When drama based on books go wrong

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Wujigege, May 19, 2017.

?

Do you think Wujigege would be a better director for Fighter of Destiny

1. Yes he will because he will stick to the source

66.7%
  2. No he hates romance and comedy and the current story is more fun

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    TD: LR If I was the producer, I would have done a better job with drama novel adaptations especially in the case of Swordsman 2013. I most likely won't hire Wallace Huo( How I hate him, he stole Chen Qiao En from me :mad:)

I enjoy watching a lot of wuxia dramas but it can be quite disappointing when the screenplay changes the original story. If it makes the story better I don't mind but this usually happens:

Screenwriter swaps characters A with B in scenes with character C to insert more romance.
    Forgets that they swapped characters and expects A and C to be close when they never met before or had anytime to develop a relationship( Swordsman 2013 was guilty of this, given that Yingying got replaced by DongFang in all her pivotal scenes, it was quite difficult to consider her an actual love interest..)

Fighter of Destiny might have the same issues from what I have seen. Hopefully, since they have veered away from the book, they don't default to it at the end like Swordsman. It will make little sense.

--End of Rant---

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. ultrafunfun

ultrafunfun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you forgot option 3: I have no idea what are you talking about there,but have a cookie.

LadyBlue, Saerav, Crimshine and 6 others like this.
  3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL I actually know what you're referring to. Honestly, so very much changes and swaps they did with that one. Though I know it's a blasphemy towards the original work, that Dongfang Bubai is perhaps one of the best heroine I've seen.

Aiiee, Shem and Wujigege like this.
  4. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't watch adapted chinese novels, it's fucking trash unless the original is 100% involved.

5. heartentice

heartentice The One That Entice The Soul

Reading List:
    Link
    Of coz they want to be more versatile but its only good for people who dont read the novel, obviously the haters are the novel reader, so i think you need to reduce your expectations when seeing ANY novel adaptation

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Lyase

Lyase Caelum Codex

Reading List:
    Link
    Only underage teenage girls are enjoying them cause the romance part, they dont care about the plot at all.

Only good drama I watch is nirvana on fire, it has basically romance (thank gos, cause chinese romance are horrible cliche)

Wujigege likes this.
  7. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I've learned my lesson with Princess Wei Yang.

Ko and Wujigege like this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I loved her too but I was disappointed that the director did a cop out and defaulted to the original ending.
    Which made no sense at the end of the day.
    I am not hating on novel adaptations just hoping the dramas are consistent.

Oops I see that I made a typo and wrote drama adaptation instead of novel adaptation

9. dlist

dlist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    im really a superstar wont have live action because of Plagiarism law.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. INUHim-SAMA

INUHim-SAMA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The fighter of the Destiny romance is not that good lol. I feel no chemistry between Rou Yong and Chengshan:cry::cry: It is a bit forced, you can tell this even without reading the novel.

P.S I watched the drama before going to read the novel and I have to say, the novel is far more entertaining. I don't like what they have done to Qiushan(n)

Wujigege likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel that they swapped some of Luoluo's scenes with Chanseng with Thirty-Six, which ruined their friendship in my opinion. Also, Yourong is supposed to be a hermit but she is meeting everyone face to face haha. She was supposed to have a mysterious air towards her.
    Inspired by instead of adapted from Ze Tian Ji is more apt for this.
    Then you have Jin Su or General Jin who is Luoluo's bodyguard and supposed to be of the top 5 strongest people in the city but he is getting his butt kicked by a lowly assassin, oh well.
    I might watch it out of boredom but I doubt I will finish it.

I just noticed that the showrunners seem to be confused on Yourong's messenger crane. I believe it is an actual crane, which has also made an appearance and not a paper crane.
    That is why its so difficult to reach her, but with paper cranes with the homing sense of carrier pigeons and built in GPS and human tracker , reaching anyone is a bit too easy haha

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  12. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    And soon the title will have many plagiarism gossips about them. Typical distraction tactics...

Aiiee likes this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont understand what you mean

14. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't they usually use that? When doing drama adaptations, and people call out how it's too different from the novel (ughh triggered by Princess Wei Yang' male lead) etcetc suddenly there'd be news of the novel getting called out for plagiarization blablabla and then people got distracted comparing and searching for other similar scenes with other titles blablabla....things like that. I know this did not happen few years ago but it somehow become a trend nowadays.

INUHim-SAMA and Wujigege like this.
  15. ultrafunfun

ultrafunfun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you still haven't put option 3!!!

Wujigege likes this.
  16. ForumObserver

ForumObserver [Clumsy Member] [Verver] [Table Flipper]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahahahaha...... my parents (excluded my father) are watching those back then and went like what the heck is this show

Wujigege and LaDyViL like this.
  17. INUHim-SAMA

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly didn't know about the swap of male leads in Princess Weiyoung until it ended. After learning about it, I was fine with it though. I still thought their chemistry was good.
    I did know that she relived her life again in the novel. That is what i felt bummed about when they changed it to an identity swap instead. I just really wanted to see her go back to change things and get revenge. I loved the drama adaptation nevertheless though. It was one of those few novel adaptations where I enjoyed the full 50 or so episodes and never felt bored

Wujigege and LaDyViL like this.
  18. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe if I watched the drama first, I'd be okay with it. I know the graphic, the characters, their portrayal aren't so bad but when I've read the novel and seen their counterparts....Wei Yang's not even Wei Yang. I can't take it huhu... The male lead change was what broke me. That's just too much considering it's a drama adaptation of the novel. That's like how CD manhua went and cut off Grandpa Doehring's d**k and give him b**bs making him Grandma Doehring!!!

coughSorry, too emotional. The drama's not so bad for a Chinese drama. But it's far from being a Princess Wei Yang adaptation. For me. Don't share my opinion of it. I'm too biased 'coz I read the novel first.

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I said inspired by is more fitting for most of these stories

LaDyViL likes this.
  20. INUHim-SAMA

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really curious now...I've heard journey of flower adaptation wasnt really good? How would you guys rate it and why? I personally didn't watch it because i lost interest after the first 30mins of episode 1.

Wujigege likes this.