Discussion Things you hate in stories

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Atl92, Jul 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fan2zz

Fan2zz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Smart characters who are always right (plot armor) and no one bothers to think for themselves.
    Weak rival characters just because they are not from your country.
    Main party committing crimes against humanity for faulty logic and without ideals.
    Author writes an established system of powers to keep throwing them away for something new.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    blablabla12, Atl92 and Razogul like this.
  2. Alyuna

Alyuna Tactical Dove, Best Birb

Reading List:
    Link
    Things that put me off in reading

- Unfinished bussiness
    - Important side characters dumped by the author in the next arc
    - Genre shift
    - Average MC when the rest of the world are dumb
    - Large Info Dumping
    - Author focused too much on leveling up MC while forgetting the storyline
    - Inconsistent power system

blablabla12, Atl92 and Razogul like this.
  3. Ghost9029

Ghost9029 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR..
    Rape..
    Yaoi..
    These three things..

Pretender and Atl92 like this.
  4. pocketchu

pocketchu Omni

Reading List:
    Link
    Pervy MCs
    Bad endings
    Forgiving a**h*les

Pretender and Atl92 like this.
  5. monkey magic

monkey magic Born from an egg on a mountain top

Reading List:
    Link
    I always notice more when it's a novel where they get lots of items and they get items that are like +2 endurance +2 strength and they never ever tell you the MC's status so you have nothing to compare it to like, sure this is supposed to sound good but with no reference point it's meaningless

speaking of no reference points, I read one novel where the MC kept making lots of money but it was like 'white gold coins' or something but they never gave conversion ratios or the value of the other coins like say, '5 copper coins could buy you a weeks worth of bread' or '10 gold coins could last an ordinary family for a month/year' so the money they were making felt like it had no real value

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Atl92 and noisypixy like this.
  6. Narr-master

Narr-master Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR, mind control, memory loss, power loss, characters mentioned to be smarter than all hell only act stupid as hell, inconsistent power levels and scaling, purposefully nerfing a character just because they became too strong, excessive tragedy, weak, useless, female leads... and many, many more things.

Atl92 and Razogul like this.
  7. scribbledoutname

scribbledoutname Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like status checking! But I do know what you mean, there are some series with either HUGE statuses boxes that no one is going to read or which show way too many status boxes. It would make more sense to just summarise the important bits in the text.

Atl92, Razogul and noisypixy like this.
  8. klim770

klim770 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hate Chinese mc for being arrogant,Japanese mc for being too beta,Korean mc for being forever alone.Well BL is what I don't like.Repeated story elements in one story--something like some mysterious hidden realm with inheritance and treasures in xianxian.Don't really like otome game setting and and genius consort and etc.And NTR

Atl92, Razogul and Skuzze like this.
  9. Skuzze

Skuzze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rape, NTR, beta males and especially beta males with a harem.

Pretender, Atl92 and Razogul like this.
  10. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When author's kill off characters for no reason other than wanting the story to be more tragic (extra points off if done poorly). I was reading a story described as "good" "shoujo feel" and I had found it to be a nice read (and no tragedy tag, which should mean I should not have to worry about a tragic event from occurring). End of first volume was kinda weak, but decided to read on. Second volume introduced three new characters, and most of them were neat. In the middle of the volume, one of them is killed off by a hypocrite, while the other character is just plain incompetent (right after showing how amazing he was). The MC went on to say that she could revive (or try to) the child, but will not. And no seemed to care that this child died. I ending up reading the rest of the volume just to try and find out what the MC would do to revive the dead child, but the answer was "I refuse to" because that's what the author wanted (author literally said "I had planned for one of these characters to die, so sorry). I tried to read the third volume, but by then I did not like pretty much anything to do with the story anymore.

TLDR: Authors killing characters cause they want to make it tragic and it's done poorly.

Atl92 likes this.
  11. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Unresolved shit that resolved few hundred chapter later
    Seriously, I marathon that long just for that freaking conclusion

Atl92 likes this.
  12. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel bad for you dude, but thanks for the rec :D I'll check the story out.
    As for me, polygamy is what makes me stop reading immediately. I don't exactly hate it, I'm just not the target audience for it. Doesn't make me excited, and it's the opposite of romantic to me, so I leave it alone, lol.

Atl92 likes this.
  13. Skuzze

Skuzze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also don't think romance can happen when there is harem.

Atl92 likes this.
  14. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly Hate:
    Yaoi
    Yuri
    Mature (18+) contents, harem and other things that can be added with adultery.
    And a huge plot armor, specially authors biased way only for MC.

Not mostly, but still hate:
    Boring parts
    Too much long explanation
    Repetitive actions (mostly few sentences being copied 100X)
    Too much conspiracy
    Reincarnations with extreme level arrogance.

Atl92 likes this.
  15. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Um.... NTR,
    generic xianxia mc and villains,
    the line: i your father,
    some lines from tdg that are constantly repeated,
    er gen's size sense,
    Donald trump's use of the english language( i don't think he has the BEST words),
    some harem cliches,
    sao haters,
    etc

Atl92 and Razogul like this.
  16. Razogul

Razogul [Flag Raiser][Rald's and Carm's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR - Because...it's NTR.

Beta MC - I hate these the most. Just do it already! Dear god...you act as if someone will get pregnant for holding hands! Though this mainly occurs in JP novels.

Arrogant MC - While it's okay to be a bit arrogant, I would say not to become enemies with everyone. I mean come on! I would rather befriend young masters and have some benefits! Though if they attempt to NTR the MC...that's a different story.

Young Masters - I hate the way they're depicted. It seems like they become stupid once they meet the MC. They're described as
    "patient, well-mannered, and good" by background characters. It's like it's totally thrown out the window once they meet him/her!

Convenient Cultivation Techniques/Hidden Master/Artifacts - While I don't mind if these happen later on, I feel like they're overused in the beginning. I'd rather see a struggle to cultivate at first and not just a skip to a magical item!

Gain all memories of transmigration - Seems like a total copout for actual development of the character. I'd like to see them actually try to find out about the world themselves.

Unresolved plot problems - So much potential in plot the author can hint at but doesn't use. Kind of sad when you get hyped up about it!

First love interest wins - While I do see this happen a lot, I like to see the second or third one win. Usually authors depict the others as better choices but do the first one sadly.

fuzor100 and Atl92 like this.
  17. thrynki

thrynki Epi's Kouhai

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem/polygamy and "ruthless" MCs that never think about the consequences of wiping out an entire sect and just go on their killing rampages.

Mangochic and Atl92 like this.
  18. 1amdude

1amdude Nakamatu Agraulek

Reading List:
    Link
    Deus ex machina just kill my motivation to read more.

blablabla12 and Atl92 like this.
  19. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Complete change in how characters act. I don't mean being influenced heavily by an event, I mean

"I think you are pretty." (boy)
    "I hate you." (girl)
    >>boy gives girl candy<<
    "I hate you less now." (girl)
    "Well I am going to visit a different girl now. Kthnxbye." (boy)
    >>girl falls head over heels for the guy whose guts she hated not five minutes ago<<

fuzor100 and Atl92 like this.
  20. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't really think of a specific trope that would make me drop something immediately even if there are plenty of things I might frown at.
    What can make me give up quickly though is when the story gets ridiculously inconsistent, for example an author forgetting that such a thing as guards exist in a story set in a royal palace(I did drop one story for exactly this specific reason...).
    I can somewhat accept lack of planning in a story even if I don't want to, but lack of even basic common sense is just stupid.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Atl92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.