Novel The Great Game - The Young Master (Ch.308) [finished]

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by rdawv, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Ale Cole

Ale Cole [FGO Newbie][Uninteresting][Onee-san Searcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    He knows she was going to frame him later on.

2. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the chapter.
    Though I haven't received any alerts for some reason for the last few.
    Anyone have a solution?

3. idgetsxx

idgetsxx The Real Life Snorlax

Reading List:
    Link
    Complaining here seems to work for me.

4. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    No idea, it's been happening to several others, me included. I sometimes don't see the comments from the readers in the thread.

5. crimsonwolf8439

crimsonwolf8439 My generation has come and gone...

Reading List:
    Link
    Just checking in on alerts frequently keeps you there. Perhaps it is a function to clean cluttered messes? Too many threads subscribed and you get 400 alerts a day.

6. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    "Well, don't be stupid! Tell her where you're going. In fact, tell her who you work for. She'll be impressed."
    --William Cabot, 'The Sum of All Fears'

Chapter Seventy Eight – There is more

There was not another wedding to be held. Huang Ming told the crowd that the situation was still ambiguous, and the double engagement required time for those involved to sort out their feelings.

“How much time do you need? One month? Six? Do you know how difficult it is to assemble the clan like this? You might as well marry them both and be done with it, rather for our relatives to travel back and forth across the country,” his mother had demanded impatiently.

“Am I the one getting married or you?” Huang Ming grumbled, much to the amusement of his family.

“There!” Madam Li pointed. “Your insolence right there is what worries me. With your temperament I’m sure you’ll find more women troubles down the line if they aren’t there to rein you in.”

Qiong Ying laughed. She snapped her fan shut and saluted the matriarch. “Don’t worry, we’ll be sure to keep an eye on him. While we appreciate your enthusiasm, it is true that this comes as a surprise for all of us. I beg your indulgence so that certain matters could be discussed further.”

She gave a sidelong glance to Sunli and the guardswoman nodded stiffly in agreement.

Eventually Madam Li was persuaded and the entire matter was concluded. The clan members were disappointed, but were also relieved as they had not prepared for such an occurrence. Besides, they were already packed up and had made arrangements to leave that day, and so they merely proceeded as per their original intentions. As they left, Huang Ming gave them some whispered instructions and gifts.

“What are these?” they had asked.

Huang Ming had given them the spring-loaded hidden blades, rope darts and other clever gadgets that he had managed to make with his simple tools. He did not have the opportunity to use them against Lord Fang La, and after hearing Qiong Ying’s warnings he decided to have them mass manufactured.

“Just so-and-so devices. Feel free to break them apart and find how they worked and improve on them. Keep them in secret and make more, I’m sure your mercenary companies can find use for them,” he told them.

His relatives were delighted, and as they said their goodbyes, they exhorted Huang Ming to behave. “Don’t you dare muck this up,” an aunt warned. Others made sly remarks and envious comments at his engagement predicament.

Little Huang Zhixiao was most reluctant to leave, the little girl clung on to her new favourite uncle. Huang Ming searched for a gift, but she extracted a promise for him to write regularly instead. The little girl bravely held back her tears and waved at him until her family’s carriage faded out of sight into the horizon.

“She is very cute,” Qiong Ying commented, seeing Huang Ming’s distracted look.

“Hmm? Yes, she is,” he agreed, but his thoughts were already elsewhere.

“Is something wrong?” she asked.

“It’s this music box that I borrowed from Miss Lin Hua. She told me a merchant from Jin sold it to her,” he said. He had seen the box again while looking for a present for his niece, and he was guiltily reminded of his promise to repair it.

Qiong Ying had scowled when Lin Hua’s name passed from his lips, but it turned grim when the state of Jin was mentioned.

“There are many clever fellows in my sister’s employ, maybe it’s one of their products. But we’ll see about that later, Madam Xu is coming with my things. Send her to me when she arrives,” she said.

“What things?” Huang Ming asked.

“I need to be presentable when we meet your parents later,” she said airily. Then Qiong Ying turned towards Sunli and held her hand. “This concerns you too,” she told her. The guardswoman was still smarting from her bizarre engagement but allowed herself to be pulled along.

“What about me?” Huang Ming asked.

