Novel The Protagonist is a Sidekick

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Ruyi, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    The Protagonist is a Sidekick
    [​IMG]
    Original Art of Sai and Al as drawn by the talented lluluchwan~
    (Their expressions look a little weird zoomed out, so zoom in!)​

Synopsis: After the usual hit-and-run accident, our resident heroine dies and is reborn in a typical fantasy setting. Magic this and destiny that makes up the usual fare. Next, she'll probably end up abusing a cheat and end up saving the world, right? What, she's not the hero? Well, being a villain's not so bad... Eh? That's not it, either?

"After all that, I'm only good enough to be the sidekick?"

And so, the adventures of Sidekick Saidora Kikku and her trusty hero begins!

"Who says that guy's my hero?!"

Genre: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Fantasy, Parody(?)
    Tags: Female Protagonist, 1st Person POV, Magic, Royalty, Demon Lords, [others to be added as they fit]

『An original story by Ruyi』
    ----------------------------------------------------------------​
    So yeah, I'm just writing this for amusement so I don't lose my regular English skills after translating Chinese syntax for so long. Updates will be sporadic because, again, amusement woot. I do have a general outline planned out for the beginning/middle/end, but who knows if we'll ever get there.

(If we don't, I'll post a summary of the plot someday. No biggie!) uwu

Published with minimal editing and a whole lotta spontaneous dialogue.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Table of Contents:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Lynne, XD, Akemin and 12 others like this.
  2. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 1: (A)typical Change of Fate
    “All right, the Demon Lord’s castle is just up ahead! Everyone ready to go?”

I stood with my legs spread apart, feet planted firmly on the ground as my majestic cloak fluttered in the breeze behind me. Before me was my trusty party of four: Swordsman, Archer, Healer, Assassin, all looking up at me with steadfast gazes.

Well, almost. I squinted as one of them took the chance to pick his nose.

“Oi, Archer! Get yourself together! This is an important battle!”

Archer was too busy looking at the treasured deposit on his finger. Then he opened his mouth and--

“Auuugh, stop, stop that! Don’t eat those things, geez--”

“Sai, I’m hunnnngry~” my Assassin complained, holding onto his round tummy with mournful eyes. Honestly, I’d hire a leaner mercenary if I could, but times were tough and my money--nonexistent.

“Just hold on a bit longer, okay? I’ll give you one of my cookies when I’m done, promise,” I said, before glancing over at my only ally. “Al, wipe ‘im.”

The resident Swordsman put down his weapon, the holy stick Excalibur, and took out a handkerchief before attacking Archer’s nose and fingers.

“Right, thanks. Anyways, Demon Lord’s castle--”

“I’m tireeeeed,” now it was Healer’s turn to complain. She gave me a pout, before bending down to dust her dress. “You’re taking sooo long, Sai! I wanna play house instead.”

“House? Can we make mudcakes?” Assassin’s eyes swiveled on Healer faster than a hawk zooming in on its prey.

“Sure!” Healer nodded smugly. “S’lot more fun than standing around!”

“You can’t do that!” I piped up. “We’re about to attack the castle! If you leave now, who’s going to save the world?! Hey wait, don’t go--” I jumped down from the lump of raised dirt in the field, not caring that the blanket tied around my neck was slipping off as I chased after the retreating party members. “Assassin, what about your cookie?!”

“M’not a sashing,” Assassin grumbled as he turned back. “I’ll just ask mum to make me s’more.”

My mom can make us all cookies,” Healer said smugly, before turning to grab Archer by the sleeve. “C’mon, Hans, you too.”

“W-what? Guys! Hey!!” I had too much dignity to drag them all back, so I settled for stomping my foot. “Gah, honestly! I hope the world never has heroes like you!”

“We can still save the world together.” By my side, Al had already retrieved his stick, shaking it a bit to dislodge the dirt at the ends. “A swordman and a magick-shin are strong enough.”

