Question 真气?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by godofabc, Jun 19, 2017.

1. godofabc

godofabc Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi all,

Although I'm well-versed into the kingdom of 'taku, I seldom read cultivation novels, and those dozen few that I have read before usually would have the MC being armed with 真气 (true qi), something that differed from others as theirs were merely normal qi (气) compared to his.

Now, the ACG novel which I'm translating had some cultivation elements appearing, which I'm genuinely interested to find out if there is truly a 'default' term for 真气, as 'true qi' is my translation from it.

I've did a search online, but there's no clue onto 真气, merely 练气 (qi) itself. I'll be appreciating y'all cultivation translators to share your thoughts to enlighten me on this, :p

Cheers!

Morvian likes this.
  2. lynette

lynette Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there false/fake Qi in the story?
    It also has other meanings other than the most common meaning "true".
    I suggest you search it in a Chinese-Chinese dictionary before making some new translations.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    http://baike.baidu.com/item/真气/6004118
    also, from http://dict.revised.moe.edu.tw/cgi-bin/cbdic/gsweb.cgi:
    中醫上指由先天的原氣和後天呼吸水穀精氣結合而成的生命動力物質。可影響人體的各種機能活動以及抗病能力。

I usually see "true qi". You could call it inborn vitality or something like that.

see also: https://www.sacredlotus.com/go/foundations-chinese-medicine/get/forms-of-qi-life-force

I've also seen "essential qi".

FWIW, A Manual of Acupuncture, which is like the textbook on the subject, translates it as "true qi".

NightinWolf and pinkrainmi like this.
  4. NightinWolf

NightinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Manual of Acupuncture is medical book more than fantasy genre that the OP has asked about.

I agree with you all but to keep it simple its better to use the word "qi".

5. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are different kinds of of qi, so you can'y really do that.

6. Incarneous

Incarneous ☕ [Transcendent Eternality] [Alexfilia's Dad]

Reading List:
    Link
    Qi is for wuxia, Douqi is seen a lot in xuanhuan.

Zhenqi, 80% that your novel is xianxia. Zhenqi is what low level cultivators have as they seek xiantian stage or something similar, at which point, they get Zhenyuan. Notice how the zhen in xiu zhen (cultivate zhen/truth) is the same zhen as zhenqi and zhenyuan. Eventually after doing xiuzhen (cultivating truth/seeking truth) for long enough, either they achieve changshen (longevity) or they become immortals and they can xiuxian instead (cultivate immortality) depending on the setting.

Basically zhenqi is the low level qi of people seeking to cultivate immortality, which eventually levels up.

The name doesn't matter all that much so long as you include 'qi' and let your readers know where exactly it is in your cultivation system. Because it is the most basic 'qi' in xianxia cultivation, simply calling it 'qi' is okay too. If you aren't clear on your exact setting, I recommend you just call it zhenqi and be done with it.

7. godofabc

godofabc Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Inborn vitality, well yeah, that's what i wanted to express out about 'true qi'. It comes out from within the body, not absorbed through the surroundings like 'other types of qi', to be put rather badly for want of a better term.
    Thanks for the input, friend!

Woah, interesting, and very true. Thanks for the suggestion!:LOL:

-thread closed-