The NUF Book Club for English Original Web Novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Arcturus, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to nominate A Practical Guide to Evil---I've been wanting to read that for a while now.

2. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    I've only read Mother of Learning and RRL(which left me with a bad taste). I'd like to join the club. Doubt I'll be able to nominate any books, at least in the beginning, but I might be able to do so once i start reading the good novels people recommend and start finding the good stuff as well.

3. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems nice. I read some western novels (both web and published) so I would like to join please.

4. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Well then the member can discuss why in the thread and maybe they can find reason to get past their dislike, and if not, they learn something new about their taste in novels. We don't force members to post actively on every novel. If someone is busy or would rather not read, then that is their decision.
    It's interesting. Also at a ridiculous cliffhanger

5. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I read How Not To Die on A Daily Basis based on a post of yours somewhere, but I dropped it later on because I can't handle manic pixie dream girls (plus that cringe-worthy 'fanservice' scene, and the minor characters were just so annoying). I read The Gam3 too, and though the characterization could be done better (and it can use some editing too---there are missing scenes and inconsistent developments), I still like the way it's going. Hopefully it doesn't start to get repetitive and boring in the future.

6. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I have it on hold currently. My thoughts towards the other party members have become worse and worse and I decided to stop for now

iampsyx likes this.
  7. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm..I don't really have the motivation to read originals because most of them reek of amaetur works but I'm really looking forward to this group!

Btw, can I recommend you to have some additional criteria?

Ex. ( This is my idea )

- Make the nomination list stricter, as in you need probably around 20-30% of the members to pass. While this will make the listed novels very few at the start, this will ensure the quality is kept, especially if you want the group to have a good reputation.

- Is readable. What I meant is that the grammar must have a decent level that it won't inhibit us from reading pleasantly.

- It is also better if the club has some well-known reviewers in the group.

1 reason is that they will be able to validate the novel quality, but this shouldn't be needed that much if you are making the nomination list requiring a majority of the members.

Another is that we can see their opinions about the novel and their ratings about it I guess? And also listing the cons & pros of the novel.

9. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    The nomination process lasts for 3 days. As of right now, there are 0 novels eligible for voting anyway. A novel is not completely nominated until it has been seconded
    No my list of nominations is perfectly fine. I will be vetting the novels, including for readability and I assure you I have much higher standards than you. The whole point is to have members who are new to english originals, so your stricter nomination idea is pointless since they don't have any ideas about what they are getting into or what is good. As you can see, there are currently 0 novels eligible for voting. And there is no need for reviewers to validate novel quality as I will be vetting the novels. The whole point is to, as a group, read and discuss novels. We aren't here to talk about what reviewers are saying. You seem to be missing the point of a book club.

AliceShiki, Sh1r0r3n and LittleFox21 like this.
  10. A5G_Reaper

Reading List:
    Link
    We're doing each session on a different thread if I get it right?

11. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Nominations will stay on this thread, but each individual discussion will have their own thread, correct.

12. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm..You're kinda missing some of my point too. Oh well.

13. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
  14. A5G_Reaper

Reading List:
    Link
    I think nobody's seconded anything so far. Do you have the list? Also, did you looked up all the novels?

15. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm familiar with several of the partially-nominated novels. Will look into only those unknown novels that can get a second. Lack of a second means that no other member has any interest in reading it and I'm not gonna waste my time. And yes there have been 6 nominated novels, none with seconds. Unless you nominated the Salvation War, which was not made explicit at all and will not be included on the list until then.

Updated List of nominated novels (with no seconds): Super Powereds, Void Domain, Demon's Journey, I was reincarnated as a Magic Academy, A Practical Guide to Evil and Black Sheep Prince.

No offense, but I think your point is stupid. You need to try to let go of your bias if you want to properly participate in this group and realize it's goal.

16. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I am reading circus of crazy bestseller

17. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    On a second thought, forget it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  18. A5G_Reaper

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I'm nominating that.

Are we supposed to give synopsis and the like to give others incentive to second it?

19. LittleFox21

LittleFox21 The Soon-to-be famous Nyatsune

Reading List:
    Link
    i've seen super powereds mentioned a few times. so if it's not a "second" then how does one second the nomination?
    (sorry if i sound stupid but looks like i'm not too familiar with english)

20. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have not problem to read anything unless it's too bullshit for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.