Discussion WTA: Voting requests from a certain novel site

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Spiritsong, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *read first page*

*read second page*

*read third page*

:facepalm: *facepalm so hard she injures her forehead*

I don't regularly visit QI, my visits are all on QI website's mobile mode which restricts some features one normally sees on desktop mode. As such, this voting thing is news to me. It's news regarding novels. Novels with the translators and readers who visits this forum.

By all means, if it's news it should be posted. If it's a spam, just report it so I can check and merge the spam or take actions against the user who spam. Just because you don't see staffs online, does not mean we're not around. I, for one is someone who most of the time lurks in the back ground.

So use the report link on the post. Thanks.

P/s: I'm not closing this thread for now since it's amusing and as someone has said on page 2, it's something that generates discussion. Emphasize on 'for now'.

2. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Shrugs*

The same reply I'm going to say.

Zhou Qi Fatt Tat, Chee Qi Lei Qi Mat?
    (Those who are in know earlier, they turn rich. Those who know later, what do they know?)

If some people knew GT were colluding with QI, just that rep in itself would have warranted enough emotional responses. Or, rather, I would rephrase if people KNEW in advance that GT would end up being with QI, they would have put up similar emotions in responses.

Before you accuse people to read (or don't), please go and inspect your eyesight and reading comprehension. If you're not reading answers to your liking, don't accuse people of not reading. Oh yeah, I'm accusing you of not reading just because my answer is not to your liking.

3. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, QI blocks mobile visitors from visiting their forum ? And so, QI readers have to post QI threads in NU for better coverage ?

Well then, that should have been explained as the disclaimer, in the first post of this thread !

4. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    @Spiritsong All i know is equality should be for everyone whether i like the translation group or not, and i agree qidian did a lot of fucked up stuff, but it doesn't mean i can be good to wuxiaworld and bad to qidian when both do the same thing, like you say qidian has their own forum, but then why do wuxiaworld advertise their new novel on here or @etvolare does that? Coz this is not a personal forum of a single group but a forum for all kinds of novel translations scene, i am pretty sure NU was made on that basis by @Tony so he can have all the updates together so he can read it easily, and so this is a community not for a single group a personal forum of wuxiaworld or qidian, but for the whole novel translation reading community and so i think that post deserves to be here

I wasn't sure if it did that but when i went to their mobile site, i was able to go to the forum from them mobile site itself ...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    mir, runsing and Wujigege like this.
  5. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    See, you are involving your feelings when talking about this. You don't like Qi, sure, nobody cares, but you can't stop them from doing what other parties can do. It's never a good thing to follow your feelings. It's called double standard. Idgaf about my answers not to your liking. You're a retard and you need to stop.

You have zero rights to stop a certain group doing what others can just because you dislike them, hell this isn't even your forum. You're insignificant piece of shit who's so entitled and dumb for only knowing how to speak bullshit.

If you don't like Qi, just fuck off. This is a public forum. You can't decide what happened here.

Wujigege, lonelytree and Khaossaga like this.
  6. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    While i agree with what you said that allowing a group and disallowing another group for doing the same thing due to personal feelings is childish, but not the abusive words .... :(

7. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    > some features
    > blocks mobile visitors

Genius.

8. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    No? What makes you say that? It's just a matter of switching to desktop mode. And visiting or not is matter of preference and willingness.

http://forum.webnovel.com <~~ up to you or anyone else to click it or not.

There is no explicit rule that says QI readers cannot post on NUF. If they want to discuss it in this forum, do so as long as it doesn't break the rules and guidelines in the forum.

Jaikteis and Pizz0011 like this.
  9. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw the forum can be accessed from the mobile site itself, no need to switch to desktop mode ....

10. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well then, "Novel Election" threads should be moved to Novel Pickup Request
    OR
    @Tony should make a section for "Novel Election", where LNMTL, Qidian, and other users can post threads urging NU users to vote for adopting their novel of choice.

Note that, this is vastly different from announcing the actual adoption of a new novel !!!

11. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    I know. I'm some of the first users to access it when it's finally opened for public. Who said anything about forum? My post before this mentioned website, not forum site. It's just a misunderstanding of @Wing0 who misinterpreted my post. Read it wholly before jumping to conclusions and twisting my words, thanks <~~ that line is not towards you, @Rule71 but towards the user *points to the other mentioned user* who misinterpreted my post and caused further misunderstanding.

