Recommendations Xianxia Therapy

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Dragon God, Jan 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dragon God

Dragon God {King of Peasants} {Tanya's Husbando}

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm xianxia phobic. I don't really know why(it started after reading Coiling Dragon, prior I was enthusiastic to read Xianxia after reading the Manhua of Battle Through the Heavens, Combat Continent, Tales of Demons and Gods, etc) , I just know that I instinctively shy away from anything Xianxia. As such I barely ever touch Chinese novels. Only a few (like Release that Witch that wasn't Xianxia)

I hate some things about xianxia.

I hate the revenge plots. But then I read and loved Japanese novels like Rakuin no Monshou of which Revenge is a key part.

I hate the senseless slaughter, but yet Dantalian is one of my top 3 favourite characters.

I hate the arrogance yet Akashi is my favourite character.

I dislike the power trips but I'm okay with it in Japanese novels.

To be fair, maybe setting also has a factor? I don't read Japanese novels set in medieval Japan. I stick to medieval European settings.

Things I'm okay with outside Xianxia, I can't stand in Xianxia. I dropped Coiling Dragon during the revenge arc.

I have a problem, and I want to cure it. Previously I was okay with just avoiding Xianxia altogether, but most of the answers to my recommendation requests were Xianxia. My phobia wasn't letting me enjoy otherwise wonderful novels. I want to cure it, and start reading and enjoying Xianxia.

I'd like recommendations to ease me into Xianxia. An order I guess. Start with one and progress?

They should start of less Xianxiaish? Preferably European setting as opposed to Chinese(I'm a Jap fag yet still hesitate to read non European fantasy settings).

MCs that suit my preference? (I forgive genocide if it's a rational choice and love intelligent rational mcs)

I'd like help with my therapy to cure my Xianxia phobia.

2. Lokumi

Lokumi 『The second greatest trash of society』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure is it's a xianxia, but it is similar : Warlock of the Magus World
    Slow start (most people think the start is not good, I liked it though): I Shall Seal the Heavens
    Slow paced, but really well written: A Record of a Mortal’s Journey to Immortality
    Same as above: Ze Tian Ji
    World of Cultivation is also a really good one
    P.S I think Warlock of the Magus World is the one you want, but don't except romance, the MC is intelligent and cold-blooded but don't go on killing-spree without reason, he is someone "practical", when he do something it's for his own benefit and the world is not a chinese world (If I remember correctly our MC is not even a "chinese man")
    Edit, I'm ashamed, I forgot to mention the masterpiece above all: Invisible Dragon

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  3. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Then specifically say in your other many recommendation threads that you don't want xianxia

Pretender and ChairryPie like this.
  4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    go read some sci-fi xianxia(the one made into futuristic setting).....it's should do you good.....

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm Hui Tai Lang, it's sorta xianxia, but it's mostly not. Shameless advertising on my part.
    Wolf MC

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. fuuton

fuuton Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    pretty sure everything u mentioned is xuanhuan lol

9. jkmessah

jkmessah WoC, GoR and TGS enthusiast!

Reading List:
    Link
    ninish likes this.
  10. Exterial

Exterial @pocketbear ,much oneesama, very friendly, kawaii.

Reading List:
    Link
    ISSTH. Doesnt have many revege arcs in it and there isnt as much mindless slaughter in it, the mc is calm and collected just like you want.

11. xlefr7

xlefr7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you sure your problem isn't with stories with bad character developments?

edit: pluralized story

ninish likes this.
  12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try 'the Legendary Masters Wife', it has cultivation and alchemy, the MC is not arrogant or wishes revenge.

13. Exterial

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it extremely hard to get into, especially with the fact that its hard to read due to the translation having a bunch of chinese words in it. I wouldnt EVER recommend workd of cultivation to ANYONE that is looking to get into xianxas.

14. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    because recomendation threads need a ISSTH mention out of obligation at this point

AMissingLinguist and ln_ like this.
  15. Exterial

Reading List:
    Link
    Its just that good not to mention it fits perfectly with what he asked for.

Rreelentless likes this.
  16. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Em_Rez

Em_Rez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm exactly like you. I'm sick of the typical xianxia shit. If you still want to stick to the same general genre, read World of Cultivation and Ze Tian Ji. They are vastly better written than any other xianxia and have actual characters with personalities, and the plots aren't just driven by "hurr durr must get revenge must slaughter all of them hurr durr arrogant young master." Each's mc aren't arrogant shit heads either. But most importantly, each MC's goal is NOT to gain power. Gaining power is just a means for different goals for both of them. This is what I love about them, it's not just "hurr durr must be stronger for revenge or whatever." (Btw, I saw ppl recommending ISSTH. If you're sick of xianxia, you won't like it, especially after 100 chaps. The first 100 chaps are really good though but then it just gets annoying and repetitive)

Otherwise, I would suggest go in a different direction. I surprised myself by really liking fluffy, female mc type novels. Some of my favorite are Tensei Oujo, Kenkyo, I'll live my second life, destruction flag otome

Sometimes female mc xianxia can be refreshing as well. However, beware, some of them can quickly get repetitive and are like clones of each other just like the rest of xianxia. Here are the best ones though that mostly aren't like that: My Disciple Died Yet Again (this one doesn't get repetitive and is very unique), Genius Doctor Black Belly Miss

18. ninish

ninish ✿Fujoshi✿ [#224~] [Dʀᴀɢᴏɴɪsᴛ] [Lᴜʀᴋᴇʀ Lᴇᴇᴄʜ]

Reading List:
    Link
    i second @mrezman on all of his recommendations.

you should start with http://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-disciple-died-yet-again/ which is basically a parody of xianxias. it will make you laugh at the things you said you hate. all of the troupes are being taken down. weird harem, weird reincarnations, weird item cheats, weird blood lines, weird game settings, weird relationship, weird master... and yes weird disciple.

then you could go with series like Douluo Dalu where side characters feel like real people that can exist somewhere and not just paper props that are to be destroyed as soon as it rains.

then there's World of Cultivation and Ze Tian Ji, or Demon's Diary.

19. Crow3r

Crow3r Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes i have similiar problem, nowdays i read only Doom Lord and The Dark King. in the past i followed CD when there was only 20 or so chapters and many more like ISSH i still like to read ISSH but only some arc like when he was trying Alchemy or i just reread some epick moments from novels, tbh i gotta bored from chineese style arcs when repetition is hight my sickenes begin with MGA, still i enjoy first two or three arcs from each chinese novel then i usally drops them. [i was silent lurker in the past onll few days ago i made acc on nuf]

20. ln_

ln_ All hail Master Roshi

Reading List:
    Link