Chinese Top Grade Retainer

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by Razorace, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Razorace

Razorace Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: Top Grade Retainer - 极品家丁 - Jípǐn jiādīng
    Raws: http://www.qidian.com/Book/105199.aspx

Why it should be picked up:
    This is coming from someone who personally finished the series (web novel, there is a paperback published version which has essentially the same content).

While said work is permeated with an ambient amount of humor, which initially you may even think of as the focus, the author portrays a wide variety of (mainly) female characters, and though not all of the scenes were of the same standard, the romance was portrayed very well, especially in certain arcs, and each person is bound to find their own favorite (girl?); which I feel is the novel's main focus.

Furthermore it contains explicit content which is not overly cheesy, while there are moments which are somewhat unrealistic at certain points - but it's apparent that the author simply disregarded the issue for overall enjoyment. Far more importantly, the emotion/interaction between characters portrayed were reasonably realistic and relatively sensible.

Since essentially all explicit content in Chinese WN released through major sources online has been banned since July of last year(2015), this is one of the rare gems done well I believe. While not heavily focused on it, just enough to keep things interesting. There is a lot of drama, some interesting while not over-bearing amount of history, just your usual time-slip innovations and well thought out politics/political drama. Main focus is on MC collecting his harem and the selling point is the "fall-in-love process" (and goes through a lot of hardships etc).

The series was popular enough to both get a manhua adaptation and TV drama (currently in production).

Description: Taken directly from the author -
    The young sales manager, due to an unexpected experience, ends up in a completely different world, becomes a proud member of Xiao family's -- retainer! (some connotations of laborer/caretaker/servant).

<Insert some poem about Sakure Trees/spring>
    (Original text:
    暮晓春来迟
    先于百花知
    岁岁种桃树
    开在断肠时)
    [I don't even want to attempt to translate it, as it would simply lose all the aesthetic form which makes it charming]

Sakura Poem, belongs to Third Elder Bro! [nickname for MC, San as "三" for third, Elder Bro being a familiar and casual way to address someone in this case].

__________________________________________________________________________________________

One final push for this series, I can say without a doubt that around chapters 600-800 is one of the best arcs I've ever read in a time-slip novel. Genuinely wish to share, if only those 200 odd chapters, with everyone. There are quite a substantial amount of historical literature/references and poems which may pose some difficulty to translators, and I doubt even if translated, the hidden nuances would be retained by the readers. However, despite all that I still believe this work to be of utmost value in that it's one of the best works for it's genre (objectively speaking). I simply can't stress enough how well this was written, the amount of interesting ideas and the plot for each girl is astoundingly charming, while some genuinely comedic moments will have you laughing on the ground, other melodramatic moments will pull at your heart strings and invoke uncontrollable amount of sweat being dispelled through your eyes.

Perspective translators can either pick up the project themselves or if interested, contact me for a joint project. Though I can't guarantee fast releases I can assure the quality. I just can't bring myself to solo this right now, even though it's probably one of the works I recommend the most.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
    SnowTime, dustmite, hejzero and 8 others like this.
  2. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't help, but I do think that this is a great example of what a request should be like. Informative, well written, and doesn't sound desperate.

3. Winged Basilisk

Winged Basilisk [Lord of Lurkers]

Reading List:
    Link
    good luck on getting some help or finding someone to pick it up. Story sounds very good and hopefully this one has great character development and doesn't forget the development from the pervious arc into the next one. Already read enough of those lol.

4. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    While each person does get their share of the limelight, the author certainly doesn't forget to comeback to them and all in all it melds together quite well. Though as someone who read it, I don't think it was much of an issue but at parts there are characters who simply do not get mentioned for 1-2 arcs, purely due to how intense the story progression is at that point, that it would feel awkward simply to mention unrelated characters or force their participation.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  5. maskedcerf

maskedcerf DCLXVI

Reading List:
    Link
    true ^^

6. casual38

casual38 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    暮晓春来迟
    先于百花知
    岁岁种桃树
    开在断肠时

"Late are dusk and dawn in springtime,
    The flowers are the first to know.
    Years and years the sakura tree grew,
    Blossoming when one's heart is broken."

Such a cute poem, even if my translation is pretty bad.
    I'll read this (lying sick in bed right now), but can't say whether or not I'll be picking this up. My plate is a bit full at the moment…

Update: Pretty sure I'm not picking this up. It's beyond my abilities at the current moment.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    Razorace likes this.
  7. Scrya

Scrya Lurking all day long~

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    Lies, I did no such thing [​IMG]

9. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Bump.

No, really. It seems interesting... just a bit.

10. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the difference here is, I actually know what people are getting into if this gets translated, and I can gaurantee that it is a far better read than most others of it's genre.

For the majority of the works being recommended here or getting translated, people are only aware of the beginning (which is usually always intriguing and draws in a lot of readers), but sometimes falls off or has unsatisfying endings etc. Also, not that it's a bad thing but a lot of translators themselves read as they translate so it's hard to say that the series might suddenly take a turn for the worse midway through etc.

11. Hien

Hien Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    interesting. so the story plot is ancient china? i am hoping someone will pick up this one because seems good to try
    if it's chinese i think it's better be cherry blossom right?

12. Razorace

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's heavily focused on romance though, and some historical events rewritten with the MC in mind... the setting is elegant and highly detailed. Usually I hate reading history, background etc but the way it's presented is very engaging and I didn't feel bored for a moment.

He doesn't go too overboard with modern day knowledge (making trains and whatnot), so there is that... he does however use his business skills from the future to a certain extent.

13. casual38

casual38 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Was just trying (and failing) to sound poetic.

14. Hien

Hien Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, it's better trying but failing than not trying at all.

15. Lickymee

Lickymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why don't YOU do it lol

16. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link

17. Lickymee

Lickymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nahh, i know Razorace. Im just messing with him.

18. negritis

negritis The Mathematician

Reading List:
    Link
  19. CloudySkySadMoon

CloudySkySadMoon Bald and Beautiful

Reading List:
    Link
    *noted* Gotta learn for future.

20. sinyueliang

sinyueliang 『World Traveller』『Demon Slayer』『Hinokami』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm interested~ Let me read about this Chinese maid. Or butler. XD *goes to read the teaser*