Spoiler Thoroughly disappointed with Star Rank Hunter

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Davr, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Davr

Davr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Although I believe that few or no eyes except mine will see this thread post, I'm going to write it anyways because I feel that my review on Star Rank Hunter cannot fully express my feelings on the chapters of Star Rank Hunter that come after the School Arc.

Firstly, I must mention that I have not read past chapter 90 of the novel and I don't intend to give it a second chance or read further in the future. Secondly, I must state that I like to read immersive novels that have a balance between the serious and comedic aspects of the plot with the serious aspects put at the forefront. Finally, to show how strict I am with my ideals: I dropped Gate of Revelation for having a "f*** your mother" in the first 10 chapters, I dropped Otherwordly Evil Monarch for its dick jokes, dropped Dragon-marked war god for its poop jokes, and dropped Breakers for having a side character that said too many sarcastic remarks.

Back to Star Rank Hunter, at the beginning of the novel, I believed that the novel was gonna go in a unique direction of the main character rising to the top by relying on both his lucky chance and his own hard work ALONE and be more of a reclusive/powerful type of character. But after he was basically kidnapped by Dias the leader of a subdivision team of a large hunter organization, I knew that he wasn't going to rise to the top alone and was going to be forced by the author to be more social in order to develop the side characters. Then came the school arc where the main character was disguised as the son of a potential successor of a wealthy family. This arc was done beautifully, the main characters power was hidden properly, side characters were properly developed, and the arc was given an ending that was almost orgasmic to read with the main character faking his own death to leave his disguise and the school he was in behind.

But then came the later chapters...

Suddenly, a loli girl was introduced into the hunter team that the main character was in after he met up with the leader of the hunter team he was in (Not the same as the leader of the subdivision he is a part of). It took only two chapters to leave me with a puzzled expression: not only was this random loli character introduced whom apparently is an expert with weapons, but she also kept saying vulgar things she heard other team members say, later being reprimanded by the leader and the main character. The immersion I felt in the earlier chapters was shaken, but not enough to make me drop the novel so I kept reading, thinking that the loli character wouldn't be attached to the main character and was only added for a few bits of comedy every novel likes to throw in. The main character reunited with his team on a snow planet and was on his way to see the subdivision team leader when he just randomly goes off on his own. He then finds the cyborg leopard cat thing in the cave. At first I think that the cyborg cat may be something that the main character uses as a test to find out more about not only the cat but also himself, or just kill the cyborg cat and find a secretin its body. Instead, the cat goes to him, he throws a precious treasure he risked his life to get at the cat, which the cat ate, and the cat started to talk. The more the cat and the main character talked the more similar it seemed to the dog from Dragon-marked war god (they both had almost invulnerable heads WTF). The main character made the cat into his pet for it eating his treasure. Then the killer moment came, the cat went with the main character to regroup with his team and bam: the cat and the loli met... (and the cat talked in front of everyone as well so there goes any secrecy). It was at this moment that I connected the dots, the main character and the cat were together and the loli likes the cat...

talking cat and loli that says vulgar things she hears other team members say
    talking cyborg cat, vulgar loli that is a weapons expert

It was at this moment that any immersion I had was utterly destroyed, the ridiculousness of this plot hit me so hard that I almost yelled "NO!!" at the top of my lungs. It was at this moment that I mentally flipped 1000 tables, closed the tab of the chapter, and went to give the novel a three star review.

I cried... How could a novel with such a good beginning have SUCH A SHITTY BULLCRAP continuation. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This novel did not deserve this, I've read enough to know exactly where the author was taking this novel, all the majesty and uniqueness of the beginning had been forgotten and tossed aside so the novel could travel the generic path.

My mind is in disarray, this thread post is filled with mistakes and vague plot description, and a deep sense of disappointment and hatred is overcoming me.

Did it have to be this way, did the author have to put these....things... to continue the novel? I'll never know

fuck

Edit: I don't care about the vulgarity/profanity being said by the characters, what I care about is about the characters that are saying it and the drastic change in tone from one arc to another.

Also note that this thread is VERY biased and because it is biased, some things that I find infuriating may not be so to other people... So don't point it out!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  2. Aizael

Aizael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You seem like a fun guy to hang out with

Raimon, pcheshire, Dzerx and 5 others like this.
  3. IRainstorm

IRainstorm Dark Sect Ancestor

Reading List:
    Link
    dude if you believe the loli is going to be a love interest you totally wrong, all this author novels have no romance, the loli is just a one of his team members not very important for the plot as for the cat hes gonna follow mc through the rest of the story. Lazy cliche ftw.

But I do agree that SRH does go downhill at some point after the 100 first chapters, it lack...interactions.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  4. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao, oh no, the vulgarity!

5. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ouch.

I kinda feel ya, I went through the first 100 or so chapters of SRH, and while at first it was fun it slowly began to lose its uniqueness and traded it in for the usual cliches. I stopped reading at about the time he was about to start the school arc, since the official translations ended there at the time, and the way things were going, the novel didn't seem to be worthy of the hassle of reading through RAWs.

6. Davr

Davr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't think that the loli was going to be the love interest. The fact that the author put in the loli in the first place is what really made me mad.

7. Davr

Davr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes profanity is put in places where it isn't really needed, even for comic relief.

8. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    Subjective!
    Besides, it isn't based on need, just the desires of the author and what s/he thinks fits.. which is also subjective. Try to lighten up?

