Why no dragon games?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Liea, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
?

Should it be more games were you play as a dragon?

1. Yeah, totally.

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  2. No, it´s more fun killing them.

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other(comments below)

4 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Vrethalya

Vrethalya Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    breath of fire? spyro? old arcade game? there's a lot of game where you played as a dragon.
    i dont see why people think that playing as a dragon is to op, when there's that many game where you played as a god?
    they can fight against a demon? or we can play as a fairy dragon?

Liea likes this.
  3. slakids

slakids Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you become dragon,,that's an overkill.. .. Even some puny human's already have to kill a dragon... . Then what will dragon kill?

4. LostArc

LostArc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are already a couple of games where you can play or control a dragon, but it's been shown that there is a lack of interest from the gaming community. Without enough people to be interested in a dragon simulator, if that is what you're looking for, then there's no profit to be made, therefore no incentive for big name developers to create it. The best chance for such a game are through indie developers whom have more freedom and share the same interest, but produce lower quality games.

5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno, never cared much about this in particular... I mean, playing as a "insert race here" is as bland as "insert another race here" to me... Might as well just give me the generic human instead.

I care a huge lot more about the other aspects of gameplay than the race.

6. sidtz

sidtz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. Bought it and only played it once. =/

8. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    If only there's Drakengard 4 :(

9. Parpaing

Parpaing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with games where you play as a dragon are the controls, it's hard making such a massive thing move around and not have it feel unweildy, which is why most games focus on having the dragon fly or be small and agile.

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're willing to dig into an old late 2000s game, there's I of the Dragon http://store.steampowered.com/app/279720/The_I_of_the_Dragon/ I recall buying a pirated version years ago and getting pissed because it had high graphic requirement and my crappy pc couldn't handle it, so everything was lagging because my GPU sucked.

It's probably the only true dragon simulator game. It was unfortunately ahead of its time and post release, the developer had a falling out IIRC and much of the source code was lost in time. Fan coders managed to provide some patches to the bugs and the rest were handled by steam programmers. I don't know how it runs now, but back in the day, it was awesome, despite it lagging on my crappy pc causing me migraine.

It was a time of legend, when game developers, praised be to them took chances and made games that were niche and different instead of the same old stuff that would've certainly made money. A time when games were about adventure and not about money. A time before EA, before Sierra fell from grace. A time of myths, where broke game developers sat in their basements coding games that could've been a hit or a bust, but still worth the effort because "I did it my way".

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Khatulistiwa and kenar like this.
  11. MagneticMagnet

MagneticMagnet Well-Known Magnet

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a couple of dragon games I've spotted on Steam. Can't vouch for the quality since I'm just following them but they all look like there's some major flaws in each. Don't expect too much. Sorry for no links but can't apparently post those before 5 posts. Just search for them in Steam except the fourth one.

Dragon Souls
    Online PvP game as dragons coming "soon" at early access.

Dragon The Game
    Another early access game 3 years in the making without any real progress.

Dragons and Titans
    This one's been out for a while and apparently on it's way to death. A F2P MOBA.

Then there's an older game Drakan: Order of the flame. It's not exactly what OP was looking for since you only ride a dragon but I liked the flight parts when it came out almost 20 years ago. That said, the last time I tried to install it, it didn't really like to work on a modern widescreen resolutions.

12. Sangnz

Sangnz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Divinity: Dragon Commander this is an odd one as it is an RTS at its core with a strategy map reminiscent of a Total War game, plus there is an on going story that changes based on the decisions you make, but during the RTS section is is possible to spawn yourself in and fly around the battlefield supporting your troops.

13. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link