Discussion The King’s Avatar: Is Glory a good game?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by BLKCandy, Mar 27, 2017.

?

Is it good or bad game? Will you play it?

1. It is a good game. You would play it.

39.7%
  2. It is a good game. But, you would not play it.

18.1%
  3. It is unclear.

20.7%
  4. It is not a good game. But, you would play it.

4.3%
  5. It is not a good game. You would not play it.

17.2%
  1. BLKCandy

BLKCandy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is Glory MMOARPG in 'The King's Avatar' a really good game you would want to play in the real world?

What we know about Glory is that it is 1st Person MMOARPG with numerous classes, items, including player custom equipment.

Unlike 'MMOVRRPG' in other novels, Glory still uses conventional interface like mouse, keyboard and monitor, player character movement are still restricted with preset move / skill like present games. However, those preset moves are well designed and balanced, allowing chains, combos, and counter combos for any play-style. Each class has clear role and tactic. This type of game is desired by many gamers for ages.

It appeals to players who love to use player skill in playing over total reliance on stats and RNGs, to the point of restricting unskilled players from entering Heavenly Domain with tests. There is no non-PVP server and player may be ambushed and killed in PVP at anytime.

The game has both instance-dungeons and open-world monsters, bosses, and quests, allowing the player to play in both. However, it seems that instance-dungeons are far more profitable in both loots and EXP than on open-world, and also much safer from PVP.

The game physics has been described to be very good, allowing the player to interact with everything in the map. Player can climb everywhere, dive deep into the water, or fly in the sky.

Another charm of the game is thanks to the competition organizer, rather than the game itself. Pro-players uses character and resources from the main server, thus connecting the pro-players with regular players. Allowing the fans to support their hero by farming resources for them. It is also possible to see pro-player in game and fight with them.

However it is not without its faults.

Glory is a grind hell. Despite appealing as a skill based game, players still need to grind. The grinding is endless. Even after opened for 10 years, top guilds still cannot equip their elites with full set of maximum rarity equipment, and player custom equipment is almost unseen outside pro-players due to its extreme resource requirement.

Arena match-making is bad. It seems that the match-making system failed to match players with similiar skill together and keep player with overwhelming skill from bullying others in arena. There is a player with 75% areana win rate and this player is not a top player either. This means the game match-making failed to match appropriate opponent for this player, either due to the fault in match-making system or lacks of challenging opponent.

It is 1st person. It is a fast paced 1st person ARPG. And it is not a shooter. Player fights fast paced melee combat in 1st person, and the camera was described to be very dynamic. It shakes and turns with the character. That is simply a horrible choice of view and could put off many players.

The barrier of entry. Not only it is a skill-based game with high skill demand, the game also requires special log-in equipment and physical log-in card for extra security. This is unnecessary for the gameplay and only cause more hassle.

Personally, it is a gamer fantasy, a very impractical game to develop and would be hard to be successful. It could be a hit among hardcore-gamers, but it would put off casuals. I'd rather not play it.

There maybe more pros and cons of the game, but what is your opinion on the Glory? Is it good or bad? What are pros and cons? Will you play it?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Shio and NZPIEFACE like this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    With money, I can design my own equipment and use it ingame. Sold.

And imagine the profit if this feature works in a way(not similarly) like CSGO crate, lottery, etc. That'll be good buisness for designers, modders and skin makers.

Gameplay sounds like a Dark Soul'ed MMO, where skill can beat stats.
    *cough* that reminds me.... For Honor...

3. Mr_Magika

Mr_Magika Big oof

Reading List:
    Link
    The equipment customizer would be revolutionary.

4. elairz

elairz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Glory was based on a game called DFO actually. I tried playing it but not really to my taste.

5. pothb

pothb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a horrible game, if I'm right, it's a 3rd person mmo, where you can't turn your camera except to look forward. Why do I think so? Well, there are parts where they say they can't see anything because they are spun in the air and got dizzy from it. Sounds like they can't turn their cameras.

Horrible, it would probably annoy me to no end.

6. dlist

dlist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it typical armor plot boasting game.

7. BLKCandy

Reading List:
    Link
    The extremely free equipment customization appeared in many game novels, though in reality, this is very impractical.

