Was the creation of Novelupdates a good thing?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Parth37955, Dec 12, 2016.

1. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    "Our voting system is pretty shitty now that I think about it (the low ratings for stupid reason like NTR could turn off translators)"

Parth *--*

Westeller and Risus like this.
  2. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    to the translators community, sure is a good thing, even though there will be problems like the one that happened a few days ago, the number of new translators benefiting of it is greater. No matter what it is, there aways will be ppl trying to get one above the others.

however to the readers, NU has given easy access to most translation out there, its quite convenient to keep track and find a novel suited to one tastes, and because of all that it is bad, really bad, I really serious about it... ppl with little selfcontrol like me, will stay on most of the day waiting for some novels releases and will not care/forget about RL.

Westeller likes this.
  3. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    NU or something similar was always going to be necessary to expand the community. As far as mtls out-competing tlr's, the onus falls on the reader, not the translator, to judge what they want to read and who they want to support.
    While the existence of NU and similar sites might hurt the bottom line of large tl sites like WW, you could also argue that the ease and simplicity of NU draws in more people and increases the amount going to WW in the first place.

Westeller likes this.
  4. pandicorn

pandicorn ® Ruler of Gay Pandas ®

Reading List:
    Link
    Since everybody has already given constructive comments, i'll be that guy that you hate PARTH.

NU Good. NO NU baddd. Bananas.

Westeller, Lokumi and k1nk4 like this.
  5. slaughter god

slaughter god overlord of all evil

Reading List:
    Link
    This site is horrible. It has led me to overdose on reading many times.

Westeller likes this.
  6. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    YES! A big resounding yes! NU and NUF changed my life. I was able to find some place to answer my boredom and need for reading materials.

Westeller likes this.
  7. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    Srsly? Is this even worth asking?

Westeller likes this.
  8. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
  9. eidnas nes

eidnas nes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... well i don't know deep and behind the scenes politics.... but NU helped me a lot ...saved me a lot of my time ..... so for me who says other wise can go f*** themselves.....

Westeller likes this.
  10. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    obviously, since I am asking.

Qianweijia and AliceShiki like this.
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    he confuse and conflicted~
    19642.png

12. HapUgMata

HapUgMata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm...you can't expect a perfect system...

in my personal opinion, NU is really a big help...it help me to find novels to read, indexes the novels, and i can check new updates of the novels i read...all in one place...it's convenient for users...

i know the ones that are reading novels for not less than a year has at least 100 novels in their reading list...now imagine yourself finding out if there is an update of the novel you're reading without NU...you need to go through the sites of those 100 novels...

that's how convenient NU for me is...

Westeller likes this.
  13. Midori

Midori Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well, it's a good thing! honestly, there is a good and bad to everything! bit novelupdates has really helped me out a lot, so regardless of all the bad things, the good is still there!
    just to be super serious and because i have time, allow me to address each of the 'bad' things about novelupdates you've said.

'bigger sites that were already well-known sites might be getting deprived of page views cause no-more F5 sect (well, those guys are still around but less of them).'
    they might be deprived of page views, but think about how many more people would have discovered them through novelupdates(like me). i mean, without a place where we can find related stories like novelupdates, finding related sites gets so much harder.

'the power of NU can easily by used to harm other translators. ex. a random mtl'er could start posting chapters ahead of the actual translator, and cause we have a neutrality policy (a rather important one). Suddenly random people can deprive the actual translator of views.'
    People will still go for translations, and hey, there will be people who post chapters ahead of other translators, whether novelupdates exist or not. And in truth, having a record of there already being translations, I feel, actually helps reduce MTL-ers doing series' that are already being translated, because they wouod then go for untranslated series.

'Our voting system is pretty shitty now that I think about it (the low ratings for stupid reason like NTR could turn off translators)'
    Well...voting system is a technical thing, so it could be improved on. However, I mean, people will check things themselves...?

'also our rss feed helps out thieving aggregators'
    honestly, there will always be thieving aggregators. this is a matter of personal character and respect, which aggregators obviously have none of, lol. novelupdates 'helping' them...well, if they insist on stealing, whether there is or isn't novelupdates, like i said, they'll still do it, unfortunately.

Always focus on the positive! Novelupdates has helped to spread translations for a lot of people, so the good it has done is quite a bit, no doubt! And I'm sincerely happy that it exists, muahaha!

missing, Westeller and AliceShiki like this.
  14. ElTorroLoco

ElTorroLoco [Christmas spiritbun][Left Hand of Sordahon]

Reading List:
    Link
    No meatbun federation without nuf so ofcourse I like it. #MeatbunFederation

Westeller likes this.
  15. monkey magic

monkey magic Born from an egg on a mountain top

Reading List:
    Link
    Your grades keep telling you no, but your body, your body is telling you yes?

16. Palm Reader

Palm Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    even hollywooh product became -MEH in da face of internet fearless troll,. NU....?? just enjoy the show

17. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    its beneficial. but make the rule for the translator that was posting here. about the voting system, just turn it off, if its not beneficial for the translator. people will read what they want to read, so be chill about it.

Westeller likes this.
  18. monkey magic

monkey magic Born from an egg on a mountain top

Reading List:
    Link
    Advertisers dont always pay for all the page views if people f5 too much they think it is a script so I is possible that nu is actually saving bandwidth without costing as much as you thinj

Westeller likes this.
  19. Twilight Fox

Twilight Fox 【Foxy】【Ayayayay!】

Reading List:
    Link
    HOW DARE YOU! Novel updates is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. You...Ya know what. I have a better Idea. HEY ALL YOU VIRGINS OVER IN THE COMMUNITY CREATION SECTION! I need you to write a little short story with Tony(hes the creator of NUF right?) and cross his life over with the great chrismas story "Its a wonderful Life". In fact lets make it a contest.

Westeller likes this.
  20. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    Look, novel updates is a need, that when it did not exist had a market gap. Now that it is here,

For translators,
    1. More viewers/readers, since it's easier filtering potential series to read, checking from reviews to update schedule.
    2. A heavenly gift for servers, which couldn't handle the f5 sect. I still remember the translator posts requesting the sect the back down.
    3. Easier to see the issues from readers perspective.
    4. Check the rankings of their novels and how their projects are being received.
    5. A community for translators, to discuss, recruit and a lot more purposes.
    6. Creating a social popular life for translators, where invisible ethics guide them.
    7. Much easier to see, new projects to take, or requests from readers.
    8. A news site for readers and translators, telling how one project is free to take, describing problems and solving them.
    As for us Readers,

Objectively speaking we are biased, as we should be. Likes and dislikes, all we can do is respect them and not argue for their reason.

From the reading list, to just one website to f5, a lot easier to check out new series and get in touch with the translators. I mean...

Yes there is always unfairness, and negatives. But if your throat is sore, you don't cut it. But you take it slow, take medication and slowly improve your health.

Westeller, asriu and AliceShiki like this.