LCD The Amber Sword

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Yuki, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like he knows about them too. His entire plan from the beginning was to use the war as an excuse to pocket 100% of the profit from the mines thus making taxes chump change. After those golden months have passed he'll probably go back to paying the taxes. However, it stated that the largest portion went to the guy he's about to go to war with so he probably won't ever be paying that.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. c0debreaker6

c0debreaker6 A MANLY Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like Brendel would use standard RPG tactics; lure and kill.
    By the way, I am really amused with Brendel's subordinates' reactions with his mysterious(lol) actions. A Gold-ranked swordsman and also presumed Gold-ranked mage. Kinda like King of Fire Getel and those heroes from the Era of Darkness.

3. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was clearly stated that he didn't know though.

4. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't recall it saying such a thing. Was it some time before chapter 13? Thinking logically you don't think he knew that a lord would have to pay taxes to his lieges and the church? Count Randner is getting most of the profit from the silver mine. Just stopping the taxes going to him would more than cover the taxes from the citizens.

Taxing the citizens gets him around 12,000 Tor a month.
    Monopolizing the mine for 2-3 months gets him at least 10 million Tor.
    At least 3-4 million Tor of that is probably going to Count Randner.

Basically him considering the citizen's taxes as small change is reasonable given his plan.

5. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I went back and found the passage I was referring to. Apparently I misread it.

That aside, there's no guarantee that he'll be able to keep any of it. He's maneuvering that way, but if things don't work out for him, and Radner actually had some sort of legal claim on the money rather than just exploiting his son, then Brendel will likely have to pay all the money, to all three entities and may be charged more on top for being late in paying. Of course, he's the MC, so that's extremely unlikely. He'll still need to pay the crown and the church though, and if the author is being at all realistic, he'll need to pay retroactively. As for how much that is, I don't think it was ever stated.

6. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course he has legal claim on the money. Randner is a Count. His son should be a Baron under him. His son's territory would still be considered part of the Randner County. The MC essentially conquered the territory from Randner. There's no way Brendel is paying him since his claim would come from the fact that the mine is on his land. That's basically acknowledging Randner as his lord.

As for the crown and church. If he helped the princess' side win the war then she'll probably overlook it. The civil war might also make it hard to determine how much money he stole. Then if Madara attacks afterwards they still won't be able to pursue it.

7. silentwolfie

silentwolfie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to kind of divulge future information, Brendel taking over the mine is supposedly all hush hush, although like Jacob says, there's no information if he ever has to pay retroactively if he gets found out (because I haven't read that far).

The thing is, House Randner owns the entire Trentheim territory, and Brendel is stealing from him for that two or three months during the civil chaos in the future. Even if Randner says Brendel stole the money, the latter can just put his palms up and say he didn't, and the Royal Faction would be behind him because he's being useful in curbstomping Randner.

Then probably as an insult to injury, Randner has to pay the crown and the cathedral regardless of whether Brendel steals the money. Lol.

In regards to what Tor Coins are worth

Horse carriage + Driver rental - 30 Tor coins per day
    Silver Trinkets (ornamental) - A few hundred Tor coins
    Mana Potion - 1000 Tor Coins
    Noble's yearly pension - 1000 Tor coins
    Brendel's poisoned weapon sold in auction (Iron-ranked or Tier 1, made by alchemists) - 2500 Tor Coins
    Magic Sword sold in auction (Brass-ranked or Tier 3) - 170,000 Tor Coins

Brendel's annual taxes of 300,000 Tor coins is probably the appropriate taxing for Firburh (population of 30,000), while Graudin is probably abusing it many times higher.

c0debreaker6 likes this.
  8. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you saying that the mine isn't within the territory of the Barony Brendel took over? Otherwise it doesn't make sense that Brendel would be able to lie about taking over the mine since it's not a secret that he took over the Barony.

9. silentwolfie

Reading List:
    Link
    To be exact, Brendel took over the Firburh city and the areas near it, while the territory Trentheim (land split up and owned by 170 other different retainers of Randner) is not under his control.