“Swordsman and magician," I reminded him, before plopping to sit on the ground with a whump. "And no, we can't, because that's not how the stories goooo~” My fingers picked up a stick of my own and dug it into the ground. “It’s always a full party that fights the big boss at the end. Otherwise, it won’t feel like a real RPG!”

“What’s a RPG?” Al blinked, his amber eyes bright and patient as he settled to sit across me. “Is it another rope?”

“Tropes,” I corrected automatically. “And yeah, it’s like that. There’s always a group of five to fight the big boss, y’know.” I stuck out my hand and starting ticking off the fingers. “Swordsman, Archer, Healer, Magician, Assassin--one for every class of hero makes the perfect balance!”

“But it's okay as long as we kill off the bad guys, right?” Al asked, tilting his head to one side. “Even if it’s just two people?”

“That’s so boring!” I pouted. “You can’t get a big battle with explosions and stuff without everyone fighting at once.”

“Is that what happens in the rop...the tropes?’”

“Exactly!”

“Why are tropes so important, anyways?”

“Because--!” Every story has its rules to follow, and this is a cliched one if I’ve ever seen it! Classic fantasy setting, jobs and classes for adventuring heroes, annual pilgrimages to defeat the Demon Lords--it was a scenario that almost felt like a game, except for the fact that I was living in it.

That’s right. I’m not from this world.

Seven years ago, I died and woke up here as a baby. I don’t remember how, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a truck was to blame--that’s the blandest example there is, and this is the blandest setting I could have: human girl in a human village of a human kingdom ruled by a king that once defeated the great Demon King.

Of course, with help from his own band of heroes in the past.

With the Demon King dead, the world grew peaceful-except for regular uprisings from the Demon King’s underlings that were quelled by would-be adventurers. This had gone on for the last 100 years...so being a “hero” was a normal profession now.

“Listen, Al,” I reached out to ruffle the hair of my nine-year-old neighbor, playing the part of wise mentor despite being two years younger. “Tropes are like cheats, you know? Get good with them and you know how the world works. Use them and you’re sure to beat the story, every single time.”

“Grandpa told me cheaters are bad people,” Al furrowed his brows at me. “You shouldn’t cheat, Sai.”

I flushed. “It’s not like that! Cheats like these are...are like knowing the ending to something before you get there!”

“Huh?”

“For example, like what happens to the main character,” I rushed on to explain.

"Rain c...arrot sirs?"

"The most important person in a story," I waved a hand impatiently. “See, if I was born as a orphan in a dinky village like this, chances are I have an amazing past. Maybe my parents were royalty, or I’m the lost heir to a powerful bloodline, or I'm even the Demon King’s secret daughter--”

“If you were really the Demon King’s daughter, the village wards won’t let you in,” Al interrupted with a frown.

“It’s just a maybe,” I huffed. “Don’t you think the Demon King has enough powers to bypass some simple village wards? Or even seal up my skills? Anyways, something will happen one day and I’ll awaken to my birthright, then start on my path to greatness in this world!”

“I don’t think it’s great being family with the Demon King,” Al said seriously.

“It’s just a maybe! Besides, I’m sure that won’t happen to me. The story doesn’t fit,” I said confidently. “I’m not an orphan and the village likes me fine! My past isn’t dark enough for that kind of plotline to exist.”

“Sounds like it could, though,” Al was still skeptical. “I’m an orphan. Will all that stuff happen to me, then?”

“No way! Not when you’re--” Not even the main character, is what I was going to say, but that was just rude. “--still a kid. I mean, wait until we grow up and then we’ll see.”

By then, I bet you’ll be the requisite Childhood Friend in my reverse harem collection!

Al looked at me thoughtfully, before blinking his eyes and nodding. “Okay.”

He was always like this, doing what he was told--even if it was a girl bossing him around. I thought he was smart, but not too bright. He didn’t think things over when nobody told him to. Still, I couldn’t complain when he was one of my only friends.