“Go away, we women have some things to discuss in private,” Qiong Ying said, waving a hand in dismissal.

He chuckled but did not complain, hoping that the two women could work out their differences.

As Qiong Ying’s requested, a family council was held a few hours later. The maids and servants closed the doors and windows and withdrew.

“Well, what is it now?” Huang Zheng asked gruffly. He was the sort that did not take surprises well, and in recent times he found himself utterly bedevilled by his wife and sons who had conspired behind his back. Qiong Ying’s reveal was another one, and he took it a little more personally as he had been completely fooled by the Quan Lu disguise.

“I’m in the dark as you are,” Huang Ming said honestly.

As if on cue, Qiong Ying and Sunli arrived. Qiong Ying had changed clothes, she was dressed as a woman this time. For the Huangs, it was the first time they saw her as such. She wore a magnificent green, flowing silk robe decorated with dragons swimming in the clouds, her long hair tied in a loose tail that flowed down the small of her back. A slight tinge of cosmetics highlighted her lips and emerald eyes against her pale, flawless skin; truly a sight to behold.

Fortunately for the Huang men, their wives were also distracted to have noticed their awe.

The exception was Huang Ming as his attention was on Sunli who stood beside Qiong Ying. She wore a polished suit of scaled military armour. Not the grey, nondescript suit that she had worn previously, this one was black with red plates and trimmings. It wasn’t the armour of a simple soldier, this was something for an officer of rank as befitting her true identity. She appeared very valiant and formidable, and it wasn’t difficult for Huang Ming realize why Huang Ke was a little daunted by Sunli in their previous encounters.

Seeing them thus, the Huangs could not help but heap praises on the two women.

Qiong Ying and Sunli nodded to each other and they greeted the Huangs in their own ways. Sunli knelt on one knee like a soldier and and saluted with a fist over her heart, her eyes downward. Qiong Ying on the other hand knelt down in maidenly fashion, placed one hand over the other on the ground and bowed deeply, reminding Huang Ming of a Japanese custom.

Madam Li and Huang Zheng were startled by their deep obeisance.

“What are you doing? Get up, get up,” they exhorted.

“We have deceived your family, this is our apology,” Qiong Ying and Sunli murmured together.

“Enough. We only have tigers in our family, there is no need for such formalities in the future,” Madam Li said, much pleased by their display. Even Huang Zheng’s expression became softer.

Both Sunli and Qiong Ying tensed up when she said ‘family’. Even though their current situation was still ambiguous and less than ideal, it would seem that their marriage to Huang Ming was a foregone conclusion.

Qiong Ying was especially moved. She bowed deeply once more.

“Let me formally introduce myself. This one is called Qiong Ying, originally from the state of Jin. You know of me as the Lady of the Lichun, and I bring with me my dowry,” she said solemnly.

“Oh?” Madam Li asked skeptically, as it was obvious that the beautiful woman who was still kneeling before them was empty handed.

She told them: “I have settled here in this city for several years, but I had lived in many places previously. And in every stop, I have established a network of informants. Under my care, there are more than a hundred souls working as my eyes and ears. From them, I receive various information and news from across the continent.”

Qiong Ying’s green eyes looked directly into the Huangs. “That is what I offer,” she said and paused, allowing her words to sink in.

The Huangs sucked a deep breath, this was basically a spymaster outing herself. Huang Ming remembered Qiong Ying’s words when he had confronted her about her ‘test’: “Because this isn’t just about me.”

Then she continued, “I know many things. For example, last night Lord Fang La vented his anger on Nangong Xie and official Shen He. Lord Fang La plans to depart tomorrow back to the capital to inform his uncle Prime Minister Tong Xuan about the ‘Wei’ raid, and he was afraid that he would be punished for failing to take charge of the city’s legions away from you, General Huang Zheng.”

“How do you know this?” Huang Zheng demanded.

“One of Nangong Xie’s servant girls is indebted to me, she had overheard their meeting,” Qiong Ying answered.

It was a short statement, but one that sent warning bells ringing in those who had heard her. Qiong Ying saw that Huang Lang eyes had tightened.

“Rest assured, I did not infiltrate this house, nor had the need to. Your family servants have followed you loyally for a long time, and you have not recruited anyone new when you settled here,” she said.

