Recommendations What would you like to see in a xianxia style original novel?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Violetbird27, Oct 14, 2017.

1. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a sad day when the best waifu is an inanimate object that identifies with being male, i'll still allow him in the harem though.:blobsalute::sushi_peak:

Saitama.sensei likes this.
  2. sergioGM

sergioGM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MC who style of combat is that of an assasin.
    This dont mean that he is a bad person or bloodthirsty, only that he is more of stealth, venom and dagger :)

Violetbird27 likes this.
  3. Violetbird27

Violetbird27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I've been tumbling this around in my head and I'm glad someone else approves! On the list.

4. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I’ve always been interested in knowing who the first person that created Cultivation is.

Violetbird27 likes this.
  5. JackStone

JackStone Wow. How nice. Good job.

Reading List:
    Link
    True. I already fell in love with the novel at the beginning chapters. MC and the other main characters (I prefer call in them that instead of side characters or villians) are sometimes lovable and sometimes you just wanna stab them, and they also greatly affects the plot.... And as for the romance... The romance... It's majestic.

Violetbird27 likes this.
  6. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

It can get pretty out there. First stage secound border right heel hallway cultivator...

7. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    It is sad.. but what's great about Lou Lan is that his cheerful attitude will make you happy even if you're on the verge of suicide! So yeah, definitely receiving a harem spot

8. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

The writting even after being translated is prodigious.

JackStone likes this.
  9. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Just imagine getting laid for the first time and he's forming letters above the bed "CONGRATULATIONS' or cheering him on 'YOU CAN DO IT!!"

10. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

That's my favorite part!

Going on the list!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2017
    sergioGM and otaku31 like this.
  11. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL I gotta admit, that's the funniest thing I've heard all week :LOL:

12. Haters gonna Hate

Haters gonna Hate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He marry to 1 girl. No arrogant young master. MC isn't a d*ck. MC is genius but not a demon-level or whatever. MC can lose sometimes like in Swallowed Star. If there's an enmity, it's best if he explain what he did etc. He got some allies that aren't there only to let the MC be more brilliant: not only MC is powerful but even they side-characaters can be useful. Idem for his love interest.

13. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. i've pretty much stopped picking up new xianxia at this point sijce its just the same thing over and over again.

Some other issues include having a single level breaktbrough in cultivation being invincible to the level below it. If that were true none of those enemy clans would exist because as soon as on of the clans had someone breakthrough they could immediately annihilate the other clans.

The girls are another issue although not based on the societies structure but the whole "tries to kill the MC" then become MC's woman is just bad. Especially as the MC usually claims principles that wouldn't allow forgiveness to that kind of random murder attempt. Especially when the MC is usually not at fault.
    Making tbe girls relevant I think is important. Don't just make the collectables or wallflowers, nor damsels i distress. If you going to have a love interest, assuming its not the "unattainable" type that is one of the reasons for your MC to push himself, make the girl more like partners with the MC. PLEASE. Sick of them existing for little more reason than worshipping MC

Violetbird27 likes this.
  14. Mystogrigen

Mystogrigen 「Clever and Witty Original Title」

Reading List:
    Link
    • Actual romance, and not some cliche bullshit where it's practically a done deal.
    • Actual defining of beauty for females. Not just saying "heaven-defying beauty" and leaving it at that. That shit is lazy.
    • Actual antagonist, and not a long string of young masters. Well, the introduction arc of the story can have a young master or two, but stories like this work better with a Hitler type person or organization to be the asshole.
    • Don't use bullshit platitudes when describing techniques, natural laws, or anything. I swear to god, the word "Profound" must mean something completely different in China.
    • Arrogance. Being confident is one thing, but arrogance... Ugh. The majority of all CN novels I have dropped are because the Protagonist has his arrogance setting set to 11 out of 10. Arrogance doesn't work with Xianxia math. More is not better.
    • Alchemy... This is such an overused trope. And it practically becomes the dividing line later on in any series. "Oh, alchemists are rare and super hard to advance!!1" and then the second half of the story, everyone and their grandmother are god-tier young alchemists who can give the MC a hard time. If the MC has to have a trade skill, let him do artifact forging, formations, beast raising, etc. Anything but alchemy.
    • Luck. You aren't out to prove the statement "You can't have everything" wrong. Most of the time that detracts from the story, as the MC is having a hard time, and you start expecting some immortality buttplug or super herb to show up to save the day.

Violetbird27 likes this.
  15. Lokumi

Lokumi 『The second greatest trash of society』

Reading List:
    Link
    Lou Lan best girl !
    If well done it can be good, but it can be boring as hell too, you need to find a balance.

Violetbird27 likes this.
  16. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

Gotcha. Your prayers have been heard.

17. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    MC or villains shouting a long ass fancy savvy technique before or while launching that moves

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Violetbird27 likes this.
  18. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for your tutelage, I'll keep these in mind.

19. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    A MC that destroys his shitty family instead of helping them
    a MC that doesn't use a sword or spear( they all do)

Cohran and Violetbird27 like this.
  20. Violetbird27

Reading List:
    Link

Can you believe I went through that dilema just a few days ago? I wanted to pull my hair out!! Little Lin was going to be cultivating with a goddamn pencil sharpener if I didn't calm down. Luckily though I found the answer