Allowing player to customize weapon stats and appearance is not difficult to program. Many real world games allows player to customize their equipment by combining templates and parts. But allowing the player to create a whole new equipment and change equipment behavior is hell. Developing a minigame to build a custom equipment with component processing and assembly effecting the item stats and appearance is just, very, very, impractical to program.

8. TSLives

TSLives Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't want to play a game where professionals can literally 1v1000...

9. kevmasterzoc

kevmasterzoc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If Glory as a game had the same level of character control described in the story, (which seems like it is pretty much at the level of moving your own body like in full immersion vrmmo stories) the controls for mouse and keyboard would be a complete nightmare which would make the finger speed and accuracy understandable for "pro" players, but would probably make the game way too impractical to play for the average gamer

amal vincent and BLKCandy like this.
  10. StormHawk

StormHawk I’m Back To Drop Bombs

Reading List:
    Link
    Do not trust games advertisements.. it ain't nothing like the real game.. expectations 10. Minus 8 is how the real game compared to the advertisements.

11. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    tka is only good because the author made all the in-depth characters that I love, I wouldn't play the game, doesn't feel right without the pros from tka

jodezaca and BLKCandy like this.
  12. Lestari

Lestari [✿Reader✿] p(^-^q) [♡Anime♡]

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a good game. But, I would not play it.
    because
    My cooperation between eyes, hand and the brain... is not good. (shy)

13. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of DCS ... How do i turn on the engines again ? What's an oil temperature ?

14. BLKCandy

Reading List:
    Link
    When I think about it, it kinds of like a flashy Dark Souls with a lot of air combos and stuffs...

Wait, that doesn't sounds like Dark Souls at all.

It is more like Dragon Nest. With more classes, items, styles, and better physics. And play in 1st person...

Does anyone even know Dragon Nest around here? It wasn't very successful.

15. Neruz

Neruz sssSSSssss

Reading List:
    Link
    The game's balance is shot to all hell; a complete and total joke. Much like every other 'litrpg game.' Authors are not game designers, unsurprisingly they are poor at designing games, especially since the game is merely a vessel for the story.

16. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    Better than all the crappy games out atm

Shio likes this.
  17. pothb

pothb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What sucked about Dragon's Nest is the characters. The over arching story didn't seem so bad but most of the characters were just meh.

But is it first person? I originally thought so, but a bunch of people told me it's a 3rd person game.

Also, Dragon's Nest was fun but I quit after leaving the first big town. And I think what brought it down, like most Nexon games and the like is the micro-transactions.

18. Damyabo

Damyabo [Butcher]

Reading List:
    Link
    WoW + cs:go/blade&soul FP pov, it will be awesome.
    Game world setting and grinding are true depiction of WoW.
    Arena battle scenes are very similar to WoW.
    Pros
    1.Dodging and rolling to avoid hit or spell that can't be fully implemented in currently famous MMO game.
    2.Equipment Editor to customize your things.
    3.Avatar customization, default,advance or input picture to fully edit your character.
    4.Heavenly Domain where you have to attempt to escape from normal server.
    5.Interesting Concepts like Underwater Combat.
    6.Boss Fights are logical and seems fun (even more fun than real MMORPG out there.)
    7.Arena Betting Match which you can freely decide the betting items.
    8. I forgot about skill point system too.
    You can freely choose which skill to focus on from many skills you can learn.
    You can decide and keep 7 useful spells under lvl 20 from other classes.
    You can be different from other character with same class, it is all up to your creativity.
    9.Their Lvl cap increase is bearable ,only 55->70 in 8 years.
    No need for a causal to grind too hard, for example , see Unrivaled Super Hottie and Exterminate Heaven Arc.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    amal vincent and BLKCandy like this.
  19. BLKCandy

Reading List:
    Link
    DN was a 3rd person, Glory is 1st person. TKA mention the character view in 1st person very often. But the play style is similar. It is class based, each class has its own flashy combos to juggle or suppress the enemy, those kind of things.

amal vincent likes this.
  20. Eternal Liar

Eternal Liar [Forever Alone Sect Founder]

Reading List:
    Link
    The amount of technical skills you can put in there puts me off, performance relies heavily on bypassing the usual way of how game skill and mechanics were intended to be used, meaning not including grinding but you have to practise in your spare time just to be good at the game. The time it takes to be a decent player is not a casual friendly game.

BLKCandy likes this.