Huang Lang nodded, but his eyes were still wary.

“Where is this leading to?” he asked.

“I have dire news to share. The faux ‘Wei’ raid that I proposed to Miss Sunli and carried out by her father General Zhao Tong...” here Qiong Ying motioned to the guardswoman who nodded in acknowledgement, “…was in fact a prelude to an imminent and very real attack by Wei.”

“What?!” Huang Zheng and Huang Ke chorused.

“Even as we speak, General Ran of Wei is submitting plans to his king to launch an invasion on our country to take advantage of the growing unrest caused by Prime Minister Tong Xuan and Marshal Gao Fang,” Qiong Ying said gravely.

“Is this for certain?” Huang Zheng exclaimed.

“I had ulterior motives when I suggested using Wei disguises for the ‘raid’. One was to frighten Lord Fang La, and the other was to have him return to the capital and report it. Thus, the fake attack becomes a real warning,” Qiong Ying explained.

Huang Ming arched an eyebrow at this, realizing just how deep this woman really was.

‘What have I gotten myself into?’ he thought, not for the first time.

While he was playing and fumbling,
    In the distance, a storm is rumbling.

7. Zone Q11

Zone Q11 『The Gas Mask』『Monochrome Plebeian』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes! First! Thanks for the chapter!

8. MTK469

MTK469 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the chapta!

9. idgetsxx

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't believe I forgot it was Sunday!!!!! Didn't occur to me to check here, I stopped by a Chick-fil-A, and found out I missed some of my football team's game *cries*. Thanks for the chapter!

10. Mufarasu

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda hope this picks up soon.
    Feels like the MC is treating things too casually (though that's understandable), but still. I'd like it if he was working more concretely towards a specific objective, and not so much on this slice-of-life stuff.

11. idgetsxx

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree (kind of), but it should be picking up. He has the upcoming war with Wei and the fight with the other avatar (whom he had only just discovered).

12. Mufarasu

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd think that, but some authors kill their stories by having chapters upon chapters of the MC dithering around, and describing EVERYTHING he/she does every day.

Not that this author does that. Just a reminder for the author to keep pacing in mind because I like the story.

13. LoneWanderer23

LoneWanderer23 Imperator

Reading List:
    Link
    MC needs either needs to put the pedal to the metal or take the stealth route. Perhaps a mix of both

14. Ale Cole

Reading List:
    Link
    Wei is coming...

15. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    “Men, you are about to embark on a great crusade to stamp out runaway decency in the west. Now you men will only be risking your lives, whilst I will be risking an almost certain Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor.”
    --Hedley Lamarr, ‘Blazing Saddles’

Chapter Seventy Nine – Tigertrap Pass

The atmosphere turned heavy as they digested what the mysterious Lady of the Lichun had told them.

“Suppose you are right…” Huang Lang began warily.

“Don’t just take my word for it. Send scouts to Tigertrap Pass, you will see that there is already an encampment of soldiers there,” Qiong Ying said.

“How do you even-” Huang Ke sputtered with disbelief.

“The transport caravan that General Zhao Tong raided was destined for that pass,” Qiong Ying told him, omitting the part on how she had gotten the information in the first place. But after what she had told them, it needed not to be said.

“How many soldiers are there?” Huang Zheng demanded.

Qiong Ying shook her head in regret. “My information is not that detailed. I only knew that there was a supply convoy headed there, and thus arranged for General Zhao to intercept it. I do not know how many troops are there in Tigertrap Pass itself.”

“Father, we must destroy the camp lest it be reinforced as Wei’s staging area,” Huang Ke said urgently.

“Why destroy it?” Huang Ming smiled.

“What are you saying? We can’t allow Wei to build a strategic fortification right in front of our noses,” Huang Zheng said, his brows furrowed with worry.

“I mean, why destroy it when we could take it over?” Huang Ming asked. “We already know war is coming. Why sit back and let them dictate the pace? We should go forth and seize the initiative.”

“Take it over? You mean…”

“I’m serious. The reason they are invading is because they perceive our country to be weak and distressed internally. They would never expect a strike from us first,” Huang Ming explained.

“This might work…” their father said as he rubbed his wintry beard thoughtfully.