“Anyways, it’s getting late,” I said, rising to my feet. “Let’s catch some fish and take them home for dinner.”

“Again?” Al asked. “We caught some yesterday…”

“I like fish,” I stressed. “And you’re better at catching them than I am.”

“Oh...okay.”

“Heh, I’ll give you that cookie I saved back home!” I promised, smirking as his face lit up in a smile.

He was so easy to please.

--

We managed to reach the village just as the sun was setting, dying the skies a dusky orange. There wasn’t a net to store the two fish we’d caught, so I had Al wrap them up in leaves before tying them together with grass. Each of us held one in our arms as we entered the village gates...only to be met with the sharp cry of my mother.

“Ah! Dora, Al, there you are!”

I winced. “It’s not Dora, it’s Sai--”

“I’ve been looking all over for you two!” my mother ignored me to hustle us both into the town. “And--goodness, what’s this? You’re both reeking of fish!”

“We caught dinner,” I said, stumbling along as my mother pushed us along. “Mom, what’s going on?”

“Important guests!” my mother hissed. “They’ll be here by sundown, so hurry and wash up! Go rinse yourselves off by the pump, and by that I mean thoroughly!”

“Mom, at least make us fish for dinner?” I asked, raising up my parcel.

“You can eat whatever you’d like afterwards, just get clean for me first!” my mother huffed, grabbing our catch with one hand as she shoved us towards the pump with the other. “And don’t forget to scrub!”

“All right, all right!” I was already pumping a pail full of water as she left. Al looked around until he found a nearby slab of soap and brought it over.

“Who do you think is coming?” he asked.

“Eh, probably royal people or something,” I said as I ran water over my arms and hands. “Doesn’t the capital send men to the villages all the time?”

“The last one came at the start of spring,” Al replied, looking at the skies. “It’s only summer now.”

“Then maybe it’s a traveling merchant party,” I suggested. While it was rare for those types to stop by here, it wasn’t impossible. “A really rich one, so the village has to make a good impression.”

“Would they tell us ahead of time, though?” Al mumbled thoughtfully. By this point, I was past caring.

“We’ll know when they get there! I just hope they don’t take too long, because I’m hungry.”

“Geez, Sai, you’re always hungry…”

I splashed him with water in revenge. “Are you calling me a pig?!”

“Pigs don’t eat as well as you do, though…”

SPLASH!

--

We never did get to eat our fish, because mom was quick to drag us both into her rooms and start stuffing clothes into our arms. Even Al was given his dress shirt and trousers, conveniently brought over from his grandpa’s house next door.

“Mom, these are our best clothes,” I said, sorting through the fabric. “What’s going on?”

“Is it another Harvest Festival?” Al asked innocently. After all, that was the only time he wore things like this.

“Nothing of the sort! You’re both to be on your best behavior,” my mother replied, nimbly stripping Al’s shirt off before helping him into one with a collar. “These aren’t guests we can afford to offend.”

Obviously, something was up. My nose twitched; if I couldn’t smell a plot point from all these clues, I’d have lived my last life for nothing. Al seemed disheartened by the warning, but I felt excited. After seven years of peace and quiet...it really was time for things to change. Mom had barely finished straightening out my hair by the time dad barged into the room, out of breath.

“They’re arriving!”

“Already? Quick, we have to be there to greet them!”

I was still fiddling with my last button when my mother grabbed Al and I by the wrists and hauled us outside. The village wasn’t very big to begin with, so it wasn’t long before we reached the main square. Almost everyone else was already there, including Al’s grandpa. My mother let go of him so he could run to the old man sitting in his rickety old chair.

Dusk was only just approaching, but torches had long been scattered around the square to illuminate the grounds. The warm summer breeze that flickered past the flames seemed to make my hairs stand on end. Everyone was still, waiting…

...but for what?

As if to answer my question, a sudden sensation swept past my skin. It was like a prickle that expanded to a spark, electrifying all my senses.

