Spoiler There’s Always a Protagonist with Delusions of Starting a Harem

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by alexfilia, Jul 20, 2017.

1. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    总有主角妄想开后宫

I made this thread for @Mystic Wonders :D

this novel is similar too Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil with the mc hopping from world to world so it can save them from evil harems

pokes @scriptor @kiara8 @LaDyViL @winter-t @Shem @Toyo @krrizis @Novel otaku desu @Hotato @Kittsune

2. Spoiler Curator

Spoiler Curator Hi , Click Edit and Edit My Posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  3. Mystic Wonders

Mystic Wonders Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    readerz and alexfilia like this.
  4. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks (눈_눈) I'm in!

readerz likes this.
  5. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds Interesting, but looking at the tagged people, Its BL, ain't it? (눈_눈)....

7. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad we are well known fujoshi/fudanshi

8. alexfilia

alexfilia Bromance & Fluff <3

Reading List:
    Link
    readerz and Osamaru like this.
  9. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll take that as a Yes.....Bwhahahha. *poofs away*

readerz likes this.
  10. foxymirage

foxymirage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Too many novels to MTL... FML *still proceeds to add into MTL list*

11. krrizis

krrizis Runs Ainushi, Read18 & Chaleuria

Reading List:
    Link
    \o/ I seriously can't MTL. I tried with ABO and then felt like chucking my keyboard.
    With that said, *coughs coughs* who's going to be picking this up, eh eh?

12. winter-t

winter-t Casual Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh, there's a thread for this novel now, thanks for the poke. Since this is a spoiler thread, let me pimp this out a bit.

Personally, I feel like the biggest draw in this novel is how it offers a different take and subverts popular plot tropes. If you've read enough novels, you'll definitely recognize a lot of them. For example, a talented actress that died pitifully gets reborn and takes over the entertainment world, or a modern day guy transmigrates to ancient China and proceeds to wow everyone w/ plagiarism. Sounds familiar, right?

Every arc starts with the System giving MC (and us) the general gist of how the plot is "supposed" to go (which is really funny a lot of the times b/c of the ridiculous nature of just how harems come to be and why it destroys the world), and then it's a wild ride of MC trying to figure out how to prevent that from happening. However, the info that the System gives isn't always 100% accurate, and even when it is accurate, it only shows one side of the story, which can be very misleading. This 'mystery solving' part is one of my favorite aspects.

A lot of the excitement comes from MC piecing together clues and figuring out the "holes" in the plot that he's given, and there's also a lot of humor that comes from that, especially when MC banters with the (cutest) System. MC is always some minor mob that's slated to die terribly, and it's pretty interesting to see how reality differs from what we're led to expect. The zombie apocalypse arc was what really cemented that we're not to trust to world as it's presented at face value.

At first, you might think that this gets repetitive as MC's just destroying harems one after another, but I think the pacing across arcs is quite well done, b/c as soon as you feel like you've gotten ahold of the pattern, it mixes things up to keep you hooked. The earlier arcs are a bit weak imo, but the later arcs get much better and some of them are really exciting.

There is an overarching plot, though that doesn't really kick in until around halfway through, but the foreshadowing starts very early. This is definitely more plot focused than romance/fluff focused, though some of the arcs directly involves their relationship. MC focuses on the mission first before he lets himself be free to focus on his own love life, and after MC's mission is finished, it time skips through MC and ML's lovey-dovey life and jumps into the next world. Even so, it's very obvious how deep MC and ML's love for each other are, and while it's not full of fluff, there's cute interactions b/t MC and ML in each arc.

If you want to see harems getting smashed, this is the novel for you. The only type of harem that this doesn't have is a female protag w/ an all female harem (which is understandable since this is bl and MC's gender stays male in all worlds), but every other combo of genders is present. At first, you might think the harem protags are pitiful since MC is basically destroying their "love life", but in retrospect, it's kind of ingenius that it does make you feel this way at the beginning. However, as the plot progresses and you learn more about the truth, you definitely won't feel pity for any of the harem protags.

I don't know how well this reads in MTL, but since it's very plot focused and has a lot of non-dictionary terminology given the nature of some of the worlds, some things probably won't translate very well. I'm not completely done reading yet, but if anyone has questions about parts of arcs they didn't understand, I can answer what I know.

JoshyM62, Alniyat, Xi-hime and 38 others like this.
  13. smr85

smr85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    can you give summary for each arc you finish like in the FOD summary?

14. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Who is the MC and ML?

15. winter-t

winter-t Casual Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    FOD summary? Uh, I don't really know what you mean, so link please...?

Do you mean who MC and ML are in each arc, or...?

Alniyat and morticia_addams like this.
  16. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Like, in the original world? And how did they get involved with the system

17. Novel otaku desu

Novel otaku desu 『R0 Trickster』『Sleeping Fox』『Desucchi』

Reading List:
    Link
    kiara8 and Kittsune like this.
  18. Mystic Wonders

Mystic Wonders Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love the mystery! But it is harder to mtl this compared to "Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil" so iy made it hard to understand the suspicious deviations from the story until the truth is seduced by the MC. It was also a little funny how the number of harem members increased after each world and the MC's reactions to the growing number. I also love the interactions of adorable system and MC (^_^)

Was it ever explained why one character also showed possessiveness of MC when that person is not ML? That character also owned a dog or pet but wanted to keep the dog MC.

The MC has a car accident in his original world and woke up in someone else's body. That's when system first contacted MC and said that he would have tasks to save different worlds. If he saved the worlds, he would be back in his original world in a good state(probably before the accident). System showed him a progress bar(?) that shows his progress in saving worlds, and system said that thousands of years in other worlds is only a second in his original one. So MC decided to save the worlds.
    MC in the first world was reincarnated to be a fat and useless heir(?). ML was his widower brother-in-law that was supposed to be part of the harem. In trying to stop the love probability between ML and protagonist, MC attracted the love of ML.

This is from mtl, so it is open to corrections and more clarifications :))

JoshyM62, Xi-hime, Zhen_Qing and 14 others like this.
  19. Kittsune

Kittsune Just your everyday Lurking Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye at least you can understand Chinese Mtl. I fail miserably and could not even attempt it. Best I could do is stick to GT with Japanese Mtl or if I really wanna struggle but can still understand, then Vietnamese sources of Chinese novels.

AmySuzyAhn, kiara8 and Mystic Wonders like this.