Adwall Release Filtering is LIVE!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tony, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badMal

badMal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks. ignore the blob. bunch of hormone driven gray matter deficit juveniles. remember becoming a Mod does not mean the person is also wise and intelligent or evolves into one. :). simply ignore. you are doing good work. i got tired of this crowd of Pavlov's dogs and stop coming to NUF for a while. will again go off , i signed in just to say thank you.

Wujigege likes this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Most often than not people who do good work get a lot of hate. Hate groups have more followers on twitters than even some charities.
    Keep up the good work @Tony

AliceShiki and ongoingwhy like this.
  3. slakids

slakids Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's feature for addwal.......when will you create paywall Blocker? :blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpopcorn::blobpoliceangry::blobpopcorn:

4. Sh1r0r3n

Sh1r0r3n New Year and still a workaholic

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek::blobpeek:@Tony Thank you for your hard work! :cookie::cookie:

I believe the users appreciate all that you can provide :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

AliceShiki and AngelLoufi like this.
  5. Xdivine

Xdivine Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems kind of pointless TBH. The only people I could see this being useful for are people who don't follow, or ever wish to follow even a single novel with adwalled chapters. These people are probably almost entirely people boycotting Qidian due to the drama, so they would be better served to just filter out Qidian International altogether.

If you do follow a novel with adwalled chapters, you can't really use this option because it would effectively filter out the novel from appearing on your front page at all. You would just never know when you have an update, kind of defeating the purpose of novel updates.

For everyone who doesn't care about the Qidian drama, they also can't really use the option because it defeats the second most useful thing this site is good for, finding new novels. It would be kind of silly to block adwalled novels from appearing on your front page since you'd never see novels like TMW which currently has 1131 chapters, only one of which being adwalled, or Swallowed star which has like 560+ which again only has a single adwalled chapter. It kills a lot of the discovery aspect of this site, which again seems kind of bad.

Just my two cents.

ninthlite, Westeller and QI_Meh like this.
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. People boycotting Qidian for shady business practices or other reasons and people refusing to sit through ads to view new chapter releases are actually two different minorities. No relation. The latter just objects to the practice of adwalling the releases, but will absolutely read them when they're not behind the adwall. The former won't read them at all, right?

As far as novel discovery goes, seeing new novels on the front page is a rather strange way to find new novels imo, anyway.

There's the series ranking (on which True Martial World is #11, Swallowed Star #23), novel recommendations on release pages, the random novel search, seeing which LCDs are active, the I'm Looking For... subforum... Directly seeing other novels being translated on a translator's site... I mean, there's just all kinds of different ways you can find new novels to read, and popular novels like True Martial World are not going to escape your radar -- even if their latest chapter isn't listed on the main page due to you having hidden adwalled releases. It's also worth clarifying that these settings *only* hide the adwalled chapter, not the entire novel, or anything weird like that.. if you were confused about that.. so...

But yeah, for the majority of people who just want to track new releases and read them, it's useless.

7. QI_Meh

QI_Meh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see his point though, you described two groups of people: those who hate QI and those who hate adwalls. The former won't read these updates at all, but the latter won't either.
    "They will absolutely read the releases when they're not behind the adwall", but they can't depend on NU to give them update links to "adwall-unlocked chapters" for any books that have an adwall on them.

Of course I understand the decisions that went into the lock icon, coding wise it's sort of a low hanging fruit where though it might only benefit a select few, it doesnt take as much development effort either

8. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    ? They can, though? ... If you use these settings, the adwall blocked chapters will be hidden on Novel Updates, but those chapters will automatically be updated to reflect the removal of the adwall, and you'll see them then.

NU will inform you when the adwall is gone, basically.

9. Primarx

Primarx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you

10. QI_Meh

QI_Meh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh in that case I think I misunderstood the feature. So lets say I want to read library of heaven's path chapters, but only the non adwalled ones. If for example right now on the front page I see a "ch 280 (lock)", after I toggle the new settings, instead I'll see a "ch 277 (no lock)" in its place?

Westeller likes this.
  11. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... As you said. Yes. .. and Novel Updates will automatically check every few hours to see if the adwall on a chapter has been removed. So when it is, you'll see the previously adwalled chapter as the latest release. You can absolutely use NU to track these releases.

(I'm a bit behind on Library of Heaven's Path.....)

12. SlashCrit

SlashCrit 『Young King of ♥』『Lawyer/Bartender』

Reading List:
    Link
    Library of Heaven's Path is one of the best novels right now with these unique arcs. Should catch up and join the fun. Shame if its going to be paywalled in qidian though.

13. QI_Meh

QI_Meh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh i see! I'd only ever used the homepage and not the reading list (so that i could see new books along with my normal releases).
    That's handy! Thanks!

btw I just released the newest chapter of RTW, and though it's adwalled it's not labelled as such :) you might wanna take a look

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2017
  14. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To clarify, you should be checking your reading list to see if the series you follow has unlocked releases.

Let's say you follow series X and it's "adwalled" and the adwall doesn't go away till 3 days. It would likely no longer be on the front releases page since releases are listed according to their release date. It may be on page 2 or something.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    AliceShiki, BlancFrost and Aiiee like this.
  15. kosutapejeng

kosutapejeng Member

Reading List:
    Link
  16. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Which series on nu has a paywall?

AliceShiki, Nom de Plume and Aiiee like this.
  17. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    As a programmer, you have my respect.
    As a fan of webnovels and a member of NU's community, even more so.

AngelLoufi likes this.
  18. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    *This post is just here to bash Qidian again*

I filtered out the adwall stuff. Thanks :)

19. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Please use the report feature on NU if you find a paywalled chapter. (y)

Shance and AliceShiki like this.
  20. ninthlite

ninthlite Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure most people find new novels by the release page? How else are you supposed to find new projects that have just been picked up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.