Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    The third anthology, Winter Lilies, is now posting! Read it here on Scribble Hub: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/679602/winter-lilies-a-yuri-garden-anthology/
    Or here on NUF: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/winter-lilies-a-yuri-garden-anthology.160777/

A place to discuss yuri and all things f/f~!

This is the yuri counterpart to the Danmei Room. Here, you can discuss your favourite yuri works, talk about your own, search out more yuri, or simply bask in the glory of women loving women~!

Note: Although this is the Yuri Garden and I use the term "yuri" for simplicity, all women x women media is welcome here, regardless of what subdivision it belongs to.
    The Yuri Garden also includes yuri genderbender and yuri futanari (futanari x futanari and futanari x woman).
    Yuri involving trans women is very much welcome here!

Rules:
    1. No hijacking the thread. We're here to share our love of yuri.
    That means this isn't a place to start the "Yuri vs Yaoi" debate, share your opinions on how much "purer" f/f is than m/m, or even vent your hatred of yuri. Stay pleasant, stay present, stay on topic.

2. No homophobia. It's very counterproductive here.

3. No transphobia. It feels like every time women are mentioned on this forum, the thread degenerates into this.
    Don't throw around slurs and, if you're going to discuss crossdressers for some reason, please ensure that the person you're discussing is in fact a crossdresser.

Helpful Links:
    • The Yuri Garden's Recommendation Directory - Once a list of every piece of GL media mentioned in the Garden. It's out of date and due to be replaced soon, but still hosts a sizable list of yuri resources.
    • Directory of Dropped Yuri and Yuri Pick-Up Requests - A resource for yuri translators to help them choose novels that people are interested in. Out of date, but to be updated shortly.
    • The Yuri Writing Help Room - A thread run by Moonpearl over on Scribble Hub Forums (NUF's sister site) where you can ask for everything from advice on writing sex scenes to feedback on your story in general.
    • The Yuri and Shoujo Ai tags - All GL novels on NU will be listed under one of these two tags.
    • 9 Nights in the Garden of Lilies: A Yuri Garden Anthology - The Yuri Garden's first collaborative anthology, made up of nine stories fulfilling prompts by Yuri Gardeners.
    • The Yuri Garden 2019 Survey Report - The report on our first annual survey, providing insight into the makeup of our members and their opinions.
    • The Yuri Garden 2020 Survey Report - This year's report, containing different sets of questions.
    • Ai-chan's explanation on the troublesome history of the term "shoujo ai" and why we should maybe stop using it can be found here. (The Yuri Garden continues to use it as a thread tag for those who may not know.)

Winners of the Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2022)
    1st Place Winner:
    "Fate, Fox, and Love" by @Malonymous
    You can find all of Malonymous' written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here.
    Malonymous has also uploaded an edited version of their winning sotry, with character art, titled, "The Fox and Her Villainess".

2nd Place Winner: "Too Late?" by Yati
    You can find all of Yati's written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here.
    If you'd like to read more GL from this author, you can try their original story, "Phantom Adagio". It's a romantic ghost story~!

3rd Place Winner: "Speak Now or Forever…" by YuriDoggo
    You can find all of YuriDoggo's written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here.
    YuriDoggo also entered with "The Mimic".

Winners of the Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2021)
    1st Place Winner: "Villainess Meets Heroine" by @Malonymous (You can also read this on the author's account by clicking here.)
    You can find all of Malonymous' written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here.

2nd Place Winner: "The Unexpected Demon Wife" by @TypeAxiom
    You can find all of TypeAxiom's written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here.

3rd Place Winner: "Looking for Soulmates" by @PrincessFelicie
    You can find all of PrincessFelicie's written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here.
    PrincessFelicie also entered with "I am in love with the summoned heroine".
    If you'd like to read more GL from this author, you can try her Ranma 1/2 fanfic, "Ranma 2 in 1", or her original story, "A Cat's Mind". Both have polyamory~!

Winners of the Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2020)
    1st Place Winner: "Spring-Time" by @LostLibrarian (You can also read this on the author's account by clicking here.)
    You can find all of LostLibrarian's written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here.