Summoning magic!

The taste of it hung in the air as if alive. Its existence in this world was tied to Nature itself; a formless, silent force that carried a spark of vitality in its powers. Around me, the people tensed; all the adults focused their gaze in the center of the square where lights were quickly gathering like a host of fireflies. I blinked, and stared closer as a shape began to gradually materialize. Something about three times my height, with a rounded top and ends...a coach?

At the same time I recognized the shape, it came into being in lovely gold and ivory. More importantly was the elegant, glittering emblem emblazoned on its side doors: that of an armored griffin with a flaming olive branch between its beak.

The House of Griffith!

Nobility, of course, but more than that--an aristocratic family who ranked just below the king! By now, my eyebrows were nearly touching the top of my forehead. My shock was short-lived, though, as my mother pulled me down at the same time the village head spoke up.

“The Village of Rasselas welcomes Your Lordship Duke of Griffith!”

There was a smooth sound of a door opening, then footsteps descending some steps. From my angle, all I could catch was the hint of polished boots beyond the edge of my vision. I assume the duke in question had made his appearance.

“You may rise,” a voice replied, all business and no flair. “Where is he?”

My heart gave a jolt. Here it comes…

“Y-yes, Your Lordship! He’s been living in this village since he was a babe."

“Bring him to me.”

There was shuffling and some more footsteps, but otherwise the scene was deathly silent. I tried to raise my head to look but my mother pressed it down again. All I could do was strain my ears to listen.

“This is he?”

“The very one, Your Lordship.”

“Very well. From the moment you step in this carriage, you shall be claiming your birthright in this kingdom. His Majesty has waited nearly ten years for this day.”

Pretty dramatic, I mused, trying to ignore the crick in my neck. More importantly, who was he talking to? Whoever it was, he wasn’t replying.

“As the Duke of Griffith, I have come upon His Majesty’s orders to take you home. Ealdfrith Seghers, return to the capital and claim your place as the third prince of our kingdom!”

Eald...Ealdfrith?! Isn't that--

"Al?!" my head whipped up despite myself, the name flying from my lips. My eyes caught sight of my friend standing before the duke, his brows creased in confusion. He looked back and I saw his eyes lost in thought.

By his side, the tall man that was the Duke of Griffith didn't so much as look my way. His features were sharp and harsh, the dark brown sideburns on his face giving a rough edge to the aristocratic jawline as he knelt before the boy.

Al opened his mouth. I could see him forming the sound of my name, but the next second he was blocked by the figure of the duke as he stood up. When I tried to crane my neck for a better look, my mother dragged me back down.

"Saidora, don't make a scene!" she hissed under her breath, anxious enough to use my full name.

I reluctantly stayed in place, but kept my eyes stubbornly in the direction of my friend. From what I could see, he was still stunned, standing numbly in place. I tried to signal him with my eyes, but all he did was stare off into the distance without seeing anything at all. It was only when the duke moved to call his name that he reacted--but not to him.

"Sai!" his head whipped towards me, a tinge of anxiety in his gaze. "I--"

What am I supposed to do now? His stare asked, but I didn't have the answer. Instead, his sorry-looking form prompted me to rush over before my mother could grab me. If he was really getting dragged off to the royal family, then this might be my last chance to see him in a while.

A figure blocked my way before I reached him, and I looked up to see the Duke of Griffith's piercing gray eyes.

"Prince Ealdfrith, who is this?" he asked simply.

"I'm not--" Al started, before shaking his head. "She's my friend!"

I could see the duke's expression stiffen in displeasure. "His Majesty doesn't like being kept waiting."

"I'm sure His Majesty can spare a few more minutes after waiting all these years," I said briskly. There was an audible muffled exclamation behind me--probably my mother, but I set it aside to stare the duke straight in the eyes. Nobles like him were all the same. After you took off his title and status, he was no more than a middle aged man--old enough to be my uncle.

