Discussion Opinions on Qidian Mega-merge thread 2.0 - All future Qidian Opinion Threads Will Go Here

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BabaNovac, Jun 26, 2017.

?

Like qidian?

Poll closed Aug 11, 2017.
  1. Yes

24 vote(s)
    13.4%
  2. No

155 vote(s)
    86.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BabaNovac

BabaNovac FUYUKAI DESU Seraglio e youkoso SchrodingerPanties

Reading List:
    Link
    (See also: ===== Mega Merged WW & Qidian Thread (1.0) ======)

All future opinion or speculation threads on Qidian will be merged here.

-remy
    ============
    Summary of Events (starting from July 25th 2017)
    ============
    Table of contents of opinion threads merged:
    - Original thread post: see after dashed lines
    - My Two Cents
    - Cold Blooded Business analysis of Qidan's Decisions
    - Qidian and NovelUpdates
    - The fate of Korean novels on Wuxiaworld & copyright infringement
    - QI Intentions
    - What happened to Chinese Novels?
    - when qidian puts up pay wall......
    - The one thing I think Qidian is Right about.
    - Novels Migrated to Qidian
    - New covers with QI Logos
    - QI vs. WW
    - I really feel bad for Ren/WXW
    -QI is full of idiots
    -@rwx where is this kangaroo court held?
    - Why are MODS who are neutral blocking all WXW Threads, very strange?
    - And so it continues...
    - People, Keep The War At your Place WW&QI
    - If I were Qidian...
    - Qidian spending on translations
    - If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor
    - My 25 Cents and my love for GT, WW, NU and QI
    - What are the chances of QI dropping a novel??
    -Click ON the Ads
    - Why Qidian's adwall won't work and how to fix it
    -For those newcomer readers like me, can someone do a quick tldr between QI and WW war?
    - Wait a minute, why do us leechers actually hate qidan?
    - So does QI hate Japan or does QI not care about English quality? (clickbait, I guess?)
    -Discussion - Trying to understand Qidian International.

Original post below:
    ============

At a sudden question (not so sudden actually I'm sure many of us thought about the same thing) of why we should support a translator patreon who moved to Qidian and is currently being paid by them? Well the answer is we don't have to, actually we never did and I'm sure there are many leechers out there who never spent a penny on donations maybe because they really didn't have any money, access to a credit card or simply they were too lazy to do it. But the difference now is that we supported them because we appreciated their hard work which takes time, time that they could be spending working on something more profitable to feed their families.(A good example for this scenario is Deathblade one of the first translators to open a patreon after quitting their job so they can focus on full time translating. Something that can't happen without the readers help) Worrying that they might stop translating and go to Hello to look for a place to work we supported their patreon so they no longer have to worry about money and keep translating in peace. In short we didn't donate just to get an extra chapter but we donated knowing that now the translator will manage to finish his work. The problem now is that Qidian takes care of the translators in place of us readers, so we don't have to worry that the translations are over because of rl problems knowing that qidian can anytime replace the translators. With Qidian the translators are no longer humans but just a machine who translates and posts the chapters. A RHMTL or how I like to call it(A real human-machine translator). This way is harder to create a connection between translators and readers thus us not feeling anymore compelled to support the translators knowing that Qidian pays them to do it anyway, they are not doing out of their good will or just to share it with us, but just to get paid and that's something I don't want to pay for!

*This is the original comment that I first made about this subject*
    I guess since they're getting paid by Qidian, they shouldn't need to be doing their patreons right?
    This is more a thing of if you want more than 5 chapters per week paid by qidian,anything more than that readers have to pay for them. I first started to notice and like CKtalon when he mass released chapters not because people sponsored them but because he wanted to share this awesome novel with all of us quickly catching up with the author. I still remember how surprised I was when I noticed that a translation caught up with the author! The turtle caught with the rabbit! And people noticed his devotion and replied in kind sponsoring his patreon, sharing their gratitude and paying money not for more chapters but to repay all the hard work that he's done showing their appreciation and telling @CKtalon_TMW that whatever you do we are following you! That was the golden era, when everything was for the readers and the readers knew that and supported their patreon. I mean how can you not support them when you see a 20+ something mass release for IRAS, it was madness and we loved them for that. Now things have changed, it's no longer for the readers, but for the translators... which is not a bad thing (they now have a good paying job and are not at the mercy of the readers who may get bored of the novel or not want to pay because the mc didn't use a brick to kill his enemies...) Only that now it became bad for the readers, no more mass release chapters, only teasers and cliffhangers to make you want to pay if you want to read more and not pay because you appreciate the hard work of the author. That's why I don't like Qidian I think it kills the spirit of this community and the connection(our red string of fate lol) between readers and translators. It will no longer be me and CKtalon who translates these chapters, but me and Qidian who pays him to do that for me so I no longer have to worry that he will stop the translation, because Qidian can at any time pay another translator to continue it. Which is sad...
    (The amount of merged threads has been a lot, so I'm putting the original post under a spoiler tag to conserve screen space -remy)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I understand the need for discussion but discussing something that's been repeatedly smashed into the ground will not change anything NUF has stated their opinion, individuals and TLr's have stated their opinions. Discussion has and had happened threads already exists on this.

3. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Here we go, again. Didn't read you're wall of text, but fuck qidian

4. Zaart

Zaart Deer Master Race

Reading List:
    Link
    Your opinion don t matter, only your action do!
    So if you want to keep things as they are do what you need to do

5. Silverblood

Silverblood Forbidden Library

Reading List:
    Link
    they say thier wont be a paywall but no one can say it wont be in thefuture. QI IS LIKE THE DEVIL. they say nice things for now then screw you later.

CosmicInsomniac and Sythellri like this.
  6. BabaNovac

Reading List:
    Link
    But I think the difference between supporting the translators just to translate more chapters or just supporting him for the work that he's doing and making sure that he earns enough money while translating full time it's important. Because in the case of Qidian supporting the translators I don't have to do it anymore, and if I want more chapters I can just wait for them to stack up so I can binge read'em. I support the translators not paying for a chapter once a month when I encounter a cliffhanger...

Faker and Liu like this.
  7. Satyryakfly

Satyryakfly Relic

Reading List:
    Link
    please do not relight this bloody thing again, the mods will just lock the thread anyway.

8. Goatse

Goatse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't seem to get it. Supporting Patreon only hurts the cause further. Translators made the choice to join Qidian willingly because they are provided with more money and an "official" platform to boost their careers. They're already getting paid to do work for Qidian, giving them more money does jack shit. Qidian provides the translator with a platform and ease of access to other Qidian novels, meaning a steady supply of money regardless of interest in a novel.

If people didn't see big wig translators literally earning 100k+ yearly from patreon, we wouldn't have this whole Qidian mess.

9. Hunta

Hunta shameless

Reading List:
    Link
    Its because Qidian is a tiger in pig clothing... No one messes with Wuxiaworld and gets away

Liu likes this.
  10. delorz

delorz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. BabaNovac

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that's exactly what I'm saying, that there is no longer a reason to support their patreon. They actually want their ice cream and eat it too!

EcoJakk, Sythellri, Astaroth and 3 others like this.
  12. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Idc... really. Let them do what they want to do.. its their company and they have the right to do so.

13. rei_hunter

rei_hunter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DONT LET RELEASE THAT BITCH GET INTO THEIR HANDS GUYS! CONTINUE SUPPORTING ROX SO HE'S HEALTH AF!

14. mechafanboy

mechafanboy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quick round of devil's advocate,

I like to think of Qidian as akin to Youtube for videos. Nothing more than a platform that leads to spreading out the word of individuals each trying to make it big on their own. It was and still is possible to thank individual translators if you really want to (admittedly, this is primarily through comments now, patreon, etc, will require additional effort on the part of the user). I personally advise people to make use of the organization rather than repeatedly attacking them.

Qidian's got pretty major backing financially, I highly doubt they will allow the website to go down so long as it makes money for them and it's in their best interest to ramp up the promotion to get the word out to more users in the future, rather than fighting it, shouldn't the idea be to get the translations out to as many readers as possible? not just fans of web novels who stumbled across this website, but rather to the mass consumers as well.

That said, I strongly dislike Qidian's way of handling the Wuxiaworld thing, and I doubt Wuxiaworld is the only group to be affected in this manner, just the most public one. That said, if it leads to a larger pool of consumers in the end AND there is literally no way to prevent Qidian from proceeding the way it is, I don't personally what anyone expects translators or even readers to do except collectively ignore Qidian, which won't work because they'll actively promote their business elsewhere and move on to other people who do want money for translations or simply don't care and want to read.

15. Raizhee

Raizhee bubblegum bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    If people want to keep supporting who am i to dictate them how to use their own fortune ://

YunsmoothChe and Compound Q like this.
  16. Chance

Chance Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got no guilt. I donated to help show appreciation for someone's time. If they get picked up by qidan, that's a job. Not paying extra for someone to do their job. Simple.

As of now I only read two cn. Tmw and Tue. After that I could careless. Most of donations are going to help with kr translators right now.

Please don't be under the impression that qidan won't take part of their patreon donations for extra chapters. NDA's

17. AurionLute

AurionLute Actively Inactive Nonmember

Reading List:
    Link
    It was their choice (translator) if they want to join qidian.
    It was your choice if you want to support or ignore their patreon.
    sigh...
    Now the big bad company appeared and everything becoming a drama...

btw I too dislike qidian, but please don't bring hate to the community

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    LazyLuong and lord007 like this.
  18. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't read the last news but i think most of Patreons are only 'donating' for the 'early access chapters'. If this thing is still here i think their Patreons won't take a heavy blow. I remember a certain Patreon which reached over 5000$ but later quickly dropped to below 1000$ because the translator removed the early access.

YunsmoothChe and BabaNovac like this.
  19. BabaNovac

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not saying that Qidian is the devil incarnate anyone who wishes to translate more than welcome, but getting paid by them and opening a patreon account as well it's not ok in my opinion, of course if you want more chapters you can donate but you can always get those chapters if you wait a few days and the translator is already paid by Qidian so we don't have to worry for his well-being. I mean you don't see pewdiepie opening a patreon because youtube demonized his videos...

EcoJakk and Zaltrhiz like this.
  20. CKtalon_TMW

CKtalon_TMW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could mass release because I had the chapters to. For both TMW and AC, I'm way too close to the raws (caught up with TMW) for me to comfortably mass release chapters because it's good to know ahead of the story to give a better translation due to possible foreshadowing that I might miss while the story is being written.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.