks were heavier and unbalanced Huang Ming.

Eventually an incoming punch broke past his guard and he was forced to use both hands to stop the blow from reaching his chest. However, that meant his arms were now lowered, and the second attacker seized the chance to swing at his face. Huang Ming jerked back but the man’s knuckles violently grazed his nose, causing his eyes to water. It was as if someone had slapped a piece of sandpaper across his nose.

“Sunuva-!” Huang Ming swore loudly.

“WHAT’S GOING ON HERE!” a voice bellowed in fury. It thundered through the field, stopping the brawl in its tracks. The soldiers of the White Wolves and Black Bears literally froze in mid-pose, their fists and kicks hanging in the air as they turned to see who had shouted.

It was General Li Jing, his face nearly purple with rage. With his reddened teeth, it was a sight to behold. The terrifying visage was enough to cause the soldiers to tremble.

Li Jing was perfectly furious. He had long known of the gambling racket, but he had turned a blind eye to it as he had considered a necessary evil that was part of a soldier’s life in the barracks. Besides, the problem seemed to melt away whenever he went to investigate.

But not this time. This time, the sheer scale of the melee could not be hidden. After all, there were a hundred or so men in various states of injury all over the training field.

The way those men stared back at him with ashen faces and dull eyes made Li Jing even angrier.

“ASSEMBLE!” he roared, the ball of red srih paste in his mouth threatening to spill out.

The White Wolves and Black Bears hastily leapt to their feet, dragging their fallen and groaning brethren up with them as they quickly fell into formation.

Of course, this meant Huang Ming who was not one of them was left conspicuously alone by his lonesome once the men had grouped up.

It was Li Jing’s turn to become slack-jawed, and this time the srih paste in his mouth really fell out.

“Royal Inspector, what are you doing here?” Li Jing asked in disbelief.

“Oh, you know, just doing my job,” Huang Ming said with a scrunched up face as he rubbed his tweaked nose. Fortunately it was not broken, but Huang Ming could still feel the heat from where it was grazed. He walked over to join the general at the head of the assembly.

Almost as one, the soldiers of the White Wolves and Black Bears turned their eyeballs to see who had so casually responded to their general. Their eyes nearly popped out when they saw that it was the young scholar who had sparked the brawl in the first place.

Wait, what did the general call him?

“You were here the entire time? What happened?” General Li Jing asked.

Huang Ming slowly pat the dust off his robes and shot the soldiers an evil look. He wondered which one of them had landed the grazing hit on his nose.

“Well…” he drawled musically, deliberately dragging the word and causing the assembled soldiers to sweat.

“Well?” General Li Jing echoed impatiently.

“They were just having some harmless fun,” Huang Ming answered.

General Li Jing stared at him, his mouth agog. He dramatically gestured at the White Wolves and Black Bears, his sweeping wave encompassing their ripped and tattered clothes, the missing teeth, purplish bruises, broken noses and black eyes.

“Harmless fun! You call this harmless fun?” General Li Jing exclaimed.

“Haha!” Huang Ming laughed and clapped the general’s back jovially. “Surely some roughhousing is to be expected among soldiers. They just have a lot of pent up stress, that’s all!”

“But-!”

“Don’t worry about it!” Huang Ming interrupted his protest and winked.

“Well, if you say so…” General Li Jing mumbled. “What are you going to do with them?”

Huang Ming rubbed his sore nose and squinted at the White Wolves and Black Bears.

“Leave them to me, I’ve got some ideas,” Huang Ming said with a cold smile, and the men shivered.

Li Jing saw the glint in Huang Ming’s eyes and almost felt pity for the soldiers.

“You’re the Royal Inspector,” he said. “They are yours to command as you see fit.”

Huang Ming cupped his hands and bowed. “I’ll make good use of them,” he said solemnly, and once more the men shuddered.

Li Jing quashed the urge to ask what exactly he had planned. He gave the soldiers one last glance and shook his head before walking away.

The White Wolves and Black Bears stood still, eyeing the Royal Inspector with doubts and trepidation.

“You guys are dead,” Huang Ming growled.

Taking command,
    With a firm hand.

20. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “I'm yours, and I'm not yours.”
    --Samantha, ‘Her’ (2013)

Chapter 161 – Lack of communication

It was a celebratory feast, with a plethora of delicious foods and exotic dancers as the evening’s entertainment. The mood was jovial, the guests flushed from the drinks and seeing the alluring dancers turn and twist their bodies and flung their silk ribbons enticingly.

