Was the creation of Novelupdates a good thing?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Parth37955, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We help people keep track of novels and find new novels, which is beneficial to smaller sites. However bigger sites that were already well-known sites might be getting deprived of page views cause no-more F5 sect (well, those guys are still around but less of them). Plus because of our ever increasing influence, the power of NU can easily by used to harm other translators. ex. a random mtl'er could start posting chapters ahead of the actual translator, and cause we have a neutrality policy (a rather important one), unlike reddit where they can be downvoted to oblivion, we don't remove those. Suddenly random people can deprive the actual translator of views. We don't play a role is fights between translators, groups, etc. Our voting system is pretty shitty now that I think about it (the low ratings for stupid reason like NTR could turn off translators)

We stay neutral but at the same time, we want to support the community. However is our support beneficial or detrimental? I just wanted to know the thoughts of other people.

Edit: also our rss feed helps out thieving aggregators >_< I'm not a tech guy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a good thing that Novelupdates was created. With its functions and all, users can easily keep tracking of the novels that they are reading instead of using bookmark(like me prior to discovering Novelupdates).

But of course, there will always be an issue of misuse, there will always be a rotten apple in a basket, all we can do is to remove it manually.

Plagiarism of translations is something that the translators have to deal with their own selves or with readers who actually care about the translations. Novelupdates shouldn't be blamed for such things because it is aimed for something good instead of bad.

Edit: I only get 5 nuffies for this? >_<

3. Serendipity

Serendipity No one, nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    Translation is just like a market; if you get outdone by the competition, you lose. There is no right or wrong, it's just the way life works.

NU just serves to aggregate the source of translations, which is useful for the end users; who cares how it affects the translators, they're the ones who need to adapt if they want our views (and thus reap ad revenue off us.)

4. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    NU was the solution to a problem that came up from the emergence of CN's and more little guys with wordpress accounts.

it gave them needed traffic.
    so while i won't write a big essay the answer is yes

5. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    Without it i wouldn't know about many novels, and at the same time i would have forgot about many xD

6. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    is this a fishing post? fishing for compliments? importance?

i'll bite- most would agree nu is a big help to readers.

but tsk on the thread.

dryzzle, Westeller, Risus and 3 others like this.
  7. braiam

braiam Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > well-known sites might be getting deprived of page views cause no-more F5 sect

You know that refreshing the page has a cost for the translator, in CPU and bandwidth? Page views for the sake of "page views" isn't the goal. Actually, NU is absorbing these costs and since it's in theory more efficient, it results in a net win for all the community.

8. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    being a humble leech this place has made life for me a simpler and that is never a bad thing in my book~

Westeller, ElTorroLoco and zikirewq like this.
  9. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    F5 sect gives false information to the translators and puts extra burden on the sites. It translates (heh) to more costs due to needing a higher bandwidth and a belief that they get fewer donations per reader than they actually do.

So yeah, it's not really a bad thing, and it helps more people find the various translations. Even the bigger sites get good advertisement from this kind of site.

Westeller, ElTorroLoco and zikirewq like this.
  10. Starving Soldier

Starving Soldier Retired Captain, Marrying Overlyfriendly

Reading List:
    Link
    With the creation of novelupdate, i'm able to find and read new novels much easier than before however PARTH ARE YOU QUESTIONING YOUR EXISTENCE? DON'T BE SUICIDAL

11. zikirewq

zikirewq [Bad Guy]

Reading List:
    Link
    The majority of people get benefit from NU and NUF including me, so don't mind small problem if it become big then it was the function of community To help each other

Westeller likes this.
  12. Mithun

Mithun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As you have said NU is helpful to readers. I believe this thread was created due to kuma bear fail translation. That person was only trying to push martial world translators to release more chapters instead of slacking off.
    But original translators should be protected if imposters release their own translation and put the translator's hard work down the drain.

Westeller likes this.
  13. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Well NU has been a big help so my answer is yes. But as for being neutral... i think that at times NU should be neutral and at times NU shouldn't be (an example being the recent MTL translation of Martial World) I get that being neutral helps to avoid conflicts but since as you said NU has influence then we should use it, no?

Westeller likes this.
  14. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I just find NU useful, whether it's good or bad is subjective.
    In my opinion, while being neutral, there could still be a set of rules that prevent certain things from happening.

Edit:
    It's just that I believe that this 'neutrality' might have a bad effect on hard working translators and in case of 'poaching', helps those people quite a bit.

mrttao and Westeller like this.
  15. qzty

qzty From normal-fag to F5-er Jack of Spades

Reading List:
    Link
    Before NU, It was not that easy to find novels. Now it is not. Simple as that, this place has helped strengthen the community. As for the point of problem pointed out, that kind of stuff happened before too, hell that kind of stuff happens in every market. It might be happening more because of the existence of NU or it could be that we are noticing it more as there is a place where it easy to see it happening.

Finding fault in NU for that is like blaming Google for helping making bombs, by providing link to how to videos and websites about bombs.

16. Evertime

Evertime Dungeonmaster Daoist

Reading List:
    Link
    What is important to note that while it may have problems, novel updates is a healthy service.
    Unlike something like manga/here/fox you aren't ripping the translations from the sides of the translators.
    Small problems are small problems but those issues take time and brainpower to sort out and will be fixed the longer the site exists. Hopefully.

Westeller likes this.
  17. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, it's a good thing. It was created at the best moment, the timing was perfect for me. In my opinion, i think many novels won't be translated currently if Novelupdates don't exist.

Westeller likes this.
  18. heads-or-tails

heads-or-tails Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MY GRADES AY IT ISNT A GOOD THING
    but my heart says fuck them
    give me novels

Westeller likes this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    for convenience sake that what lazy bum like me seek the most~ NU is really good thing! 56023.png this is where what I called casual reader can gather~ for those who really concern about novel translation world please go to reddit~ truly they more serious~
    I support NU stay neutral! 56023.png heck there more silent reader than those called fans who blabbering when thing like OP mentioned (include me)~ they not really care about what the heck happen on translation circle as long as they can read!(sometime so do I)
    as long as the one who link a chapter not violates rule I say it's fine!
    let reader decide which one they want to follow~

20. CrispyNoodle

CrispyNoodle 『Noodle Overlo*d』『Open Pervert』『Onii-chan』

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol... this like asking "if it's ok to create google where ALL the websites in the world aggregate into one giant pot" o_O.... without NU, more than 90% of the stuff I read today, i would never have known existed...

Poor_Hero, Westeller, missing and 2 others like this.