Question not so depth question regarding The Human Emperor

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AkeShiro, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    So I read the novel until chapter 98ish but I can't see why it has a genre of xuanhuan there. it is more like wuxia genre. why did I think it's like that? it's because from all of the xuanhuan genre I read they usually don't have that limited view of the world MC residing in. MC even state that a few times. I mean don't he got transmigrate from 'this' earth from 'that' earth? then why is his view felt like someone who only believes the world is only as big as his home? that concept itself is flawed, I mean there is no such thing as the center of the world only center of civilizations where this country far more develops than that country, right?

or is all I read only a big log of prologue?
    come, come, u can discuss this with everyone who.. want to discuss it of course ;)

edit: xuanhuan, This term is used for those fiction set in an eastern culture background (Eastern Fantasy). In Xuanhuan you get five basic elements (metal, wood, water, fire, and earth), Chinese style gods, powerful animal monster like fox and tiger who can transform to human look, etc... It's like a mishmash of different elements and sometimes Xianxia-like elements are present. It's easy to confuse Xuanhuan with Xianxia.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel is Xuanhuan genre due to the cultivation levels, I can list some of them if you want.

3. Vedastra

Vedastra [I.....See....You.....!!!]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the xuanhuan genre come from transported to another world and second chance tag's and also because the MC has destiny power thing

4. Guradu Gilgida

Guradu Gilgida 【Gentleman】【Tembikar Demon】

Reading List:
    Link
    There's mysterious power that affect the 'world', thus xuanhuan.

5. phk

phk 『Lost Soul』『Master Of The Fine Arts』

Reading List:
    Link
    you might be confusing xuanhuan and xianxia
    edit: could be wrong, just search up both and clarify
    edit 2: nvm i just reread and i had them confused ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  6. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you even know the shape of that world?

7. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm... isnt he said that its alternative earth that look the same?

8. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    The world kinda similar to during Tang Empire if I'm not mistaken, there's the Turkish Khanate(Mongol), Goguryo(Korea), Abbasid Caliphate(Arab), Charax(Persian), Sindhu(India) and island of Yamato(Japan). And the location of these nation was stated quite accurate to modern map

AkeShiro likes this.
  9. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Xuanhuan is western fantasy. If it's strictly martial arts with no cultivation and the like, then it's wuxia. But I saw a review talking about special titles and whatnot, so it shouldn't be wuxia.

AkeShiro likes this.
  10. lordgrim29

lordgrim29 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think difference between xianxia and xuanhan is that both have cultivation techniques xianxia have related to to dantian and xuanhan has other types (only the way I see the differences ) (sorry for bad English)

Astaroth likes this.
  11. Scandalf

Scandalf ~Blood Raven~

Reading List:
    Link
    It's Xuanhuan because it has fantasy elements, MC basically traveled to another plane and after that he traveled back in time. And it's cultivation realms are a bit too fantasy-ish to be a Wuxia. In Wuxia you probably wouldn't see someone calling down a divine spear from the sky and killing thousands of strong people.

Astaroth likes this.
  12. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, i kinda copy-paste it from genre desc on nu so IDK which is which

13. AkeShiro

AkeShiro Blanket Master

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, i kinda copy-paste it from genre desc on nu so IDK which is which

14. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, after seeing your post I looked for a post I remember RWX making about how Coiling Dragon is xuanhuan not xianxia, and I found out that to a Chinese xuanhuan will mean as you said Eastern fantasy, and Qihuan western. However, one of the nice things about translating is we can bastardize terms. Xianxia has become an umbrella term that can refer to all cultivation novels. For the pickier readers, they will differentiate xuanhuan too. However, as RWX first introduced xuanhuan as a description for CD (apparently it should of been qihuan, and while I couldn't dig up a link I'm 99% sure this happened), xuanhuan has taken on the meaning western fantasy. For those really picky people who insist on the Chinese meaning, they will split xuanhuan into xuanhuan and qihuan, but despite this English's xuanhuan is not Chinese's xuanhuan.

tl;dr in Chinese xuanhuan means Eastern fantasy, but it has been popularized as Western, where Western is a blanket term for cultivation other than that of Immortality, such as in ISSTH.

AkeShiro likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.