One Child Policy in Chinese Novels set in Modern Times

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wowafay, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-China_policy

1amdude likes this.
  2. 1amdude

1amdude Nakamatu Agraulek

Reading List:
    Link
    A good read, but i don't find anything related.I wanna know how they deal with this kind of situation.

nevermind. Quora just answered my question.while there's problem here and there, its better than opting on woman sterilization.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Ignus likes this.
  3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Aiiee and Ignus like this.
  4. lynette

lynette Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They don't need to follow this real policy in fictitious stories.

5. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure why people are surprised. For readers from outside of China, the One Child Policy is this oppressive instrument that must surely be a pressing matter for everyone in China. For Chinese citizens, it's a fact of life for the last half century, and it's something that can be worked around if necessary. Realistically, social pressures (housing, child care, working conditions) are going to bear a lot more responsibility for limiting the number of children in a household than the One Child Policy does. Here's a handy reminder: the population growth rate in China is actually higher than it is in Japan or South Korea.

It's not something that's going to play a huge role in a Chinese novel mostly because it's not something that really affects the people's daily lives.

6. SummerX

SummerX Well-known fujoshi

Reading List:
    Link
    A decade is not too long ago. Even after the one child policy became two child policy, a man was forced to have an ligation when he went back to his hometown. For one thing, I don't believe most politicians or the ccp care about how things are done in most places, as long as they get the desired results and the mess can be covered up(ah, it's not the policy's fault nor our fault, we only want to do the good things, but the evil greedy shallow local officials always mess things up!). For another, even the ccp is indeed losing the control of things at a local level these days.

I am Chinese born and raised in China. I am not trying to judge the Chinese moral on abortion based on western values. I don't think abortion is the same as murdering a child and most Chinese don't. The way the ccp government execute the one child policy is against the core belief of many Chinese families, which is why it's met with such resistance. CCP values do not equal to Chinese values. The one child policy is simply evil from the Chinese tradition culture point of view, even though I do not agree with the traditions either. However, I have a huge problem about government stepping into its citizen's personal life and basic rights, whether it's forcing or banning abortion.

Yes, a population control policy was probably very important at that time, but even pragmatically it's done wrong.
    According to many studies, the population control policy was most effective when it's done by educating and making birth-control methods available to people(50s-70s). Population control does not equal to forced one child policy. The FORCED one child policy was unnecessarily cruel, wasteful and lasted for too long. It led to the extreme "only this number of newborns are allowed in this area, even if it's your first child" in some places, and cost the lives of many women and some men. As one of the most emphasized policy, there are too much resources devoted into controlling precisely how many kids everyone has. It contributes to the imbalance gender ratio, serious aging problem and lack of labour China is facing; the latter is why the government is urging people to have a second child now. Shifting from "you should have as much children as possible" to "you can't have a second child" to "you better have a second child" just showed that even the policy makers are regretting their past policies.

The are good sides about the Chinese population control policy, as there are probably good sides about the Japanese invasion(e.g. they built some infrastructures in Dongbei and the invasion was key in the forming of Chinese nationalism). But those are mostly side effects and not the intention of the policy makers, and they are not comparable to the destruction and pain it does.

Ignus likes this.
  7. SummerX

SummerX Well-known fujoshi

Reading List:
    Link
    This only proves how unnecessary the policy is. If a family do not want to have a second child, that's their choice and the policy is not the factor; if the family can work around it, the policy is being ignored; if a family do want a second child but cannot work around it, that's when the policy comes in effect and make people upset. Even though it's not a problem for many people today, it did cause a lot of harm to many families and led to many tragedies. Bear in mind that not every family is lucky enough to escape from it.
    In short, it's an outdated, unnecessary cruel policy that used too much resources, caused a lot of social problems long-term, and hurt the poor and powerless people most.
    People can survive even under the rule of ISIS. I am sure some of its policies are acceptable too. It doesn't mean that people welcome the policy. Just because you are not eaten by the tiger do not mean that you enjoy living with the tiger and ignore the fact that its existence limits your activity in the forest, nor does it mean that the tiger has never hurt anyone.
    Personally I enjoy my life as a single child, and know many families that have multiple children, but I will not cheer the fact that my mum did multiple abortions under the influence of the policy(I am not saying the policy is the sole factor), and those families had to do extra work to work around the policy.

8. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I understand it (I'm not a Chinese in China), it pretty much depends on where you live and who you are. The One-Child Policy is primarily implemented on ethnic Han. If you're a minority, the law is a bit more laxed. Then again, there are also several different factors.

1) If both your parents have no siblings, your parents are allowed to have a second child
    2) If your first child is a girl, you're allowed to have another child. I don't know if this means you can keep trying until you get a boy or if 2 children is the limit to how many children you're allowed to have.
    3) Depending on where you live, you can have more than one child. However, you will be fined and have to pay a fee to register and legalize them. This is important, because if you're not legalized, you can't go to school, get healthcare or a visa. One of my model friend told me that she was one of those illegal children and she never went to school.
    4) Depending on where you live, you can have as many children as you like, but you have to be content with them not being legal. This means you give birth to non-existent children.
    5) If you or your wife is a minority living in rural areas, you can have more than one children.

Now, the above may be inaccurate to an extent as I'm not a citizen of China. I just work as a model in Shanghai for like several months a year. What I know is what I was told.

But I think 1-child policy was such a waste. They destroyed a lot of genetic material there. Chinese girls are among the prettiest, wildest and horniest girls I've met. And the legs, I just want to eat those legs forever.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.