It is kind of the notion that Brendel owns Trentheim though, since he took over Graudin's territory.

As for the mine, Brendel isn't exactly taking it over entirely in the future chapters like how he took over Graudin (killing the owner and taking it over with his men).

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just going to completely ignore the unmarked spoilers that were posted after this quote, so please don't bring them up if you decide to respond.

As I recall, it was stated that Graudin wasn't the lord of that area as a subordinate of his father, but as a subordinate of the king. Therefore, Radner may not have had any legal claim to the mine or its profits.

11. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems pretty unlikely to me. The royal families don't seem to like Count Randner all that much so why would they break off one of his sons some land? Especially one as seemingly useless as Graudin. That's just throwing good land in the garbage which we actually see because his ran the barony into the ground. Lord Macsen and Lord Palas are also said to his father's pawns but I guess that could be because they were member's of House Randner and were sent over to serve Graudin.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    They actually made a fairly big deal of the fact that he was appointed by the King as I recall. It was one of the reasons that Brendell was reluctant to kill him at first. As for why he was put in that position, it was generally assumed that it was due to his father's political influence, which is repeatedly stated to be considerable.

13. c0debreaker6

Reading List:
    Link
    In Count Randner's eyes, Graudin's lands are garbage. He only made some effort for him since he's his son, but if you would see it in another view, Firburh city is very poor and getting even poorer as Graudin squeeze the citizens of their wealth so it's just a baggage in the eyes of Count Randner.

The civil war in Aouine is getting intense. Count Randner would not waste his time and resources in getting revenge to Brendel, especially if the Princess would be behind Brendel.

14. silentwolfie

Reading List:
    Link
    Trentheim is House Randner's land, but I think there are some mistaken issues here because it's not explained clearly in the raws and my translation might need some tweaking to explain the missing gaps.

House Randner was appointed directly by the crown many generations ago (to fight against the Wilderness and other threats, all the way from the first generation of Aouine). I used Feudal in order to state that they held that position to reflect they were directly appointed by the crown. In Graudin's case, he automatically inherits the Baron title as the third son because his father is a Count. (The eldest son would be a Vicount, and younger sons are bumped lower.)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    c0debreaker6 likes this.
  15. Vincent1873

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, knowing a bit about feudal systems(almost exclusively from GoT and CK2) I figured Trentheim was almost certainly part of the House Randner's land to start with. I didn't feel like looking things up at the moment though.

16. c0debreaker6

Reading List:
    Link
    But I heard that those of Baron and above must be appointed by the king. Is that the case here?

17. silentwolfie

Reading List:
    Link
    Real history vs TAS fakeness:

Eldest Sons and daughters of high ranking nobles automatically inherit the 2nd highest ranked title of their father, including baron to counts, although this is courtesy by the crown. When the father passes, they inherit their father's titles, but before they inherit the title, they are actually commoners in the eyes of the laws.

Younger sons are called Lord XXX and I don't think they inherit titles, but exclusively for The Amber Sword, I treat it as a unique point in it because they are ranked as such.

Extra tidbit, for the case of House Randner, they possess real clout because they have their own private army permitted by the crown (supposedly to battle the Wilderness). This is why Baron Graudin dares to go against the fake Viscount Brendel. Even though the nobles in the court thinks the Randners are barbarians, they generally don't mess around with them.

18. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if he's planning to keep that city or not. He doesn't really need it when you consider Valhalla, but the people there will definitely suffer if he leaves.

19. Arbalest

Arbalest Arcane Knight Anti Mage Honeytrap Devourer

Reading List:
    Link
    He need to cultivate that city if he wants to spread his name and good deeds to attract some nobles to support/invest on him, Valhalla is also a good fortress base but he needs a lot of people to govern that place better and a lot of resources will accumulate if he wants to run both of that territories for the preparation of the upcoming war with madara army.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  20. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    site broke... well wipe.