Discussion whats up with xianxiaworld

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by siwakotisaurav, Jan 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeoWoe

MeoWoe [Altair] [Exqúisite]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats the power of lolis...they can even shutdown a site so dont provoke them...this is just a warning for those who want to provoke the lolis or else what happened to XXW wil also happen to your site.....just kidding..

Wujigege and runsing like this.
  2. arceus

arceus The Invisible Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some changes to some of the terms that will make sense in later chapters only. For eg. they translated Heaven Foundation as Sky Foundation since the MTL translates Tian as Sky. If ISSTH is anything to go by, Most of the terms will have deeper meaning in later chapters and their mistranslation now will lead to repercussions later. Besides, I heard that XXW pays their translators per chapter translated leading to a scenario where the translators dump chapters without editing or TC as is the case with Emperor of the Cosmos whose quality nosedived after 90. Besides Ren just mentioned another business trip and most of the novels at XXW are winding up. Coincidence much??? ;):whistle::whistle:

3. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, I'll admit XXW needed some good editors in a big way, but it's too bad to see so many novels cut short. Hope most of them get picked up; i'll freely admit most of them are mind candy, but I like my mind candy and judging by their ranking on this site I'm not the only one.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, to try to summarize what I've read in one place:
    • XXW was started as a for-profit venture, paying translators to do chapters. None of the original staff knew english, which led to some early-on MTL issues, that were later replaced. The translators that joined varied in quality and speed, which also became an issue, and resulted in a need for editors, which increased costs or lowered quality. This irritated potential readers.
    • In an attempt to gain eyeballs, XXW 'stole' and/or bullied away several novels from other translators, which caused a degree of irritation in the translation scene, and a decrease in translators willing to work with or host on XXW. This irritated potential translators
    • XXW staff repeatedly violated reddit rules about spamming, advertising, and sockpupets-arround-shadowbans, and finally got blocked by the reddit admins (the Real Employees of Reddit). Only one or two XXW translators or editors remain on reddit. This irritated redditors.
    • Recently, an aggregator site was discovered that uses XXW design and coding and stole content from more than a dozen sites - XXW says it was coded by a former employee, but also refuses to discuss the issue further. This irritated just about everyone in the TL scene.
    • A few other arguments have boiled into the open between individuals staffing XXW and other folk. This made people wonder: "where there's smoke . . . "
    • NU has chosen to stay neutral, and not link to the aggregator site, but to continue linking to XXW releases. Some people have objected to this, as well (simile: a chopshop on the same lot as a used car dealership - do you tolerate the legal business thats linked to an illegal one?)

In summary, XXW's staff have lost the respect or ticked off a huge variety of people in the TL scene, and while a lot of readers just wish to
    read in peace, things do not look positive for XXW.

I suggest that if you have any novels on XXW that you've liked, to quickly save them as MHT's or similar, just in case the site does vanish in the next few days.

underwaterrain and Jaspaaar like this.
  5. cellimen45

cellimen45 God of Books (self proclaimed) Convert The Bullies

Reading List:
    Link
    My question is this.

How many chapters did they owe before the mass release, because king of myraid domains added like 50 chapters, all of which are BARELY edited if at all.

So if they owed 50 chapters and they gave us that then this probably goes against paypal regulations for giving significantly different products then described.

Which would be a basically mtl instead of a actually translated and edited chapter. In which case xxw may have to pay them back or release 50 actually decent chapters.

runsing likes this.
  6. malusoldier87

malusoldier87 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they should pay back everyone for the mtl version but they wont cause they released something, people have to contact paypal tell the customer service people that they copy and paste someone else work and call it their own

cellimen45 likes this.
  7. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    same thing with DSI......10 releases and unless your a green, 3 ft, centuries old master......u cant understand the last 3 chpts

8. carapeto

carapeto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since most of the $$ is marked as donations I don't see why paypal would refund...

Anyway, Just hope someone picks the novels they are dropping! Some are quite good and have a huge fanbase!
    To me the main issue is that if they are starting from the begining then there will be a big drop in fanbase, at least for now...

9. cellimen45

Reading List:
    Link
    While it does say donations it isn't actually just a donation due to the fact that they also have a donation bar, and after a certain amount of donations are made they release an extra chapter.

Also yeah I hope whoever picks it up starts from the last decent chapter instead of restarting it, or hope they translate VERY fast.

10. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are morally correct. This is, however, the most useless kind of correct, and has no bearing on paypals business practices. The reason they have the option of marking a payment as a donation versus a purchase is to avoid this very scenario. Once a payment is marked as a donation, no entitlements are associated with it. The end. This "paypal should pay it back" nonsense needs to die in a fire already it's not their place to worry about the efficacy of your donation.

Arcturus, Jarrow and cellimen45 like this.
  11. cellimen45

Reading List:
    Link
    That is clever of them but very evil

12. Plural

Plural Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are the recently updated novels being MTLed?

13. cellimen45

Reading List:
    Link
    It either completely is, or was barely glanced at before being posted. Either way it's nearly unreadable.

14. moocho

moocho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    King of Myriad Domain mass release. With original Chinese text above English, paragraph by paragraph.
    It turns out this is a very good method of "learning" Chinese.. Annoyed beginning turns normal fast enough, and then there is the visual delicacy that is Chinese. A while of comparing words, figuring out what is what, how what affects what has been more fun than anticipated haha! Reminded me of reading comics by the end..
    Starting with chapter 125 there are blanks in released chapters, usually a couple at a time. It has destroyed this newfound joy I have been expecting to provide for the next 50 chapters or so instantaneously...

Bewarned, higher the misinformed expectations, deadlier the certain fall.

This act of missing chapters is most cruel and unusual..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  15. Boy and the Beast

Boy and the Beast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not sure but MTL with some basic knowledge looks somewhat similar to that..

16. Saint

Saint 圣人

Reading List:
    Link
    Status update from a XXW editor:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltranslations/comments/5oh1su/tl_xianxiaworlds_status/
    Xianxiaworld is shutting down.

Series Status
    Dragon-Marked War God: Moved to Path of Translations
    World Defying Dan God: Moved to Path of Translations
    Realms in the Firmament: The novel will be translated elsewhere, but for the moment, it is still to be announced.
    Dominating Sword Immortal: Planning to move.
    The Magus Era: Planning to move.
    Beast Piercing the Heavens: Dropped
    Emperor of the Cosmos: Moved to Quantum Novels.
    King of Myriad Domains: Planning to move.
    The Portal of Wonderland: The translation team hasn't replied.
    God of Slaughter: Planning to move.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Jarrow likes this.
  17. archn3m29

archn3m29 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So. Now that XXW is Dead, what will happen to the aggregator site that seemed to be running behind it?

19. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's ran by the jackass who owns the whole thing back in china. it isn't going anywhere, cause again, the boss is a jackass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.