Transmigration novels' characters....how?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Whitebubbly, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, right? It's like a modern Englishman gets transfered into old London when they threw their own poop on the streets. It's like how the heck can you live after that? Even the language is different. How would you even communicate?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    Nimroth and Junky like this.
  2. Fairy-chan

Fairy-chan 『Appreciates Cuteness』

Reading List:
    Link
    If the person gains the memories of the other they transmigrated into, they'll probably have an easier time into adapting, but I do believe it would still be hard to go through it, as having the memories and living through it are completely different processes.

It is probably an oversight by the author to not mention the problems in adapting to the new environment, it could be used to make an interesting development IMO.

3. promet

promet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason is simple - most of the readers (and authors) are more interested in (usually bullied/underdog) MC beating the crap out of villains and face-slapping rather than him having trouble coz there's no toilet paper or bcoz the latrine stinks so much MC is about to pass out. As somebody said in some other thread recently, CH novels are "junk food", and (mostly) not high-quality novels. Wrong address, friend.

Well, personally I share your sentiments, but what can we do. If an author were to write five chapters about MC trying to figure out ancient bathrooms, do you think his/her publisher would enjoy that? Though it's true it wouldn't kill the authors to at least spare several paragraphs for such details. IMO, it'd be better than repeating stuff that they often do for the sake of word count. Well, I'm not sure if I'd like to read the novel that begins with musings on how to use an ancient latrine, tho. Can't exactly call it a "fresh" idea ;)

4. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah uh alchemy - check. Magic - check. Super advanced AI thingy fused into the soul - check. Yup preeeeeeety realistic.

5. promet

promet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the other person meant it being logical xD As in, without major loopholes or attentive to most details.

I have read it too long ago to comment on that, though.

6. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Important question, is that before or after the invention of toilet paper. Author's don't mention it but this important point can drastically change our perception of our mc especially when he next eat a mantou.

7. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the water option always exist....

8. skyleven7

skyleven7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you seem to have misunderstood what i was referring to MC not going all over the world killing millions of people just because they hurt the pride of MC by saying you trash. MC being realistic is he trying to survive and weighing pros and cons of each of the steps he takes. Of course its a fantasy so you cant expect it not having unrealistic aspects added to it, that's why i said its kinda realistic meaning the attitude of MC towards the new world and not the new world being realistic.

9. Exterial

Reading List:
    Link
    They get the memories of the person they transmigrated to like 99% of the time.
    So with these memories its like they lived their themselves for all these years.
    The real question is how do they not go insane or get a split personality from that? Or even doubt their existance? Those are the real questions we should ask.

10. promet

promet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True that. They are always like, oh, I got his memory, that's cool, now let's carry on...
    Guess its just a convenient plot device, and its so common the authors stopped thinking whether there are any issues as far as being logical is concerned...

11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Transmigrated, not reincarnated or body possessions. Transmigration involves a person being sent to another world as is, whether with their own bodies or their bodies are recreated at the new world. You're thinking body possession.

12. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The real question is why the author bother with transmigration/reincarnation/possession in those cases, since the thing that is meant to relate to the reader(modern mc) is usually thrown out of the window instantly when the mc get the hosts memories.

Ai chan likes this.
  13. promet

promet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's so that readers can identify themselves/empathize with the MC. After all, xianxia etc can be said to be a power trip version of wish fulfillment novel, so the fact that MC comes from Earth provides some kind of a common point (or rather starting point) for readers to do so. As for the rest, its more focused on wish fulfillment part. This way, its at least a bit easier to empathize with such an MC compared to those native to the other world MCs.

14. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand the idea behind it, but the problem is that if they adapt instantly to the new world and almost never even mention their old life then that whole connection is practically gone, in many cases it is easy even to forget that the mc was from earth or modern times.
    Sure the transmigration "might" cause some readers to check out the story, but I really doubt it is the transmigration that keep people reading these stories if it isn't kept as an important part of the story, there is plenty of popular stories with a native mc as evidence for this.

15. promet

promet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never said it was reasonable or that I agreed with their attitude :p

I'm just trying to explain what I think is the reason why they're doing so. I agree with you and, personally, I forgot that Martial Space's (or sth) MC was from Earth for quite some time (I suddenly recalled it in some random moment not long ago)... similarly, was Ancient Strengthening Technique's MC also from Earth? I'm not even sure (I think he was, but...) and so on... Well, IMHO, it's just lazy writing as always. Not bothering to tackle and solve difficult problems and not bothering to remember key parts of the setting, causing them to fade away to the background or even oblivion...

Nimroth likes this.
  16. KTL

KTL Down horrendous

Reading List:
    Link
    FOR PLOT CONVENIENCES! Like how Japanese MCs from Light/Web novels are indifferent to being summoned to their Isekai~

17. Exterial

Reading List:
    Link
    It appeals to most teenagers, the thought of some guy from earth being brought into a fantasy world. Doesnt matter if it just there in the first chapter and then gets forgotten for the rest of the story. It especially appeals to people under depression, When they read the story they try to imagine themselves as the mc. Makes them feel a bit happier. Authors noticed the huge value this had in bringing in more readers so preety much everyone writing a fantasy story decided to make the mc be some random no one that took over a body, or in jp novels got transported to a different world and become a hero.

18. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand how it can draw in readers to "try" a story, but I don't buy the arguement that it plays any role at all in keeping them invested if it is there just for the first chapter.

19. promet

promet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe some of the less careful readers will keep it in mind (even if unconsciously) and keep on reading?
    Not to mention, there are thousands (I think) of CN webnovels. Don't you think it's already a success to draw more readers? As for keeping them interested, well, I think each author has confidence in their story and writing skills to keep them reading, no? Imagine that some guy doesn't know what to read next, and the part about the MC being from Earth catches his attention. All that's left is to keep on writing decently so he stays there and keeps on reading.

Personally I agree with you though as I am one of the more demanding readers...

Nimroth likes this.
  20. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue I have with is that as I see it the authors are practically setting up the risk of creating a lot more plotholes from the very start by doing it, for something that is just there to bait readers at the beginning, they are risking turning the story worse in the long run in return for some more readers early on.
    I guess it if the author gets a few extra readers by doing so it is good for him/her financially, but the number of readers is a separate matter from good writing.
    Then again I'm biased as I have an easier time relating to a character that is native to whatever fictional world it is.
    Strangely enough though in some cases the transmigrated mc isn't even from earth or at least from an alternate earth so that just makes the arguement of the readers relating to a transmigrated mc even stranger.

promet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.