Discussion What makes someone them?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Potato, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Potato

Potato its doomed

Reading List:
    Link
    How would someone know who's who? What makes a person a person?

1. If you switched bodies with another person, would you be you, but in that person's body, or you be him?

2. Say that teleporters exist, and they work by reconstructing you with your memories at the location you teleport to, and then the teleporter destroys the previous body. What if one time, the teleporter doesn't work, and people at the teleporter inform you that it did construct a body, but didnt destroy this one, and they needed to murder you. Would you be at the place where you teleported to and you still be in the body that didnt teleport?

3. What part of the body makes up you? if your whole body is destroyed, and you still have sentience, would you be dead or the sentient part of the body be you?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    CDLevit and Enigma like this.
  2. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say the part of you that has sentience, emotions, thought makes you you. The body is a part of it because it influences how you will live your life, but even if you got a different body your thoughts and emotions would dictate what you would do and how you control it.
    @Potato thanks now I have a headache

NinetH, CDLevit and Potato like this.
  3. Wytchlord

Wytchlord I like strawberries ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Your whole being is basically your brain. The moment it is altered you change. However almost every change in your surroundings, your body or anything related to you can change your brain, your being, your character as well. So the you is constantly changing and with every thought your character "grows".
    So even if you get recontructed and your former body is still there, you would only be similar, as your former character does not have the same expierence. From then on the two beings who your originally were are seperated forever. So yeah, kill one to avoid future consequences.

CDLevit likes this.
  4. Potato

Potato its doomed

Reading List:
    Link
    no problem! 。◕‿◕。

Enigma likes this.
  5. Potato

Potato its doomed

Reading List:
    Link
    but if you dont feel anything and you cant tell that one of you is in the place you teleported to, would you let yourself be killed and you wouldnt know if your consciousness would be transported to the other place, would you still let yourself be killed?

6. Catacus

Catacus The God of Cat's & Potato's

Reading List:
    Link
    the potato has reach a higher plane of existence......

Potato likes this.
  7. tact

tact the master mind AND The Communicator #1

Reading List:
    Link
    answer to it is quite simple
    scientifically are body is something like a very very advance robot so ,
    answer to you second question is that there will be to robots with same memories (or data ) and posses same funtioning system like windows
    answer to you 1st question should depend on condition
    conditions-
    1.your brain is transplanted in others body
    2.your memories transplanted in others body while he has his memories
    3.your memories transplanted in others body while he dose not have his memories

