Discussion Which is the worst style of filler in xianxia?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AardwarkThe2nd, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
?

So which is the worst type of filler?

1. Peerless beauties

31 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Arrogant trash

31 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. Aborted storyline

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  4. Overdone storyline

23 vote(s)
    31.9%
  5. Zero side-characters

12 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Too many side-characters

27 vote(s)
    37.5%
  7. Irrelevance

42 vote(s)
    58.3%
  8. Something else (Answer in comment)

8 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    So if you have noticed, most xianxia have some type of filler. Which is the style of filler you are most annoyed by?

Peerless beauties:
    Paragraphs long shilling of appearance and temperament. Will follow MC for an arc, being in awe of his peerless skill and personality. Will be irrelevant and forgotten in the next arc, surpassed by a woman with higher beauty. Might be mentioned in a line or two later.

Arrogant trash:
    Zero personality, other than hating the MC for some reason. They will be higher in power level than the MC, look down on him and treat him like a insect. After the MC surpasses them and takes revenge, they might pathetically beg for mercy or die as arrogant as they lived. Will be saved/ avenged by family members. Young master > Father> Grandfather > Ancestor and so on...

Aborted storyline:
    Sometimes, the story is building up to a climatic point. Maybe a war arc is going on, where the climax is the MC killing an army of 1000 with 100 men. It begins with small skirmishes, the MC recruits powerful characters, forms alliances. There are small battles, but the war hasn't even begin. A medium-level battle happens which gets your blood pumping and wanting for more but... What?! The super-powerful sect ancestor woke up and killed everyone and everyone from the MC's army is dead? The war didn't even properly end...

Overdone storyline:
    The opposite of 'aborted storyline', the arc has stretched on for too long and needs to be ended. A arrogant bastard to oppose the MC... dead in 5 chapters, okay. Dead in 20 chapters, well done. Still living for 100 chapters?!...you cockroach, die already!

Zero side-characters:
    The MC is solo. The worldbuilding, battles and story arc might be good, but hearing only the MC's thoughts and opinions gets annoying quick.

Too many side-characters:
    Reading the life story of a character before he gets completely forgotten and thrown to the side is a bit annoying... And having it happen so many times before you realize skimming the paragraphs is a better option is even worse...

Irrelevance:
    The amazing history of a legendary sword takes up a entire 5 chapters. The sword itself is used for a battle before being quietly forgotten. A martial art which allows one to fight the level above is shilled about, but the MC gives up on martial arts for laws a chapter after practicing it and doesn't even use it for a single battle. Dear author, if you were going to throw it away in short time, why introduce it in the first place!?

2. Professor Charles Francis Xavier

Professor Charles Francis Xavier Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The whole novel.

Solracmar and ABMAINA like this.
  3. TotesMyGoats

TotesMyGoats yeetle the teetle

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely those last two, they always pop up in IET's works as well as ISSTH, and they piss me off so much

4. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the most filler I hate is the story it self where the plot keep repeat like MGA.

5. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Overdone storyline can be really annoying. Especially when you really want things to move one and for the next arc to begin. Like in Wu Dong Qian Kun
    The cockroach LL that lived for so many chapters was really annoying.

6. Lucinia

Lucinia Baby turtles are the Overlords of cuteness *_*

Reading List:
    Link
    Arrogant young master

And thats the most important thing

EVERYONE who is young strong and unknow is a seedling of a big sect or got some hughe backing. No one dares to offend them, unless this person is the mc ... then they come like some hyenas

7. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Irrelevance .

I like well rounded plots. I can acept if in the midle he discover a new better way but just forgot and trash is annoing. I want to know every detail possible.
    That is also valid for side characters especialy wifes. I really dont like when they are just irrelevant. The thecnique medicine character dont need to be on every chapter or even have a end like death but just be forgotten is ....sad and..make me really angry.

8. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    its hard to decide... who cares, I can mark everything anyway, no filler is good.

9. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    when they suddenly shift to POV of mob character that doesn't have to do with the story. no flag or development to MC just straight up filler.

Solracmar likes this.
  10. Love4NovelGuy

Love4NovelGuy [Veteran Writer] [Reaper]

Reading List:
    Link
    All Xianxia's are like this, but people still read them anyway.

mcmunhuu likes this.
  11. ImmortalDreamer

ImmortalDreamer [7 Sins][OriginPrince][Ero God][Phantasma]

Reading List:
    Link
    The purpose of a novel is to intrigue the reader, cause chaos with the suspense, give a bucket-feels of various emotions depending on the genre. When a novel fails to do thus due to any reason, that very reason is the one to lead it towards failure. I chose all options btw.

12. raxadian

raxadian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cooking, the number one filler in Asian Light Novels

Solracmar likes this.
  13. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm well sometimes it irks me, but then i'll just think of it as life. . . . and then all will be better again. . . cause nothing is much crappier than life. ..

14. TheDeadOne21

TheDeadOne21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I think I'm getting upset at a novel, I think about true martial world. How about the demon god fight that lasted 60 chapters? Or Shen Tuo natian, or something like that whom I thought died, then proceeded to come back to life, only to again come back to life, only to die and be possessed by someone who acts like shen tuo nantian. I don't know how I actually caught up to the translation with those parts even existing. Having HUNDREDS of chapters in a row that DON'T matter, while the author and reader know it, is by far the worst thing I've seen. Korean novels are 200 chapters, its amazing how much garbage you can shove into something. I even remember cktalon stating that the demon god fight was sped up and it still took another 15 chapters from that post.

15. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    well,ramblings~~ generally tho,filler is what pays them authors more...unfortunately!

Solracmar likes this.
  16. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Even on a cooking novel?

17. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you add another option please:
    I'm an Asura World Spirit from the Asura Spirit World. Heavens, she is an Asura World Spirit from the strongest Asura Spirit World?! Doesn't that mean that she is from the strongest Spirit World, the Asura Spirit Wolrd!
    Or crap like that from MGA

18. raxadian

raxadian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cooking light novels are basically recipe books with extra text, is basically filler the novel.

19. mcmunhuu

mcmunhuu [Got rejected by LaDyViL] [T_T] [No Game No Life]

Reading List:
    Link
    Pursuing dao is hard anything may happen why bother just fuck it(background song:boom voom boom this is sparta aaaaah d)

20. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    that some young master keeps saying
    trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash trash
    the whole damd time can't they say anything else

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.