QI contract

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by abc123, May 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm actually okay with that.

I'd love to fire the zhanxian translator and hire a new one, he's slow and doesn't communicate with the readers to explain the delays etc.

2. sctcooper

sctcooper Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NO WONDER TRANSLATORS FROM GT, CANT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT QIDIAN. HAHA

TheOnlyRavenbrand likes this.
  3. Silvertin

Silvertin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The more I hear about it, and the more I learn of whats going on, I find all the more reasons to just turn my back on Qidian International and not look back. So many terrible things they have done, both from a business standpoint and a moral one. They claim to doing things for the community but we have known and learned long ago that is definitely not true. Their only goal is to line their pockets and forcefully take the foundations built by fans for themselves.

I tried to be neutral about it, seeing what things are for both sides (though definitely pro WW from the start), trying to respect Qidian as a business and their right to try to reach out to markets and such. I was even trying to be quite tolerant despite the absurd things they were doing. But the absurd and wrong things they are doing (and we can only imagine how much worse it is behind closed doors and in the shadows.) Forget it. Not worth forgiveness, not worth the traffic, not worth trusting. Heck that nonsense they were pulling with ad-walling WW novels which were stolen in the first place was bad enough to begin with. They even had the gall to claim "support your translator" which I imagine many for certain can say the actual Translators aren't getting a dime (at least where WW is concerned). All the more so with contested rights, which sure as biscuits QI doesn't seem to have (95% certain, but I am no lawyer.) I can only begin to mention how they seem to remove bad reviews (basically "fixing" the review scores.) lie to our faces about supporting translators. I can only begin to imagine how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I won't say not worth the attention, because by all means, people need to see, learn, and do something about all the wrong things that they are doing. There are some translators that say Qidian is a good thing, as far as I am concerned they either somehow mistakenly believe that for some reason. I mean, maybe Qidian helped them in very important ways for the short term, but who is to say they wont royally screw them over and throw them under the bus when things call for it? Their contract certainly states their willingness and capability to do so, even if we only see the draft. Maybe some of them HAVE to say good things about Qidian, and being threatened in some way behind the scenes with one mother of a beating stick. After all, between the NDA and the contracts, how much wiggle room do they have? Or how much do they realize they have? As I imagine many who signed didn't realize what they were walking into.

Whatever the case may be. I am done even trying to defend what Qidian does, or has done. These contracts aren't necessarily the one straw that would have broken the camel's back, as even hearing just a little bit more bad stuff is enough turning my back on Qidian. But this contract stuff is enough 2 shipments of the proverbial straw right there.

99 others and bookwormer like this.
  4. rofellos

rofellos Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "In light of: [The translator], prior to acquiring authorization from [Qidian], translated [Qidian's] novels without permission, violating [Qidian]'s intellectual property rights and causing [Qidian] to suffer certain losses. [Qidian] has agreed to settle this [privately] on XXXXX date. Both sides have now come to friendly terms and have agreed to abide by the below reonciliation/settlement terms."

I thought the main issue was the "Publishing" of the work. This states absolutely nothing about the publishing. Based on my limited legal understanding from reading several treaties and accords signed to protect translators the actual translating isn't an issue as long as it is for private use. The entire issue stems from the "Publication and Public use" of the work so why in the world does this state absolutely nothing about the publication of said translation and only seems to deal with the actual translation itself which should not have been illegal or banned until such time as it was made public?

5. Logicsol

Logicsol Proud owner of a Toyota Lernlaw

Reading List:
    Link
    QI's TL contract includes the purchase of the translation.

The quoted clause essentially states that there is no grievance against the TL for illegally hosting the work in the past, legally creating a clean slate.

IE if the TL falls out with QI, they don't have grounds to prosecute them for their actions prior to th

6. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Leaving a post here as my landmark.
    Because I know Qidian is going to make history. A really important history to translators and readers now and in the future.

Hahhaa and noisypixy like this.
  7. Maru

Maru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this thread is still alive i see

8. Hahhaa

Hahhaa hereby irrevocably & perpetually waives all moral

Reading List:
    Link
    I just noticed that I never mark my territory in this thread too. My memory a bit blur on day when this thread was made and a few day after that. I remember busying myself, reading numerous post including legal jargon, international treaties and what's not. Maybe that was in another day. I don't know anymore.

But hey, hello people from future \o/
    Future historians, lawyers, bots or whoever you are, I hope you enjoys whatever you doing here. If not, you have my sympathy. :blobsalute:

9. TheOnlyRavenbrand

TheOnlyRavenbrand Death Knight - WW Supporter

Reading List:
    Link
    Remember kids.. With any contract.. You read it very carefully before you sign it.. Because once it is accepted by both parties you are stuck with it.

Mangochic likes this.
  10. Petiepotter

Petiepotter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Devshard

Devshard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Devshard wuz h3r3!

12. Sh1r0r3n

Sh1r0r3n New Year and still a workaholic

Reading List:
    Link
    Shiro-Ren was here and part of the history

13. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just as surprised as you are...

