Discussion Xianxia and religion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jbnitro, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbnitro

jbnitro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi everyone! I'm a newbie at writing threads so please don't blame me if I posted in the wrong section.
    I just wanted to know your views on religion in Xianxia.
    I know Xianxia are strictly related to Taoism and chinese folklore, but in many novels of the same genre, Buddhism and other religions (Christianity included) are highly spurned and belittled as hypocritical and evil.
    Is it just a plot device to make enemies out of monks and priests so that the MC can find some new opponents, or is it really a thing in Chinese culture to view other religions so badly?

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    uh...that's all cultures in general. Your own religion has to be the "right" one, so anything else is alien and wrong.

3. Sh1r0r3n

Sh1r0r3n New Year and still a workaholic

Reading List:
    Link
    Lithit and yonna like this.
  4. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a plot device and all religions belittle others.
    Because they believe theirs is the right one

5. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    In xianxa the goal is to become an existence akin to god. Of course religous would be 'evil' 'fake' or overall not taken seriously, in xianxa religion basically means "x strong person set up a religion cos faith energy" so its nothing more than a plot device, also the whole spiritualism thing fits in a lot better than "love thy neighbour" so i hope that answers your question.
    Oh yeah and anyone that believes in a religon automatically hates all other religions saying his is the only true one while the rest are fake.

Falhrus and jbnitro like this.
  6. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    Even God can killed or defated and you talking about religion ...........................................

7. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just think of jesus as a cultivator that ascended to the upper realms, and his teachings of mortality are still followed today.

Higher level cultivators are viewed as living gods, and there are organisations in many xainxia novel that build the worship of a single individual.

Duwei, Falhrus and jbnitro like this.
  8. jbnitro

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that makes sense as in so many Xianxia there isn't a Creator or an absolute existence ruling over order and chaos.
    But it kinda pisses me off when this stereotype about evil religions is used as a cliche and narration trope. Sigh

9. Dyone

Dyone [Ice cream] [awkward duck] [Yonyon]

Reading List:
    Link
    They simply think they themselves are right, and think other people are scammers. At the same time, if the god makes his appearance, it is just another cultivator, so that means they lied, and thus it is also hard to discern who is speaking the truth due the billions of self-proclaimed gods that have existed.

Deleted member 49089 and jbnitro like this.
  10. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when is Christianity ever portrayed as evil in cultivator novels? I can only think of coiling dragon, but the Church is an easy enemy to write in many novels, very common in english.

Versions of Christianity is vilified in pretty much every fantasy novel regardless of language.

jbnitro likes this.
  11. jbnitro

Reading List:
    Link
    That's kinda what makes a Xianxia a Xianxia, I guess.
    But still, is there a concept of politically correct of some sort in China?
    I mean with all that state run censorship, why is it that bashing other religions on media and web novels is ok with Chinese people, while satirizing about politics is taboo??

12. yonna

yonna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its mostly because they think that what they belive in is right and what others belive in is wrong it baciacely the same with every relegion

13. yonna

yonna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    my mother tounge is not English so I don't understand what you are sayin in simple words it means....?

14. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nailed it. /thread

jbnitro likes this.
  15. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy shit, I never thought of it this way. Goddamn Jesus, milking dat faith energy
    [​IMG]

jbnitro and yonna like this.
  16. jbnitro

Reading List:
    Link
    Well it's true that in many scenarios Christianism is very arguable about their conduct, especially in history and society, but using the Church as a plot device is kinda cheap imo.
    well I'm atheist so I don't really care but what I'm concerned about is the popularity of xianxia in China. Given that the average audience is made of teenagers and young adults, all the fucked up set of values in Xianxia kinda bothers me eh

17. tearteto

tearteto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because any other organisation that exists besides yours, religious or not is also another place for useful resources to be sent to; instead of yours. Furthermore the whole there are bad people in the church is only due to a lack of criminal deterrence and nepotist - influenced power abuse. They do it because they can do it with little repercussion. This is alien to us because we've had the criminal system in place since we were born and that's all we know. They do not.
    Plus only the bad characters make plot devices; you don't need to know about 1000 good clerics if there's some bishop purchasing slaves for pleasure and abusing them; especially when the bishop could slaughter the clerics in a blink of an eye without facing any consequences as long as he/she proves / lies / frames them for insubordination or another BS reason.
    The existence of power changes the value of people and subsequently their values.

jbnitro likes this.
  18. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    really? just the evil religions? lol, xianxia has worse flaws. Sexism, racism, and worst of all, poor writing.

Tovarisch and Ai chan like this.
  19. yonna

yonna Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    absolutely god the haerem I hate it not jst in novels in mangas and anime too :/

20. fsmreyiz

fsmreyiz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well i didn't see anything about holy fsm yet, and our religion doesn't care about the "right". if u r reading a xianxia with a beer, congratulations, u r one of us.

jbnitro likes this.
  21. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Politically Correct is how we describe being deliberately inoffensive. Even if the stereotype is backed by statistics or logic, it's not "politically correct" to say anything derogatory about a race, religion, or any "group" of people, as a democratic politicians goal is to make as many people vote for them as possible. The last 20 years or so especially, American culture has been obsessed with not offending anyone ever no matter what, with a lot of social pressure for everyone to be politically correct all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.