Workout Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BlackBlade, Nov 8, 2016.

1. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    Woah wouldn't wanna look like that even if you gave it to me with no work required, I'm saying for majority of people who only workout recreationally, you don't need to have over 90kg unless you're over 2m.. and don't need to be able to bench press over 100kg and so on

2. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The point of referencing coleman was only to illustrate that just because you get big and beefy does not necessarily mean you will lose mobility. You or the vast majority of people will never come close to looking like Coleman. You need crazy genetics + a large cocktail of drugs and a lot of time in the gym to look like that. People that lift without substance abuse will generally never look monstrous, if they wore a sweater you would just think of them as being a slightly muscular normal person.

I'm not saying that people who only want to workout recreationally should have a gym membership, I'm saying that gym memberships are valuable in their own right.
    And no you don't need to be able to bench 100 kg, but you don't need to be doing pushups and situps either. Point being is there's multiple ways to do the same thing but if it's strength and building muscle you're interested in, barbells will get you there the fastest and will take you farther.

BlackBlade likes this.
  3. BlackBlade

BlackBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think one of the better things about working out is you have vastly more energy, since more mitochondria are created to meet your workout energy needs. Also some scientific studies have shown that exercise actually helps to create new brain cells, one of the only things that actually does if I recall right. Not to mention that improved blood flow!

Claire the Lunatic likes this.
  4. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @BlackBlade you do weights for you upper body and calisthenics for the legs?

you got it backwards. calisthenics for the upperbody and weights for the legs.

pullups-> muscleups, pushups->pike->handstand pushups.

or you could do kettlebells for the legs. i'm pretty sure i jacked up my squats by 50kg and deadlift by 80kg- just by swinging a 20kg kettlebell when i was just starting out.

5. Cryotic

Cryotic Nora's Psychic◈Nora's Silly Wife◈春雷◈暗いよ

Reading List:
    Link
    is spamming F5 and practicing the dao of F5 considered exercise?

well, I just do some walking.... it's something I guess

6. BlackBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything is going good so far. I'd been sick for about a week around christmas, which prevented me from going to the gym, but I'm better now. Also got some blood tests done and everything looked good, though I guess I need more good cholesterol.

I've actually lost about 5 pounds over these last 2-3 weeks! Its funny ever since I started working out again at the end of October I hadn't lost any weight. My stomach got smaller and my muscles got more defined, but my overall weight stayed about the same, I think I was just trading body fat for muscle. It was only when I started to really cut back on my portion sizes and the frequency of my meals recently that I lost overall weight. When I started exercising in November I was 272-273 pounds and totally out of shape, now I'm almost exactly 267 pounds and that's with the muscle I've gained. My ideal weight is somewhere around 200-220 pounds so I'm slowly making progress towards my goal. I hope to hit that range before the end of 2017.

Also I've increased my walking time to 17:30. I may try to up my row distance to 700m by the end of the month as well.

Also my right elbow feels great and no longer gives me sharp pain when I do bicep and tricep exercises, my back/shoulder is no longer getting super tight when I do exercises, my wrists also no longer hurt and my knee is feeling much stronger although I'm still careful with it. I'm riddled with sports injuries, but they seem to be getting better lol. I love this feeling of not having pain and being stronger.

7. BlackBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    My knee kinda sucks so I'm taking it easy there. I may try the kettle bell when I look it up, but I have to be careful when I'm doing squats especially squats with extra weight. In a way when I do the row machine I'm doing light squats. Dead lift probably is not gonna happen for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the advice!

8. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I do squats, play typeracer while listening to badass workout music. Wow, I think that is not enough to reach the apex -.-

BlackBlade likes this.
  9. Panda-emic

Panda-emic • ♡ • Notaborax's Eternally Gone Waifu • ♡ •

Reading List:
    Link
    Every time I feel like exercising, I lie down until the feeling goes away.

