Tutorials & Resources Submitting chapters. (Image Heavy.)

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Lachiel, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    I figured I would make this quick little guide on how to submit chapters. Both forum based and wiki based.. a wordpress/ Blogspot just requires the chapters link.
    So lets get to Add Release.
    So in your user profile you'll find this [​IMG]
    We want to click on Add Release
    And we will get this
    [​IMG]
    So first things First I'll show you how to do a Forum based.
    So first things first, Find the date / and chapter # and book #
    [​IMG]
    Then we go and fill it out
    [​IMG]
    After that we have the chapter link And each forum is different. For this forum as you can see the #48 is highlighted in the post with the chapter name and translator name, you right click that and copy link address and we get the chapter link. and we put it in here.
    [​IMG]
    After that we see that the translator is Jean and the Date is 8-28-08 so we fill that out.
    [​IMG]
    And we are all done. Not hard right? Well just remember that you have to get the correct date in order for everything to show in order. After you submit you'll get this
    [​IMG]

Old_Man, GamerNessa, Ldyrdy and 3 others like this.
  2. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright now we are here on the most annoying thing to add chapters for. Baka-Tsuki. Why you may ask? Well its due to the chapters being translated out of order / hard to find the date of translation. Now you may ask "Why is it such a big deal lachiel?!" Well to answer your question, as @Tony has told me, If you happen to release more then one without putting a date in it shows up on the front page.. and will flood it. To give a Example, I released 200 Chapters on night, and imagine if they all showed up on the front page?
    Anyways enough of that lets get down to business! Lets find a series! Ah heres one!
    [​IMG]
    Now lets double check Does Novel updates have any of the chapters?
    [​IMG]
    Nope! No chapters have been listed here! Well lets fix that!
    So first things first lets get the date of translated chapters (Note not all Baka-tsuki project pages have this)
    [​IMG]
    Lets click on that Archive link there and it shows us
    [​IMG]
    This wonderful page that gives us all the dates! whoo we don't have to hunt anything down hopefully!
    So lets get on down for submitting, if you've read the guide above you should know the basics. So I'll go ahead and fill out most of it.
    But first lets get the chapter link Note: (But Lachiel! Theres a Full Text Button right there! Why don't we use that one!) I have just one thing to say.. Don't be that guy and take the lazy way out because you don't want to input a different date each release. Go the full length or Don't both with these releases please.
    [​IMG]
    And then we input it into the form to submit a chapter!
    [​IMG]
    Tada!
    Now we gotta get the date!
    So lets go to our Baka-tsuki update archive and find the date for Volume 1 Chapter1!
    [​IMG]
    Ah there it is! 01-15-2009 So lets go ahead and put it in our release[​IMG]
    And there we go!
    [​IMG]
    We submit and get our message! [​IMG]
    And there you go! Easy peze!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    ElectricIcecream, Tony and Shio like this.
  3. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    -Reserved for now-

4. Mousa4

Mousa4 Cultivated to Immortality

Reading List:
    Link
    great and here i thought "add releases" meant adding a new series too the website :confused:.

5. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    lol. I can do a guide on that too.. I'll have to search for a series to add tho.

6. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    What about having both, some people(me) like the full releases haha

But if it's just a guide, you could always do it with an existing series, without pressing submit.
    =========================
    Also~~~ you can drag and drop the links, instead of right-click > copy link address > click > paste
    Screen shot 2015-11-05 at PM 02.24.36.png
    And for the dates, you can type it out mm/dd/yyyy instead of clicking the calendar.

By the way, what kind of formats for the releases dates are accepted? Like aside from mm/dd/yyyy (e.g. 04/06/2015), can we type it like (04062015) or (4/6/2015) or (4/6/15)? Or does whoever approves the submission do it manually?

If it's only mm/dd/yyyy is accepted, and whoever approves it does not do it manually (besides checking, or whatever) can it be made to convert 04062015, 4/6/15, etc. to 04/06/2015?

7. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I don't really recommend dragging it.. because if you miss the link box.. you will find yourself on another website :p it can happen when your on a marathon release..
    Also Full releases is the lazy mans way out! only baka tsuki does it, so its just best to get use to doing it chapter by chapter.
    Also it only allows mm/dd/yyyy. I tried do ing it mm/dd/yy and it errored out. And please spare @Tony from doing all the editing.. :( He already has to manually approve the releases. He can edit it but please do try to keep his work on the low.

8. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
    But, you know, *click click click click click* v.s. *cli~swoosh~ck". There's like 4 less clicks, and 1 more swoosh.

Arrhh I see, poor @Tony hahaha.

9. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    well its some extra clicks vs having to re-input a ton of information for just one ~Swoosh~ that missed its target. Also for some websites once you get the hang of the naming schemes some do its 100% easier. I can't make a tutorial for all that :) since its just something one has to get use too.

10. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hopefully I can finish the admin tools this weekend so I don't have to approve those releases anymore. I would like to start developing the site again :D

TomiNdumplings likes this.
  11. brianf

brianf Pvt. Slime

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    yey, site development! I am trying to help you with what I can atm :) and fill in the blanks some novels have.
    Fine! You can swoosh all you want! Just don't cry to me later! >:O

13. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a video because that's a lot of pictures.

And bleh, no native webm support.

14. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    .. ;-; pictures are life. pictures are love...
    (Thanks for the video <3)

15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started to remember all the release with dd/mm/yy date format/wrong date/other mistakes that I submitted before. Thanks and sorry (?) for whoever that has to fixed them.
    On another note, is it ok to add release/chapter for novel that already has their volume/full text release?

16. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll argue for yes because it keeps the release frequency statistic accurate.

Shio likes this.
  17. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if it's answered somewhere but I just want to ask if there's a way to fix broken links, or a way to edit Group/Releases Info?

My reasoning is because sometimes a group might change their website and just bring everything with them to a new website. So, should I (or we) submit the same group but with a different address? And then resubmit all their releases?

Example:
    Shinsori Translations
    Shinsori

kainee likes this.
  18. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I fixed this earlier. Someone else reported the problem.

You can also report problems here: http://www.novelupdates.com/report-problem/ or http://forum.novelupdates.com/forums/suggestions-bug-reports.5/

No you should not submit the same group with a different address. Just report the problem. Thanks ;)

kainee and Slimikyi like this.
  19. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find it hard to believe that anyone would take the time sit down and add 200 chapters in ONE night -_-