2nd Place Winner: "The Villainess' Maid" by @Ninetailed_Furball
    You can find all of Ninetailed_Furball's written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here.
    Ninetailed_Furball also wrote "[My Adorable, my precious, together…]" for "9 Nights in the Garden of Lilies: A Yuri Garden Anthology". Click here to read it.

3rd Place Winner: "The Demon King's Secretary" by @Vongrak
    You can find all of Vongrak's written works at Scribble Hub by clicking here, and at Royal Road by clicking here.
    Vongrak also entered with "The Alchemist's Love Potion" and "My Cosplay Was a Bit too Good".

Winners of the Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2019)
    1st Place Winner: "Perfect Day" by @crimson_carnation (You can also read the edited Scribble Hub version of this by clicking here.)

2nd Place Winner: "Spring Dream" (18+) by @crimson_carnation (You can also read the edited Scribble Hub version of this by clicking here.)

If you like her stories, you can find all of crimson_carnation's written works at her Scribble Hub profile by clicking here.

3rd Place Winner:
    "The Alchemist's Familiar" by @Ninetailed_Furball
    If you like his stories, you can find all of Ninetailed_Furball's written works at his Scribble Hub profile
    by clicking here.
    Ninetailed_Furball also wrote "[My Adorable, my precious, together…]" for "9 Nights in the Garden of Lilies: A Yuri Garden Anthology".
    Click here to read it.

Winners of the Yuri Garden Writing Competition (2018)
    1st Place Winner: "The Magician & Her Princess" by @Suou

2nd Place Winner: "A Spring for Ilys" by @isecai

3rd Place Winner: "A Letter to a Future Dream" by @BB_Tensei

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
  2. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Let’s begin~!
    What are your favourite yuris? What are your OTPs? Do you read the yuri/shoujo ai novels here?

My favourite series are Revolutionary Girl Utena, Akuma no Riddle, and Strawberry Panic. My OTPs are… Too many, really~! (Utena x Anthy, Tokaku x Haru, Nagasi x Shizuma… Also Alita x Falis (Murder Princess), Rue x Ahiru (Princess Tutu), and so many crossover ships…)
    I’m trying to work my way through the collection here, but it’s slow going.

Also – did you know that it’s Femslash February right now?
    Have you been keeping up with the fanfiction? What are your favourites for this year so far?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  3. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now just to clear things up, which room do futa go into

4. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a lot of those gets tagged with "yuri" anyway so, out of Danmei and the Garden, they probably go here.

itsthatkidjashyy likes this.
  5. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't that depend on if it is futaxfuta, futaxmale or futaxfemale?

Moonpearl likes this.
  6. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, that's true...
    Then, for the Lily Garden, futaxfuta and futaxfemale are probably acceptable.
    What do you think?

Nimroth likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely read both yuri and yaoi ~ usually just -ai thing like @Ai chan name~ mostly doujin though~ I prefer non-H thing for romance ~
    ah this thread remind me manga which I forget it's title atm hmm a girl who charm only work for female and zero for male despite they know she is a beauty cuz her father is host.... lel pretty funny
    as for novel hmm does maria-sama counted?

Lovina and Moonpearl like this.
  8. jihadjoe

jihadjoe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't remember the title, but I ran into a manga where a female robot (looks like a young woman) encounters a young girl (child). They become friends and hang out occasionally until the young girl grows into a young woman herself (and it becomes yuri time), but the feelings they developed over that time causes a change in the robot girl making her quite unique.

It was beautifully drawn and I hope to find it again, hopefully with a few more chapters done.

Moonpearl likes this.
  9. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds like an interesting manga~!
    Maria-sama counts. :) I haven't started the novel yet, but I've watched some of the anime. Do you like it?

Is it Tonari no Robot?

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    so~so I read it cuz Lucky Star......... when Konata goes to Ojousama mode~

Moonpearl likes this.
  11. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I hadn't realised they'd referenced yuri shows too. I'll have to go back and watch it again~!

