Discussion Let's talk about Danmachi(specifically the magic)

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Corvo269, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Corvo269

Corvo269 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay. First, I really liked the anime. It was well executed. It was nice seeing an anime feel like basically dungeons and dragons with a immature character like Bell motivated by his immature motivations. The world itself has shown many signs of being complex and the greater role of the adventurers has been hinted in the light novels, but it's nice to see a character grow like that.
    But to the meat of it, the magic and skill system. I like how the author thought it through for each one revealed so far when he stated that the intrinsic magic of each Adventurer is closely tied to his deepest desires.
    Bell got Firebolt and Argonaut as he wanted to be a fast cool flashy hero.

Welf got the anti magic type will o wisp(which causes magic to implode on any target mid casting a spell) cause of his distaste for magic swords(especially his own)
    Lily got cinderella which allowed her to transform into others as she wanred to leave her life of despair of the Soma Familia( and Artel assist skill which eased her burden as a supporter)
    Riveria got that long ass large ass wind spell that I can't remember as she wished to be a free as the wind away from the restricted lives of the elves.
    Mikoto has her gravity barrier spell, where the chant itself hints to how she wishes she can reach the level of her god as Mikoto is in love with the god of her familia
    So. You guys add your own thoughts to this and name any I missed

2. WearyRain

WearyRain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Such a magic system can only be called broken, no balance... in fact, calling such a thing a system might as well be heresy

Edit: Though I can understand why such a broken system is alluring

fanobody, Sordahon, Raobihr and 2 others like this.
  3. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Buddha would have a hard time getting a power.

Edit: Or maybe wanting inner peace can be turned into power?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  4. marine1corps

marine1corps Invisible to all Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean broken? You only get one magic seems pretty fair and they have long cast times most of the time.

5. Corvo269

Reading List:
    Link
    You never played any Dungeons and Dragons did you, and the world of Danmachi isn't a VRMMO, it's not supposed to be fair. The status system the gods use on their familia is inherently broken. Talent, ambition, resources and affinity. They all have their place.
    Also, the stronger the spells, the longer the cast time. Alike a solid minute or more of chanting for the gravity spell, and it requires utmost amounts of concentration and focus. Riveria being the only character shown so far to be able to move(and even fight) mid cast. Also again hinting at her inner desire to run free without being shackled.

Also, everyone only gets one intrinsic magic. Every other spell is learnt the old fashioned way.

6. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    '-'
    When I read thread like this I kinda feels heart break cause people enjoy that kind of broken and without a thought magic system and here I'm thinking about a balance system for my novel in the past 2 months...

Raobihr likes this.
  7. WearyRain

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobwoah: Bell himself already breaks this mould. Remember the stray... Dragon? not sure, it's been a while, but the magic system seems more like a clutch for the author.

Sorry, might seem like I'm hating on the series, while I do find it ok, the magic system has been a point of skepticism for me

8. campfire

campfire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Log Horizon is good and have balanced players, I think? At least to their role in a party.

9. WearyRain

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah unfortunately, was never able to get into D&D...

Hmm... editing previous replies with quotes seem to be a pain

10. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well their party was balance… but i have absolutely no clue about their system.
    Try to image a balance system for game and you will understand how hard it is. ^-^

11. LightOrNot

LightOrNot Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8.

Reading List:
    Link
    Log Horizon's base premise of Naynta being the only player (in their area of 15000 players) figuring out the trick to food is an unforgivably large plothole.

Dbokoont likes this.
  12. Corvo269

Reading List:
    Link
    That was bell using Argonaut and then Firebolt. Bell cannot move during the charge phase of Argonaut(initially, in Volume 11 he can but that takes a while). He needs to focus on an image to intensify the power which is then denoted by a bell being rung.
    His drain on his stamina and mana is also intensified proportionally. Argonaut skill is essentially the charge butoon for all of his other abilities

13. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That was because of his skill argonaut which caused the attack to be much stronger.

14. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I agree with the people who dislike it. The kind of magic where it's "I believe therefore I shall" is basically a deus ex machina they can pull out of their ass whenever shit gets tough.

erowarrior likes this.
  15. Iramohs

Iramohs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the "system" is any more broken than other novels. It's no different than having bloodline abilities, magic eyes, or a massive mana pool.

16. Avil

Avil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He figured it pretty quickly when most players were in despair, considering most players are teenagers and children it's pretty normal.

17. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    the first, is not really a plothole. While several concurrent discovery may occur, being the first to discover is a common event. Now. The delay between the first and the next person's discovery is what unbelievable.

18. Corvo269

Reading List:
    Link
    The innate magic itself doesn't manifest without reading a grimoire or getting a status update, only exception being the renart race who awaken one in their childhood. And it can't be some momentary want or need, it needs to be from the desires of the inner subconscious.
    And again, only one innate magic per person, nothing highly broken about that to be honest. Everyone has a fair shot at getting something useful out of it

19. LightOrNot

LightOrNot Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8.

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember that even those who didn't have the cooking skill attempted to cook food on their own, but it failed and became grey slop. So we're being told to believe that those with the cooking skill never tried the same.

20. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    What if you want to be God? AND what if you want to be ME?!