"Your Grace," I managed a passable curtsy. "I simply ask for a brief moment of His Highness's time."

His eyes flickered; I wasn't sure what he was thinking, but he cast a glance towards Al soon afterwards. "If His Highness pleases."

"Yes!" Al insisted. I was expecting more resistance, but the duke simply stepped aside to stand beside the carriage as he waited for us. Ignoring him, I ran over and took Al by the hands. It was awkward holding a conversation with the entire village here, but I managed to pull him a little ways aside until we were half shielded by the carriage horses.

"Sai, what's going on?" he asked me in a low voice.

I jabbed him lightly on the forehead. "You're uncovering your hidden past, duh!"

"My hidden...past?"

"Yeah, somehow you've stumbled on the classic Main Character as an Orphan route," I said with a huff. "Lucky you. Related to the royal family, who would've thought?"

Al cast a glance over my shoulder before he frowned. "I don't want to go with them."

Stoooopid! Do you know how many people would kill to have a chance like yours?! It's a transmigrator's dream! Of course, judging by the Duke of Griffith's unpleasant face, I wouldn't want to sit in the same carriage as him either. Al was only nine, so the village was probably all he knew.

"Al, think of it this way," I coaxed. "Your family's waiting for you. Haven't you ever wondered about your parents? Now you'll get both and siblings to boot." Didn't the king have two other sons already?

"What about grandpa?" Tremulous eyes shifted behind me to focus on the old man in his chair. "Will he come too?"

He's so old, he probably won't make it past the end of the year. That was what I thought, but I kept it to myself and squeezed Al's hands.

"We'll take care of grandpa," I reassured him. It didn't look like the old man was being brought along, if Duke Griffith's grumpy face was any indication. "He's used to it here, you know that. He can keep your house for you when you come back." Not that Al would ever return but hey, children needed white lies from time to time, right?

Al looked almost convinced, but he creased his brows again and suddenly blurted, "But what about you?"

"What about me?" I blinked, feigning ignorance. Aw cute, the kid's gonna miss me too?

"If you're the Demon King's daughter, won't the king hunt you d--"

I instantly leaned in to give him a solid headbutt, causing him to stop mid-sentence with a small wince. What Demon King's daughter? Huh?! You wanna get me killed? The castle's full of paranoid peeps that'll murder a person at the slightest hint of demonic lineage!

"That was a joke," I hissed. "A maybe. I told it to you as a story like the rest of the stuff." Not everyone gets fantastic pasts like that so easy. You've probably filled the quota for this village already!

Al looked at me for a long time. Then he slowly turned his head to look around us, taking in the still bowing villagers, the fancy carriage, and the stern form of the duke not too far away. When his eyes came back to me, they were filled with a quiet, somber light.

"This doesn't feel like a joke, Sai."

This kid. I huffed and furiously ruffled his hair--before just as furiously smoothing it out. (If he was going to the palace, he needed to look presentable, after all.) "Al, sometimes you gotta go with the flow."

"Who's Flow?"

"I mean, you gotta follow the plot--the way things are," I poked his chest to get him back on track. "Just wait a few years and things will work out, trust me." I'll get really famous and claim you as one of my groupies when I reach the capital, hah!

"A few years is a long time..." Al kept his head bowed, his one hand still clutching my other one.

"That's only if you don't do anything," I scoffed. "Keep yourself busy. Fill your head with stuff and the time will pass by before you know it."

"...stuff?" This time, Al blinked and looked at me.

"You can start with words," I suggested. "'Cause I'm always using kid words around you, so you should learn more and use big words around me! That's only fair!"

Al stared at me again, as if pondering over what I'd said. Then his little jaw tightened as he gave me a serious nod. "Okay, I will."

A premonition stole over me before I hastily patted his shoulder. "Don't just spend your time studying, though! Do what the other princes do! You have to train to fight the Demon Lords too, okay?" With his personality, he'll probably go to extremes and end up a bookworm unless I stopped him!

