Discussion Things you hate in stories

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Atl92, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atl92

Atl92 [God] [Devil] [Hero] [Monster]

Reading List:
    Link
    OK, so have any of you guys ever read a story really into it then BAM! all of a sudden something you despise pops up in the story and you drop it cause you can't stomach it anymore? Examples can be harem, yaoi (why i'm posting this), yuri, etc. etc.

Cause I was reading Legends of Gods. Tale of Vjaira on royalroad and didn't read the description fully (looked over see more (never again)) and BAM! YAOI! (p.s not a spoiler it's in the description)

So as you can imagine yaoi is what puts me off (i'm not homophobic). So you can imagine this story has gone into my growing list of dropped stories. :sick:*sigh*:sick:

Won't be commenting for a few hours going to play soccer later so i'm interested in your guys outlooks so go ahead and have a giant conversation.

2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You dropped the novel, so I guess you can only blame your shelf for not reading the description or tag.

Atl92 and Shance like this.
  3. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    Endless praising chapters basically saying screw me right now in public

4. lexlangel

lexlangel Shem's lost butler

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yaoi is unreadeable to me.
    I can tolerate some light bl but if the history have to much is hard to stomach
    Oh and e ven tough i enjoy wuxia and x ianxia. Like Atg issth martial god asura etc. Sometimes it got annoying that villains are so stupid to the p oint i droped a few novels. I might read T hem later but got tired

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Atl92 likes this.
  5. LordRikudo

LordRikudo 【Master of YEET】

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR.....
    That's it.

Pretender, Atl92 and Luxadia like this.
  6. Aizael

Aizael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate it when there are no cliches in novels.

How can i whine and complain if the novel is too original and fresh? :mad:

Atl92, LordRikudo and ninish like this.
  7. nazmulm

nazmulm The Lord of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    Endless praising about how smart the MC is only of them to do the dumbest thing possible in a situation

8. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats what tags are for though......

9. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    We have the same genre that we despise, but i also hate yuri. Cuz there's no penetrating actions, i also hate futanari cuz it's so disturbing seeing a p**** and a p**** in one person :confused:

Atl92 likes this.
  10. monkey magic

monkey magic Born from an egg on a mountain top

Reading List:
    Link
    fight scenes that are just random people talking about their opinion on what will happen (which is always something like "MC is strong but random stranger #1 is recognised as the strongest of his generation, MC will definitely lose." or something along those lines.)
    rape scenes.
    stories that were going along fine and then the author decides to start making explicit sex scenes because they don't realise that it's entirely unnecessary and you can convey that the MC is getting laid without going into detail on everything that happens when they do

11. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    There are a lot of times that happens. Sometimes it's a stupid decision by the MC or the direction of the show changes. I especially hate when a good novel start creating conflict among a group that was at first getting along. Like for example romance and love triangles in the cast or someone was involved in another past like he actually killed the bff or father of the other in the past under mind control. Some novels also add something stupidlike how I dropped Awakening because too much of he alien stuff.

Pretender and Atl92 like this.
  12. SirPinha

SirPinha #Vaporwave

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm already dead inside só there's nothing much that i cant read...
    Only yaoi... Not homophobic but... Cant read this shit.

blablabla12 and Atl92 like this.
  13. Johnnycabra

Johnnycabra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, that's what a homophobe is.

My pet peeve is NTR as that s$%t is real and I have seen it happen to my dad which scarred me for life. As soon as NTR occurs, I nope that s$%t in a heart beat and write a review on NU warning people about it. I also don't like novels where the author get off from punishing the MC with a bunch unnecessary drama and suffering or an MC that is extremely beta and cannot finish off a bad guy due to morale reason. especially when the villian f$%ks the MC later and the MC is like why? Also fake harems are really annoying.

Pretender, Atl92 and Razogul like this.
  14. monkey magic

monkey magic Born from an egg on a mountain top

Reading List:
    Link
    also when a story just completely changes how the characters act or the type of story it is conveying. like for example you have an action adventure that suddenly turns into a psychological thriller or something for no real reason.
    mate, not being interested in reading gay romance/erotica doesn't make people homophobes.

Pretender, Atl92 and SirPinha like this.
  15. Linley

Linley 【Linlin】【The Love Doctor】【NUF Nicknamer】

Reading List:
    Link
    Mr. Tai, because I've never seen it before

XD likes this.
  16. branislavs369

branislavs369 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are many things i don't like, mostly because they go against some of the principles that i have (i won't list them because i don't want to). But normally even then when the story is good i can read on because it isn't me but the MC or some other character in the story that does things i can't stand.

But one thing i absolutely can't stand and i drop a story faster than a 1000 celsius iron ball is when the MC and the romantic interest want to have children in the worst situations!! I just hate it!! When you have a f*cking child its YOUR f*cking responsibility to protect it!! If you don't want that responsibility then don't have sex!!!

Don't understand me wrongly i don't have a problem when they have children in normal circumstances and i can't really fault them when they get children when it wasn't planed and they used protection. BUT when you have made enemies with half the f*cking world just last weak and there are people after your head that can destroy an army with one move of the arm it really isn't time to have the desire to have children!! And every time i see it i just can't help it and get an headache. Yea there is this big evil that is trying to kill me and generally i have no f*cking idea where i stand but the women i love wants to have children so why not? WHAT COULD GO WRONG ?

And what pisses me off most about it is that even though its a really stupid decision in that situation nothing seems to happen to that child because after its born it gets the strongest plot armor there is and NOTHING can even scratch it.

It does not happen often i just saw like 2 stories that it it but believe me i dropped them without thinking.

17. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate it when they repeat the same scenario in novels

18. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When it comes to MCs:
    • Evils MCs. They're so annoying. I hate characters like Ainz from Overlord and the rest of Nazarick's pests, who constantly f*ck over other likeable characters. Some people like the feeling of power (or find the selfishness freeing / refreshing) but I like power fantasies where the MCs are good people. Even if I was godlike, I could never get pleasure from toying innocent people to death.
    • Spineless MCs, which come in two kinds: (1) Cowards... these guys are a pain because they won't do what you want them to do, and the story always has crappy developments. People who could have been saved will die, etc. I don't want to follow these sh*tty MCs around. (2) Yes-men / people who don't stick up for themselves. Enough said. Who wants to read about these MCs getting shat on 24/7 and letting people trample all over their dignity?
    • Rapey MCs (hate when the MC rapes people, no matter how the story tries to spin it)
    • Lazy MCs, because they're gimmicky and take forever to act and just drag things out.

Kna, Atl92, Razogul and 1 other person like this.
  19. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    CSG was a very big disappointment to me. It starts off okay, but then it seemed the author couldn't make up his mind on anything. The character setting kept changing and his strength, abilities and personality kept changing. His actions grew stupider and more ridiculous. Then the worst was the three words that just made me cringe - "Ding Ding Ding". Super fast attack speed and still winds up hitting the opponents sword? How about aiming somewhere other than the throat? It was so annoying that I was worried for the safety of my computer, so i dropped it. That was really long ago so I don't know if it improved or not

Atl92 and Nimroth like this.
  20. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Every time someone checks their "status". I always skip those walls of text.

fuzor100 and Atl92 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.