Perched on the seats of honour were the leading couple of the day, the pride of the Jins. The Prince and Princess of Jin were still young, yet they were already celebrated figures and venerated by the masses.

Prince Jin Bao the Jade Dragon was a handsome man with a physique tempered by years of horse-riding, archery and swordsmanship. He was no soft-skinned heir to the throne; he had ably demonstrated his intelligence in courtly struggles and his valour in the country’s military endeavours.

His consort Princess Jin Hua the Golden Flower was even younger, yet her accomplishments were no lesser than the prince’s. In only a few short years, she had sparked innovations and reforms throughout the country. The Jins had a nomadic culture, but with her relentless drive and miraculous inspiration they were rapidly transforming into an agricultural one.

Of course, such changes did not sit well with everybody. There were a few who had sneered at the very thought of farming, yet when even their revered prince smilingly picked up a hoe and obeyed the directions of his wife to start a small garden of their own; it quickly sparked a trend for others to follow.

They were truly a heavenly pair, a matchless couple. The way they had openly displayed their love for each other, the way they had rebuffed jealous rivals, the times they had stood together against malicious plots and bitter gossip had earned them lavish praises.

Yet despite the splendid and merry festivities, the Princess of Jin showed little cheer. She had pecked at her food distractedly, only looking up with a fake smile and pretending to drink a toast whenever she heard her name being mentioned by the guests.

The Prince of Jin looked worriedly at his consort. With the guests suitably intoxicated by the drinks and the exotic dancers, he finally had the chance to lean close to his wife.

“Are you alright? Is the food not to your liking?” he whispered with concern.

Jin Hua shook her head and the golden braids on her resplendent headdress tinkled.

“Just a little tired,” she said softly. The gleams of light reflecting off her jewellery gave her an ethereal feeling.

“I told you to rest more and not work so much,” Jin Bao said, handsome face frowning.

“But there is so much to do,” she said with a rueful sigh.

Prince Jin Bao’s frown deepened. “What is it? Is there something I can do?” he asked plaintively. If it was another woman who saw his wounded puppy look, surely her heart would have melted.

But not Jin Hua. The Golden Flower gave her husband a reassuring smile and nodded towards the dinner party to hush him, silently urging him to drop the matter.

Jin Bao knew his wife well. Despite being married, he knew she was loathed to give up her secrets. It was one of the qualities that had intrigued him, her mysteriousness a component to his infatuation with her.

Yet it could be a little frustrating whenever he was made to feel helpless to alleviate her burden. Sometimes he was a little jealous of her talented and eclectic group of subordinates, there were times when he had felt she depended on them more than he would have liked.

But recently his heart was more piqued than usual. Jin Hua had been very distracted of late; ever since a spy report from Wu reached her desk. He had asked her about it, only to be rebuffed. And now this…

Thus he could only exhale in sulky resignation. His own cheerful mood dissipated, and he too pasted a fake smile on his face for his guests.

After the feast, the prince tried to ask his wife once more. At the very least, let him help in any way he can. Surely there was something he could do…

“I have my plans, do not be such a worrywart,” she laughed, a sparkling sound that soothed his soul. In the end he dropped the matter, and allowed her to have her way.

Thereafter Jin Hua convened a meeting, summoning her trusted subordinates. Each had their special talents that made them important to Princess Jin Hua’s strategic vision, and she kept them close to be at her beck and call. They were her personal assistants; even her husband the prince had no authority over them.

“Well, shall we begin?” an elderly man with a pronounced hunchback asked, a sheaf of papers in his hands.

“We are not all here,” another person reminded him, an alluring woman who wore her silk gown loosely so that her pale shoulders were exposed.

“Where is that oaf? He is always late!” a gloomy young man in black robes grumbled. His long hair was combed down so that half of his face was obscured. The exposed half showed a devilishly handsome face with cruel eyes and thin lips.

Just then, the doors swung open, and a squat looking man walked in. He had a broad, muscular chest and an unruly beard. A number of daggers were stuck prominently on his belt.

“Sorry for the lateness!” the short man said. It was an unconvincing apology, for he belched loudly right after. The others in the room wrinkled their noses in various degrees of disgust.