I liked what I watched of the Maria anime, but it was disappointing to know that it would never come to anything even before it ended... Class S is painful.

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    btw is Yuri Yuri good? put yuri thing aside~ see it on some anime for yuri or shoujo-ai referance I can guess it as shoujo-ai~
    :sleep: any recommendation for novel? I rarely read manga these days

13. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't watched it, so I unfortunately can't say.

For translated novels, the only one I can really recommend (the amount of yuri novels I've read is sadly low) is "The Pseudo-Kunoichi from Another World". It only has five chapters right now, and it's your typical transported-to-game-world novel, but it's refreshingly to-the-point with its relationship.
    "Manowa" and "Yuusha Ga Onna Da to Dame Desu Ka?" are another two game-world novels, though I haven't read either yet. The second one is an intentional harem.
    Strawberry Panic also has a set of stories that have been officially licensed in English.

I recently found some Royal Road stories, but I haven't started any of them yet:
    The Ogre Girl Won't Be Wooed By Men! [But Has A Soft Spot For Girls?!]
    Redwood Crossing
    The Dark Inheritor (It looks like this one has a lot of smut, though)
    My eyes can see

If you don't mind Western novels, there's S.E. Diemer's "The Dark Wife", which can be read for free here. It's a retelling of the myth of Hades and Persephone where both are women. (And where Hades is hot.) It has heavy themes of rape and abuse, though, and at least one rape scene near the beginning, although not in the relationship.
    Her and her wife's stuff is famous in the sapphic community, so anything listed on that site should be good.

fewachan and asriu like this.
  14. jihadjoe

jihadjoe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Moonpearl likes this.
  15. IRandomGuy

IRandomGuy ohhh, custom title...

Reading List:
    Link
    For manga(have read):
    Citrus (sabura uta)
    Tamen de gushi
    Girl friend
    & a few more I can't quite remember

Been recommended but never touch b/c lack time:
    Sakura trick
    Fluttering feeling
    Whispered words
    Candy boy
    Yurikuma arashi

fewachan and Moonpearl like this.
  16. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    fewachan likes this.
  17. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that "Girlfriends" by Milk Morinaga? Is it any good? I've seen it around a lot, but I've been avoiding it since it looks angsty.

fewachan likes this.
  18. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Femslash February is well and truly over now~! I had planned to write at least two fanfics, but they sadly never materialised... At least there's always next year.

I didn't manage to keep up with my fandoms during the month, but this is what I managed to uncover:
    "When I Look at You" (Princess Tutu, Rue/Ahiru)
    "Remains Unsaid" (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Anthy/Utena, sort of dark)
    "Not Your Average Pet" (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Anthy/Utena, a humorous fic about their life together after the show)
    "Popcorn Theatre" (Revolutionary Girl Utena, Juri/Shiori, slightly suggestive)
    Akuma no Riddle works~!
    love like you (Revolutionary Girl Utena AMV)
    you are the O N E (Rock and Riot MV)

UNRELATED: Last month, the yuri and shoujo ai tags here at NU were also updated~! We now have "Watashi to Kanojo no Synesthesia", a cute oneshot about two girls with synesthesia. What does everyone think of it?

19. Fairy-chan

Fairy-chan 『Appreciates Cuteness』

Reading List:
    Link
    I have never read any Yuri or Shoujo Ai novels, but I did read plenty of mangas with it.

My favorite ones were mainly from the touhou franchise though, so it's probably more because of the characters themselves than because of it being shoujo ai.

I still enjoyed reading other mangas with it however.

As for my OTP, it would be MariAli, definitely the owners of the cutest doujinshis I have found in the community.

fewachan and Moonpearl like this.
  20. Slaynbr

Slaynbr {Scholar} Asylum's Oji-chan |StormBringer| Ossan

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels I never got to read a true yuri one. Just some like dragonblood - but it's gender bender, so maybe it doesn't count?
    Manga and amines, I read/saw some. My favorite would be candy boy, followers by girl friend and citrus. Both really good too.

Moonpearl likes this.