14. SpaceMan89

SpaceMan89 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The biggest issue is if you take the number of translators that actually finish what they started against the ones who drop projects due to personal circumstances, you can bet some people will feel the burn later on.

I said this once before but they should've teamed up and set up a limited liability company (LLC) and negotiated better terms. Set the company up in the EU or US and get some protection, the real crux of the matter is that most if not all did not seek legal advice because it would of cost a boat load. Then you have the weak willed/lazy people who folded without checking everything, probably the younger and underage translators have done this. Older translators who have worked and have contracts probably have enough life experiences to turn this shit down and sit back with popcorn.

QQ wants the cheapest translators with quick profits, I think outside of china they will have less than a few hundred thousand readers for novels they hold the rights to. You have to think that if they wanted a professional teams working for them that they would of paid the thousands of dollars it costs to hire the needed publishing companies outside of china.

If they had paid the going rate for the work this would have never happened.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Tramsloof likes this.
  15. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love how Qi break the humans rights like it was normal and no one even tried to revolt and only rant online xD
    If this get out in the international court this is a hefty fine that Qi will get. I hope they realise they just dug their own grave
    ( well if this contract is real )
    First of all, with the 3.1.c clause, the fact that you have to give any information to maintain the copyright supremacy of Qi means that you have no rights to refuse to divulge said information and the fact that it is ad eternam can be considered borderline too but i'm not sure if it is illegal (even though i strongly believe it is) thus we have Qi that demands for a right to watch over our activities that are not included in the scope of the defined activities.
    We have oir first breach of our rights to privacy which is the 12th article to the human rights described by the UN, sorry to say this but they are translators, they do not work for the NSA.

Then they demand to be able to use your name in your stead... (3.4 clause)
    I won't elongate myself on this but this is a rather severe breach on privacy as well. In fact it is MANDATORY to ask for someone's permission before posting under their name NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES (even if your life is at stake, which is why hospitals have to ask for family before a surgery if the patient is unconscious)
    Thus having access to the usage of your name under those conditions needs you to pit conditions on yourself too Qi as you have to ask the people you are impersonating EVERY TIME, not just once.
    (But that depends on the contry)

And finally we have it, the 10.5 clause which is an outright violation of the freedom of thought and freedom of expression and under no conditions could such a thing ever be eligible ever (under international laws)

However, we have it, what makes Qi so cocky with its contracts, it's the 10.7 law that puts Qi under a domineering juridical advantage as it forces the contractor to be put under either chinese's laws or hong kong's. Which can be considered another violation of human rights, the right to trial.
    However this one is up to interpretation.

Finally, we got Qi who broke 2-4 (depends contry/interpretation) human rights in one contract, 2 being outright violations(10.5, 10.7), and the others being potential ones due to the contract being too imprecise over the details(3.1.c, 3.4).

So neither china nor hong kong have agreed to the humans rights or, if this contract is real, you're in serious violation of the humans rights, which i will remind you ARE :
    INALENIABLE and inherent rights to any human being.
    And finally i shall remind you all that the 29th article stipulates that we have a duty to protect other people's rights.
    And i only see you ranting everyday...
    (Not everyone but a big majority)

Thus you should revendicate your rights to Qi and stop it from abusing from our weaknesses (which is a crime in my country)

And i shall also remind any translator that even though they did not invented the story, they are still the one who put their interpretation of the story into another language and thus its their right to claim ownership over the translation, and the author's over the story and the story only, but not Qi's. Well that's how it should go but not how it goes.
    so good luck with Qi.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  16. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    you are hired as a contractor. ofc you give your damn information if you expect to be paid. this is NORMAL.
    look up for off site contractor for more info.
    you.confuse human rights with your opinions regarding all this and are not objective.

17. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not into this legal stuff much so i may be wrong but true enough i can't be objective on this (not like anyone can be) and my own inexperience to such a field may also be the cause.
    (I also have a strong sense of private life that make me consider wether i could sign such a clause, whoever might be the employer)
    But i said nothing about personal information but the fact that the can impersonate you by using your translator's name. That may even be here on NUF if they consider it in the work of promoting, no matter your previous use of NUF.
    But that may be just me being paranoid or i quoted the wrong clause or misunderstood.

Edit: and i don't remember saying anything related to personal information, maybe you misunderstood something yourself.

18. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    your name for crediting... ffs

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Recouer

Reading List:
    Link
    Aaaahhh !!
    Well i didn't see it that way mb then xP
    But that sure makes sense now even though it doesn't seem clear at first
    Edit: because name can mean a lot of thing, i didn't thought it was in the literal sense without interpretations, since name could mean the alias as well as everything that is related to your online activities, sometimes things gets tricky in my mind xd

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  20. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    this is a contract for CONTRACTORS. not actual employees. which people seem to not know the difference. ofc the contract is tougher, but it is so for any contractor in any country, and for a good reason

Wujigege likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.