Huang Ming saw that his father was becoming convinced, and he pressed on by saying, “The best defence is a good offence. Right now, we have the advantage. They will not know that we’re coming. One swift stroke and we could very well prevent Wei’s invasion from ever taking place by taking over Tigertrap Pass. If they were to be given time to assemble and prepare, we could find ourselves outnumbered and overwhelmed in the future. Of course, Marshal Gao would dither in sending reinforcements, and how could we survive then?”

“Good!” Huang Zheng said and slapped the armrest of his chair. “The best defence is a good offence, I will have to remember that one.”

“Does that mean we’re attacking?” Huang Ke asked, his blood boiling with excitement.

Huang Zheng nodded. “You will act as the vanguard, I’ll be supporting you,” he said, and Huang Ke was pleased. He saluted his father and immediately set off, pausing only to give Liu Yuchun a whisper or two.

“Father, I would like to follow him,” Huang Ming interjected, much to the shock of those present.

“War isn’t a game,” his father said with a frown.

Huang Ming laughed. “It’s not as if I’m going there to swing a sword or pull a bow. I want to observe, it’s time for me to learn about such matters.”

“You are right,” Huang Zheng agreed.

“I want to follow as well,” Sunli spoke up.

“Good, you can look after him then,” Madam Li said in satisfaction, much to the annoyance of the persons concerned.

“I don’t need a babysitter,” Huang Ming groused while Sunli scowled in response.

“No, but you need a capable guardsman,” his mother said in a tone that brooked no further dissent.

The preparations were made quickly, and Huang Lang was sent to inform Governor Cao about what was happening.

As Huang Ming climbed onto his own horse to join his brother, Qiong Ying appeared.

“You don’t need to be so hasty to prove yourself,” she said quietly.

He tussled her hair and laughed. “It’s time I make something of myself, I can’t be trapped with my ridiculous reputation forever,” he said.

“We have to go,” Sunli said brusquely, motioning at the departing legion ahead of them. Huang Ke did not wait for his brother, he was eager to score a merit and had set out without him.

“Alright,” Huang Ming said. “I’ll be back,” he told Qiong Ying and spurred his horse.

“Take care of him,” Qiong Ying said to the guardswoman. Sunli looked at her expressionlessly and nodded. Then she too kicked her horse and rode after Huang Ming.

She looked on to his disappearing profile with mixed emotions.

“You will have to get used to this,” Madam Li said.

“I’m not sure that I ever will,” Qiong Ying said absent-mindedly.

Huang Ming was similarly absent-minded as he joined his brother’s column.

‘I need to learn how the military forces and weapons in this world works,’ he thought. ‘Then I’ll see about making my mark and building my forces… then...’

“Ah!” he exclaimed involuntarily.

“Something wrong?” Sunli asked as she rode beside him. Huang Ming shook his head hastily.

“No, er, I just remembered something, nothing important,” he said vaguely.

Sunli narrowed her eyes suspiciously but dropped the issue. Instead, she paid attention to Huang Ke and saw how he was directing the troops. The Mountain-Splitter was a famed veteran soldier, and she mentally took notes regarding his methods.

Huang Ming was grateful for the distraction, he did not want Sunli to know the reason he had yelped. He had shifted his body in mid-thought and discovered that he was saddle-sore. It was a physical and painful reminder that despite his mental experience, his current physical body was not quite up to what he was accustomed to. He had exercised regularly to build up his strength, but things like getting used to saddle soreness and developing sword callous would have to develop naturally.

Then he saw that several scouts were making their report to Huang Ke, and he rode forward to hear it as well.

“Sir, there are indeed Wei troops in the pass. Several thousands of them, and most of them are busy building a wooden fort as if for a long-term use,” a scout reported.

Huang Ke nodded grimly. “Looks like she was right,” he grudgingly said to his younger brother.

“What do you plan to do?” Huang Ming asked him.

“Attack, of course,” Huang Ke said matter-of-factly.

Huang Ming was astonished. “Head on?”

“You’re the one who suggested a lightning strike,” Huang Ke reminded him.

“That was before I saw the place. It’s easy to go in and attack, but if they are well-drilled it would be costly to dislodge them,” Huang Ming said.

“Then what do you suggest?”

