Picked Up "War of the Supreme Mysteries" (太玄战记)

Discussion in 'Novel Pickup Request' started by Arua, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    Name: War of the Supreme Mysteries (previous translator's title) - Tai Xuan Zhan Ji (太玄战记)
    Raw Link: http://www.17k.com/book/1254969.html
    Why It Should Get Picked Up: 37 chapters released by previous translator, last release 11/01/15 but translator's website has been down since then. Although the 3 months threshold wasn't reached yet, there is no news from his part and the website is still down: no announcement and no explanations while he keeps releasing regular work on his other website (for mangas). Consequently, I assume it's safe to say he isn't planning to resume translating novels. Correct me if I'm wrong though, if so I shall remake this post in two month's time.
    Description (from previous translator - except the MC's name):

Wu Dong Fang, part of the Cheetah Troops, a special military force, was transported back in time to Ancient China while on a special mission. There, he starts his lonely journey of cultivation.

------------------------------

I feel like this novel had some potential for a xanxia. I couldn't read enough of it yet, but I still think that the premises were rather interesting. It's your usual modern world guy who ends up in a xanxia universe. However, Instead of a MC ending up in another world, he went back in the past, in a period of time when humans could cultivate.
    Although he's pushy (I'm especially refering to an even concerning his possible love interest), the MC seems rather smart. The MC also seems rather decisive when he needs to kill but, for all that, he isn't ruthless to the point of killing on a whim.
    The cultivation system linked to the five elements wasn't that new but original enough from my point of view.
    The story itself got me hooked though the MC didn't start cultivating right away. At least I was hyped during the 30 or so chapters I could read before the previous translator's website shut down.

Raws have 220+ chapters so far and still ongoing I think - but better check that yourself.
    If any translator picks this up though, retranslating from the first chapter is a very, very, very good idea (the previous translator's website has been down since the beginning of November anyway)
    Also, if you pick this up, please, don't "westernize" the Chinese names like the previous translator did! The setting of the story is Ancient China ffs!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It dropped.

3. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you mean author dropped it (unlikely but correct me if I'm wrong)? Or do you mean translator dropped it?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  4. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    The translator said himself he was dropping when he released the last batch of chapters

5. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    I see, thanks. I guess that's the batch I actually missed before the website went offline.
    Good news: this post of mine wasn't useless after all!

6. after2nd

after2nd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where can i read the first chapter?
    I'm curious about this story!

7. slaughter god

slaughter god overlord of all evil

Reading List:
    Link
    this novel had potential it was really slow in the beginning and then it got dropped when he was about to start cultivating

8. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    It was slow but in fact, I didn't find it boring. That's why I'm keen to see how it develops later on...

Sorry, I tried to search but since the previous translator's website is down, I don't see any way to salvage his previous work.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  9. after2nd

after2nd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmp, ok.. thanks Arua.
    Only can wait that website fixed or another translator to pick up this story.

10. Arua

Arua Umu...~

Reading List:
    Link
    *Casts a resurrection spell*

Just reminding people if any translator is interested in picking this up. Picking it up as a side project might even be good enough. 220+ ongoing chapters, it doesn't need fast-paced translation at all.
    Moreover, it shouldn't take too much time to catch up to if you need to read the released chapters first and check if it's worth a go! :)

11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i second this motion

Simon and Arua like this.
  12. cia92f

cia92f Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still hoping someone picks this up, it's a great series

13. nyotie