Discussion Which novels to "Absolutely" dodge and not read?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Aeid, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoid all netorare, yaoi and gender bender. I also avoid novels that are on hiatus or dropped in country of origin. I avoid novels that were dropped by the translator and also avoid unreadable ones and mtl. There might be a few more things, that I don't currently remember.

mrttao likes this.
  2. Pythagoras Theorem

Pythagoras Theorem Horse (?)

Reading List:
    Link
    Avoid everything on NU and just read published books.

StampedingSquirrel likes this.
  3. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    don't forget Rapist MC

4. DarkArts

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really avoid those. There's usually much more to it than that and I don't avoid it without knowing the circumstances. Also, I'm not one of those people who consider rape worse than murder, torture and mass-slaughter.

5. StampedingSquirrel

StampedingSquirrel Unstoppable Sciuridae

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoid any webnovels/light novels that focus too much on romance, be it harem or not, ntr or not. Simply because none of this half-assed writers know how to develop any romance at all, and none of them know how to write without abusing retarded and over-used tropes. These webnovels are simply no-brainers, they are novels you read just to waste some time without thinking, I will tell you in advance that none of them are great pieces of literature. Of course, some of them are really miles above the others, but they are not best-seller level.

mrttao likes this.
  6. Vicious

Vicious [Egg on rice]

Reading List:
    Link
    Avoid yaoi.... Unless you're into that stuff~

7. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, by genre, don't read Bringing The Farm To Live In Another World if you're looking for a novel about farming. It turns out that the darn thing isn't primarily a farm but a brainwashing machine (the rest of the story is quite crappy as well). >_<

8. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the eye rolls. It isn't that rape is worse than murder, it is that not every act of killing is an act of murder, just like not every act of sex is an act of rape.

Just like you can justify sex with "it was consensual", you can justify killing with "they started it" or "they were bad guys" or many other things. However you cannot justify rape with "she was a bad guy".

If the MC is actually an unjustified murderer than this changes things and makes him a very vile character.

Mangochic likes this.
  9. DarkArts

Reading List:
    Link
    There are still way to many such instances and no one bats an eye for it. Personally, I still see killing as much worse in most situations, except for very few circumstances.
    There is also the fact that it's fiction and just the fact that the MC is a villain or bad guy doesn't mean it's a bad read. Furthermore, I don't see the need to justify their every action. They are just human.
    Another point, I wasn't targeting you with that post, or anyone at all for that matter. It's just that there are people around who make such a big deal of it as if it's the worst thing in existence, which I don't quite agree.
    Things like rape in a novel, I see it as a bad thing, just like a bandit group pillaged a village in some novel or a king killed half of his ministers or someone killed his best friend or something like that, but nothing more really, just another plot device. MCs do sometimes take part in all kinds of misdeeds, whether it's because of their lack of conscience, education or traumas or whatever reason. It happens.
    What I'm saying is, just because the MC does one or two bad things, it doesn't stop me from reading said novel. This is just a personal preference, but those 3 genres I mentioned above repulse me much more on the other hand than reading about an act of rape that happens once in an entire novel, or once in 400-500 chapters over which I can just skim if I'm really displeased or read it fast and get over it, possibly even forget it after 2-3 paragraphs.

10. littleshanks

littleshanks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good news, then you can read mine! :D

mrttao likes this.
  11. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are vastly over estimating the evil of killing. Even though killing can be a highly righteous act depending on the circumstances.
    Generally speaking, most NU examples are of really really bad reads. WMW stands as the one and only exception
    I explicitly said rapist MC not rape happened in the novel. There is a HUGE difference.
    If the MC was a bandit who pillages villages and murders everyone in there to take their stuff he is obviously much more detestable than a mere rapist MC. But rapist MCs are common, and I cannot think of a single case of a bandit MC

Also, a big thing is intent. When a rapist MC rapes someone, he is hurting people for his own pleasure. If the MC kills someone because he finds pleasure in killing then that is also very vile. I do not think i have seen an MC like that before. I have seen villains who kill people for fun, but not MCs

12. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn't about doing bad things, it is about being an utterly detestable piece of shit that you want to die but know he will not because he has MC plot armor. This is not limited to MCs who are evil, a typical beta JP MC or an utterly retarded MC who survives via plot armor can also fit the bill as well even though they are not evil.

You are also speaking in hypotheticals instead of practicals. Hypothetically an MC doing "a few bad things" doesn't ruin a story. In practice a story on NU where the MC is a rapist is going to be a shit story with an extremely shitty MC.

13. DarkArts

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think so. In fact I completely disagree. But then again, it's just based on my opinion and belief against yours.
    That is according to your preference. Truth is though that I haven't read something like that on NU yet, which is why I generalized a bit... maybe a bit more.
    I think the intent is the same sometimes. Some MCs don't do either for fun, but for revenge or just to hurt an enemy. Either way, that doesn't really matter to me, I just ignore it instead of completely avoiding it. Some times on the other hand it has nothing to do with either personal pleasure or revenge, like the situations where they want to save someone, though I do agree that this is a very stupid plot device.
    I'm just basically saying that killing and many other things the MCs sometimes do aren't any less detestable than rape in my opinion.
    That depends. Personally I disagree with you. If the MC really was some serial rapist just going around and raping girls at random I would agree, but I don't know such a story so...

14. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough
    can you give an example? Since as I said, I was talking about practical examples of stories on NU.

15. DarkArts

Reading List:
    Link
    Nothing really comes to mind, but I was generalizing about most such novels. Something you would understand if you read the next sentence. I don't think any such novel is a shitty story because of that. If they are shitty, there are probably many other reasons as well.

16. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this was my whole point. you were generalizing a hypothetical. I agree with your words in principle that such a hypothetical is hypothetically possible.
    But in practice the actual stories written are not like that.
    Bad implementation of X is still X.

Take harem for a less triggery example. Most (all that I have seen so far, but hypothetically exceptions could exist) harems are really badly written on NU. So it is fair to say that harem novels on NU suck and that the harem ruins what would otherwise be a good novel. Yes, some of those novels are bad in general and would be bad even without the bad harem implementation. But others could have been decent without the harem and the slew of problems that directly come from it.

17. Action

Action Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Mizura and mrttao like this.
  18. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Action thank you.
    I do not quite agree with you there but I can see where you are coming from.
    At this point though it becomes more of a matter of taste

Action likes this.
  19. Dragon God

Dragon God {King of Peasants} {Tanya's Husbando}

Reading List:
    Link
    Dungeon Defense begs to differ.
    Rakuin no Monshou begs to differ.

20. Dragon God

Dragon God {King of Peasants} {Tanya's Husbando}

Reading List:
    Link
    I can read rape, torture, etc.

In fact I can read genocide, destruction, etc, even if it's senseless, if it's artistic.

I'll make a post about the aesthetic of destruction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.