QIDIAN ad-wall, seriously? === Mega-merge ====

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kylarin, Aug 1, 2017.

?

What are your thoughts on this?

1. I CALLLEEDDD IT THE WALL IS COMING!!!

37.4%
  2. Pteuh... Don't even mention their scumbag ass here on this holy ground...

25.5%
  3. Will stick around until pay wall comes then PITCHFORKSSS!!!

27.7%
  4. Meh as long as the paywall isn't too bad I'm all g (I'm also a rich 3rd generation chinese young mas

5.8%
  5. I don't even care anymore

24.6%
  6. Not another Qidian thread... nek me nao...

30.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    i really hate those. i would rather waste 20 seconds going back and forth between videos trying to get an ad with a shorter time or a skip than just sit there and watch those.

kind of been expecting something like this ad thing ever since that 3 second wait to pull up chapters was added, so i'm not even surprised. wonder if it'll upgrade to a video captcha...

2. Yemallis

Yemallis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI isn't a translation group that just translates as a hobby and gets some donations as a plus. They're a business and we knew they would have ads eventually because they need a way to make money otherwise they will end up paywalling their translations. 10 second ads on bonus chapters is really not that bad, plus like people have said there's the app (although I'm not going to bother using it).

Hopefully this keeps any actually problematic monetization away.

3. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having an "adwall" is fine, i don't even mind the "free" viewers being 20 chapters behind, as long as it doesn't disrupt the pace and we don't need to wait to read the next chapter longer than we should have, castle of black iron for example normal release was at 196, 197 should have been posted for everyone today, instead, 197 was posted, and they backtracked to also make 196 a "bonus" chapter.

That's shit, and they're misusing the term bonus chapters, 197 should have been released on schedule for everyone, then an extra X amount of "bonus" chapters posted.

I wouldn't complain if chapter 197 was posted as normal, and they released 500 chapters all with the "adwall" on, as long as the update pace for everyone stayed the same.

4. LesserSarcasm

LesserSarcasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just block qidian and be done with it, I'm glad i only had 3 novels on that site that i read, dropped them the moment i found out about this crap. @Qidian If i wanted to "Support" the translator & author ill do it via patreon i refuse this adwall paywall bullcrap.

5. Unde-kyun

Unde-kyun 【FLOATING】【Rowing a rowboat】

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a bonus when a chapter was released 1-3 days before ad wall~

6. Bro-Shield

Bro-Shield Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Leaving the anti-adblock system apart,Why I have to watch more than 20 ads per day?
    And release daily chapter as a bonus chapter?WTH!

SinsI, Kylarin and mrttao like this.
  7. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI continues to disappoint.
    I wonder if they really will institute a paywall soon, because at the moment i have zero trust in them

8. gauthamc

gauthamc [Dao of the Lonely Island]

Reading List:
    Link
    So if you check any chapter released in the past hour you can see that that chapter and the one before it is adwalled. So hence it is not bonus chapters, it is not latest chapters, it is all chapters henceforth.

I remember them saying that they are trying to make ads unobstrusive. Given that their only "argument" against WW is that the ads on their site is better do I really need to go into the fact that Qidian are a bunch of lying manipulative pieces of shits?

Face it. Qidian don't care about the readers. Does more need to be said when they actually allowed terrible translators like Wuxia Dream into their mix? All they care about is money. It isn't about being paywalled, there are a ton of novels we can read but it is because of all the discord and Cancer Qidian is bringing here and spoiling everyone's mood all the time so that they can satisfy their greedy desires.

9. Yemallis

Reading List:
    Link
    Does QI even do bonus chapters normally though? It seems like every series just has a standard update rate.

What I'm wondering if if a series that releases 1 chapter and 1 "bonus chapter" will the following day do the same and we end up with 3 regular 1 "bonus" or 2 regular 2 "bonus".

10. rofellos

rofellos Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn't bonus chapters. There are even ads on chapters that I read prior to the Ad-wall.

Qidian is taking the model of "Read ahead by doing X" and trying to apply it retro-actively to chapters already released. I would guess they will probably leave them in place permanently and just assume people will eventually click the ads in order to read the novels that they like.

FromAboveHeaven, mrttao and Astaroth like this.
  11. pacify

pacify Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda insane how many die-hard QI supporters there are here. Can't even see how toxic QI is for the translating scene, which they have done nothing but piggyback on once it got popular

12. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with your point regarding WD.

And yes of course they care about money, they are a company not charity. Beside without money, what are they going to pay their translators with ? Nuffies ?

13. joeglens

joeglens Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    QI does bonus chapters at the discretion of the translators

Library of Heaven Path has bonus chapters (in a form of read ahead) if you support the TLr patreon from 5 chapters advanced for $10/month to 50 chapters advanced reading for $200/month

14. genocidegrand

genocidegrand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the ads need to be waited for 15 second on my browser...........
    and i need to click it on all 10 of the new updated tab......
    and all those ads have very loud and annoying noise
    i cant even open my speaker now. and there is no way to mute it too. unless i turn down volume on my speaker directly.

@Qidian can you atleast dont use any sound on the ads please please?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  15. Kylarin

Kylarin Prinny

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, there is a reason why they hired a PR guy to manage their image in NU and wether you agree he's doing a good job or not, there are people that are convinced QI is doing things in good faith and are in the right.
    Just to give you some interesting stats tho...

[​IMG]

(they get about 67% of all their traffic from NU)

mrttao likes this.
  16. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed and so i think its good, regular chapters are unobtrusive ads and 2 bonus chapters have watchable ads which isn't annoying, i just open the video mute the tab and do something else in that min
    I'd recommend what i do to you, which is to mute the tab, muting the whole browser or pc is annoying as can't listen to something else so just mute the tab

checkm8 likes this.
  17. Yemallis

Reading List:
    Link
    You can skip the ad after 10 seconds.

18. gauthamc

gauthamc [Dao of the Lonely Island]

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't get my point. They want only money.

Okay tell me which is better.
    Someone cooking only so they can get money once they sell it or someone who cooks well because they like it and gets more money as a consequence. Every other translator translates because they like it and want to share it. They didn't start translating because there is money here.

Same thing on youtube. Do you see the people doing it only for money getting as much love and loyalty as people who do that because they like it?

19. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I, personally, won't be reading on QI if there are adwalled chapters. There are more than enough alternative sites where I can read what i want to read. Their recent moves leave much to be desired, as does their translation quality. Theres no real reason that makes me want to support them by enduring ads on their page not to mention long video ads each further chapter. Quite a lot of people get off talking about leachers this and leachers that, but what they seem to miss is that without "leachers" there simply wouldnt be any webnovel community like there is today, so feeling superior because you are supporting a company like QI through watching their ads even though they did what they did makes you quite an interesting character in my book, and its most likely just another measure trying to path the way for a paywall anyway.

"Leachers dont get to complain" - so following that statement you shouldnt be allowed to have a negative opinion of anything that gets uploaded on youtube either right? Since you dont actually support the uploader through Patreon or something similar. Not to mention that people that throw around phrases like that most likely have their adblock on full blast anyway.

@That jayster guy, aren't you some gravity staff member that let himself be bought for cheap by QI doing some PR for them? Why is anyone even listening to anything that guy is spouting? Just a lot of PR bull. Nothing he says can be taken seriously anymore.

20. tavi2530

tavi2530 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, people complaining about ads on QI are just overreacting. Even youtube has ads!

Most ads are based on location, and the ones I get from browsing WW are so much worse. I can't even go on their site on my phone without having to use adblock browser due to all the infinite redirect ads they have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.