“Lend me some soldiers, I’ll draw them out,” Huang Ming said.

One brother was blunt,
    The other a stunt.

16. idgetsxx

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the chapter!

rdawv likes this.
  17. Ale Cole

Reading List:
    Link
    One brother was sore
    the other was a dork....

Thanks for the chapter and I can't wait to see what Wakadanna is up to!!

18. Lokumi

Lokumi 『The second greatest trash of society』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the chapter!

rdawv likes this.
  19. Mufarasu

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the chapter.

rdawv likes this.
  20. rdawv

Reading List:
    Link
    Merry Christmas!

“Wait my lord, do not despair. For I have a cunning plan.”
    --Baldrick, ‘Blackadder’

Chapter Eighty - Tigertrap Pass (2)

“Lend me some soldiers, I’ll draw them out,” Huang Ming said.

Huang Ke squinted at his younger brother. “No,” he grunted in dismissal.

“What? Why?” Huang Ming demanded.

“What do you mean, ‘why’? I’m not going to let my men get killed by your lack of experience,” Huang Ke said. Then he added offhandedly, “Nor you. Mother would be most disappointed if that happened.”

“I assure you, getting killed is not part of my plan,” his brother said dryly.

Huang Ke was not amused. “This is no joking matter, lives are at stake here.”

“That’s the point. I don’t want to see you throw the lives of your soldiers against a prepared enemy position,” Huang Ming said.

Huang Ke sighed. “Well, what do you have in mind?”

Huang Ming leaned in and whispered. Those who were observing the two brothers saw that Huang Ke’s eyebrows rose higher and higher.

“...Is it going to be so easy?” Huang Ke asked dubiously.

“The enemy will not be able to resist the temptation.”

Huang Ke had several other questions, his brother was able to supply the answers readily.

“Fine, we’ll do it your way,” his brother agreed finally. Whereupon he assigned a troop of a thousand veteran soldiers to his younger brother; experienced men who were brave and clever. The veterans were dismayed at this assignment, thinking that it was a demotion.

“Sir, have we done something to slight you?” a grizzled veteran boldly asked Huang Ke.

“Nonsense,” the Mountain-Splitter said. “My brother might not look like much, but he will be going into the lion’s den with you; so you lot better clean out your ears and follow his orders. To the letter! Understand?”

The veterans were greatly astonished. They had thought that they were given a babysitting duty and did not expect that the milk-faced, scholarly-looking younger brother of their commander was risking his own life.

“I know you men have some doubts, but I’m not an idiot out to make a name for himself. If we pull this off, we will be able to spare your fellow brother soldiers from a frontal assault,” Huang Ming told them.

Convinced, the veteran soldiers bowed. “We will hear and obey!” they chorused and saluted.

Then Huang Ming told them to prepare certain things.

“I’m coming with you,” Sunli announced.

“Of course,” Huang Ming replied easily, much to her surprise.

As planned, Huang Ming and his troop of veterans split from the main legion and went ahead to Tigertrap Pass. Huang Ming saw that there were indeed Wei soldiers at the pass. Already there were the crude outlines of a walled structure being constructed. If given time, the wooden fencing and palisades would be reinforced by rammed earth and bricks; turning the encampment into a true fortification.

“This is a strategic spot, why hasn’t anyone try to build a fort here before?” Huang Ming asked.

One of the veterans told him: “There wasn’t a need to, at least for us. On our end, we have the cities of Tianxin and Wuxin nearby, guarded by General Huang and General Zhao. On Wei’s side, the pass is quite barren. They must have needed to transport every piece of timber and stone from elsewhere to build this much.”

“We must really thank Wei for spending the time and effort to build this fort for us,” Huang Ming smiled.

He gave orders to several doughty men to disguise as Wei soldiers, to tear their uniforms and splatter themselves with the blood of animals so as to appear ragged and heavily wounded. Huang Ming himself did the same, scrubbing dust and dirt over his hair and face to complete the disguise.

When Sunli saw that Huang Ming was personally joining in, she became alarmed.

“What are you playing at?” she demanded.

“I need you to stay here and hide with the rest of the men. You will do so-and-so, just wait for the signal,” Huang Ming told her.

Sunli was nonplussed. “And you? What are you going to do? Don’t tell me you’re going in there?”

