Request To learn English thoroughly

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Pretender, Sep 10, 2017.

1. NiQuinn

NiQuinn 『Optimistic Pragmatist』

Reading List:
    Link
    I just realized that most, if not all, of my ebooks have been swiped from my broken hard drive. -_- I'll try to look if I still have any. Do you like movies though? Maybe I can suggest some titles for now.

Pretender likes this.
  2. INUHim-SAMA

INUHim-SAMA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the same with Japanese. Anime got to me XD all I can pick out are some words here and there though. On the other hand, I started watching Thai dramas and now, I can understand the language, even the different accents. It's just the writing that frustrates me because I only focused on learning the language verbally;) (A relative kept swearing in thai and I didn't know what he was saying:whistle: I got curious and so picked up the language)

Pretender likes this.
  3. Pretender

Pretender <{Vanquisher}> {(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻}

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, series too.
    Swearing can do miracles. I still remember one of the first things I searched when learning English was "how to swear" (to use in games, lol.)

4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Dumb people - "I'm the best"

Smart people - "I need to improve myself"

mir and Sharudeis like this.
  5. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    Eragon is the book that got me into fantasy to begin with and it has a very broad vocabulary.
    The Chronicles of Narnia were good fantasy too.
    The Lord of the Rings is an obvious choice, but it was a little long winded for my taste to be honest. That said, The Hobbit which was also written by Tolkien was a book I enjoyed a lot.
    Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is a series revolving around Greek mythology and I highly recommend it.
    The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima and the subsequent Seven Realms books is a series revolving around an orphan street gang boss named Hans, nicknamed 'Cuffs' after the mysterious silver cuffs that have been on his wrists for as long as he can remember, and a warrior princess named Raisa, heir to the matriarchal throne. The series switches back and forth between their two perspectives as Han comes to realize his true origins and the origins of his namesake silver cuffs, and Raisa struggles to take on the burdens of royalty despite being more suited to a battlefield. Their paths intersect multiple times as the two try to navigate their way through a world of magicians, assassinations, romance, and grand political schemes.
    Whoops, I accidentally wrote a whole summary... Anyways
    Dan Brown's Angels & Demons, The Da Vinci Code, Lost Symbol, and Deception Point are intricately written mystery books full of history, symbolism, conspiracy, and murder.
    Ender's Game is a sci-fi book I highly recommend. It's about a young boy with a genius IQ going to a training camp to learn how to fight off the invasion of an alien hive mind. While the MC must endure his training, he must also endure the unwanted attention and jealousy that comes from standing out.
    While a lot of Fantasy these days is heavily inspired by Tolkien, The Amber Spyglass is a fantasy novel in the truest sense, much like the Chronicles of Narnia. The series is full of everything and anything the author could think of as a young girl travels from one world to the next in her quest for understanding.
    Road Not Taken is a short story working on the supposition of what if aliens developed technology in a completely different way than us? What if faster-than-light travel had a simple solution and we, humans, had been the only ones who hadn't figured it out? How would our technology be different?
    Flowers for Algernon is a short story I really think would be interesting for you to read. The story is told through the journal entries of a man with an incredibly low IQ, to the point where he can barely read. The plot is that this man is going to be the first test subject of an experimental surgery to increase intelligence. The journal entries record his experience and all the subsequent events that follow the surgery. Besides being a good story in general, one reason I think you should read this is because I think it might help you a lot. You see, because of how the story was told, it had to be written in a certain way. The journal entries of the main character start as being barely legible, like they were written by a 5 year old. The spelling, grammar, and vocabulary of the protagonist increase as the story goes on.

Pretender likes this.
  6. NiQuinn

NiQuinn 『Optimistic Pragmatist』

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure if this will be your cup of tea but here I go:

Movies:
    • Cursed (2005)
    • Hercules (2014)
    • Hot Fuzz (2007) [British movie]
    • Inside Man )2006)
    • Interview with the Vampire (1994)
    • John Wick (2014)
    • John Wick Chapter 2 (2017)
    • Jurassic Park (1993)
    • Jurassic World (2015)
    • Limitless
    • Mad Max Fury Road
    • Minority Report (2002)
    • Mr. Right (2015)
    • Need for Speed (2014)
    • Power Rangers (2017) [It was actually quite good]
    • Push (2009)
    • Stick it (2006)
    • The Accountant (2016)
    • The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014) [Kinda fast dialogue but amusing movie]
    • The Lost Boys (1987)
    • The School of Rock (2003)
    • The Truman Show (1998)
    • The Majestic (2001)
    • Kubo and the Two Strings (2016)

That's all for now o/

Pretender likes this.
  7. Azure

Azure The True Blue Sky

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, we're doing movies too?

Good Will Hunting (1997)
    Anastasia (1997)
    Treasure Planet (2002)
    Fight Club (1999)
    Forrest Gump (1994)
    The Notebook (2004)
    If I Stay (2014) I actually want to recommend the book this is based on but I forgot to add it to the other list. I haven't seen the movie but it doesn't look like it's too bad either.
    Stuck in Love (2012)
    The Art of Getting By (2011)
    Mr. Nobody (2009)
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
    Amelie (2001)
    Leon: The Professional (1994)
    Braveheart (1995)
    The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
    The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
    The Iron Giant (1999)
    How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
    Aladdin (1992)
    Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001)

Pretender likes this.
  8. Wobbly

Wobbly [Unstabbable][He Who Courts Death][Whimsical]

Reading List:
    Link
    Try playing a text based game in english. It'll be fun and a learning experience.