StuffedDuck and IRainstorm like this.
  9. IRainstorm

IRainstorm Dark Sect Ancestor

Reading List:
    Link
    Try to lighten up. +1
    Best advice for a lot of people in here.

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if the first 80 or so chapters were volume one
    and there was a 3-month break to plan volume 2.
    I bet the quality would have improved.
    Personally, I think the length of novels can be a bane.

keklel and Stark3 like this.
  11. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    Could you please elaborate if the cat only talks, or if it uses words of profanity too.
    Because if the cat starts to talk 'dirty' as well I'll add the novel to my reading list, as I am sure my cats throw vulgar words at me all the time - I just don't understand them.
    I mean what do you expect from someone licking their balls in plain sight and/or trying to touch every surface with their butts?

However, if a novel doesn't deliver what you expect, you can either bear with it or you drop it and read something else.

FluffyCAT and keklel like this.
  12. Lyrad

Lyrad Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If anything, I'm actually gonna start reading this series now.

FluffyCAT and StuffedDuck like this.
  13. Davr

Davr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I already dropped the novel so I wouldn't know the answer to any of your questions.

14. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    What could possibly beat a talking cat, besides more talking cats?

15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    A talking dog that goes "pico , pico"

16. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Boku?

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone got different point of view for this, but yea can't deny what you thought of it. For me, I just think of this as another buddy of MC, well can't be helped after all IT CAN TALK AND do whatever it wants.
    If you had read, then I think you should've noticed. Author mentioned, the cat is with him for few years, its a contact since that cat ate something that MC got by hardworking. Not sure what would happen after contact expires. As for the little girl liking or not liking it, doesn't really matters.
    She says vulgar thing, well not educated kids loves to repeat what older people says. Can't deny the fact, that even my little sister would repeat what my dad says when he gets angry.

GL finding a new one.

If you had dropped it after 130, then I wouldn't have anything to say. After all around chapter 130 - 160, It was too boring and messed up, even that mission of eliminating poisonfangGANG, it felt boring.

This is the biggest fact. It is undeniable !!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Davr likes this.
  19. FluffyCAT

FluffyCAT Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well for me the novels alright in that it don't exaggerate or make the mc super op that he can practically breeze through every plot in the story.

There's some twist which in the first half is about the mc's lucky encounter from where he as a experimental captured subject ended up having his genetics upgraded making him like a half cyborg (mostly his genes: he can calculate like a super computer and understand machine language and such).

The second encounter is with Dias and his gang (P.S. the loli aint a love interest, srzly not all novels with mc meeting loli makes it a love interest). Mc being dragged by Dias to his hunter team makes it a encounter highlighting mc's social interaction (Note; for 3 yrs mc lives as a hunter's shadow, doing their dirty work, after his master *supposedly* and ex-gf died) him being lonely meeting Dias and making friends makes the mc more wholesome, don't want to have an anti-social mc where he walks alone and dies alone here in this novel beside his master lectures him something about people's interaction: that having someone who cares for u (like a true friend/family) is a treasure some peeps aint getting in their entire life. Well for humans are social animals I get that part.

On that note, the loli is someone Dias recruited from a planet they gone to for a mission,where war is currently ongoing, while mc is undercover in school. The loli is a war orphan hence she is not an innocent kid, no prior education hence the "U speak, I copy" makes the loli talks vulgar words. Being in a team of hunters which basically are all older and no females around makes the girl act like the people around her, that and the mc basically treats her as a child/sister.

The schooling part of mc where he goes undercover as some key figures' son is good as said by the one who posted the thread so I'm not gonna highlight there much. If u need just read it.

The 3rd encounter which is the mc meeting the the cat, well dunno if some thinks its not their cup of tea having mc with many encounters but for me so far the story is smooth.
    The cat mc met is from when the team goes off for their regular hunts in a planet somewhere the novel dictates. Mc met the cat by sense of signal and familiarity. The cat is a cyborg, half cat& half machine, base on the story its one of the universe miracle wherein the novel dictates it as a unknown occurance scientist have not yet got any revelations as of yet. Mc being a experiment making him like a half cyborg thru his genes detects the cat hence he practically goes off on his own without his team to know whats it thats making the weird signal of some sort.
    The cat can talk, well for a cyborg cat, it can since it becoming like that enables it to practically evolve for 100 yrs faster than normal animals like it.
    As stated too in the story the thing the mc got from the previous part of the story have some sort of connection to the cat too. It being attracted to the cat and the cat swallowing it enables the cat to successfully evolving itself to being a cyborg. That being said the mc (practically taking advantage of the cats simplicity) dupe the cat into a contract labor of some sort in exchange for the treasure the cat ate from the mc.

The interactions in the latter part makes the team of a cyborg human and cat duo who likes to scheme at people. It makes the novel half a sense of comedic action and not much monotonous talks.

@_@) I gave this novel 4 star read for personal evaluation. can't give 5 star since its not yet completed and the mtl part is not going good. I would have gave it 5 star if I can read it for whole novels worth till end.
    I don't discriminate the thoughts of the poster and the peeps who have read and drop this. It's just for my satisfaction that I replied in this thread.

demn I wrote too much :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

Akiakkun and StuffedDuck like this.
  20. Akiakkun

Akiakkun Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well it gets kind of annoying when he does nothing, like some random kid attacks him cause "they believe he is not worthy to be guan feng's student. and they ganged up to "test" him and this mc only showed a bit power and stopped after that. you asked why? cause the opposite sides stopped attacking. he is said he is not a petty man so he didn't do anything to them even though they attacked him. smh

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022