“Someone has to open the door,” Huang Ming said. Sunli was about to protest, but he cut her off. “Off you go. Remember, I’m depending on you,” he said.

Sunli reluctantly obeyed and took the remaining veterans to hide.

Huang Ming eyed the score or so men with him, all suitably dressed for their part of the drama.

“Let’s get this show on the road,” he said light-heartedly, his confidence bolstering the veterans.

The ‘wounded’ group limped and groaned their way to the Wei encampment. They were quickly spotted by the Wei soldiers, and they were brought to the encampment’s commanding officer’s tent.

“Who are you? What happened to you?” he demanded when he saw Huang Ming leading the group of injured Wei soldiers.

“We’re from General Wei Kun’s supply convoy, we were ambushed!” Huang Ming said as he prostrated on his knees in exhaustion.

“What?! I have been wondering at the delay, so that’s what had happened!” the commanding officer seethed.

“It’s that devil Zhao Tong, he came out of nowhere and attacked the convoy. We were scattered, and we know not what happened to General Wei Kun,” Huang Ming lamented.

“That fool! I told him that his feud with Zhao Tong would be his undoing. Now I’m dragged along by his incompetence!” the officer snarled.

Huang Ming trembled, affecting the mannerisms of a terrified underling. “Sir... there is something else…” he stammered.

“Speak!” the officer hollered.

“Sir, as we hid to evade capture by the Wu soldiers, we overheard them talking about their plans,” Huang Ming said, lowering his eyes in fear.

“Plans? What plans?”

“That… well, they say Zhao Tong has already went away to celebrate his victory, but he’s not taking the captured supplies with him. They say it’s being sent to Tianxin City instead. Something about a relief effort,” Huang Ming replied slowly.

“Relief effort…” the officer repeated in a murmur.

“Sir, there are rumours about Tianxin City being marauded by bandits lately…” Huang Ming ventured to say.

“Yes, I heard the same. I heard even the hoary old Huang Zheng had a tough time with them,” the officer said, much to Huang Ming’s elation.

The officer stroked his chin in thought. “Tianxin City isn’t too far from here… maybe there’s a chance we can get the supplies back,” he mused. Huang Ming could see the greed on the officer’s face.

The officer then called for an attendant. “Send some scouts and check towards the direction of Tianxin City!” he ordered.

“Sir… about my men…” Huang Ming said plaintively.

The officer gave him a look of dismissal. “Report to the quartermaster and make yourselves useful.”

“Yes sir!” Huang Ming grovelled profusely, his men following suit.

Huang Ming then told his men to mingle in the encampment, they went about unmolested as they were ‘injured’. Several days passed uneventfully before the encampment became abuzz with activity.

“What’s going on?” Huang Ming asked a passing Wei soldier.

“The scouts have returned, they really found our supplies! The commander has ordered a sortie to recapture it!” the soldier said excitedly.

Huang Ming nodded and went off to find his men to give them instructions.

Soon, a large contingent of Wei soldiers left the encampment, leaving behind only a token force to guard the encampment. Huang Ming then went to the command tent to seek an audience with the commanding officer.

“What is it?” the officer asked.

“Sir, I just heard that you have sent troops to recapture the supplies?” Huang Ming asked.

“Indeed. What does it have to do with you?”

“Sir, my men and I wish to serve under you,” Huang Ming said.

The officer laughed. “What use do I have for defeated soldiers, especially those of that incompetent Wei Kun?” he sneered.

“I have some dirt on General Wei Kun regarding the loss of the supplies…” Huang Ming said.

“Oh?”

Huang Ming made as if to whisper, but in one swift motion he grabbed hold of the officer and clamped a hand over his mouth. The Wei officer began to struggle but slackened when a hidden blade suddenly ejected from Huang Ming’s wrist. The officer’s eyes widened in fear as the blade’s point hovered near his eyes.

“Hail Hydra,” Huang Ming whispered menacingly.

“What?” the officer mumbled in confusion.

Huang Ming grinned. “Just a private joke.”

The Wei officer snarled. “You are seeking death! What do you think you can accomplish by doing this?”

“Don’t bother resisting, you and your men have been poisoned,” Huang Ming told him coldly.