“How nice of you to join us,” the alluring woman said with a barely concealed sneer.

“I’d join you any time! ” the squat man leered back.

The elderly hunchbacked man rapped his knuckles on the table to prevent an argument.

“Princess, we are here,” he said to remind them of Jin Hua’s presence.

“Finally!” the gloomy young man exclaimed. “But why have you called for us? The scheduled meeting isn’t for another week.”

Princess Jin Hua shook her head. “This is not about your progress reports, it is regarding another matter.”

The alluring woman arched an enticing eyebrow. “Another matter? Is it about Wu?”

Jin Hua nodded.

“Bah, those southerners,” the short man said scornfully. “I don’t understand why you are still stopping us from invading them. Send me! Send me! I’ll sweep them aside for you!”

“That is boring,” the Princess of Jin said with a roll of her eyes.

“Agh, you wound me,” the squat man said forlornly, beating a fist over his heart exaggeratedly.

“Let me go instead,” the gloomy young man volunteered.

“You are more boring than he is,” Jin Hua replied, a grin taking the sting out of the criticism.

“I didn’t want to go anyway,” the gloomy young man muttered, still slightly miffed.

“What sort of matter in Wu that requires our attention?” the hunchbacked old man asked gravely.

“There is an unknown quantity in Beihai,” Princess Jin Hua said.

“Beihai? There is nobody worth mentioning ever since General Yin was transferred,” the squat man scoffed.

“Isn’t Li Jing the new commander there?” the alluring woman asked.

The gloomy man sniffed. “Just a man with terrible hygiene,” he sneered. But he then rested his eyes on his squat colleague.

“What was that?!” the shorter man bristled with anger.

“I meant Li Jing,” the gloomy man said, but still keeping his eyes on him.

The squat man swung violently at him, and the gloomy young man had to leap back to avoid it. The movement caused his hair to flutter, and for a fleeting moment his full face could be seen. The half which was obscured by his long hair was hideously scarred and deformed.

“Enough,” the hunchback elder intervened wearily. “Princess, do you want us to investigate and remove this… ‘unknown quantity’?” he asked.

Jin Hua tapped her fingers on the table, and the room fell silent. They knew she was gathering her thoughts, and even the rudest and impatient among them waited respectfully for their princess.

“I want to know if he’s worth recruiting into our fold,” she finally said.

“Oh? Who is this person?”

“You might know of him. They say he was the one who gave Wei’s General Ran Wei a bloody nose at Tigertrap Pass, and that he all but orchestrated the fall of Wu’s Prime Minister Tong Xuan,” the princess informed them.

It provoked varying reactions from them. The eyes of the short man widened and blazed with rivalry, while the gloomy young man narrowed his in deep suspicions.

“Mmm,” the alluring woman smiled and licked her lips with relish. “I have heard of him. They say he is a very handsome young man. Still unmarried too!”

The hunchbacked elder frowned. “If he is that talented, what is he doing at Beihai? Why wouldn’t the King of Wu keep him at his palace as an advisor?”

“Who cares!” the squat man shouted. “Send me! Give me soldiers, I’ll bring him back for you!”

“You’re just looking for a fight,” the gloomy young man scoffed.

“Damn right I am!”

The alluring woman ignored them. “Well, I’d be more than happy to investigate him for you, princess,” she said breathily.

“You slut!” the two arguing men exclaimed in unison, causing the alluring woman to screech back at them.

The hunchbacked elder rubbed his creased brows at the disorder. He looked back at the princess helplessly and saw that she was smiling, as if taking pleasure at the infantile fighting among them…

Later, a decision was reached and those given their various responsibilities went their separate ways. Princess Jin Hua then retired and went to bed, filing the matter into a mental compartment knowing that she had already made her mind and it was pointless to change it. It was one less distraction, and she could turn her focus on to other matters.

Little did she know that what she decided in the meeting soon found its way to the Prince of Jin. Jin Bao was enamoured with his wife, and Jin Hua have no one to blame except for herself as she was the one who wilfully ensnared him to love her and her alone.

Yet it also meant he was deathly afraid of losing her, and thus he had her monitored without her knowledge. This news about her interest regarding a rising star in Beihai was like a gnawing pain that clutched at his heart.

Thus the Prince of Jin too dispatched his own agents to Beihai…

He is unaware of the trouble,
    That he had brought to this couple.