Request To learn English thoroughly

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pretender, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Pretender

Pretender <{Vanquisher}> {(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻}

Reading List:
    Link
    Lately I've noticed the necessity I have to learn my mother language (not English, Portuguese) in a more thoroughly way, and that sparked my old desire to learn Japanese (recently Chinese too, lol). But unfortunately I've come to understand that there's not that much "material" (don't know if it's the right word, perhaps "tools", or "means"?) for me to use in my own language (in the internet and for free) to learn Japanese/Chinese.

What did I thought? "Well, let me learn it through English, it's a more used language and of course there's more material available". But well, all the English I know is self-learned while listening to music, playing games (gimme money pls), watching movies and reading fanfics translating in google paragraph by paragraph (that was nearly 10years ago, lol, Inuyasha fanfics ftw), and it's not enough for me to learn complex things smoothly through it. So I wanted to ask, is there some good books, for free, that you know of in the internet for me to learn English? Or a YouTube channel that teaches in a more detailed way (like a playlist, from beginning to end of all English or something like this)?

TL;dr: So I wanted to ask, is there some good books, for free, that you know of in the internet for me to learn English (all of it)? Or a YouTube channel that teaches in a more detailed way (like a playlist, from beginning to end of all English or something like this)? Thanks in advance. (I will probably come back here to ask for Japanese/Chinese material some time in the future, hehe :p)

2. Amble Dream

Amble Dream A Dream that Lost Its Identity

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read, and read, you'll naturally improve your English skill

akimisa, Pretender and otaku31 like this.
  3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Beware of MTL

But hey, don't make that stop you from reading greatness like Invisible Dragon

Material for English study should be available in YT. Not that I know any:blobReach:

Your English is already decent. Just keep reading and speaking in English too.

4. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    You already seem to be at a good level from what I just read.

Pretender likes this.
  5. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    AMissingLinguist and Pretender like this.
  6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Just an fyi, English and Portuguese are group 1 languages. Chinese and Japanese are group 4.

Which means it would be easier to learn English + Portuguese + Norwegian + Romanian (combined) then it would be to learn Chinese or Japanese (either).

So make sure you have the resolve.

7. Limetrix

Limetrix Follower of the dao of laziness

Reading List:
    Link
    Read published authors and practice grammar. There is this really good grammar book wren and martin buy it and solve the exercises. It gives a very good grounding in grammar.

Pretender likes this.
  8. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    The best method I can think of is simple in concept. Find some friends online that you can voice chat with in the language you want to learn. Depending on your level of competency in the language you might need people that know yours. But if you reach a level where you can ask what something means, its best if they don't actually know youts imo

Pretender likes this.
  9. Basara

Basara [Cat and co.] [Nyan] [Furry and Fluffy]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuck your English is better than the people born learning English. And you want to improve it more! You're making us look bad.

10. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Learning to speak Japanese isn't too bad. The grammar rules, while numerous, are fairly well-defined. On the other hand, learning to write is impossible. Also, keep in mind Chinese and Japanese are ranked as the hardest foreign languages for native English speakers to learn. Just keep practicing. By the end of high school, I became as fluent as a couple native Japanese speakers simply by muttering to myself Japanese conjugation of random words that came up in conversation. I even accidentally took (and aced) native speaker tests.

tl;dr just practice, practice, practice; from the basics on up.

Pretender likes this.
  11. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    I think u could learn from TOEFL or IELTS study materials..

Pretender and juniorjawz like this.
  12. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    Your English is better than 75% of the people on this site. Honestly, just reading books is the best way to improve your vocabulary. Try reading real English books and not translations.

akimisa and Pretender like this.
  13. NiQuinn

NiQuinn 『Optimistic Pragmatist』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to learn through reading, don't do so here. Find the legit published books in English. Not that I'm saying NU novels are not reliable. It's just that, the translation quality isn't very consistent. If you want to learn proper grammar, that's really no way to go. As for conversational English, it would help if you interacted constantly with native English speakers. I'm sorry I can't really recommend a book at the moment. Just in case, what genres are you usually interested in?

Pretender likes this.
  14. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    you need to memorize vocab you can find and find those novels where the grammar failed and compare it with grammarly?

Pretender likes this.
  15. raltzero

raltzero Last Year Until BS in IT | Lazy Overlord TL

Reading List:
    Link
    If you just want to learn Chinese to translate, just remember some grammar rules and you'll basically be able to translate it with a dictionary.

Pretender likes this.
  16. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Pretender

strunk and white: the elements of style

and a dictionary. write down the words you don't know, as well as the definition- you'll remember better because you're using different parts of your brain.

Pretender likes this.
  17. Dont_Don

Dont_Don Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you haven't yet, start reading a song of fire and ice or better yet start watching game of thrones. I'm sure this will spruce up your vocabulary quite a bit. Just don't go around screaming bastard to everyone you meet and you should live long enough to master English in no time.

18. Pretender

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like it's a long way to go, lol, didn't know languages are classified by difficult I hope I can learn it decently perhaps until the end of my graduation (3 years from now) :p.
    Thanks, gonna look.
    Any recommendation? Fantasy books, romance or things like Ágata Christie (criminal,investigative? Don't know the genre.)

Fantasy, Romance, perhaps terror and criminal investigation (don't know the right word for the genre, hehe).

19. INUHim-SAMA

INUHim-SAMA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well as my old spanish teacher would say, "Watch movies!". I found out that learning a language progressed much faster once I started watching movies in that language. Not only does it keep you entertained, you will also learn to love the language because of the movie! (Of course, this is just me speaking from personal experience from when I was learning english, spanish, and several other languages due to various reasons ^^. Sadly I could never fully learn japanese, korean, nor Chinese because every time I attempted to the courses would conveniently not be available:facepalm:)

Pretender likes this.
  20. Pretender

Reading List:
    Link
    It's true, I've noticed I'm used to listen to Japanese cause of animes and know a few words, but when I listen to Chinese I can't even differentiate the words .