LCD M E M O R I Z E

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by craBebe, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Trent

Trent ☕ Ursine Tea Zealot ☕

Reading List:
    Link
    -_- Not fond of these recent chapters. What has the MC even been doing? What is the point of everything? In-story, it's been three months of wasted time, and all he's getting out of it are a few attribute points. That the novel so poorly describes all the settings is a warning sign. What is it, zero for three? One for five? Or am I just reading the wrong way?

Well, hopefully he'll become a bit stronger from this, and forge some new relationships with people at the academy. Though it seems a bit late for that. :unsure:

2. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm honestly glad I didn't have to read about 3 months of training. He should get his stat points and leave.

3. Trent

Reading List:
    Link
    Ugh. I get your point, but the whole point of a story is... well, the story. :rolleyes: (And the award for most useless statement goes to...) If the author had made the three months interesting and meaningful, it'd be fine. Like, that's what we're reading the novel for. The very reason you're saying that is because the arc hasn't succeeded in some of the most basic requirements of storytelling. When a story's good, you shouldn't want for it to time-skip or skim; those are usually indications that the author's being lazy or has given up on the arc.

4. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    There's plenty of story to be had without us reading about his three months of training. I want to see him enter hall plain. I'm seeing this as a transition period rather than something that's suppose to be all of that interesting. Like when movies skip driving scenes and just show them pulling up to their destination.

5. Trent

Reading List:
    Link
    I gotcha. I'm upset because it had the potential to be more than just a transition period, but you're right.

6. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant why didn't he use this Third Eye earlier?

Movies and books skip training for a reason - it's boring and tedious, and nothing interesting happens.

Otherwise we'd be reading "today I did 500 pushups" for 100 pages, and nobody wants to do that.

7. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    4 attributes points is HUGE when talking about putting them into points over 100. By the sound of things, you could spend your entire life on just going 1 attribute point over 100. He also needs his friends trained too.

The only thing I don't like is MCs behavior. The author seems to lower his IQ for the sake of plot for this arc. Hopefully its a 1 time thing...

8. Trent

Reading List:
    Link
    *shrug* It's just a personal preference. I love seeing training that's done well (or even done decently :whistle:). I love seeing a character's abilities reasonably improve, as opposed to "battling MC suddenly gains an undefined powerup." I adore the training parts of Everyone Else is a Returnee and The Nine Cauldrons. But when a training segment could have been so much more than a boring, "necessary" mini-arc, but isn't, it's annoying.
    ? Sort of. We already have a bunch of beginners who match the super-veteran MC in some stats, and it's unlikely that they won't improve in the future. He needs his friends trained too, sure, but what's stopping the author from making the academy be an interesting place instead of just some place the MC had to go through for X?

The MC has gotten Japenofied a bit. -_-

Edit: An example of a well-done training segment: Rocky. Or would you rather the movie have skipped straight from his decision to challenge the champ to the match?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  9. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually can't understand why their stats are that high but their performance is that low...it makes no sense to me really. Sure I get the concept of skill playing a role, but it still feels off. Maybe because they didn't have a class yet? idk

I think the MC wants to increase some stats to over 100 or increase the ones that are 100. He can increase the other stats naturally over long time but 90+ and 100+ seem to be barriers.

I think the author just wants to use this mini-arc to character develop that jewel mage person (not good at remembering names) and mcs relationship. The training here is pretty generic anyways. It is not like they are getting special training or something.

10. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rocky had a training MONTAGE. They took a few SECONDS of his training out of the MONTHS of training that he did. How would you do a training montage in text? You just explain in a few sentences what he did in those 3 months.

11. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read TNC but a key difference in Returnee is that we can see the MC's improvement. Here the training is incredibly easy for him because his stats are high and he's just going through the motions. They also only get the stats at the end. So there would be no real improvement with the MC and we'd just see acting out the entire thing like a douche.

keklel likes this.
  12. Trent

Reading List:
    Link
    More like a few minutes, but I see your point. It is somewhat different for non-novel mediums. But I guess I'm being a bit misunderstood. True, I'm among the minority who like seeing training. But I'm not saying that the lack of training is the problem with the academy, but the lack of everything.

My point isn't that, boo-hoo, we don't get to read about the characters running marathons, but that, boo-hoo, very little of value happened at all. New relationships? Nope. Deeper relationships, whether they become better or worse? Nope. Skills learned? Not that either. What, exactly, did these chapters bring to the story, besides a generalized "everyone became tighter knit through shared difficulties" and "the world sucks?"

keklel likes this.
  13. kaisis

kaisis Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Jewel Mage is slowly drifting away from the group and the MC feels complicated about it due to his past" and "Slight introduction to the world of Hall Plain", that's what the past few chapters have been about.

Will it be worth it down the road? I dunno, but considering hers is a secret class, Jewel Mage will probably semi-plot relevant down the line.

14. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Very true, I felt that the MC should have made new friends during the training period. We should at least see him using his Third Eye on people and noting down people with secret classes.

15. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    finally new chapter!!!!

jenchan likes this.
  16. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    JESUS CHRIST FINALLY I really hope this is the end of the god-awful awkward teen-drama between Kim Han-Byul and the MC.

I know it only lasted like 2 chapters, but it still felt an eternity. Han-Byul is clearly a stupid bitch. Why did the MC even try to argue with her? She obviously didn't trust the MC, who saved her ass on multiple occasions, preferring some random clan instead. Is she retarded or what?

Glad this stupid drama is finally over though. FINALLY the main story should begin next chapter, hopefully, without any more stupid interruptions or stupid drama caused by retarded characters being stupid.

jenchan and Trent like this.
  17. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    its call character building. you dont just make people mature in short times.. times make people understand and think carefully.

jenchan likes this.
  18. keklel

keklel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Character building for whom? The MC is supposed to have 10 years of experience in Hall Plain already yet he acts and thinks like a child. Han-Byul is an unlikeable bitch - the more she appears in the story, the worse it is.

jenchan likes this.
  19. Trent

Reading List:
    Link
    ~ The thing is, she could have worked as an untrusting character. Maybe she had a bad experience with a clever or charismatic guy in the past, so the MC's hidden plans made her wary of him; he could have seemed like that character during an apocalypse or on a deserted island that tries to start a cult. Except she easily trusts in what the Golden Lion Clan people tell her, so that personality goes out the window. Plus, the entire relationship between her and the MC is poorly written. It doesn't make any sense why the MC cares about her beyond her skills.

jenchan and keklel like this.
  20. jenchan

jenchan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No more drama! I'm hoping the next chapter has some action in it because I'm tired of all this tension between them.
    I'm sure Han-Byul will likely appear at one point. Maybe there will be twist?