Al nodded to that too, before releasing my hand. It looked like he wanted to hug me, but he held himself back at the last second. "Then Sai, I'm going."

Just like that? I blinked at him. Wait, when did he take the reins in our conversation? Shouldn't I be the one to say goodbye?

"Indeed, it is time for us to depart, Your Highness." Before I could add on any parting words, a figure stepped in between us and rested a hand on Al's shoulder. Duke Griffith. I made a grimace, but the next second someone had grabbed me by the shoulders and dragged me back.

"You impulsive child!" my mother muttered by my ear even as she retreated back into the crowd. By the time I struggled free and looked back, Al was already in the carriage and the duke had shut the door. The window curtains rustled before I caught a peek of his face, searching for me amongst the people. Around the carriage, sparks appeared in the air as the summoning magic rose up again. I raised my arm and furiously waved at Al, shouting at the top of my lungs.

"Al, have a good tri--"

"The Village of Rasselas sends off Your Lordship Duke of Griffith and His Highness Prince Ealdfrith!" The village head's voice, amplified by a magical charm of his own, soon drowned out my cries.

In a flash, the carriage flickered and disappeared, leaving the faint scent of ozone in its wake. Amidst my mother's scolding, I began to mentally review my story tropes. Lost heir, royal heritage, orphan finding his family again... Al sure took up a big chunk of the story this time.

Wait a minute, isn't this only the first chapter?

Author, I demand a rewrite!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Irie, XD, Vishaakha and 12 others like this.
  3. Lonelise

Lonelise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Saidora Kikku... what a pun...

Einon, JinVodka, Reyrey and 1 other person like this.
  4. godedz017

godedz017 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. Wize

Wize [20 years ahead] [PROCRASTINATOR]

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao didn't realise until you pointed out :blobxd:

And that was amazing! I demand MOAR!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    The adventures of the sidechick: the downsides of a harem.

Einon likes this.
  7. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    She's not gonna make a reverse harem... she's gonna be part of one? lol
    hahaha funny if she has many rivals with generic tropes LOL
    [​IMG] I love it~ *approve*

Einon likes this.
  8. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    She looks just like the childhood friend from an harem master lol
    Now she has to fight the plot to get true love!
    Though she said that Al got all the quota of mc of the village, I can see the opposite since all of her hero party could be a mc, like the healer girl being an user of light magic and being sent to a noble school getting an harem, the fatty having his family murdered and threading the dark side getting an harem, the archer becoming an adventurer and discovering some cheat artifact or other fortuitous encounter and getting an harem............. seems rather probable that she is part of their harem, or should be lol

9. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    *munches popcorn* Yeah, I mean, who's to say the world's limited to one hero anyways? 'Cause there sure as heck are multiple parties making Demon Lord pilgrimages, if they've been fighting for the last 100 years.

:blobpopcorn: Man this popcorn is good. Hope the author updates soon.

but aren't you the autho----
    Shh. I was never here.

10. BlancFrost

BlancFrost ❄Middle child: Carm & Dev + Sio's FSIL ❄

Reading List:
    Link
    *leaves some corn for @Ruyi *

I liked it very much! The characters were so adorable Ruyi~

Einon, Ruyi and JinVodka like this.
  11. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    So one thing led to another and apparently I'm doing a live reading of Chapter 1 tonight while GZ does Dr. Seuss! Huh.

Feel free to join in and listen if ya wanna! We'll be on volare's Discord channel annnd...all relevant info/links/time/etc. are listed in this post: http://volarenovels.com/pgc-chapter-260/ And if the timezone's too wacky for yah, I'm pretty sure we've got recorders on hand to save the session for the future, so cheers to that! ;)

I guess that means I should write moar chapters lol

Einon likes this.
  12. Wize

Wize [20 years ahead] [PROCRASTINATOR]

Reading List:
    Link
    Eagerly awaiting more... :blobpeek::blobpopcorn::blobmelt:

13. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya, hurry up, author!

14. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropping a note to say that I'll be putting this story on backburner while I focus on translation and other projects in the meantime *cough coding a visual novel cough*

But here's an excerpt of Chapter 2 for fun, and now we have "official art" that I commissioned of the two main characters. (I don't know where Sai's leggings went in that pic but let's assume she's wearing one of those leotard tops underneath, like ballerinas).

Chapter 2: Back to the Basics (excerpt)
    The Kingdom of Vyridia, known for its lush green forests and abundant pasture land, had enjoyed peace for close to a century after the defeat of the Demon King. Aside from the regular battles with the demon lords, the people and races of the continent got along fairly well.

In fact, there used to be five separate kingdoms before they all united under human rule--mostly because it was a human swordsman that dealt the killing blow. He was the leader of his party back in the day, but teams with Magicians, Archers, or Assassins as leaders were just as common now.

Most wannabe heroes grew up in families who had been fighting the bad guys for generations. Naturally, there were plenty of hopeful upstarts each year--because all the classes used magic, which was found in plenty around the world. Everyone could use it, but it took training and latent potential to really make a user shine.

And I was determined to be one of those shinies.

"It's an investment plan, mom," I explained earnestly. "I'll earn tons more as a hero than working around on a farm."

My mother only gave me an unimpressed look before shoving a basket into my arms. "Get the eggs, dear."

"You should branch out! Don't put all your eggs in one basket!"

"You can't carry more than one basket at your age, Dora. Now go!" A hand on my back nudged me firmly in the direction of the chicken coop, to which I tottered with much reluctance.

One week had passed since Al left the village. Most of the villagers were still talking about it--asking questions, guessing answers, gossiping about stray details when they could. No end of them paid special visits to Al's grandpa to gift him things and get the juicy details of his life in Rasselas. Al's grandpa took it all in stride, mostly because he was half-deaf and nearly senile anyways, so the questions bounced off him like fire spells off a salamander. (Uh, by that I mean a lot.)

All that aside, his disappearance left me with a massive case of Mid-Childhood-Crisis. I was only seven years old, but one of the most defining moments of a real main character had literally poofed away before my eyes. Ergo, the chances of me being heir to some kingdom like Al had just plummeted to the realms of implausibility.

Why?

Duh, story balance! Who wants to read about a band of heroes who're all long lost whatchamacallits? When you have too many of the same thing, even if it's really fancy stuff, it just ends up tasting bland across the board. So no matter whether Vyridia was a game, novel, parallel dimension or real life, probability proved that my chances of being normal just inched up.

Sigh.

"Bwaaak!"

"I know, I'm balking at this too," I murmured, reaching out to smooth out the ruffled feathers of yet another hen after I snatched away her eggs. Is this what they call counting your chickens before they hatch?

[to be continued...]

Also, take this nifty world map for consideration, ah~

Map of Vyridia
    [​IMG]

Map Key:
    Light Green = small towns, villages
    Dark Green = capital/large cities
    All Caps + Green Borders = name of regions
    Trivia: Erstonia used to be bigger, but a section of it supposedly sank into the sea during the final battle with the Demon King, thus creating the Restless Gulf. Legends say that the vengeful spirits of demons and other creatures alike still lurk beneath its depths...

Credits for map base goes to FreeFantasyMaps.org

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Irie, Einon, BlancFrost and 2 others like this.
  15. Akemin

Akemin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The official art is really beautiful! :aww:
    And I like how Al looks so tired besides the energetic Saidora. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Einon likes this.
  16. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol! He's supposed to be smiling gently....but yeah, I think Sai would prolly tire him out more than anyone else. Hmm, endurance training? xD

Einon likes this.
  17. XD

XD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Such a cute story! I wish I could 5☆ this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
    Ruyi likes this.