No.

lonelytree likes this.
  12. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know, I would really love to include certain things.

But then... I'm not sure where does this perception of being 'pro-WW anti-QI' coming from, because last I checked, I don't sit well with neither the pro-Qi and pro-WW crowd. Like literally.

To be very spesific, i'm not going against any of the sites. However, if you look at say "please vote for this novel" (which is the crux of the opening post I've made), its not going to end any soon. That is what I would infer. There are going to be more (unless the supply of novels to be translated has actually exhausted). What I've been asking is

1) is this okay?
    2) would it have been better to place all of these "vote for these novels" at another section?

To be fair, I've never talked about point 2, except touching it on my first post, and agreeing with another poster that it should be out of sight, out of mind. But since you raised the idea of space again, I think I should at least point out that

1) let's say the general discussion is going to be bombarded with "please vote for xxyyzz", the way I look it, its the same as putting that thread into "should this be in the request section or not" (to me, it sounds like it fits there), only that that section is a request segment for independent translators that are not affliated with any corps to look up to and feel if a project is worth picking up. What these "vote for these novels" are doing, is intrinsictly soliciting attention to perform a vote.

I think there is a need to repeat this. I have no qualms about that. After all, I think people should ask, and people should do that if they feel that if that increases releases, speeds up things, etc. It is within the rights and privileges. I am not questioning the act. I'm questioning the purposes, and where.

I believe that the other website never had a forum before. So of course, its normal to go to places where there are forumers, and ask "hey, vote for this, vote for that". Its normal. Now that they have their own, that changes things somewhat.

In regards to groups, if I want to name, I would. Even the group i'm affliated with (again, disclaimer, I'm still affliated with WuxiaNationTL as an off and on editor), gets flak for posting these kind of things, and I would acknowledge some should, some wouldn't (but I'll still stick up for the group from time to time, unless it goes against what I personally adhere to, so I take one for team, even if its silly to do so). To be very spesific, there are some examples (again, using WuxiaNationTL) where I'm sure some people remember that the group made the announcements (remember that https announcement, for example?), and people responded in not so kind manner. It happens. However, in the case of "vote for these novels", its not going to be a one time, and done and dusted and left to die in some recess area. It will re-occur. This person is going to ask to vote for this, that person is going to ask to vote for that, and it will be there for quite some time because I don't see any exhaustion of novels to be translated, yet. You got a pool, but only select few. Those weeded out will want to come back for more, because those who enjoyed the novels would want it to be pushed (for faster translations, etc, etc etc) into the limelight. That is understandable. I think you and I could relate to that.

However, is it necessary to put up with those? Sure, a lot of forumers suggested very nicely "just ignore". Click their names, then click ignore. It IS simple to do that, but it is not the permanent solution. To simply "ignore" somebody just because of "vote for this novel" without taking into consideration of the overall poster's posts (something that can be seen if you take the extra 2-3 steps to click) would eventually end up into an awkward self-isolation, because the person who ignored may have overlooked the detail that it was just a one time moment request. However, if few ask at the same time, you're gonna get a clogged page with "vote for this" threads, merged or unmerged. That is why I asked, if that is fine. Some people just see me posting and say "omg another QI hater", (obviously that I dislike more than Qi, but that's another topic), but I'm not asking for complete ban (which will be weird, because I've not asked for such things, construed or misconstrued). All I'm asking, is it fine, or not, and even went along with the thoughts "let's say its fine" since few insisted its fine as it is, what happens next.

Point noted on feelings, but I'm not in the mood to step on as many toes as possible. I don't derive joy from being a masochist withth the mentality of "one against the entire world siege mentality". I sure don't. However, I don't feel uncomfortable with these posts popping up, perhaps if they were categorized in another corner, probably, but another forumer has insisted 'its fine as it is'. So I moved on with other questions.

To you, in your words, I may be a retard, so in kind, but to me, you're just another white knight faggot who thinks just because I slate Qi I must be some hypocrite that doesn't slate other groups (oh boy, I don't want to even talk to that past, because I'm not a masochist) . So yeah, the feeling is mutual. You are most welcome to agree to disagree here. In your own words, I don't give two hoots how you feel about me.

