What Classifies as a "Translation" that can be posted on NU (Bad MTLs)

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Occulus, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Occulus

Occulus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I've been seeing an uptick in "translation" updates that have been posted on NU which are just bare bones machine translations. Yes, I do agree with the fact that sometimes, machine translations can be done very well. However, in these cases, it seems like the text was pulled directly from a machine translator with a little/no editing.

For example:
    Or
    I don't mind as long as the translations are decently understandable, but some of these translations are barely better than raw machine translations. Hence my question: What is the minimum cutoff before a translation updates can be displayed on NU? I apologize if this question has been asked before; a quick forum search has not shown any results.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Jaspaaar, zentetsuken, NoTofu and 3 others like this.
  2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    to my knowedge there is no cutoff, with probably only exception being lnmtl
    But whenever something like that appears the novel get the tag "bad translation" or "bad MTL".

3. Occulus

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that some of these novels had great translations before, but were picked up by really bad MTL groups after the first group dropped it. So in that case, do they actually deserve the bad translation tag?

Wujigege and Jarrow like this.
  4. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like it's just common courtesy.

5. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no quality control, only public opinion

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Dusk

Dusk Monochrome

Reading List:
    Link
    Well there's no cut off here on NU.

Why?

Because if a cut off is implemented, those guys will get salty about it. I mean everyone's protective of their own work, while it might seem garbage to us, in their eyes it might seem very readable. Same reason why a curated version of originals is not implemented too.

So no matter how bad it is, ( even if the translator is someone who don't even have a passable english and is trying to mtl a language he got 0 knowledge of, yes I'm looking at you whoever you are. ) yea, sadly it's allowed on Nu.

Simplified reason : People get salty.

DCLXVII likes this.
  7. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    While I fully agree, this entirely depends on the 'translator's confidence. I don't think NU should be responsible to go as far as checking the quality of each new project that gets uploaded. Too much work -_-.

ADABANA likes this.
  8. twkisanotaku

twkisanotaku Booksloth

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly,you just have to live with it...there is always stuff like these,just like how there are good translators and bad "translators"who uses MTs

9. TheDefend

TheDefend Public Dental Support

Reading List:
    Link
    The cutoff is the translator must at least be somewhat proficient in english. then he will naturally know how broken the english from the mtl (yes, i mtl stuff, it's bad, period.)

As for bad mtl, NU should give a vote button to each ch to designate which chapter is considered bad TL, probably after 20 or 30 vote

10. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tripped across this before as well, and came very close to earning hatred for asking what would be a good way to discourage crap-MTL folk, so that better translators can pick up the series. Unfortunately, there is no good answer. : (

About the best suggestion was to have your flameproof suit, and post the novel in the pickup request forum, noting that TL's exist, but providing examples (like OP did above) of just how unbearably bad they are. You'll still get hate, but that's unavoidable, apparently.

Good luck to everybody involved. : )

11. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    No cut off? Let me upload the 3000 chapters of Martial God Asura from lnmtl to the novel chapter list.

Jaspaaar likes this.
  12. Daike1234

Daike1234 THE GUY WHO TRANSLATE WITH THE HELP OF MACHINES

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if the person says that he uses mtl and bad in english then I can approve of what he is doing. And when the person does not clarify that he's using mtl despite the obviousness, moreover accept sponsored chapters, then i'll really get saltier than dead sea.

Its okay for me that mtl assisted translator to accept donation but NOT accepting sponsored chapters.

runsing and Ai chan like this.
  13. Nukus

Nukus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps rather than a bad trans tag on the novel A bad trans mark should be put next to the translator and/or chapter. Get enough of them on the chapters (percentage of recent translations) and the mark appears next to the translator.

14. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    NU is an aggregate, not a curator. You will have to judge the quality yourself.

15. Nukus

Nukus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont see any issue with MTLs accepting sponsored chapters as long as people know what they are paying for.

16. Occulus

Reading List:
    Link
    Not necessarily. All you would have to do is to set up a place to report; at least one reader will flag something if the "translation" is horrible.

17. Nukus

Nukus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but are not ratings basically the same idea? It may not be NU that is doing the curating but looking at the ratio of high votes to low votes one can get a good sense of quality, after taking into account the genre and tags. Some tags get more low or high votes regardless of quality. Same could be applied to translators.

18. Nukus

Nukus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same could be applied to translators or rather translator/novel/chapter combinations as a trans group may have separate translator/editor teams for each novel they translate.

19. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    That has the potential to go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond the original intentions >_<.

Saol likes this.
  20. heartantares

heartantares One Who Provides Uselessly Detailed Information

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes s translation group is made up of multiple translators(mixed good and bad) working on separate projects where they dont check eachother. (Basically they left site matenence to a person so they wont have to worry about it) it'll impact both the good and bad. Also groups change when translators come and go.

For the most part i think its fine to just leave the system alone. Since you might kill off new fledgling translators. People wont be good right off the bat. And it isnt like they are forcing you to read it.... i kinda just leave the truely terrible ones alone and hope someone picks up at the spot again....(or I'll have to study japanese and hope i can make sense of it)

AliceShiki and runsing like this.