8. MrStealYoCultivation

MrStealYoCultivation Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the central problems of metaphysics is what it is to be a person. The answer ought to account for central phenomena of personhood; rationality, command of language, self-consciousness, control or agency, and moral worth or title to respect, are amongst the salient characteristics that have been thought to distinguish persons from other forms of life. In Locke, ‘person’ is a forensic term, applying for moral reasons (‘to agents capable of a law, and happiness and misery’, Essay, ii. 27). A dualistic approach regards a person as an amalgam of an essentially separate mind and body, with the resulting problem of reinventing their unity in the living person (see mind-body problem, occasionalism). Monistic theories, such as that of Strawson's Individuals (1959), work with a primitive concept of a person, as some one thing logically capable of being described in bodily or mental terms. The problem is that of what makes the identity of the single person at a time or through time. To take the latter first, we can each imagine ourselves as having been rather different, or as becoming rather different, as indeed we will in the normal course of life. What makes it the case that I survive a change, that it is still me at the end of it? It does not seem necessary that I should retain the body I now have, since I can imagine my brain transplanted into another body, and I can imagine another person taking over my body, as in multiple personality cases. But I can also imagine my brain changing either in its matter or its function while it goes on being me that is thinking and experiencing, perhaps less well or better than before. My psychology might change, so its continuity seems only contingently connected with my own survival. So, from the inside, there seems nothing tangible making it I myself who survives some sequence of changes. The problem of identity at a time is similar: it seems possible that more than one person (or personality) should share the same body and brain, so what makes up the unity of experience and thought that we each enjoy in normal living? The problems of personal identity were first highlighted in the modern era by Locke, who recognized that the idea that the sameness of a person might consist in the sameness of underlying mental substance, the solution proposed by Descartes, was incapable of providing any criterion for use in the ordinary empirical world, for instance in connection with the just attribution of responsibility for past action. Locke's own solution lay in the unity of consciousness, and in particular in the presence of memory of past actions; this account has been criticized as either circular, since memory presupposes identity, or insufficiently consonant with normal practice, since people forget things that they themselves did. The unity of the self failed to survive the scrutiny of Hume, whose own theory that the unity consisted in a kind of fiction (perhaps like that of a nation or a club, whose existence through time is not an all-or-nothing affair) was one of the few parts of his philosophy with which he declared himself dissatisfied. The organizing principle behind the unity of consciousness was a central element in Kant's reaction to the sensational atomism of the empiricists. Contemporary philosophy contains successors of all these attacks on the problem. The immaterial ‘I’ that possesses conscious experience, controls passion, desire, and action, and maintains a perfect identity from birth (or before) to death (or after). Modern philosophy of mind has frequently been concerned with dismantling the cluster of views that make it plausible to think in terms of such a thing. What am I? What sort of things, metaphysically speaking, are you and I and other human people? What is our basic metaphysical nature? For instance, what are we made of? Are we made up entirely of matter, as stones are, or partly or wholly of something else? If we are made of matter, what matter is it? (Just the matter that makes up our bodies, or might we be larger or smaller than our bodies?) Where, in other words, do our spatial boundaries lie? More fundamentally, what fixes those boundaries? Are we substances—metaphysically independent beings—or is each of us a state or an aspect of something else, or perhaps some sort of process or event? One possible answer to this broad question is that we are biological organisms. (Surprisingly perhaps, most philosophers reject this. We will return to it later.) Another is that we are partless immaterial substances—or compound things made up of an immaterial soul

CDLevit and Potato like this.
  9. Wytchlord

Wytchlord I like strawberries ~

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I think both of my beings would try to stay alive while killing the other or trying to coexist. It would probably turn into quite a mess.. xD So if it feels like i was not teleported and they try to kill me I would fight back and try to escape.

10. tact

Reading List:
    Link
    1st it wont happen because they just identical beings so both will posses your consciousness
    as for letting them kill one of me i will just not use telepotation device

11. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Have the laws descended
    @Potato now I want to read some Edgar Allen Poe thanks again potato

CDLevit likes this.
  12. Potato

Potato its doomed

Reading List:
    Link
    you would still use the teleportation device - how else would you get around? there arent anymore cars, because there isnt a need for cars

13. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    i think it's the brain or consciousness. if let say body swap occur, then the mind that control the body is the one that shape the personality. subconscious things like habits are carried on. i believe as long as the consciousness exist, then the person live. a body is similar to a vessel.

14. tact

Reading List:
    Link
    man he ask for answer not whole discription of all theories that are out there
    anyway i read through you reply
    the answer to potato's question no.1 if my 2nd condition is meet
    is just as you suggested merging of personalities

15. Potato

Potato its doomed

Reading List:
    Link
    hm.. added number tags so i can tell what question you're talking about~

16. tact

Reading List:
    Link
    no i wont i will just use the ship i created which can move with the C*C

17. Potato

Potato its doomed

Reading List:
    Link
    how would you get the funds to build it?

18. tact

Reading List:
    Link
    this one
    "If you switched bodies with another person, would you be you, but in that person's body, or you be him?" is 1st
    and this one is 2nd
    "Say that teleporters exist, and they work by reconstructing you with your memories at the location you teleport to, and then the teleporter destroys the previous body. What if one time, the teleporter doesn't work, and people at the teleporter inform you that it did construct a body, but didnt destroy this one, and they needed to murder you. Would you be at the place where you teleported to and you still be in the body that didnt teleport?"

Potato likes this.
  19. tact

Reading List:
    Link
    by being most powerfull and rich guy on universe
    you dont know i am makeing plan of world domaination

20. spoks

spoks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    persone is made of his life expierince like certain actions with this or that body in situations gives you insights and influence your growth of you so as there are difrent 2 of you who experienced difrence of being teleportated or not they are not the same person and with time they simularty will become absoulete .... :p

CDLevit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.