So let's have it that its fine as it is, we can have as many 'vote for this' requests in novels general section, and its done and dusted. Am I correct on this? If so, how do I lock it, since its pointless to discuss, if a decision by the higher ups has already been made? A forum is not a democracy after all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2017
    Wing0 likes this.
  13. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been 3 pages, and despite what other posters has said regarding this matter, you keep letting your hate for anything Qidian related to cloud your mind instead of taking a step back and see that this is a novel forum.

As I have said, it's a novel forum. It's a forum visited by translators, editors, groups and readers. It's a forum with discussions regarding novels.

If you think it's a spam, report it and the staff will take actions. If you have a problem with it, explain it in the report or contact the staff through PM, not making a thread to rally up all the other haters and create a hate thread.

As requested by OP, this thread is now locked. Not. Summon @Westeller

Remember, good children. Don't drink and post.

14. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    @Spiritsong while i am not against the thread being in a special forum for it, but i also don't think that it doesn't exist in the general forum, imo both of those are valid, what i disagree is the statement that those threads do not deserve to be on NUF and should solely be on their own personal forum

lonelytree, Wujigege and LaDyViL like this.
  15. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i hate to say but, forget the voting bit people are now moaning about qi's ad's here and not on the qi site forums where their techs are
    that just shows that this comment about voting is a fair one as this isn't qi's bloody forums it's NU's forums , I could understand asking about that type of stuff before QI had their own forums as I had to and that was before they released their own forum, but they now have their own so why still ask here

16. gorlax

gorlax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Atleast just post 1 thread for it
    This is like virus pop u0 evwrywhere like bad ads
    Its same site why the need make alot of thread for it and staff need merge it i think

17. Chupchup

Chupchup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude.. keep it civil... LOL. why get mad over his simple rant/request. That's like him getting pissed over 2 vote threads. Both overreacting =)

18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly think you should just ignore it... Not like clicking the "ignore button", but simply by paying it no heed... I mean, sure, it's a bother to see one comment/thread you dislike, but you learn to ignore it after a while.

19. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was using brick and mortar stores as an analogy, I wasn't literally talking about stores. Xiaomi's business model is definitely interesting, and I'm sure it will cause changes in a lot of other industries, but foregoing traditional advertising is still unusual, it's definitely not standard practice in the publishing industry. The rest of your points are addressed below.

What countries are we talking about here? I admittedly don't know much about the publishing industry in China, but in the US and Japan, advertising is still a huge part of a publisher's job. The author tends to play a bigger role these days than they did in the past, mostly through social media, but at least for major publishers most of the marketing is still handled by the publisher. As for unknown authors, look at the bestsellers lists such as this one, you'll find a lot of previously-unknown authors there, most of them being promoted through traditional marketing. Publisher advertising is even more prominent in Japan, with brick and mortar stores still being somewhat relevant there (though perhaps not for much longer) and magazines being more popular. It's normal to see stores have exclusive special editions or bonuses to promote buying books/manga through them for example, and you see advertisements for an author's first novel all the time (a lot of the time it's the winner of a contest, but that's just another way of confirming the quality before deciding to publish, not inherently different from reading a manuscript).

And large publishers do take a lot of risks with authors, it's perfectly normal for 50-80% of a publisher's books to lose money in both the US and Japan. They make up for it with the few books that end up being massively popular. It's important for that reason to have a lot of authors, including unknown authors, just in case one of them ends up selling a lot more copies than expected.

All of this is starting to change (at least in the US), with the sales figures for the major publishers starting to go down likely because of ebooks shifting the focus more towards established authors, but that's not necessarily a permanent trend, there are plenty of plausible business models that bring more attention back to unknown authors and making them worth advertising.

AliceShiki and Wujigege like this.
  20. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people like reading novels on some websites but don't visit the forums there. But they do come to the forum here. For example there's the wuxiaworld forum. I love the novels there and am reading the majority of them. But I don't go to the forum or pay attention to announcements tbh.

If they were doing any promotions with novels I might not know from the website itself. But if they created a thread here then I'm most likely to see it and take part~

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.