He could see the panic in the officer’s eyes. “W-what? What did you do?” the officer stuttered.

“We have been your cooks for the past few meals, I’m sure you can imagine,” Huang Ming said slyly, causing the officer to slump in defeat.

“What do you want?” he moaned, already feeling his stomach churning with unease.

“Tell your men to light a smoke signal and open the gates, you’re about to have guests. Don’t worry, we’ll give the antidote later.”

The officer glared at him, but he knew it was helpless to disagree. He ordered his men to light a smoke signal.

Soon, a troop of Wu soldiers appeared, at its head was Zhao Sunli; magnificent in her black and gold armour. The Wei soldiers were at first alarmed, and then confused when their commanding officer ordered the gate to be opened.

“Sir, what’s going on here?” one of the Wei soldiers asked.

The officer gritted his teeth. “Listen to me, we have all been poisoned by treachery. Our lives are in their hands, open the gate!”

The Wei soldiers became so terrified that they abandoned any thoughts of resisting.

Sunli had her own doubts, wondering if the Wei soldiers in the encampment would shower her and her troops with a hail of arrows. Much to her surprise, the gates were flung open and she effortlessly led her soldiers into the camp. The veteran soldiers with her were astounded when they saw the Wei soldiers within were kneeling in terror. The small group of men that had followed Huang Ming had smug grins on their faces, openly revelling at the puzzlement of their colleagues even as they went about disarming the cowed Wei soldiers.

A score of men had taken the camp intact and even captured the commanding officer.

“I have done as you have asked, now give us the antidote!” the commanding officer demanded.

“It’s coming, wait for it,” Huang Ming told him.

“What about those men who had went to recapture the supplies?” the officer asked.

Huang Ming gave him an emotionless look, and the officer sunk into a depression as he realized the implications. Within the hour, his worst fears were confirmed as Huang Ke and the rest of his legion marched triumphantly into the encampment with a contingent of defeated Wei soldiers. There were obvious signs of a battle, and the demoralized looks on the Wei soldiers all but told the story.

“Well done, little brother!” Huang Ke exclaimed joyfully.

“I take it that all went well?” Huang Ming asked.

“It is as you said. We dangled the bait and they were more than eager to rush for it. Once they had fallen into the trap it was a simple matter to encircle and rout them,” Huang Ke said.

The Wei commanding officer heard this and fell onto his knees in despair.

“Who is this?” Huang Ke questioned, seeing the distraught look on the Wei officer’s face.

“The commander of this camp,” Huang Ming told him.

“Oh. What do you plan to do with him?”

Huang Ming glanced at the sorrowful Wei officer and took pity on him. “You and the rest of your men are free to go,” he said.

The Wei officer was stunned, he stared at Huang Ming blankly.

“Didn’t you hear him? Leave!” Huang Ke said gruffly.

“We… we haven’t gotten the antidote yet,” the Wei officer stammered weakly.

“Antidote? What antidote?” Huang Ke frowned.

“For the poison!” the Wei officer shouted in desperation.

Huang Ming shook his head. “There was never any poison,” he said blandly.

“No poison? A trick?” the Wei officer whispered.

“A bluff,” Huang Ming corrected him. “Now leave this place, and tell your General Ran to forget about invading Wu.”

The Wei officer’s eyes turned bloodshot, he glared at Huang Ming with hatred. “Good, good!” he raged through clenched teeth.

He gathered his remaining men and marched back to Wei.

“You shouldn’t have spared them,” Huang Ke remarked as the defeated Wei soldiers disappeared into the horizon.

“There has been enough blood for today,” Huang Ming said.

For today.

Huang Zheng, the Great Blade,
    He had three sons, two made the grade.
    Huang Lang the eldest, courted in secret,
    And opposed his father without regret.
    Huang Ke the middle, found a woman of the forge,
    Their love as fiery as a roaring torch.
    Huang Ming the third, was a wastrel,
    But in their marriages, he was able.
    With his schemes he brought them all together,
    Two brides for his two brothers.
    Yet, he had his own troubles,
    For women, he had double.
    He went into battle to prove his worth,
    And shed his frivolous ways in his rebirth.

END PART ONE - THE MARRIAGES OF THE HUANG BROTHERS