News Yuewen (Qidian) is being sued for reneging their contract with a Chinese Company

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lurker123456789, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiccups

Hiccups Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kun peng vs war elephant now on ppv

revenantone likes this.
  2. Wing0

Wing0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. 1amdude

1amdude Nakamatu Agraulek

Reading List:
    Link
  4. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the thing here is that Mi Gu is pushing for a $1.50 membership that allows readers to read every single book on their site. This might be paradise for readers, but what's going to happen to the authors if this happens? Every single reader is going to subscribe to Mi Gu and the authors will lose a huge chunk of their salary. When that happens, do you think the authors will continue writing? :cry:

Mi Gu is destroying the livelihood of authors and we have people celebrating in this thread. :cry:

Araska Mada and tamsok like this.
  5. tamsok

tamsok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good point, this is what I thought too. If qidan looses their reader base they authors suffers too. But I'm Ignorant on how this business works.

ongoingwhy likes this.
  6. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does QI author paid per view or per chapter? If it is per chapter, it should not impact the author

7. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's kind of complicated. Mi Gu had done promotions like this before, and it's kind of based on Kindle Unlimited, which lets you read 'unlimited' books and then pays the authors based on the actual books you end up reading (and how many pages you've read); in other words, the more chapters you read, the more the author gets paid. This was the plan for the 'Migu Unlimited' as well. It's not necessarily a bad business model for authors; I think I read somewhere that Amazon pays out like $200 million to authors from Kindle Unlimited.

Wing0, Kylarin, Shratath and 5 others like this.
  8. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    See my explanation below.

However, Mi Gu doesn't have a direct contract with the authors, right? The earnings have to be shared with the publishers as well.

That's true, but Qidian's payment model would pay more to the author with the same amount of views. The royalty they pay to the authors would already be calculated so that only a certain percentage out of the $9.90(per reader) will be paid out to the authors. Say, they estimated that the readers on average will complete 2 books per day, so they pay the authors $0.10 each time their books are read. (The actual calculation will probably factor in the words per book and assign different payouts.) Over a month, the authors will be paid $6(from a particular reader) and the rest will be taken in as profit by Kindle. Of course, if the reader fails to meet the estimated average, they'll take in the extra as their profit as well. In order for this business model to give a bigger earning to the authors, it will have to exceed their views on Qidian by several times. This might be easy for the famous authors, but it will be impossible for the lesser known ones.

I have to agree on this point. Authors(especially the lesser known ones) will receive bigger exposures, just like how it is in Spotify. (Even if they hate the payment model.)

9. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't know the math on this, so I don't know what would be a better or worse bargain. I know that I was told by Qidian in the past that they discovered that putting their content on other platforms did not actually detract from their own views, just exposed the content to more readers, but that's all verbal and not based on any particular publisher math that I saw.

10. Hishiron

Hishiron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I LOVE how you have been a member for almost 2 years, and your only post in that time is this one saying how much Qidian is assholes. :blobxd::blobxd::blobxd::blobxd:

11. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's what the reader is paying but not the company behind it ,
    they would pay a huge one off fee to qi for the rights / access ,
    don't confuse the two basicly it would have been a win/ win for qi if they didn't dick about and try to play dirty tricks
    as if they haddened they may have also picked up new readers as they could have offered a say 1/2 price deal to keep the new readers for a year etc after the deal finished with the other company finished, if they had played it right they could have made easy money but they were being their moronic self as normal

12. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not Qidian, but their parent company, Yuewen. I don't really understand why people always take things at face value. Yuewen is a huge company with a networth of 2 billion USD. Their decision making would naturally take into account factors that are not privy to us. Also, I personally believe most if not all large companies resort to "dirty tricks". That's how the world works.

http://www.p5w.net/weyt/201708/t20170809_1913585.htm
    也有观点认为,阅文本次断更不单单针对咪咕文学。咪咕以9.9元包月的方式争抢数字阅读流量入口,可以看成是进击的咪咕集团战略构成的一部分。阅文集团的根本目的,是要狙击咪咕文学的母公司咪咕文化的泛娱乐布局。​

Basically, some people are speculating that Yuewen is not only targetting Mi Gu Literature, but their parent company, Mi Gu Culture's "pan-entertainment" strategy.

13. 7aco

7aco Un-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't disagree with the comment about dirty tricks as that is how all big companies work i mean look at apple and google and other companies the way they hide their taxes etc
    and i agree once again with you comment about the pan-entertainment issue the reason why is that in this forum i when we had qi rep 1 with use and i was questioning him about the about on permissions needed he let slip they were trying to go for a cross media app like amazon's prime, but no matter what due to the problems caused by qi/ Yuewen and in fact their main owner Tentect , i wouldn't trust them in anything they say

15. Luneder

Luneder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this will probably end up all behind closed door settlements by Yuewen request so that no one will actually know how badly screwed they will get in hopes of saving face even though their face is already dirtier than a wild pigs rear end.

Wing0 likes this.
  16. Too Honest

Too Honest Creature of Repressed Desires

Reading List:
    Link
    Scorched Earth Policy... well... scorched books policy..

17. Kylarin

Kylarin Prinny

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha! Ohhh this is gold.
    This really needed more * DRAMA INTENSIFIES* memes, but oh well...
    [​IMG]

I mean we did know they were notorious for this kinda stuff, so... doesn't come as a suprise that they are being sued after breaking contract, yet again. :blobxd:
    Glorious timing tho. :blobsalute:

I doubt this'll be settled in courts tho, probably just out of courts settlements... more reason to pay attention to the news, I guess. :blobmelt:

18. CKtalon_TMW

CKtalon_TMW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Migu backed down. *yawn*

http://www.hkexnews.hk/listedco/listconews/SEHK/2018/0919/LTN20180919746.pdf

19. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
  20. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobsalute: <= is this blob for dab?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.