I'm actually trying to lose muscles, so I jog for 1-2 hours every second night and do arm and ab workout every other night.

10. BlackBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually just went from 267 to 264.7 over about 3-4 days. What is this witchcraft!? Pretty sure I shouldn't be losing weight faster than 2 pounds per week..

11. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not that strange at all, especially when you weigh on the heavier side, it's a lot easier to lose a few pounds when you're 250 + as compared to when you're 150.

12. BlackBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose that makes sense. I should be happy it's coming off so fast and not worry too much. I mean I did just get bloodwork done so I should be okay. Also I'm like 192 cm tall, so I'm not a balloon like the guy in OEM or the kitchen fatties in ATTE/AWE lol. Before November I was definitely heading in that direction though.

13. Abox

Abox ☆Havek's Lil' Kitten☆ {Rea's Slave} |Bielt's Wife|

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I usually don't do much, just around 100 miles of biking on the weekends and a 10km jog on weekdays

BlackBlade likes this.
  14. BlackBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you being sarcastic? That amount of running and biking is amazing!

15. RickyTheKind

RickyTheKind 『Isekai Pending』

Reading List:
    Link
    wow... I can only about 5% on what your saying dude... .

BlackBlade likes this.
  16. BlackBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Down to 263 now, I've lost about 8 pounds since the start of this year. If I can put together 4 or 5 months like this I will almost be at my ideal weight. I tweaked my ribs at the end of my work out last week. I was doing chest press machine when the area under the bottom of my left ribs started hurting. I actually finished my set like an idiot, but it stopped hurting a few days later, however I haven't been to the gym since. I'll try to get over there this morning. Overall happy with my progress, not only am I skinnier but Im starting to have some good muscle tone. I'm planning to increase the weights I'm using starting February. I think increasing my weight limit and time limit on endurance machines once per month is a nice easy pace that shouldn't get me injured.

17. BlackBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    I went back up to 266 this weekend. Didn't workout and ate a lot of cake and icecream (relatives visited and had a birthday celebration for one of them). Good news is with the new month I've increased all my weights at the gym, I'm doing 700m of rowing now, and I increased the pace a bit on the treadmill leading to me walking a full mile today. Gonna take me about a week to lose the pounds I gained back though sadly.

Also I've been working out for a bit over 3 months now, so that's cool. The longer I keep it up the bigger the benefits I'll receive (i hope!).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  18. Pleasefilter

Pleasefilter Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You'll find that short term gains and losses of +/- 5 pounds will happen by the week and depend mostly on your diet, because that's all water weight from sodium and carbohydrate intake increases, which working out won't change much outside of helping you sweat. Even if you didn't work out but lowered your salt and carb content in your meals you'd shed it over the next week. Hormones can cause you to retain some water too. Your 2 pounds per week estimate is correct, that's the healthy average limit, and you're likely still burning fat away and changing it to muscle even as you technically gain a bit of weight from the water. Keep it up.

19. BlackBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! Yes the first 2 months of training I noticed I was getting a little skinnier and my muscles a bit larger even though my weight didn't change at all, so I wasn't too discouraged. It was only in January when I started eating a lot less that I quickly dropped pounds. Thus, I think you're right about the weight loss being mostly related to diet. However gaining muscle rev's up the metabolism and increases the bodies daily calorie needs too right? So if someone maintained their previous diet but started working out I think they should lose some weight.

I've heard that it's hard to lose weight and gain muscle at the same time, aka cutting and bulking simultaneously. But since I'm somewhat overweight I think I should be able to do that until my weight gets to 200-220ish range. I'm looking to lose something like 3 pounds of fat and gain 1 pound of muscle per week.

20. Cryotic

Cryotic Nora's Psychic◈Nora's Silly Wife◈春雷◈暗いよ

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh... I walk a lot otw to work... At least its smth... Oh.. Been doing some plankings too.. Tho my tolerance for it is low for now..

BlackBlade likes this.