LCD Ze Tian Ji

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Saitama, Nov 13, 2015.

1. criticalmind

criticalmind Enter Chunni Name Here

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 614... An oddly appropriate phrase comes to mind.
    Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?

2. Alex Crimson

Alex Crimson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its pretty damn sexist. A running theme for most of the novel has been "the Divine Empress should abdicate because she is a woman". Whilst there are a lot of powerful girls, which is nice, it still doesnt avoid the classic Chinese culture of "women should be good little wives".

3. Dejebel

Dejebel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the opinion of in story characters not necessarily the authors + appropriate nearly everywhere in the world in this timeperiod

So what does the empress really want given that she is ccs biggest supporter till now?
    Did she ever not lie at least once when talking to someone else in so far?

4. Alex Crimson

Alex Crimson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whilst that is true regarding the time period, you still only ever see this kind of behaviour in Chinese novels. Same thing with people always caring about "face", being insanely filial towards parents and the way characters act "shamelessly". The story is always influenced by the writer. After reading novels from so many different countries and cultures, you cannot say that Zi Tian Ji isnt influenced by Chinese culture.

5. Dejebel

Reading List:
    Link
    since it is based on a medival chinese world I naturally don't think it isn't based on chinese culture quite the opposite in fact.
    My point is while characters in the story make sexist remarks the only sexist part in the story I can detect is that 3 girls easily(?) fell for CCS nearly on first sight especially Mo Yu.

Being filial is and was universal worldwide I would like to think
    "face" and "honor" are largely although not completely the same and exist in one form or another everywhere.
    I think there is a word for the missing part but I can't seem to remember and english is not my first language so if anyone can help me out please do so.

And being shameless is so common every language has a word for it.

But I do admit chinese novels are more vocal about it than others somtimes annoyingly so

More importanly is anyone else a bit disappointed that for CCS living and being happy means killing instead of literally anything else?
    Though I can't think of a better target than Zhou Tong.
    Mainly because I'm not sure about anyones position and opinion in this novel anymorem (anyone above 30 that is)

6. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    You are forgetting who are saying those things. We had no good people using this as an excuse to overthrow the Empress. And damn, in a novel with Xu Yourong and the Divine Empress you think we have sexism? One of them kicked the ass of a whole clan in a fit of rage and took the throne from the hands of a man, and the other is one of the most capable individuals we have in the story. The way I see it, it is actually criticizing sexists, just in a really subtle way (or not).

7. patcan3609

patcan3609 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As both Liron and Dejebel have stated, its the antagonists that are stating such things. Its not like CCS is sexist. Rather the existence of the Divine Empress and XYR contradicts sexism. Even characters like Wuqiong Bi are far from the classic female characters that sexist authors usually portray.

8. jodezaca

jodezaca Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm calling it. Yu Ren will die for his junior brother. And CCS will want revenge.

9. Dejebel

Reading List:
    Link
    dunno i don't think daoist ji would find such a person intelligent and outstanding

10. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow. Savage

11. bassa

bassa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont get her why does she want to be Empress when she doesn't care about the ppl at all she can let some chen to be emperor and she can continue to cultivate and be done with all, after all i dont see her getting any benefits in staying Empress

12. Liron

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, it is for annoying others I guess. And it is pretty much on the nose that she loves power. What is the point of being powerful if you can't have others do your bidding? I think her reasoning is like that. Plus, she has a history with the Imperial Clan and two Emperors, maybe there is pride and self satisfaction involved too (specially regarding Taizong, that loathed her).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  13. bassa

bassa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats true but she gets to all the meetings for development and so on for what reason when she clearly doesn care what happens to the ppl and nobody really likes her to begin with and i got the impression that when she reaches the next lv she wont be staying

14. Liron

Reading List:
    Link
    I think so too. She will most likely just go away and tell everyone to fuck off, just like Su Li did. Well, maybe she will kill those that annoyed her first, but those are just details.

15. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    A similar anecdote , actually happened in History with a different outcome tho xD
    According to Wu Zetiang (lhe only woman who has officially reigned China) account

16. Sancrea

Sancrea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously empress is such a piece of shit, being strong is one thing but killing everyone around her without care in the world despite being empress and them being her subjects, although in this situation she kills those form orthodoxy but by doing so she doesn't give any face to pope. And like ccs said she gave birth to him yet didn't do any goddamn thing in the world doing one favor before she kills him is something she ought to do.

Also to those who say that author is sexist, well remarks are sexist that i won't deny but you have to admit that ever since she ascended to throne she didn't try in the slightest to finish the war with demons or do something productive which could be felt by all. However people in novel attribute that to her being woman while the truth is that she is just a piece of crap characters (as in personality).

17. Dejebel

Reading List:
    Link
    well we know ccs is going to survive

And I feel the majority of her lines in the novel were her lying to others (maybe excluding these few chapters maybe not)

She's also beloved by the commoners of her empire so she is doing good

Almost everyone of influence in the capital is looking down on her the most powerful person in the world though it seems

One of her few lines I'm certain about not being a lie is her being conflicted about what to do about ccs

18. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    Where do you get that she's beloved by the commoners tho?
    Based on all the innocent people Zhou Tong has killed throughout his career. I don't think the people loves her , while is true that Zhou Tong doesn't equal the Empress' wishes , it's also true that he's her dog. The Empress has also killed a lot , just the massacre in the Orthodoxy , all those teachers and students had families. The Empress has not been a good ruler.

Even then i don't blame her much , it's difficult to rule when people doesn't want to follow you , you can only resort to rule through intimidation , fear. Which makes your future options narrower , for example people criticize that she doesn't do anything with the demons ,as i see she may not have the freedom to do so, if she were to fight the Demon Lord and gets hurt , we've seen may people that would take the opportunity for a cop d'estat (in the south and in the north and even in the capital, and perhaps even on the other side of the red river) now if she were to get rid of everyone as she says , she would end up crippling humanity's strength. She has enemies in all sides, she literally needs more friends xD

As for if Ze Tian Ji is sexist? imho no, we've not seen sexist comments on the narrative and i'd honestly find it unrealistic if everyone were ok with a woman ruling , not that is bad , just that in that period of time and even now , there has always been intolerant and chauvinist people , doesn't mean that everyone is like that.

When i think a novel is sexist is when the mc keeps sexually harassing the heroines , and it is somehow ok , or when they lose their own spinions when they get in mc's harem. We've seen that even though Xu Youron has fallen for mc , she's still quite strong-headed and has her own opinions that might diverge from CCS'. As someone said before me the most sexist thing i find about the novel is that 4 beautiful girls (1 dragon) have fallen for the mc , tho i let it pass coz they are still their own characters , and some of them may just find him interesting , coz he's interesting.

Well that's my view of things.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  19. Dejebel

Reading List:
    Link
    It was mentioned a few chapters back i think don't know which one though beloved was propably too strong a word

and zhou tong kills important people not farmers in the countryside and the number of innocents is propably smaller than anyone would like it to be (as bad as that sounds)

20. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    Commoners shouldn't even care much about who's ruling tho , they only care about putting food on their tables.And well she's a saint , the divine phoanix and one of the most beautiful women of the world , it's easy to have awe towards such a figure , love i don't think. I wouldn't at least if were them.

Zhou Tong is ,well , a dog. The problem is that he takes too many liberties without his owner permission. As for if has killed more scumbags than innocents , i don't know but most of the people still hates him or fears him.