Recommendations YA series or Book with Telekinesis/Xmen ish vibes/powers

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by chopin124, Jul 28, 2017.

1. chopin124

chopin124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically I'm interested in how powers are usually describe and how battle scenes might play out.
    I also would like to learn about the ways novelists/authors introduce their world as I'm
    in the stuck at chapter 1 phase of writing... -.-

My 2 years of reading stuff on NU has sort of... distorted the way I think of things... On the one hand, I enjoy reading OPness because it's a power fantasy... but I hate writing about it because it's... actually quite boring and reading OP Mcs is junkfood so I'm looking for something more filling xD
    So basically I'm looking for a series or book that's about superpowers, any theme will do but in your opinion is quite good :)

Currently reading:
    • One by Leigh-Anne Kopans
    • Bodyguard series by Chris Bradford
    Rereading:
    • Young Samurai Series by Chris Bradford
    • Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz
    • Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer
    • Mirror Dreams by Catherine Webb
    So Young Adult books because they're shorter than fantasy, a little quicker paced than deep scifi and also the 'style'/Genre I want to (try) and write in. :)
    Would appreciate your recommendations :D

2. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    brandon sanderson's work such as the mistborn series
    this is a hard fantasy type of story
    hard fantasy is a type of fantasy that has clearly defined rules for their magic and the author operates within those rules.

chopin124 likes this.
  3. UncommittedTranslations

UncommittedTranslations Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Was Made the Disciple of a Yandere Girl, But
    Shameless self-advertisement. MC has basically telekinesis as his power. Only problem is he's slightly OP. Not exactly YA series either.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  4. Corner Guy

Corner Guy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, it's kinda superpower-ish even though it's called magic. I highly recommend the Skullduggery Pleasent series by Derek Landy.

chopin124 likes this.
  5. pietothesky

pietothesky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok some mainline fiction would be the Wildcards series by George R. Martin. Though he only edits it, so it's written by other famous authors like Melinda Sodengrass and others.
    Try the pulp novel series "The Destroyer" for some fight scenes. Main character Remo Williams is like a super ninja hero.
    Worm webserial.
    Also another webnovel I read; can't remember the name. (Maybe one of you cool fellows could help me out?) The lead character was a businessman that runs a company for finding ways for superpowered characters to use their powers. He's ex-CIA, has a midget henchman. Put a brain implant in the equivalent of Doomsday (Called Cromag) which rigged it to filled with fear whenever it left his side. Also buried that worlds analog of superman in concrete so he couldn't regen from the sun. Man remembering that novel makes me so want to read it again. Please fellow novel update site peeps help me remember it's name! Maybe I should make another thread about it in retrospect.

Cheers on your novel works friend.

chopin124 likes this.
  6. kkchaitu

kkchaitu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Checkout Sanderson’s Reckoners series. It should be close to what you are interested in. Also Kevin Hardman’s series - forgot the name but it is also similar.

chopin124 likes this.
  7. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the magic system that is used Blake Charlton 'SpellWright' series. The magic is preformed by writing the spell runes in your body and depending on the school, determines the parts i.e. air magic uses the lungs and heart.

chopin124 likes this.
  8. RedSmith

RedSmith Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Darkest Mind series by Alexandra Bracken
    The Young Elites series by Marie Lu
    The Reckoners series by Brandon Sanderson
    Maximum Rides series by James Patterson
    The Ability series by M.M. Vaughan

These are the books I've read

chopin124 likes this.
  9. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing stories with OP protagonists are easy. You do one of these.

1. Get caught up in an idea so much you don't realize how shit it is.

2. Wish fulfillment. You place yourself in the shoes of the protagonist.

3. Event driven. Your MC is secondary. The things going around him are what is important to the story.

4. Sadism. You balance the OPness out by throwing tons of misfortune onto the protagonist.

10. tenguu

tenguu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shade's Children by Garth Nix is the first thing that comes to mind if limited to YA and superpowers. If your looking for some other good YA books, Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld or Monster Blood Tattoo series by D.M. Cornish might be good choices (Monster Blood Tattoo series in particular since it does have characters that use powers). As was mentioned above Sanderson does great job with creating interesting worlds and magic systems though his novels always leave me feeling a bit detached from the characters and story (Mistborn series in particular has a very power like system).

Edit: Just remembered nother YA series with mutants with powers, Dark Life series by Kat Falls.

chopin124 likes this.
  11. chopin124

Reading List:
    Link
    Thankee for the suggestions!! :D :D

12. chopin124

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha but isn't the sadism usually more at the reader than the protag in JP novels? In KR novels because Protag is usually uninterested in the fawning ladies/men that they're surrounded by and CN novels because they tend to be a dick regardless of what happens? xD (I'm generalising off generic JP/CN/KR hearsay here xD)

I honestly think most OP stories could end: And so *insert OP MC here* gained the power to control the seven heavens and chose to wipe out his/her enemies with the flick of a dick *cough* (basically) Lived happily ever after for all time The End. xD

Though OP protags can be entertaining and a good reliever when shit gets too dark in the other more 'serious'/brooding/cynical prose xD

13. thialfi

thialfi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if you still want recommendations and this happens to be a webnovel, but Brennus by Tieshaunn seems to fit pretty well. At the very least it should be a good read even if it's not for research purposes. :)

14. chopin124

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommendations always welcome, still working through finding copies of the ones here and budgeting to accommodate, though webnovels I'm trying to avoid but it does seem interesting so thanks! :)

15. Privatejoker

Privatejoker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think I am number four would fit, its been a long time since ive read it though.