Question Why do authors ask for 1 day no release?.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Silverblood, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverblood

Silverblood Forbidden Library

Reading List:
    Link
    I just noticed this but when i read some novels most of the time authors would ask for some time off like a day or two. I mean this is not like a job wherein they are tasked to deliver everyday(though i hope some translators would :) well thats asking for too much hahaha. Back to topic)

I just read some novels wherein the author had to do something and is aking for a layoff of 2 days another asking for sometime off due to sickness. I mean they can just delay without even asking for it. A simple notice of delay would suffice no need to ask for forgiveness and such.

Do chinese readers go crazy if a single chapter is not released in a day?. And truth be told i am quite lost on how much exactly do this authors even make everyday to be relasing one or more chapters everyday. I thought it be like some past time or something i do know some of them have gone full blast as a job like ergen and others.

Sherrynity, Odorico and Havisu like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    "YOU DARE NOT GIVE ME FACE AND FAIL TO WRITE A CHAPTER TODAY?!?!"
    To be honest i think Japanese authors probably are more excessive in apologies, since it seems to be a recurring theme in their novels. Even Gods being very sorry for accidentally smiting MC before reincarnating them. *God does dogeza*

Setra, Sherrynity and Havisu like this.
  3. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    Aight, lemme break a universal truth for you: people are assholes or idiots, and often both. If you've ever worked a service job, I'm sure you're well aware of this fact.

yuusiren, Sherrynity, Noche and 5 others like this.
  4. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read the Chinese stalking thread, you'd know that on Chinese forums like NUF (but for Chinese webnovels), 60% of the posts are readers asking for more updates.

It's China.
    The culture's different.
    When you have a not-as-tolerant-related-to-updates population, you'd want to ask for a day off instead of getting tons of hate.

5. Silverblood

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to do a job in mcdonalds and i acknowledged some customers are assholes but thats face to face and i mean its the internet authors dont really need to show face hahahha

6. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people go crazy if the translations are late by hours. I can understand if the readers go crazy if the actual novel is late by a day or two

7. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese...
    A culture where being direct is offensive...

Not apoligizng every 3 seconds goes against their reason for being desu ne...

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    All these young masters demand justice!

readerz likes this.
  9. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    They are just trying to stimulate the black powder fans, that's all. :D

mir and Kanana like this.
  10. MianaXenia

MianaXenia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think if it more like, the author is telling us this in advance so that we don't worry about it. Plus, consider the authors as your friends :3, you would tell your friends stuff that you wouldn't tell other people.

11. Silverblood

Reading List:
    Link
    man those chinese readers are crazy if it were me i would just leave a story hanging in an epic cliffhanger for weeks hahaha

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  12. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors just wanna be polite, I don't see the problem.

13. Galison

Galison Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep the average Chinese person greed make us greed look like it doesn't exist. I'd also say this is likely due to the sudden influx of money the last decade or so in China while not much for us or European standards for the normal Chinese citizen under the communist gov it's insane.

14. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    In the west, apologies are used when a mistake is made. (Even to the extent for males that apology is a sign of weakness)
    In Japan, apologies are used as common courtesy.

In this case, just take it as the author informing his readers that there will be a delay in the next chapter release.

15. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Being an author in China is a job where the public opinion of you directly influences exactly how much income you obtain. By not informing the readers of a late chapter or something of that nature, some people may bet irritated and decide not to read anymore, or not donate, which in turn means they make less revenue. Basically, to an author, an apology could prevent the loss of hundreds or thousands of dollars, not to mention a bad rep. Hell yeah they would apologize.

Pyoo, yuusiren, Asf and 1 other person like this.
  16. zamornews

zamornews Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you see the thing is, most of the author are fighting against the big names for pages views as that is how they make money. if no one read then they dont make money.

now to the main point. there are hundreds of none completed stories being released on a daily basis on China Qidian or other distributors. if an author randomly stops posting with no reasons given then those viewers will go elsewhere which means that author will lose some followers to some other author that the viewer will pick which also means that he lose page views which means less money for him.

to them that is like a mcdonalds randomly closes for a few days. it wont really affect them much but that also means competitors will attract those customers instead and who knows if they might like it more then yours.
    the more they skip chapter days the more the reader will stop anticipating chapters which means you might lose viewers which translate to money. thry dont have patreon and are only paid for page views or something.

i might be wrong though.

either way i know alot of people got mad at ATG translators because she went on a family trip and didnt post the chapters she said she was gonna post while there so im guessing its probably worse in china with the massive population

17. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it has to do with the Online Novel model. You post a couple of paragraphs each day and people come to expect those 'chapters' to be posted daily. If you start a pattern and then suddenly stop it people will be upset. Most readers won't mind if the author doesn't post for a few days, however then you have authors who go from posting daily to posting monthly...

pinkrainmi likes this.
  18. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I think its a matter of etiquette. If people are looking forward to reading your novel and you can't deliver during a promised time, it is good etiquette to give a notification. It creates a closer relationship between the author and reader.

19. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think of it as a soap drama. Like those Mexican dramas, or Hong Kong dramas, or Taiwanese, etc. Or those season-based dramas like The Blacklist, Heroes, Game Of Thrones, House of Cards, etc. All done days, weeks, months ahead before releases.

Except, most soap dramas already have the major plots all drawn out, and already acted, then edited, before its released.

For a lot of these chinese webnovels, its written straight on-the-fly. Edited, then published within the same day. Not all authors practice writing stockpiling, where they would write as far as few chapters ahead, to sometimes tens of chapters ahead. The reason? They have to make sure people keep purchasing their chapters (yeah, its purchased by word count).

So if there are no chapters released, (especially unannounced), be prepared for the wrath and ire of customers. Angry customers = bad customers.

20. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda weird how they couldn't just write "Ah, my bad. I have something to do so the next chapter might be delayed."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.