Discussion I don't like how our brains are programmed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FoolishCarp, Aug 8, 2017.

1. FoolishCarp

FoolishCarp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe in God. (this will not cloud my judgment and rational thinking)

I don't like how we feel sympathy to individuals who suffers through painful life.

I don't like the very concept of "Sympathy" "pity", coming from our brain's ability to feel "Empathy".

We feel "Sympathy" to those who suffer or accurately speaking, "Those who we can see and feel their pain".

The hypocrisy that exists in our brain that ignores the pain of million but empathize with one individual who we saw suffer.

If we can't even imagine how much these statistics hurt, whats the point of us feeling sympathy to small account of people.

If we are going to feel sympathy why not give us the ability to sympathize with statistics, whether it be fake or not.

I dislike the hypocrisy in our logic, and I'm being hypocritical when I say I hate this hypocrisy.

My dislike on these concept will not change anything. I just want to hear your opinion on the necessity for such emotion.

2. abdera7man

abdera7man Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Foolish .. But deep!!
    Welcome to adult world!

3. Deleted member 41274

Deleted member 41274 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you like how your computer is programmed? If not you can write a programm that perfectly fits your taste and then sell it for a lot of money or make your own company called bananas

kenar and Ignus like this.
  4. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, feel empathy for all of earth and die in despair. You can't change the world. But you can help those around you. It's no hypocrisy, hearing is different from seeing, that's why you feel empathy for those you see suffering and most likely don't for those you see on the news. Being there seeing and feeling the person in despair is what triggers it.
    You can either do something about it, being realistic, not idealistic in regard to the scale of your actions or you can ignore it all.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    mayy, kenar, Risus and 2 others like this.
  5. MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN

MEGA SPARTA CHICKEN Planet sized warrior Tony without wisdom teeth

Reading List:
    Link
    banana

6. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly humans are designed to live in small communities.
    It is one of our limitations.
    Think of living in a group the size of your highschool.
    Everyone knows each other. Not many laws are required, and if one person is a criminal, everyone figures it out.
    So we can know the names of 1000(+) people, and respond emotionally to them, but now make it into a million, and....
    Also, this is why larger cities become more Liberal. They need more laws/larger government/Social Shaming/Social Service to control/maintain the population.

If you live in a small town, and something bad happens, you and your neighbors take care of it.
    From giving food/cloths to a poor child, to saving someones life in a fire. In a big city, it becomes someone else's problem.
    In New York, it is rare to even meet your neighbor. Oddly the larger population you live in, the lonelier you tend to be. More shallow social relationships are made.
    This all leads to needing something in charge. It leads to all the "izms".

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    WorthierSky8 likes this.
  7. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    it's what we call life......without it there is no difference from beign death......

8. Silveus

Silveus Never Drinks Mana Pots

Reading List:
    Link
    The feeling of sympathy towards a person you see is a part of how your brain works that allow humans to live in groups, to cooperate and work together.

I suppose, in theory, humans could work together without any form of empathy, but thats not the reality we live in.

9. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    While it may suck, at least you can still feel empathy, even if it is only for those you know or see. Some simply do not feel a shred of empathy for anyone, whether they see or know them. So you can at least take comfort, in knowing that you can feel empathize with others.

10. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's survival mechanism. You emphasize with people you saw who more likely your tribe whom you benefit while other are competitors of resources.

Risus likes this.
  11. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am a small man, my heart is moved by what's in front of me, not by what the world needs.
    - Allen Walker
    D .Grayman ​

Risus, MasterCuddler, Nyamsus and 3 others like this.
  12. cinabre

cinabre ♭♬ ♪ ♮♫ # ♩♭ ♪ ♮♫ #♩♭ ♬ ♪

Reading List:
    Link
    I think pity, empathy are emotions that we feel as a human being because we are a gregarious species.
    Those who can't feel that are called sociopath.

13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'd say that empathy is an effective tool for betterment on a larger scale if every single person acted upon that feeling. It's not a bad thing to feel the need to help someone who is in trouble, it's just that it's sometimes difficult to see and change through statistics.

14. WhiteTiger

WhiteTiger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that if i felt empathy for everyone on earth, i would become depressed extremely quickly...Cause the amount of despair in the world would probably outweigh the amount of joy by a small amount.... And i don't want to be sad...

15. WearyRain

WearyRain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans are limited and thus human society is flawed... and despite that we work some how... I prefer to leave this abyss of thought to those who are willing to write books on it, God know I have too much on my plate already

16. GunPowder

GunPowder Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What does god have anything to do with this? I'm sure he's irrelevant in this argument

17. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    We only care about what happens to others because we know that might happen to us too, that its a possibility. We dont ignore the others, we just dont see them, so therefore that fear isn't usually around.

Shance likes this.
  18. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you worried for the millions of people suffering everyday your brain would explode. People try to ignore things that are "far" from them since they normally can't do anything.

Also, thinking of others all the time is exhausting, you should first love yourself before trying to help other people.

You can't save everyone, it's impossible.

19. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Your word remind Me to a story of "Journey to the west" where at the end of monk's adventure, his wish for world peace only limited to place he known and not beyond it

20. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignorance is a bliss