How do these novels even get to the top.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by wazyx93, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wazyx93

wazyx93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone explain please, how do these type of novels --->
    Close combat mage, child of light, man picked by gods, death march, kumo desu ga nani ka, shinka no mi.

get to the top rankings where MC is pathetic, story is boring, story is childish especially CCM and COL, story doesn't go anywhere and so on....
    There are like 100 of cool novels that deserve to be in top rankings so that people would notice them and start reading, then translators would have more support and there would be more releases.

I'm sorry if someone likes these novels that i listed but its like 80% of people in this community are children of age of 10.

RANTMAN and ZhaWarudo like this.
  2. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    It's masturbatory fantasy. People read and like it cause it's something they get off of when they imagine it.

People also don't want to think so much when they read something. CoL is perfect as an idiot book. TJSS wrote it very simply and with a distinct lack of complexity... At least to me.

As for CCM, people like the ten year old pimp. It's something they probably have daydreams about. "If I was ten years old again, I'd hit all these girls and make a harem to last my life..." If you think I'm being dumb, then please explain the various random sexual scenes in the story surrounding a boy who hasn't even gone through puberty. Also, please explain his really stupid, 6 month to OP power progression...

"MC is pathetic, story is boring, story is childish". I dunno about you, but I'll say that "Characters are cliche" "Story is transparent" "Story has random adult themes." If you're gonna write erotic content, then write full on erotica. Don't be a dick and make it 16+ for "kinda sexual scenes".

How many stories are out there with the same repeated ecchi content?

RANTMAN, Asf and Gunji Murgi like this.
  3. MadHatter

MadHatter [WindyWeather]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a matter of taste. What others like you might not like. What you like, others might think it's shitty.

Azuka and Asf like this.
  4. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    If the majority are ten years old then it's inevitable for stuff a 10 years old like to reach the top don't you think?

You're in the minority, deal with it.

5. Azusky

Azusky Gazing At Moonlight | 50 Shades of Blue

Reading List:
    Link
    Your opinion. Not the majority as it seems

Asf likes this.
  6. Gunji Murgi

Gunji Murgi Overlord of all Things Feathered

Reading List:
    Link
    A sad truth. Agree with you wholly

7. carapeto

carapeto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a limit to everyone's available time...
    There's a limit on the number of novel's one can try in a reasonable amount of time!
    So ppl go to the popular / most advertised ones...

They are popular because they are popular! True story... ranking on NU is based on views!
    Why may try them?
    Cause they top the rankings...
    or have releases often...
    or are on wuxiaworld...
    or X person mentions it as being whatever...
    or author is know from another you like...

Novels already popular have more chances more ppl will try them... The more ppl try them the more they rise in rankings!! kinda a snowballing effect!

Plus there are always worse ones! Its unusually hard to find a good series these days :D
    And to many people, after you start a story, and it's not awfully bad, you kinda want to know how it ends :p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    GonZ555, Lagu and forgotten like this.
  8. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I read Kumo Desu Ga Nani Ka? Since it first got started translating so it holds a special place in my heart. Also Shinka no Mi and The man picked up by the gods. Shinka No Mi is good as long as you ignore the harem (wish I could kill everyone other than Sarah). The man picked up by the gods... I'm only reading it for the magical beasts, they're cool.

9. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, it's more like "100s of novels" belong to the crap area while "2-10 novels" deserve some praise.

10. EcoJakk

EcoJakk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't agree with you about Death March or Kumo, but the others aren't for me either.

Blitz likes this.
  11. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Plebs will read anything that updates fast

RANTMAN, Blitz and Eternal Liar like this.
  12. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Death March's MC is pathetic? No, he's just not ambitious, he's competent (if not overly) in all fields he does (being a noble, being a merchant, being an explorer, being a hero, and most of all being a chef),
    Don't call someone pathetic just because one does not share the same view on life with you

Story is boring and childish? Well, maybe not all ADULTS enjoy a full-blown action story and prefer a more slice-of-lifey feels?

13. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    iunno about u guys but when i was 10 yrs old every girl in my primary school class lusted after my body

Little Dragon, Mufarasu and BlueBrute like this.
  14. wazyx93

wazyx93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you serious people??? So many don't agree with me?? No wonder top rank is f***ed up. What's the point of giving MC godlike abilities if he doesn't use them???? The story would be the same if you just reincarnated or transported MC with just little bit of power like everyone else has in those worlds. I'm surprised someone said he enjoys reading shinka no mi where MC is god but he always says he's afraid of using his power because he doesn't deserve them.
    I feel jealous that i don't have same taste as you, then i would have so many novels to enjoy.....

15. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, maybe because people who know those good stories, don't talk about them... just like you are doing now. You say there are 100 that deserve to be there but it's pointless if people don't know about them. I, for one, don't usually start reading(or even put in my eyes:rolleyes:) anything that doesn't have at least 50-100 chapters translated or something that has slow releases and I think there are many other people like this...
    Also, even if people notice them and support them it's not necessarily a certainty that there would be more releases.
    Though, it's not like I actually care of what novels are on the so called ranking as I don't check it too much. The ranking is in the end based on other people's likes and dislikes and also exposure to the said novels and not based on what I or you as individuals like...

Edit: What you're saying here doesn't really seem to help in getting more exposure for those 100~ novels. It seems more like pointless criticism of other people's preferences.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Siul16 likes this.
  16. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    "The ones I dislike shouldn't be popular ever, and anyone who disagree is an idiot."

Sucks to have an unusual taste, but saying that the majority enjoy reading crap isn't the way to go.

Nyanko and MadHatter like this.
  17. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't even know what novel you're talking about but what's wrong with that? Give an MC godlike powers and let him go and crush everything with them would just make the book like the '100's' of other novels there are.
    Some people like SOL, some people don't. Just because the story doesn't go anywhere, doesn't mean it's a bad novel.
    This shit always sounds so elitist. If you want to read well-written literature, why are you reading freely translated chinese web novels? I'm not saying they are good, because I don't read any of the novels you have listed, but this thinly veiled 'my tastes are more refined in comparison to the rest of the community' stuff is always so annoying.

Talk about what you like, make a latest chapter discussion thread, or contribute to one if there is one already. Make a thread about things that you like about particular novels, and then list a few examples instead of just sitting there and complaining. People here are always looking for new things to read, try and sell some of the things you are interested in.

18. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    > open an opinion thread
    > start to rage when people disagree.
    Much mature.

19. Arcares

Arcares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like death a lot however I do agree that CCM bothers me to hell. The reason being is cause the fire-wind girls treat him as a "father" and the boy is somehow knowledgeable about politics when hes 10 not only that 99% of the stuff he does he's never learned before and just comes natural to him. Although I'm sure it has it's good points, the cons over rule it for me. However the important part here is that is my opinion and others can have theirs. There is no need to rage about it.

DarkArts likes this.
  20. BlueBrute

BlueBrute Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    kumo desu ga nani ka is pretty unique, also the MC is just awesome, she's the antihero without looking/being an assh*le.

Mufarasu and Shio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.